PDA

View Full Version : Scalarworks OPS Sights

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-11-17, 23:40
I went back and forth between the Scalarworks OPS and the DD Fixed for a rear sight on my 6920 Patrol Rifle. Knowing that LAV had his hand in designing these, and seeing that Scalarworks makes quality mounts, I gave them a shot. They have not arrived yet, so I will post my review and thoughts here when they do. In the meantime, does anyone have them, and what has your experience been?

https://scalarworks.com/shop/iron-sights/ops-fixed/

Little to no mention of them on this site.

For Scalarworks input, please see Post https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?198182-Scalarworks-OPS-Sights&p=2513511#post2513511 7

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-11-17, 23:44
I also contacted Scalarworks and requested their input in this thread, as well as a brief story on how they got connected to LAV. I contacted LAV regarding this thread as well.

nimdabew
07-12-17, 01:28
Now that is interesting... If I wasn't flush with irons already, they would be on my radar.

Campbell
07-12-17, 05:30
Those are really nice, and good job on the product description on their site also...

GaryXD
07-12-17, 07:51
I got a set last week and installed them on my new BCM. Got it sighted in yesterday. I like them so far. I have two of their MRO mounts and am convinced of their quality.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-12-17, 11:06
I got a set last week and installed them on my new BCM. Got it sighted in yesterday. I like them so far. I have two of their MRO mounts and am convinced of their quality.

If you have the time, would you mind posting some pics and your general thoughts after sighting in?

Scalarworks
07-12-17, 11:53
I also contacted Scalarworks and requested their input in this thread, as well as a brief story on how they got connected to LAV. I contacted LAV regarding this thread as well.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Larry Vickers got in touch with me as soon as we launched the Low Drag Mount in October of 2014. He was impressed with the mount and we agreed to meet up at SHOT show.

During that initial meeting he suggested that Scalarworks should design and make a set of fixed iron sights. He said the DD's he was using (and was involved with the design of) were fine, but he felt that there was room for improvement. He said that based on the quality of the Low Drag Mount's design and manufacturing, he felt that we could make the iron sights he always really wanted. Suffice it to say I was very flattered.

What Larry didn't know at the time is that designing a truly awesome set of fixed iron sights was a pet project of mine from way before I had started Scalarworks.

Here are some photos of the first prototype of a rear fixed sight I had 3D printed back in July of 2010:

You can see from this early prototype that I was very much influenced by the design of the original LMT Mk18 sights.

Larry's biggest ask for the sights was a rear peep that was flat facing towards the shooter like the original A1 peeps were. No one could tell us at the time why this change had been made when the military went to the M16 A2. Whatever the reason was, it introduced a concave surface facing the shooter which under certain lighting conditions could reflect light and cause a less than ideal sight picture. For years Larry had been getting his friends at Colt Canada to send him rear peeps that remained flat facing towards the shooter. He would replace the stock A2 peep on his DD's with them.

We've recently been told that the scallop direction was reversed by Lt. Col. David A. Lutz (USMC), who was in charge of the M16's A2 program. He had noticed that Marines doing their rifle quals would wear away the black oxide finish on the flat face of the peep over the years, as they had to routinely flip the peep back and forth. This exposed the shiny metal underneath, which is obviously not a good outcome. His solution was to flip the scallop direction.

Larry was also keen on getting a scaled down front sight post that was more suited to the shorter sight radii that most modern rifles have. As for the manual elevation/windage adjustments, we agreed that going tool-free was a luxury, but it wouldn't feel like a Scalarworks product if you couldn't do it with just your hands. Finally, once all of those elements were in place it was a no brainer to use a custom thread-pitch on both the front post and rear peep to fine tune the adjustment per click to be 0.5MOA/click, to match what every Aimpoint Red Dot sight has. Obviously this value will vary slightly depending on the specific sight radius but it's a hell of a lot closer in most circumstances than a stock A2. We include a simple formula in the instruction sheet to get your exact MOA/click based on your exact sight radius.

As Campbell has pointed out, we have a lot of this described and illustrated on our website: https://scalarworks.com/shop/iron-sights/peak-fixed-iron-sights/

If anyone has any specific questions please feel free to post them here.

tehpwnag3
07-12-17, 13:02
And now I want some (damn it).

uniform64
07-12-17, 13:54
You should make that prototype rear also

NongShim
07-12-17, 19:33
I've never had a use for fixed sights other than the normal FSB. These sights look to be so elegantly designed (like your other mounts), that I find myself "needing" a set.

For clarification, the width of front sight post has been redesigned to what end? Same use but new sight radius or a new use?

mkmckinley
07-12-17, 19:37
I got a set a few weeks ago and they're really nice. The design is really well thought out and they're super light. I'll do a review and post some pics when I get some more range time with them but in short: they're great.

