PDA

View Full Version : Running out of options, looking for suggestions on a subcompact

Arik
07-10-17, 20:41
I can't seem to get around the small grip of the G43. Can never get a good grip on it drawing from the holster. There's not enough grip area.

Don't want to bother with the Shield. Their quality is all over the place.

Kahr polymer framed have the same issue as the G43. K versions are never available.

Sig 239. Too expensive, too heavy. 938 has a thumb safety.

PPQ M2...no.
PPQ M1 not available

Im running out of known options. I actually looked at the XDS today, it was on sale for $350. Only reason I even asked to see it.

Is there something I may be missing?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Munsta750
07-10-17, 20:53
Glock 26? It's too big for a pocket gun, but conceals great on the belt or ankle.

TXBK
07-10-17, 20:56
So, what features do you want or expect out of a subcompact (striker-fired, DA/SA, safety, capacity, etc)?

My subcompacts include a G26, VP9SK, and (whispers) an XDS45. I need a mag extension with at least a pinky grip for all of them, or I struggle getting a good grip not even working from a holster.

ggammell
07-10-17, 20:56
G26?

The differences between it and a 43 are negligible on paper but in the hand....

Talon167
07-10-17, 20:59
P30SK in LEM, or VP9SK

Arik
07-10-17, 21:05
My daily is a G19 but I can't always carry it due to clothing limitations or activity.

What features so I want? More grip. In single stack what fits/fills my hand is something like the Sig 239, the XDS actually, the Shield wasn't bad. I would actually take the Shield if it wasn't for the inconsistent quality. I held a few and they were all different. One had an extremely poor trigger, the other had a problem locking the slide back. Once you pull the slide all the way back where you think it catches you'd then need to pull harder till you heard a "click". I don't want to buy something and then put money into parts. I don't care for accessories or afterma parts. Not into that. Just want to buy and shoot

hickuleas
07-10-17, 21:06
The Walther PPQ M1 is available at budsgunshop and Walther is currently offering a $100.00 rebate.

MegademiC
07-10-17, 21:08
I can't seem to get around the small grip of the G43. Can never get a good grip on it drawing from the holster. There's not enough grip area.

Kahr polymer framed have the same issue as the G43. K versions are never available.

PPQ M2...no.
PPQ M1 not available

Im running out of known options. I actually looked at the XDS today, it was on sale for $350. Only reason I even asked to see it.

How is the shield quality all over the place?

Edit, just read your post.

The slide lock issue, I'd be $ to pesos was that the gun needed breakin. They loosen up a little real quick . Fwiw, a g23 was the first gun I've ever bought that actually malfunctioned because it was new, apparently. It happens.

The shield may need a new trigger shoe (I have issues with the hinges on the shield actually engaging for some reason), but you should be able to get chest shots at 25 out the box. Cz triggers suck out the box too. Sometimes you need to spend some time when you want a perfect $300-$400 gun.

TXBK
07-10-17, 21:21
Are you using mag extensions with the G43?

gunnerblue
07-10-17, 21:21
My Walther PPS with 7 or 8 round extended mags feels like it has plenty of grip surface while still being very concealable. I also have a P2000SK and have handled a P30SK and feel both are good options, though I prefer a single stack for CCW

Buckaroo
07-10-17, 21:42
Love my 9mm Shields, never a problem

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Eta: shot the best of my CCW class Saturday

Arik
07-10-17, 22:00
Are you using mag extensions with the G43?
Just the pinky extension

pinzgauer
07-10-17, 22:05
PPQ M1 is widely available and has a $100 rebate through end of Aug.

Local store $410 aft after rebate

You won't find better for that price, or IMHO, even without the rebate

el_chupo_
07-10-17, 22:15
Hogue or Pachmayr slip on grip on a G43 or Kahr may be perfect for you. Makes a world of difference for smaller guns for me.

opngrnd
07-10-17, 22:16
I like the G43, but it looks like you need to re-examine the Shield, preferably with a few good doses of range time. It's one of the only sub-compacts that shoot like a full sized gun in my hands, and I hear the same from most who shoot them. Unless we are going past 15 yards and into high round counts, my buddies don't have any problem giving my full size guns a run for their money.

