PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Put a 320 RX Through its Paces Yet?

Talon167
07-06-17, 12:59
I've never owned an RDS equipped pistol and the 320C RX has my interest piqued. However, I am inclined to be suspicious on how they can make that package for the price when the gun/sights/RDS all cost about $100ish more than just an RMR. I fear the weak link is the Romeo1 on top.

Anyone have an RX with a fair amount of use? 5000 rounds or so.... or enough to be confident in the Romeo1's longevity?

Thanks,

Wake27
07-06-17, 13:30
Wondering as well. I think I saw over on PF that someone said Sig was working on ruggedizing their Romeo 1. I know everybody assumes they're junk because they're supposedly made by Holosun in China or something, but I know of at least one LE guy that recently went to the Sig Academy and is a huge fan of everything they have, to include another one of their optics. The reticle was impressively crisp and when I asked about durability/reliability he said they've beat the hell out of them without issue. The optic and MCX it was sitting on looked like he wasn't exaggerating. But on the other hand, Jagerwerks just added the potion for a 320 RMR cut.

TAZ
07-06-17, 13:32
Not sure if enough are out there yet. I have yet to see one in stock in my area. The RMR is a premium piece of kit and carries a matching price tag. IMO Sig is tossing the Romeo 1 out at cost when u buy the RX kit which is why the kit price is so affordable. Playing loss leader on the optic to make $$ on the gun and continue to build momentum on the 320 family. Not a bad idea.

I too would like to see some reports back as they seem like an affordable way to get into an optic ready handgun.

marh415
07-07-17, 08:29
Hoping to get some feedback as well. So far YouTube has been the only review source and seems to be good. I took the last 9mm compact in stock last week from the local dealer and he had already sold the last 3 full size versions that day. So it does seem to be a hot seller.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sam
07-07-17, 09:00
Maybe we can get our moderator Greg Bell to buy one and run his "break my ..... gun" test.

Pappabear
07-07-17, 11:54
That gun interest me as well. I bought one of their new T1 knock offs (Romeo 5) and that damn thing feels like it's built like a tank. And the knobs are crisp and the RDS brightness is perfectly consistent from one brightness level to the next.

I.e., on my cheaper aimpoints, you adjust brightness levels and it will go from dull to a little brighter to starburst. I spent $150 on the Sig and it blew my socks off for the price.

I know this is not the other romeo that goes on pistol, but it speaks to the effort Sig is making. They are slowly winning me over. They have gotten more than their fair share of my income with cans-guns and now RDS.

I think they made too many rifle scopes in an already crowded market so I haven't dabbled in that mess.

PB

Wake27
07-07-17, 13:21
That gun interest me as well. I bought one of their new T1 knock offs (Romeo 5) and that damn thing feels like it's built like a tank. And the knobs are crisp and the RDS brightness is perfectly consistent from one brightness level to the next.

I.e., on my cheaper aimpoints, you adjust brightness levels and it will go from dull to a little brighter to starburst. I spent $150 on the Sig and it blew my socks off for the price.

I know this is not the other romeo that goes on pistol, but it speaks to the effort Sig is making. They are slowly winning me over. They have gotten more than their fair share of my income with cans-guns and now RDS.

I think they made too many rifle scopes in an already crowded market so I haven't dabbled in that mess.

PB

Is that the one that can switch reticles between a dot and an Eotechish circle with a dot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pappabear
07-07-17, 16:43
No it's pure RDS, like aimpoint

jpmuscle
07-07-17, 16:56
No it's pure RDS, like aimpoint
And at that price point it doesn't suck?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Pappabear
07-07-17, 17:06
That is for sure.

WickedWillis
07-07-17, 17:46

PB

I shot one of their T1 style knockoff's on an MP7 at Battlefield Vegas last weekend and I was actually surprised with the clarity of it. It was my first experience with their electro optics line.

My LGS has the RX for $1100, so......