Scalarworks
07-12-17, 20:48
I've never had a use for fixed sights other than the normal FSB. These sights look to be so elegantly designed (like your other mounts), that I find myself "needing" a set.

For clarification, the width of front sight post has been redesigned to what end? Same use but new sight radius or a new use?

My unofficial design brief for these was "design fixed sights nice enough that people who don't use fixed sights will want them" :cool:

The front sight post is thinner because stock A2 front posts that are on most fixed sights were designed for a longer 20" sight radius.

NongShim
07-12-17, 21:14
My unofficial design brief for these was "design fixed sights nice enough that people who don't use fixed sights will want them" :cool:

The front sight post is thinner because stock A2 front posts that are on most fixed sights were designed for a longer 20" sight radius.

So the post is as wide as a man at 150ish meters...awesome!

You've succeeded at your job unofficial task.

Straight Shooter
07-13-17, 08:19
Love the tool free sight adjustments- but wondering why not a QD type knob for tool free on/off instead of a wrench? Not a knock..just wondering.

Scalarworks
07-13-17, 09:12
Love the tool free sight adjustments- but wondering why not a QD type knob for tool free on/off instead of a wrench? Not a knock..just wondering.

Fair question given what we're most famous for.

As shooters we would routinely take our optics off rifles for cleaning, transportation, and to try the optic on different rifles. But we almost never did any of that with iron sights.

We asked Larry how often he removed his iron sights and he said he never did.

As efficient as our QD mechanism is it still adds weight, complexity, and bulk compared to a cross bolt. By making the OPS bolt-on we were able to make them a full half ounce lighter than our nearest competitor.

We did design and make our own custom hollowed out cross bolt with a smooth shoulder and torx socket.

scooter22
07-13-17, 12:15
Will be ordering a rear for my 10.5" FSB.

Now, design some flip-ups :)

Official Kremlin Transmission

NYH1
07-13-17, 13:12
I wish I would have known about these sights a week or so ago. I have the DD A1.5 sight and like it but wanted to go with a removable sight so I went with a LMT carry handle cut down type sight. Wanting something a little more compact and being that my wife liked the DD sight, I bought a LaRue BUIS QD LT103. I like the LaRue sight, but I would have seriously considered a Scalarworks sight.

Do you sell just your rear aperture?

Thanks, NYH1.

Scalarworks
07-13-17, 13:47
I wish I would have known about these sights a week or so ago. I have the DD A1.5 sight and like it but wanted to go with a removable sight so I went with a LMT carry handle cut down type sight. Wanting something a little more compact and being that my wife liked the DD sight, I bought a LaRue BUIS QD LT103. I like the LaRue sight, but I would have seriously considered a Scalarworks sight.

Do you sell just your rear aperture?

Thanks, NYH1.

Thanks.

No we don't sell any of the parts on their own as they are all proprietary. They don't work with any other sight.

Straight Shooter
07-13-17, 13:58
Fair question given what we're most famous for.

As shooters we would routinely take our optics off rifles for cleaning, transportation, and to try the optic on different rifles. But we almost never did any of that with iron sights.

We asked Larry how often he removed his iron sights and he said he never did.

As efficient as our QD mechanism is it still adds weight, complexity, and bulk compared to a cross bolt. By making the OPS bolt-on we were able to make them a full half ounce lighter than our nearest competitor.

We did design and make our own custom hollowed out cross bolt with a smooth shoulder and torx socket.

Excellent reasons- thanks for the quick response!

NYH1
07-13-17, 16:19
Thanks.

No we don't sell any of the parts on their own as they are all proprietary. They don't work with any other sight.
Ok thanks, NYH1.

Scalarworks
07-14-17, 08:37
Will be ordering a rear for my 10.5" FSB.

Now, design some flip-ups :)

Thanks. Working on flip ups (both straight and canted). Hoping they don't take 7 years to complete like the fixed ones.

Scalarworks
07-14-17, 16:08

On Point Sights also work great solo if that's your preferred setup.

TAZ
07-14-17, 16:17
Man, why did I have to read this thread. I don't even like fixed BUIS and want a set of these. My CC will cry uncle if you guys come up with a sexy offset BUIS for us dorks who like LPV scopes.

Scalarworks
07-14-17, 18:06
Man, why did I have to read this thread. I don't even like fixed BUIS and want a set of these. My CC will cry uncle if you guys come up with a sexy offset BUIS for us dorks who like LPV scopes.

Wait 'till you see our scope mounts :cool:

NongShim
07-14-17, 18:51

This is what I've been waiting for!

AndyLate
07-14-17, 21:18
They are great looking sights and I would not want them QD.

TAZ
07-14-17, 21:32

Crap!! My AmEx just locked itself in the safe and I can hear whimpering.

