PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Combat EDC-X9 vs Browning Hi Power

Sam
07-09-17, 09:33
Instead of adding this lengthy babbling to the X9 thread, I'm doing it as a stand alone.

EDC-X9 - new design, hot new off the press, everybody wants one ... well almost. Grip frame based on Astra A70, backstrap based on Browning BDM. A friend just picked up from his dealer yesterday. When he handed it to me, it had a total of 30 rounds. My first shot was #31.

Hi Power - A gun that John Browning didn't finish, almost old as dirt. This one manufactured in 1994, recently customized by Kent Singletary, the best kept secret Hi Power 'smith. It had a few thousand rounds prior to the custom work and probably 700-800 since the conversion. To this day, zero malfunction.

Ammo for both guns were off the rack, bulk Remington UMC 115gr ball.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/20170708_125625.jpg

First accuracy test was standing, off hand at 10 yards, 10 shots. 3 observers remarked that the first shot from the X9 hit the X. The X9 target is on the right, HP on the left.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/20170708_140719.jpg

The gun was passed around between the four of us. Then I went to the 25 yds. off hand and 25 rounds. I'm half blind, shaky as a dog trying to **** razor blade (stole that from LAV) or a hooker in church (another stolen line).

Again, HP on the right, X9 on the left.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/20170708_140636.jpg

The X9 is more capable than that, I didn't have time to bench it as we tried to do other things and get 4 shooters through.

The next test was THE TEST. 10 yds, 10 shots and 10 second, it's supposed to be shot at an NRA B8 center, but I don't have it. The target I used is actually tougher. I didn't keep the targets but the X9 passed it (shot the course clean) on the second run, the group was about 4 inches. The first run was low left and it was my fault as I shot faster than I should. I ran the same drill with the HP twice also, and both times I failed it because of the low left disease, mine, not the gun.

We also shot a Sig Legion 229 and a Wilson Protector II 9mm. Of the 4 guns, the X9 seemed to have the least muzzle flip, recoil was straight back. The accuracy was about the same between the X9 and surprisingly the the 229!. The HP and PII were slightly behind, but not much. The HP grip felt better for me in MY hand. The X9 even with the small backstrap felt thicker to ME.

Only accurate and reliable guns are interesting. The X9 and the other 9s that we shot yesterday were that. One guy brought his Kahr that just didn't run right, failure to eject/extract/fire, thought about telling him to take it to a pawn shop, but I kept my mouth shut.

My buddy the owner of the X9 loves shooting steel, so he shot everything on the steels. I prefer paper as it will give you record of the shooter's performance and the gun's. Yes steel will give you instant miss/hit indicator but it doesn't really tell if the gun/shooter is capable of putting the rounds close to each other. The bigger the steel, the tougher to identify the hits or misses.

Shooter papers, especially smaller bullseyes, is humbling and rewarding. There is a clue when people like LAV, Hackathorn, Wilson and a handful of other instructors use bullseye targets test skills.

BTW, the X9 owner was so pleased with it that it went home with him on his belt and not in the bag. His trusty Protector II will be taking a break from duty.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/bullet8.jpg

So don't worry, all of you in line waiting for the X9, you'll be happy with yours.

Happy shooting.

sierra 223
07-09-17, 11:45
Both nice pistols, really love a worked over HP. Nice to see the old Browning still holding its own.

yoni
07-09-17, 13:08
I am sure both my Custom Hi Powers would give the Wilson a run for it's money in the accuracy department. For sure my C&L with a fitted Bar Sto barrel would probably match it if not beat the X9.

1986s4
07-10-17, 14:48
Tough call, I'd like both but if forced to chose one I'd go custom BHP.

Nice homage to H&K....

artoter
07-10-17, 14:58
Beautiful pistols OP! ;)