Nightstalker865
07-07-17, 17:55
So far I have 400rds through my P320-C RX. The gun has run flawlessly and the optic is holding zero and works well. This is a very low round count, but so far I am impressed with it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170707/80528b8e714c00514c5cea41be2d2018.jpg

jstalford
07-07-17, 18:06
I'm keeping my eye for deals on one. I want to get a compact and swap slides with my threaded carry and put an s/c grip on the compact for carrying.

Wake27
07-07-17, 19:06
So far I have 400rds through my P320-C RX. The gun has run flawlessly and the optic is holding zero and works well. This is a very low round count, but so far I am impressed with it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170707/80528b8e714c00514c5cea41be2d2018.jpg

Definitely keep us updated. There is a cut in the body of the sight to make it easier to co-witness right? Would that notch work as a rear iron in a pinch? I'm trying to understand the logic of the X-Carry having the rear sight on a removable plate that can be swapped for their Romeo1. That would mean that their carry version of the X-Five wouldn't be able to have a red dot and rear iron, it's one or the other.

marh415
07-07-17, 20:18
Definitely keep us updated. There is a cut in the body of the sight to make it easier to co-witness right? Would that notch work as a rear iron in a pinch? I'm trying to understand the logic of the X-Carry having the rear sight on a removable plate that can be swapped for their Romeo1. That would mean that their carry version of the X-Five wouldn't be able to have a red dot and rear iron, it's one or the other.

Interesting you brought that up. My father picked up the two tone RX last weekend. One thing I noticed was that it didn't have a rear sight, just a plane front sight. It was a special for $699. I didn't handle it, but now I'm interested to find out as well.

jstalford
07-07-17, 20:26
It does have a cut but supposedly not that great for using as a rear sight.

Wake27
07-07-17, 21:45
Interesting you brought that up. My father picked up the two tone RX last weekend. One thing I noticed was that it didn't have a rear sight, just a plane front sight. It was a special for $699. I didn't handle it, but now I'm interested to find out as well.

It didn't have a rear sight at all?

It does have a cut but supposedly not that great for using as a rear sight.

That's what I figured, though someone over on another forum said that their's didn't even have a notch IIRC.

Talon167
07-07-17, 21:49
The one at the LGS did have a rear sight and the Romeo1 did have notch so you can see "through" it with the rear sight.

For those that have seen them locally, what're they going for? The LGS had the 320C RX for $690. That particular place kind of known for having higher prices on guns but it's the first I've seen in person. The street price was quite a bit lower than I thought it would be give that's only ~$150 more than a standard 320 (at that place anyway).

jstalford
07-07-17, 22:01
$690 is the best I've if it's the model with the rear sight.

Dave From Montgomery
07-07-17, 22:34
I like the gun, like the sight, like the co-witness in case the sight is in-op, hated the slide release, too short for my thumb, tried 2 different guns.. that was a no go for me

marh415
07-07-17, 22:42
It didn't have a rear sight at all?

That's what I figured, though someone over on another forum said that their's didn't even have a notch IIRC.
Nope, he picks his up Monday so I'll be able to take a closer look. There is a notch in the sight where the elevation adjustment is. His sight also sits further back on the slide then mine as a result.

marh415
07-07-17, 23:02
So apparently it's an Elite Dealer Exclusive with a Dawson front sight. It retails right around the $699 range. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170708/2a6a6e92d6d486aa2a87ed91b07a679a.jpg

Wake27
07-08-17, 00:17
Yeah that's a similar sight setup to the X-Carry. Doesn't entirely make sense to me, they're putting a lot of faith in that optic.

Talon167
07-09-17, 17:13
Yeah that's a similar sight setup to the X-Carry. Doesn't entirely make sense to me, they're putting a lot of faith in that optic.

I agree. I'd much prefer a real rear sight like the picture on the previous page.