Ron3
07-11-17, 00:23
Check out the Shield .45 2.0.

The grip is a little bigger than the 9mm/.40 Shields in every dimension. It's still very thin, though. Recoil is much less than you would expect. Likely less than the .40. Trigger is much better being it's a 2.0 version. It's accurate and has good sights. Talon grips available if you don't like the aggressive new 2.0 grip texture. The gun is 27/28 oz loaded with 230 gr ammo.

Or as was suggested, put some type of grip on your G43.

SkiDevil
07-11-17, 03:37
I think that one of the best subcompacts for CCW is the P2000 SK 9mm pistol.

Great pistol, compact, reliable, accurate, and easily concealed.

The pistol shoots like a full-size gun.

And as indicated in OP, a known quantity.

Vegas
07-11-17, 03:38
Vickers +2 works well for me on the G43 but I do shoot the Shield better. Feels like I get a better purchase on the grip with the Shield.

Tigereye
07-11-17, 05:41
I like my Kahr CW9 and my Shield 9mm. I prefer the Shield 8 round mags over the 7 for a better grip, though.

Krazykarl
07-11-17, 07:01
The glock 26 and 27 are great values and highly adaptable especially with affordable standard capacity magazines of the larger models.

CAVDOC
07-11-17, 07:45
Old used smith 3913.

WickedWillis
07-11-17, 12:28
I rotate between a Glock 19, and a Glock 26 with a Magpul 12rd mag. The 19 works for almost every situation, but doesn't conceal as well as the G26 regardless of what most will lead you to believe. It is too big (G26) for pocket carry in most situations. I love the flexibility of being able to carry a spare 17rd, or 21rd mag though.

Check out the VP9SK. Especially now that they will be releasing factory 13rd mags for it soon. Excellent trigger, a tad longer than the G26. Uses VP9 mags too.

Big A
07-11-17, 12:54

PPQ M2...no.
PPQ M1 not available

You are literally spoiled for choice in this market.

The only problem I had with my Shield was that stupid hinged trigger. I replaced it with the Apex and love it. To be honest I don't even think you need the full kit so much as just the trigger shoe.

I've shot both the Walther PPS M2 and the Springfield XDs9. While I think the Walther is an excellent gun I was surprised at how much I liked the XDs. And IMO what you get for the money from the XDs is hard to beat(This does not factor in Walther's current rebate). Also, Overwatch Precision sells trigger kits for them now and the "meh" trigger was my only real gripe about the gun. ETA: You can get 4 free mags, a crappy holster and double mag pouch from Springfield Armory for any purchase through 8-31-17.

You should be able to find something to meet your needs.

m4brian
07-11-17, 13:09
Two choices: p30sk, and P99c. Paddles.

ramairthree
07-11-17, 13:09
The sine qua non of a subcompact is the G26.

With the 12 round extension it gives a real grip to the average sized hand.

If you want metal and a safety,
The mid sized Beretta Cougar or S&W 6906 can be hand at reasonable prices on the used market.

When you go below G26 size,
You have gone from subcompact,
A pistol you can grip even if it needs extensions,
Into the sub subcompact or pocket pistol range.

These typically land you in the realm of great grip, accuracy, etc. Being sacrificed for size.

JC5188
07-11-17, 18:55
You are literally spoiled for choice in this market.

The only problem I had with my Shield was that stupid hinged trigger. I replaced it with the Apex and love it. To be honest I don't even think you need the full kit so much as just the trigger shoe.

I've shot both the Walther PPS M2 and the Springfield XDs9. While I think the Walther is an excellent gun I was surprised at how much I liked the XDs. And IMO what you get for the money from the XDs is hard to beat(This does not factor in Walther's current rebate). Also, Overwatch Precision sells trigger kits for them now and the "meh" trigger was my only real gripe about the gun. ETA: You can get 4 free mags, a crappy holster and double mag pouch from Springfield Armory for any purchase through 8-31-17.

