PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen a barrel cave in like this?

plinkerr
07-10-17, 13:51
My buddy's Ruger 22/45 Lite barrel seems to have caved in. It's hard to see in the picture but in person you can still see rifling on the part that has caved in. Luckily he hadn't tried shooting it suppressed after it happened and before he noticed it. I don't think he's contacted Ruger about it yet, if nothing else I guess it serves as a reminder to always check things thoroughly during maintenance.

MegademiC
07-10-17, 14:03
No, I've never heard of that. Only thing I can think of is a defect, like a void or scale that caused a delamination of the bore. Super weird .

dmd08
07-10-17, 17:46
My friend had a problem with his 22/45 lite barrel. Ruger replaced it. I think it was bent? I don't remember exactly but it was something weird like this though.

twm134
07-10-17, 20:44
How did this happen? Did he trip and fall on it?

plinkerr
07-11-17, 13:07
How did this happen? Did he trip and fall on it?

Not sure if you're talking about my friend's Ruger or the one with the bent barrel, but my friend wasn't doing anything unusual. He was just plinking around.

TheMaroonNeck
07-12-17, 20:19
Not sure if you're talking about my friend's Ruger or the one with the bent barrel, but my friend wasn't doing anything unusual. He was just plinking around.
Plinking as using his barrel as an arrow?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Leonidas24
07-12-17, 21:15
Are you positive it's not a lead deposit? I've seen a Mk III 22/45 bbl that had accumulated a plug of lead that looked like that after shooting some Rem Thunderbolts. A vigorous scrubbing from a bore brush cleaned it out and it shot great after that.

plinkerr
07-14-17, 08:00
Are you positive it's not a lead deposit? I've seen a Mk III 22/45 bbl that had accumulated a plug of lead that looked like that after shooting some Rem Thunderbolts. A vigorous scrubbing from a bore brush cleaned it out and it shot great after that.

I'm not positive, but that would be a heck of an optical illusion because of how caved in it looked haha. I'll run it by him and see what he thinks, it would probably be worth a shot. I know he said that he noticed some metal pieces fall out of the barrel when he was cleaning it, but I suppose it could have been lead instead pieces of the barrel like he thought. Thanks.