They did something similar with the 320X-Five. It does something similar. It comes with a rear sight, but it's a part of the rear cover plate. Take the plate off to add an RDS, lose the rear sight, and there's no dovetail to add a new one. I often scratch my head on why some of these decisions are made.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/3/2/320x5-9-bas.jpg

Wake27
07-09-17, 18:26
I agree. I'd much prefer a real rear sight like the picture on the previous page.

They did something similar with the 320X-Five. It does something similar. It comes with a rear sight, but it's a part of the rear cover plate. Take the plate off to add an RDS, lose the rear sight, and there's no dovetail to add a new one. I often scratch my head on why some of these decisions are made.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/3/2/320x5-9-bas.jpg

I get it for the X-Five because that is their competition gun. But since the X-Carry is supposed to take the added features of the full size and tailor it for a carry role, they should've left that one out.

Leonidas24
07-10-17, 01:00
The two examples of factory P320's with Romeo 1's on them I've seen have both had issues. The first was early June and that customer ended up sending it back to Sig after the optic kept shutting off in the middle of strings of fire. The second was last week when a customer offered to let me shoot his P320 full size 9mm with Romeo 1. I had trouble finding the dot several times and thought I didn't have a good sight picture, but the issue was it kept shutting off after each shot, and required me to press the button to turn it back on. YMMV I suppose.

dougwg
07-10-17, 11:11
The Romeo 1 is a fragile POS not suitable for a personal defense firearm. /endthread

TacticalFun
07-10-17, 12:04
I just sold mine. The Red Dot was terrible, grip was terrible, sight picture was terrible....trigger was terrible and I put the Apex Trigger on and it was still terrible. But that is just my opinionhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170710/c16f0612f450a0c722292dee96959d82.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Vegas
07-10-17, 12:27
The fact they were slow to hit the distributers from Sig did me a favor. I was on sign up lists everywhere to be notified when they came in but got tired of waiting and bought a regular compact. I had my reservations about the durability and I'm not seeing anything overly positive about the red dot that's making me feel better about it.

austinN4
07-10-17, 13:40
This thread is disheartening. I too was lusting for a RX but I'll just be happy with my regular compact given what I am reading here.

Nightstalker865
07-10-17, 16:51
The Romeo 1 is a fragile POS not suitable for a personal defense firearm. /endthread

Care to elaborate?

Nightstalker865
07-10-17, 17:15
I just sold mine. The Red Dot was terrible, grip was terrible, sight picture was terrible....trigger was terrible and I put the Apex Trigger on and it was still terrible. But that is just my opinionhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170710/c16f0612f450a0c722292dee96959d82.jpg

Care to elaborate on your issue with the optic and sights?

TacticalFun
07-10-17, 17:22
Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThe optic has a lot of parallax and I think it is too tall. The short slide in the high bouraxis does not make a good combination for me. Also the battery lasts like 2 days in the optic

Wake27
07-11-17, 01:22

You're the only person I've ever seen say that about the grip or trigger.

TacticalFun
07-11-17, 06:35
You're the only person I've ever seen say that about the grip or trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkPeople like spongey triggers?

Talon167
07-11-17, 16:02
Little bummed to be reading some of the poor reviews. I think I'll wait it out. I am not in a huge hurry to get an RDS on a pistol; it would've been more of a toy.

So now I can shift my wants to a 320 X-Five (thinking compact). Anyway, there's always the 'next one.'

TacticalFun
07-11-17, 16:03
Little bummed to be reading some of the poor reviews. I think I'll wait it out. I am not in a huge hurry to get an RDS on a pistol; it would've been more of a toy.