You should be able to find something to meet your needs.

My XDsub c is a shooter for sure. Extremely well made...solid pins where my M&P has roll pins. Is as accurate at 10 yards as any pistol I own. Excellent trigger. Robust little gun.

The fact it won't rack unless the thumbs strap is depressed doesn't bother me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuzzinSATX
07-11-17, 19:20
I've got three Shields, all 9MM, and they are all fine, especially after some break-in. Triggers are not great, but do get better with rounds and dry firing. An Apex would likely be the best option, but not at this time...

Last Shield I bought was the Performance Center. I really like it a lot, but after shooting it, my wife clamped on to it like my dog holds on to his rope toy, so now it is hers, so I'm back to my regular model.

I dont mess with the sights, I simply put the TLR-6 on them all. Little more than buying good night sights, and I really like the light/laser combo.

I had an XDs, and didn't really think it was worth the extra $150 over a Shield. I hear the PPS is a great shooter.

Have you tried the Hyve extensions for your G43? I love them on the Shield. $50 might seem expensive for a magazine, but if it saves you from buying another gun, might be worth it...

https://hyvetechnologiesbuilder.com/index.php/product/preassembled-12-for-the-glock-43/

Good Luck46448

Mr_Happy1
07-11-17, 23:44
I will add another vote for the Shield. I have one for 4 years. I have shot thousands of rounds through it. I put sights, and apex parts in it. I like it so much, I bought a second one, during the rebate, to be my Wife's car gun. We went to the range last week. I was the first time she fired a handgun in over 4 years. She was able to comfortably shoot it, to the tune of about 200 rounds. Her accuracy was basically minute of man at 7 yards, which is a 4 year hiatus will do for you.
I took defensive pistol class with my cousin about 2 weeks ago. She used her stock Shield, and I used mine. The class was only about 350 rounds, but there was a lot of one handed shooting, and shooting on the move. We had no problems with either Shield. I have no delusions about being able to shoot it as well as I do my larger guns, but it is definitely a shooter. At the end of the class, the instructor let us try and shoot some partially buried IPSC targets. I was able to scores with my Shield on both targets, one at 115, which I hit multiple times, after finding my hold, and one at 135, which I scored a first round hit on. I stopped right then!:cool:
I have a Glock 43, I much prefer the Shield, unless I really need that extra little bit of concealment. My only gripe with the Shield is the capacity, but that is the cost of the size.
I will also add a couple more guns to consider:
HK VP9sk
CZ Rami, I have the BD model.

Due to my size, extremely small, I primarily carry subcompact sized pistols. I like them because I get the small size that is easily concealable, but I am able to carry larger mags for reloads, which is comforting. I am particularly found of hammers, so I invested in an Cajun Gunworks Rami BD. I LOVE IT. I also took a shooting class with my P30sk in October. It did extremely well.
Good luck! You have plenty of great options!

oldtexan
07-12-17, 08:21
OP, if you want a single stack gun, I recommend you shoot a Walther PPS in 9mm. I think only the M2 model is available new now. I have three of the original models and recommend them IF you can find one.

If you want a double stack gun, I'd look at the Glock 26, S&W M&P Compact 9mm, and VP9SK.

I didn't catch how you intend to carry this gun. None of the above are optimal for pocket carry, and the double stacks probably won't work at all for pocket carry.

If you're planning to pocket carry, I recommend the Kahr PM9 and CM9. If the grip is too thin, you can add a grip sleeve.

m4brian
07-12-17, 08:40
Seriously consider P99c if you end up wanting a double stack. Likely the best in many aspects.

mooosie
07-12-17, 09:23
Hey maybe a Ruger lc9 it is a little bigger that an LCP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pi3
07-12-17, 11:36
Given the substantial rebates on the current Shields, I'm thinking the Shield 2.0 will be along shortly. Maybe with better QC.
If your edc is a g19, I would be tempted to get a g26. I don't like my pinky hanging off, but its not an issue when actually shooting.

