PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide between a PWS MK116 Mod2 and LWRC DI

georgeib
07-07-17, 13:39
I'm trying to decide between a PWS Mk1 Mod2 and a LWRCi DI. Any experiences or thoughts on the matter would be appreciated. I'm not necessarily enamored with the fact that the PWS is a piston gun, but I do like that it's a long stroke piston like the AK vs the typical tappet design found in piston ARs. I also prefer the PWS's aesthetic. The DI version of the LWRC is undoubtably a sweet rifle also, and is now priced dramatically lower than it's competition (DD, BCM, KAC, LMT, Larue, etc).

I'm able to get a new PWS for only $1450, or the LWRC for just over $1000. However, the PWS already comes with a "premium" trigger, a ZEV SSR single stage, whereas the LWRC comes with a BCM version of a milspec, meaning it will be getting a Geissele SDE ($240).

The PWS.

The LWRC.

Torquetard
07-08-17, 10:40
No experience with the lwrc but the mod 2 is really good. It's stupidly over gassed on the unsuppressed setting (probably for tula), so I use the first suppressor one, and it shoots realllly soft and still locks back while being able to shoot as fast as I can pull the trigger. Also it might just be mine, but out of about 40 mags, I only have 15 that drop free. And don't pay $240 for a G trigger you can find them for way less if you look. With the right ammo it's without question sub moa.

Edit that being said, I would just go for the lwrc. The Pws system aside from the adjustable gas block is great, when it comes time to remove the knob for cleaning the piston pipe, the spring detent thing (at least on the mod 1) that holds it in place can get dented because the spring gets stuck from all the heat and carbon. They will take care of you but it's no fun waiting on replacements

georgeib
07-08-17, 11:58
No experience with the lwrc but the mod 2 is really good. It's stupidly over gassed on the unsuppressed setting (probably for tula), so I use the first suppressor one, and it shoots realllly soft and still locks back while being able to shoot as fast as I can pull the trigger. Also it might just be mine, but out of about 40 mags, I only have 15 that drop free. And don't pay $240 for a G trigger you can find them for way less if you look. With the right ammo it's without question sub moa.

Edit that being said, I would just go for the lwrc. The Pws system aside from the adjustable gas block is great, when it comes time to remove the knob for cleaning the piston pipe, the spring detent thing (at least on the mod 1) that holds it in place can get dented because the spring gets stuck from all the heat and carbon. They will take care of you but it's no fun waiting on replacements

Good to know, thank you for sharing that.

nate89
07-08-17, 12:04
I have tried many of the ambi lowers out there, and I find the PWS to be one of my favorite, especially the mag release. I have the MOD2 lower and I find it the best part of the rifle. As far as adjusting for suppressed use, I prefer the bootleg adjustable carrier in a quality DI gun vs. the adjustable piston on the PWS. If you want another option, the PWS lower with a good DI upper like a BCM would be another option. BCM even has factory upper options with the bootleg forend that the MOD2 comes with if you really like it.

georgeib
07-08-17, 13:12
Well, I found a smokin' deal on a PWS MK116 Mod2 for $1275 shipped with the ZEV SSR trigger and a $200 PWS factor rebate! Jumped on it. At that price who wouldn't, right?

Now the waiting...:cray:

nate89
07-08-17, 13:13
Well, I found a smokin' deal on a PWS MK116 Mod2 for $1275 shipped with the ZEV SSR trigger and a $200 PWS factor rebate! Jumped on it. At that price who wouldn't, right?

Killer deal! You'll have to post about how you like it when it eventually comes in.

georgeib
07-08-17, 13:14
Killer deal! You'll have to post about how you like it when it eventually comes in.
Can't wait to!

JRHorne
07-23-17, 09:17

WHERE??? I thought mine was a good deal at $1680 shipped.

georgeib
07-23-17, 09:43
WHERE??? I thought mine was a good deal at $1680 shipped.Gunbroker. A dealer was selling his personal rifle with only 20 rounds through it. After receiving it, I can attest that it certainly looks unfired.

JRHorne
07-23-17, 11:27
Gunbroker. A dealer was selling his personal rifle with only 20 rounds through it. After receiving it, I can attest that it certainly looks unfired.
Awesome. I'm enjoying mine so far, still trying to decide on glass. Think I'm going 1-6 Accupoint.

georgeib
10-09-17, 11:32
Just had a question from a member wondering how I like my PWS Mod 2. Thought I'd update this thread with my reply to him.

I would definitely buy it again. Super sweet rifle made even sweeter by the ridiculously good deal I got.

What I've learned: A) the barrel needs a good amount of breaking in, likely because of the insanely hard surface treatment. After a longer than usual break in (compared to a standard 416 barrel) it now is definitely a sub moa shooter if I do my part with good ammo. B) The ambi controls are "meh." If I could change anything, I would get rid of the ambi controls. They don't bother me, I just don't find them useful. I'm just used to a standard AR, I suppose.

What I've changed: A) Trigger is a Geissele SSA, B) Safety is 45 degree from Armaspec (I like it, and it doesn't hit my trigger finger like the original safety), C) Safety detent (the original was kinda mushy, so I put in a RRA detent and that fixed it). D) Also added a 2mm spacer under the detent spring to give it a bit more resistance. E) Replaced the sweet FSC556 muzzle device with an AAC flash hider. F) Sprinco "Hot White" carbine spring. Which still allows me to shoot standard 5.56 in the middle gas position, and gives me the option of going to position 1 if the rifle were to get super dirty and sluggish. Tried the Sprinco Blue, but it made the rifle unable to cycle in the middle position without a can.

My favorite AR for sure.

MSparks909
10-09-17, 21:29
Both the MK116 and MK111 Mod 2s are on my radar...never owned a piston AR and I like what PWS has to offer.

hk_shootr
10-10-17, 05:47
I’ve had the Mod2 for about six months. It’s a phenomenal piston offering.

Hammertime
10-10-17, 20:14
I went MOD2...
Knights Armament SR-15 MOD2 E3 URX4 Burnt Bronze.

Sorry couldn't resist!! Best of luck and let us know how it all works out! I will say I want the little PWS DIABLO. It's on my hit list with a SCAR17 and MK18 clone.

HT