So now I can shift my wants to a 320 X-Five (thinking compact). Anyway, there's always the 'next one.'I have the X and it is light years ahead of the rest of the 320 series.

marh415
07-11-17, 16:17
The two examples of factory P320's with Romeo 1's on them I've seen have both had issues. The first was early June and that customer ended up sending it back to Sig after the optic kept shutting off in the middle of strings of fire. The second was last week when a customer offered to let me shoot his P320 full size 9mm with Romeo 1. I had trouble finding the dot several times and thought I didn't have a good sight picture, but the issue was it kept shutting off after each shot, and required me to press the button to turn it back on. YMMV I suppose.
I had the same issue with mine first day out to the range. After a little bit of research, it turns out that a lot of those issues stem from the battery cap not being tight enough. The tool they supply doesn't give it enough torque. So a fresh battery and a bit more torque with a screw driver and I was good to go next day. Mine shot low left at 15yrds, so some adjustment was necessary as I assumed. Only 300 rounds though it, but so far no regrets.

PaLEOjd
07-11-17, 18:49
I have the X and it is light years ahead of the rest of the 320 series.

The X-Five model should definitely be above and beyond when compared to the standard P320 pistols. The price difference alone should be the first indicator of that, it's a few hundred dollars more.

I've been wanting to buy one since Sig first introduced this model and was calling it the "target model" a while back (assuming it's the same model that was shown before, it appears to be).
I haven't had the chance to actually handle one but it seems it may be a little more comfortable and controllable than the standard P320 pistols. Looks like the frame design allows for a higher grip with the undercut trigger guard and bore axis height change in the new grip design.

When it comes to the standard P320 line, I've had absolutely no issues with my Compact model. It's been extremely reliable and is rotated regularly in place of a G19 for off duty carry. The only complaint I had was the OEM trigger, it would sting my finger after a while. That issue was easily taken care of by purchasing the flat faced Apex trigger shoe, no more sting. Sig was willing to replace the trigger shoe on their dime with the newer Adverse trigger but I didn't want my pistol out of service for weeks.

Wake27
07-12-17, 01:27
I had the same issue with mine first day out to the range. After a little bit of research, it turns out that a lot of those issues stem from the battery cap not being tight enough. The tool they supply doesn't give it enough torque. So a fresh battery and a bit more torque with a screw driver and I was good to go next day. Mine shot low left at 15yrds, so some adjustment was necessary as I assumed. Only 300 rounds though it, but so far no regrets.

I forgot all about that. I read several posts saying the same thing a few weeks ago.

marh415
07-16-17, 19:42
Had the Apex Advanced trigger dropped in mine yesterday after dry firing another P320 with one installed at my local dealer. Took it to the range and put another 100 rounds through it today. The new trigger is so much better than the stock one IMO. Other than the battery cap issue, I've had zero issues with it.

jmoore
07-16-17, 20:13

So now I can shift my wants to a 320 X-Five (thinking compact). Anyway, there's always the 'next one.'

As a geezer with declining vision, I have to say that RDS is THE way to go, especially with co-witnessed irons. I have a Trijicon RM 06 on my Compact (along with the Apex trigger that drops the pull weight) and to use the vernacular of the younger folks - it is AWESOME!!!!! 25 yard headshots all day long. Can't wait to get it out at a 100!

OTOH - I now have ~ $1400 in this awesome pistol, and many won't want to do that. FWIW - Trijicon is due to release the next gen optics that are supposedly even more rugged.

john

Wake27
07-16-17, 20:53
As a geezer with declining vision, I have to say that RDS is THE way to go, especially with co-witnessed irons. I have a Trijicon RM 06 on my Compact (along with the Apex trigger that drops the pull weight) and to use the vernacular of the younger folks - it is AWESOME!!!!! 25 yard headshots all day long. Can't wait to get it out at a 100!

OTOH - I now have ~ $1400 in this awesome pistol, and many won't want to do that. FWIW - Trijicon is due to release the next gen optics that are supposedly even more rugged.

john

The Gen IIs are already out. Who did your slide work?

MegademiC
07-16-17, 21:34
What king of 10 shot groups @25yds are you guys seeing with these and/or the x-5?