Arik
07-12-17, 14:16
OP, if you want a single stack gun, I recommend you shoot a Walther PPS in 9mm. I think only the M2 model is available new now. I have three of the original models and recommend them IF you can find one.

If you want a double stack gun, I'd look at the Glock 26, S&W M&P Compact 9mm, and VP9SK.

I didn't catch how you intend to carry this gun. None of the above are optimal for pocket carry, and the double stacks probably won't work at all for pocket carry.

If you're planning to pocket carry, I recommend the Kahr PM9 and CM9. If the grip is too thin, you can add a grip sleeve.
Carry is and would be iwb about 8 o'clock (lefty).

I had the M1 back when they came out but ended up selling for something else. The new M2 seems ok but I liked the original better.

Given the substantial rebates on the current Shields, I'm thinking the Shield 2.0 will be along shortly. Maybe with better QC.
If your edc is a g19, I would be tempted to get a g26. I don't like my pinky hanging off, but its not an issue when actually shooting.
The pinky hanging off aggravates the hell out of me but i can overlook it. The real problem is the grip. The overall small grip of the G43, even with a Hogue rubber sleeve. The other problem with the sleeve is that since it's "universal" it doesn't quite stay in place. After a mag or two I notice it would slide down enough to interfere with mag insertion. A bigger grip like the Shield or the XD or PPS is like night and day difference.

This gun is my ....help-my-friend-move....gun. It's something I carry when a bigger gun, like a G19, would just get in the way or become more uncomfortable throughout the day.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170712/7fa5bd7be7a05ab35e24be2a7dc53974.jpg

WickedWillis
07-12-17, 14:32

Magpul 12-rd mags fixed that big time for me

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4302/35752295511_45c3b1f83b_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/WtiRS8)20170712_123035 (https://flic.kr/p/WtiRS8) by Willis (https://www.flickr.com/photos/140211446@N06/), on Flickr

TactiCool1976
07-14-17, 02:29
Arik,

my vote goes to the Glock 26..... i use it when i am not carrying my g19, and have a pinky grip on all the OEM mags and i can get a full grip on it.. plus getting a full grip when using a 15 or 17 round mag is easy too...

orionz06
07-14-17, 08:02
Hard to pass on the Shield right now, they're almost free. Lots of friends have purchased 2-3 of them, each, and have had nothing negative to mention about them. They're just a solid gun.

zonerA1
07-14-17, 08:57
9mm Shield owner here. I bought mine new. Stiff mag springs and stiff recoil springs. When its new load the mags and leave em loaded and store the gun with the slide locked back. The trigger break was a little too heavy but replacing the factory sear with one frpm Apex fixed that easy....cost me $40. I also replaced the factory front sight with a tritium one from Dawson Precision. I coulda got by fine without the upgrades but you know how it goes with a fool and his money. Don't put too much stock in "quality issues you read about on the internet....its the mothership of "experts" that don't know much....

556BlackRifle
07-14-17, 10:29
Personally, I like the trigger on a Gen3 or Gen4 Glock better than the stock trigger on an M&P 1. But damn, with that rebate, the M&P is tempting. With a trigger job it might just be a better shooter. As far as the M&P 2, I have no idea as I haven't seen one yet. All said, I'd go for the G26 as it's a known commodity and due to magazine compatibility with the G17 & G19. Good luck with your decision.

MegademiC
07-14-17, 20:18
To add, I ran 200rds through my shield they say I bought it and it helped break it in and ease loading and manipulations.
New sights (if you want tritium, if not stock are fine), and a trigger shoe should get it past "acceptable".

If you want to shoot groups at 25, you need to spend some time with it.