Please specify if benched or offhand- thanks.

jmoore
07-16-17, 22:22
Suarez International did all of the slide milling and installation.

25 yd groups are 2-3" offhand. Using paper plate as target with center hold for symmetry.
Seventh decade eyes with severe myopia and astigmatism, as well as retinal detachment wih laser spotweld re-attachment on dominant eye.
In other words - DAMN GREAT grouping for this old fella.

john

marh415
07-17-17, 10:07
Agreed 2-3" groups at 7-10 yards for me as well. Very happy with it. I actually put a deposit on the full size Tac Ops version this past weekend.

Nightstalker865
07-17-17, 17:39
Well mine is headed back to Sig....

Take down lever is obnoxiously hard to turn. I'm tired of messing with the guide rod, pushing down on the slide, and holding my mouth just right to make it rotate. It shouldn't be a difficult task.

The front sight has also decided it wants to go for walks from edge to edge in the dovetail. You can watch it walk back and forth while firing.

Also the lever that pops up to disengage the striker block stays up when the slide is removed. You have to pry it down with something to allow the slide to get over it. That's is "if" you can get the slide off. As of right now it's stuck on the frame. Finally did the dance and got the lever to turn and now the slide has decided it doesn't need to come off.

The gun has 600rds through it now and is about as useful as a fancy paperweight. Hopefully Sig takes care of it without too much headache. I really had high hopes for this thing, but it's not looking good right now.

Wake27
07-17-17, 20:39

Take down lever is obnoxiously hard to turn. I'm tired of messing with the guide rod, pushing down on the slide, and holding my mouth just right to make it rotate. It shouldn't be a difficult task.

The front sight has also decided it wants to go for walks from edge to edge in the dovetail. You can watch it walk back and forth while firing.

Also the lever that pops up to disengage the striker block stays up when the slide is removed. You have to pry it down with something to allow the slide to get over it. That's is "if" you can get the slide off. As of right now it's stuck on the frame. Finally did the dance and got the lever to turn and now the slide has decided it doesn't need to come off.

The gun has 600rds through it now and is about as useful as a fancy paperweight. Hopefully Sig takes care of it without too much headache. I really had high hopes for this thing, but it's not looking good right now.

Recentish purchase or had it for a while?

Nightstalker865
07-18-17, 04:12
Recentish purchase or had it for a while?

Purchased in June.

Tequila45
07-19-17, 21:42

The lever is very difficult to turn by hand even after 500-600 rounds or so. I just use the bottom of the magazine to push the lever down. No need for me to send it to sig.

Nightstalker865
07-21-17, 22:30
The lever is very difficult to turn by hand even after 500-600 rounds or so. I just use the bottom of the magazine to push the lever down. No need for me to send it to sig.

If that is acceptable to you, then drive on.

marh415
07-24-17, 09:01
Mine is going back today, front sight will slide right out of the dove tail. Kinda bummed, but shit happens.

marh415
07-24-17, 09:49
Please remove

modelbuilder56
07-24-17, 18:46
Picked up a 320C RX yesterday installed the battery in the optic and it worked as it should. Took it to the range today and all the dot would do is blink and I couldn't get it to turn off without even firing a shot! Called SIG they said replace the battery which I did and that changed nothing. The optic is on it's way back with a 4-6 week wait for a replacement!!

marh415
07-24-17, 18:52
Picked up a 320C RX yesterday installed the battery in the optic and it worked as it should. Took it to the range today and all the dot would do is blink and I couldn't get it to turn off without even firing a shot! Called SIG they said replace the battery which I did and that changed nothing. The optic is on it's way back with a 4-6 week wait for a replacement!!Sorry to hear that. I had the same issue. A new battery and some extra torque on the battery cover solved it.

modelbuilder56
07-24-17, 20:34
Sorry to here that. I had the same issue. A new battery and some extra torque on the battery cover solved it.

Tried that and it still acted the same, pretty disgusted right about now .