Ps, some guns need break in. My freshly cleaned and lubed Leo trade in g23 malfunctioned the first 2 rnds and has been 100%since to 200rds.

lee1000
07-14-17, 22:03
What about Talon or Traction grips? Hickok45 uses them on small pistols and with his presumably large hands he's able to nail steel out 80 yards.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Det-Sog
07-15-17, 00:31
Love my 9 shield. Batting 1000 so far.

If I ever get rid of it, I might go with the Springfield XDE.

Arik
07-15-17, 11:29
Went out this morning and put a Shield 9 on layaway. Played with a few of them quality seemed a bit all over the place. As someone who carries a Glock and has a dozen of them I'm not looking for hand fitted. But they're definitely not as standard across the board as Glocks are. Some triggers felt better than others. Some slides locked back with less effort. Anyway, we'll see once I get it home

Big A
07-15-17, 12:04
You made a good choice. As a fellow Glock shooter who owns a Shield I definitely recommend you give the Apex kit some serious consideration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Det-Sog
07-15-17, 12:20
I'll second the notion that you chose wisely. I love mine. I'd run a couple hundred rounds through it and break it it before you consider any mods. Mine was a little ragged new, now that she's broke in, I have NO complaints.

Mine is bone stock. Apex parts are awesome, but I don't modify my CHL weapons out of liability concerns. Apex did made my competition M&P 9 run like a Swiss watch though if you decide to put parts in. I can not say enough good things about Apex. Enjoy.

CPM
07-15-17, 18:22
So, what features do you want or expect out of a subcompact (striker-fired, DA/SA, safety, capacity, etc)?

My subcompacts include a G26, VP9SK, and (whispers) an XDS45. I need a mag extension with at least a pinky grip for all of them, or I struggle getting a good grip not even working from a holster.

It could also be the missing finger...

Try the LC9S Pro. I love it and can easily wear it with gym shorts.

CPM
07-15-17, 18:26
9mm Shield owner here. I bought mine new. Stiff mag springs and stiff recoil springs. When its new load the mags and leave em loaded and store the gun with the slide locked back. The trigger break was a little too heavy but replacing the factory sear with one frpm Apex fixed that easy....cost me $40. I also replaced the factory front sight with a tritium one from Dawson Precision. I coulda got by fine without the upgrades but you know how it goes with a fool and his money. Don't put too much stock in "quality issues you read about on the internet....its the mothership of "experts" that don't know much....

I hate to break it to you, but that's not how springs soften up or break in. They require cycles, not being in a singular state for an extended period of time.

hotrodder636
07-15-17, 18:38
I really enjoy my Shield as a carry gun. My slide release super stiff when I first got it but after about 600 rounds it has gotten much better--that just happened to be about when I noticed it didn't require the effort to release the slide.

The trigger was fairly smooth from the get go but has gotten much better (up to ~2700 rounds now).

You could always take a look at the VP9SK also.

nml
07-16-17, 04:13
Went out this morning and put a Shield 9 on layaway.Shield 45 has a slightly thicker frame to hold than 9. but still thin compared to double stack 9s and would conceal better. iirc you only lose 1 round over 9mm.

big_pErm
08-27-17, 08:57
Buy my glock 26 so I can get a VP9SK!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tequila45
08-28-17, 20:39
M&P9c with an apex duty trigger kit. You can probably get a 9c for about $400 maybe less and spend another $90 or so on the trigger.

johnnyrebel87
08-29-17, 12:14
loving my new m&p 9c

bullitt
08-29-17, 12:32
I also had trouble with the G43 and Shield fitting my hand well but wanted a small gun for easier concealment. I ended up with a Walther PPS M2. It's just slightly bigger than the G43 and Shield. That little extra size made all the difference for me. I shot all three and I shot the PPS M2 best and it was the most comfortable. You can still get $100 rebate right now too. Only down side is it's hard to find holsters for it on shelves. You will have to order one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ritepath
08-29-17, 20:11
Not into that. Just want to buy and shoot

Welcome to my world and why I ended up with a Shield. Over 5k rounds and it's just been dead solid perfect reliable. Maybe spring for a pro model? Or just buy the normal Shield and if it turns out to be a turd, dump it off at a gun show. Chances are after a few hundred rounds trouble free rounds, the trigger starts smooting out and you see how easy it is to be accurate with (even at 25 yards) you'll be glad you did.

maximus83
08-29-17, 23:06
Welcome to my world and why I ended up with a Shield. Over 5k rounds and it's just been dead solid perfect reliable. Maybe spring for a pro model? Or just buy the normal Shield and if it turns out to be a turd, dump it off at a gun show. Chances are after a few hundred rounds trouble free rounds, the trigger starts smooting out and you see how easy it is to be accurate with (even at 25 yards) you'll be glad you did.

+1. Get a Shield, most of them are g2g, if not S&W will make it right. Couldn't be happier with mine.

If I didn't get a Shield, personally I'd be checking out the Walther PPS.

MegademiC
08-30-17, 05:31

I've been getting 5" groups at 25yds (got a 96 on a b8 last time I shot it for score)
That's with a stock gun.

Joelski
08-30-17, 06:29
Went out this morning and put a Shield 9 on layaway. Played with a few of them quality seemed a bit all over the place. As someone who carries a Glock and has a dozen of them I'm not looking for hand fitted. But they're definitely not as standard across the board as Glocks are. Some triggers felt better than others. Some slides locked back with less effort. Anyway, we'll see once I get it home

You can't draw a lot of conclusions from a new, off the shelf gun. You certainly shouldn't be comparing it to your broken-in, self-professed, favorite gun; how can any new, unused firearm meet those expectations?

Give the shield some rounds down the pipe to get the mating surfaces shiny and working smoothly.

By 200-300 rounds, all it needs is that damn trigger fix. Who knows; maybe the rev. 2 abates that. For a comfy gun, an $80 fix is worth your time. Or just live with it like I do. If you want perfect, get an H&K.

Arik
08-30-17, 06:47
Haven't picked it up yet. No time! Will try to pick up the Shield this weekend

M&Pc .... may as well just get a G26 .

I wish I never sold my PPS m1. I liked everything about it

Lee1000, I have Hogue rubber sleeve on the G43. It slides off when shooting just enough to interfere with mag changes

GunsCarsBikesCigars
08-30-17, 06:49
Problem w the shield is the trigger over travel. I made an overtravel bump stop so ssonnis it breaks it's done,

everready73
08-30-17, 08:09
Haven't picked it up yet. No time! Will try to pick up the Shield this weekend

M&Pc .... may as well just get a G26 .

I wish I never sold my PPS m1. I liked everything about it

Lee1000, I have Hogue rubber sleeve on the G43. It slides off when shooting just enough to interfere with mag changes

PPS M2 has a $100 rebate going right now

1986s4
08-30-17, 08:18
I really like my SIG P225, large enough to grip but small enough to carry, for me at least. 8 +1 capacity. I am tall and slender with size large hands, long fingers.

Arik
08-30-17, 08:26
I really like my SIG P225, large enough to grip but small enough to carry, for me at least. 8 +1 capacity. I am tall and slender with size large hands, long fingers.Looked into those. In fact my LGS has a used 239. The problem is that it's everything my current carry is minus the ammo. It's a nice gun but the size, width, length, weight (in fact heavier)...etc...are the same as the G19 except instead of 15+1 it's 8+1

1986s4
08-30-17, 09:11
Looked into those. In fact my LGS has a used 239. The problem is that it's everything my current carry is minus the ammo. It's a nice gun but the size, width, length, weight (in fact heavier)...etc...are the same as the G19 except instead of 15+1 it's 8+1

I hear you, it's no lightweight nor particularly small. But one thing it isn't is a Glock which I don't shoot well to begin with and I want a long pull trigger for AWIB carry.

Maynard
09-04-17, 12:04
The Walther PPS M1 is an outstanding subcompact pistol. It shoots like a much larger pistol, at least to me it does.

The other really nice feature is that if you use a molded kydex holster, it's virtually impossible to accidentally activate the mag release.

bigten109
09-04-17, 13:07
If you want a 9mm, VP9SK. Shoots like a VP9 but with a smaller outline. You can even put VP9 full size magazines in it (although it may look goofy). I've shot most subcompacts out there including the the glocks, and my favorite out of the box by far. And I own a few Glocks so not coming from an HK fanboy standpoint.

If you need a 45, the HK45C is one of the best 45 compacts out there, but it is nearly the size of a full size p30/G19

Achilles11B
09-04-17, 22:04
I owned a G43 and ended up selling it to get a G26 after spending some range time with one. I'm able to get a better grip with it, which helped tremendously. And, as previously stated, it helps that they can run the same mags as a 17/19/34 as well. The Magpul 12-rounders are just long enough to get a good, solid grip.

maca1
09-06-17, 07:59
a scandium frame SW J Frame. disappears in a pocket or anywhere else you decide to carry it.

Wheelhouse
09-07-17, 23:16
I run all of my G43 mags with TTI +2 or +3 mag extensions. I want a full grip on a pistol and carrying AIWB the +2 extensions doesn't affect concealment at all for me. I can't imagine you not liking one with mag extensions after trying it.
This makes the G43 much more enjoyable to shoot.

The Shield is an excellent shooter as well. And cheap! The promos they've been running are almost comical. I think now they are doing the mags, ammo and reloader deal but when they were offering the $75 rebate I saw them as low as $240 final price! Crazy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zirk208
09-07-17, 23:42
I've tried to keep up on this one, but has the OP replied as to why the Glock 26 does or does not fit his requirements? I saw more than one recommendation for it.
-Bigger grip
-Double stack
-Bigger than a 43, less than a 19.

Arik
09-08-17, 09:27
I've tried to keep up on this one, but has the OP replied as to why the Glock 26 does or does not fit his requirements? I saw more than one recommendation for it.
-Bigger grip
-Double stack
-Bigger than a 43, less than a 19.Sorry I don't always keep up

The G26 is essentially no different than the 19. Slightly smaller if used without a pinky extension. Without the extension it's awkward. It's loaded weight is 26 - 27 oz whereas the 19 is 30 - 31 oz. Not a big difference.

I was looking for an overall smaller, lighter gun. The G43 kinda fit that except for being a little too small in the grip which is why I settled on the Shield. The gun is for when the G19 just doesn't work for the environment. Something for days when I'm more active or clothing is a little more restrictive. For example.....and this is just something recent in my mind.....my friend and I brew beer on weekends. There's a lot of prep, a lot of cleaning afterwards and a lot of heavy stuff to move around throughout. G19 gets to be a little too much. It becomes an annoyance. Same goes for when helping friends move which really isn't all that often but lately has been about every 6 months. When I have to work outside at work to check over our equipment. It's a gun for those kinds of occasions.

Caduceus
09-08-17, 10:37
Check out the Shield .45 2.0.

The grip is a little bigger than the 9mm/.40 Shields in every dimension. It's still very thin, though. Recoil is much less than you would expect. Likely less than the .40. Trigger is much better being it's a 2.0 version. It's accurate and has good sights. Talon grips available if you don't like the aggressive new 2.0 grip texture. The gun is 27/28 oz loaded with 230 gr ammo.

Or as was suggested, put some type of grip on your G43.
I agree with all of this. I've used the G43 about a year; carry with a +1 in the gun and a +2 in my pocket.

Bought and didn't really like the shield 9. Also got a Shield 45 a week later, and OMG. Practically perfect. Aggressive grip, felt better than their 9, a touch bigger than the G43, better trigger than the Shield or my old 9c. Not really a 45 guy, but it's easily manageable. I shoot more accurate than the 43.

It's essentially my new carry gun. 7 and 7 mags. Wish I could get a bigger mag for a spare, but oh well.