Scalarworks
07-19-17, 17:46
We're temporarily out of On Point Sights but we're making more. We expect to have them back up for sale August 31st.

Please sign up to be auto-notified when they're in stock and ready to ship: https://scalarworks.com/shop/iron-sights/ops-fixed/

tommyrott
07-19-17, 19:28
What's the WAG on availability of the scope mount and will it be available in 1" rings?

Scalarworks
07-20-17, 09:31
What's the WAG on availability of the scope mount and will it be available in 1" rings?

Our scope mounts will be 30mm and 34mm only. We expect them to be ready to ship by December of this year.

JasonDTM
07-20-17, 10:57
Any plans for an elevation adjustable rear ie LMT or is the A1 style the only option for the foreseeable future?

Scalarworks
07-20-17, 11:09
Any plans for an elevation adjustable rear ie LMT or is the A1 style the only option for the foreseeable future?

This is it for the foreseeable future.

Furbyballer
07-20-17, 11:51
Love my set of sights I got from you guys. They sit on my 11.5in sionics sbr with a t2 in your 1/3rd mount. Will you guys be releasing a T2 or LPVO mount in the 1.93 height in the future? Very excited to hear that you guys are venturing into the scope mount market at the end of the year.

JasonDTM
07-20-17, 11:55
This is it for the foreseeable future.

Thank you for answering my question

Scalarworks
07-20-17, 12:13
Love my set of sights I got from you guys. They sit on my 11.5in sionics sbr with a t2 in your 1/3rd mount. Will you guys be releasing a T2 or LPVO mount in the 1.93 height in the future? Very excited to hear that you guys are venturing into the scope mount market at the end of the year.

Glad you're happy with your setup.

We currently don't have any plans to make any 1.93" mounts. For that to change we'd have to get one of our Mil/LE customers to request some and we'd then make a small surplus for commercial sales.

Furbyballer
07-20-17, 12:34
Thanks for the response. A little dissapointed but understandable. I really enjoy the heads up position it allows for the shooter. It's not for everyone, but I know lots of shooters in my area moving in that direction.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Scalarworks
07-20-17, 13:31
Thanks for the response. A little dissapointed but understandable. I really enjoy the heads up position it allows for the shooter. It's not for everyone, but I know lots of shooters in my area moving in that direction.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We hear you. There's only so many products we can work on at once, and our product roadmap is packed as-is. Once we get through everything we might well circle back and do different variations of existing products.

Press Check
07-20-17, 14:08
We hear you. There's only so many products we can work on at once, and our product roadmap is packed as-is. Once we get through everything we might well circle back and do different variations of existing products.

Don't you guys have a magnifier mount due for release soon? Is it going to flip and be quick-detachable?

Scalarworks
07-20-17, 14:15
Don't you guys have a magnifier mount due for release soon? Is it going to flip and be quick-detachable?

Yes. We'll have a product page up for it on our website next week. Same patented QD mechanism and overall size and styling as our Low Drag Mounts. We'll have both an absolute and lower-third height version, for perfect alignment with every red dot mount we've ever made.

30mm tube magnifier compatible. Short-throw flip-to-side mechanism. Under 2.8oz.

We hope to have them ready to ship in late September.

Wake27
07-20-17, 14:27
Sounds like good stuff in the works. I love my T2 mount and will definitely be adding a set of these, a second T2 mount, and probably the 30mm scope mount to the other guns in the coming months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Press Check
07-20-17, 15:49
Yes. We'll have a product page up for it on our website next week. Same patented QD mechanism and overall size and styling as our Low Drag Mounts. We'll have both an absolute and lower-third height version, for perfect alignment with every red dot mount we've ever made.

30mm tube magnifier compatible. Short-throw flip-to-side mechanism. Under 2.8oz.

We hope to have them ready to ship in late September.

Very nice. The QD base on the Aimpoint TwistMount weighs 2oz by itself, not including the ring, but I will say that I really like being able to detach the magnifier for use a monocular.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-31-17, 15:44
Finally switched over to Imgur after the PB fiasco. Pictured a is my Scalarworks rear sight. Very light weight, easy to mount. No rounds fired through it yet, but it is a very well machined piece. So far, so good.

http://i.imgur.com/AYXf6ds.jpg?1

scooter22
07-31-17, 18:10
Sorry if I missed it: ETA on OPS rears?

Ostdarva
07-31-17, 18:17
Will you please let me know what you think of the Scalarworks sights?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-07-17, 21:50
Will you please let me know what you think of the Scalarworks sights?

Of course. Very high quality, adjustment is easy, peep sight is great. Also very lightweight. They've held up well on my work gun. I'll be buying a new set here soon for an SBR.

https://i.imgur.com/Y5TQF3q.jpg?2

Scalarworks
11-08-17, 07:32
Of course. Very high quality, adjustment is easy, peep sight is great. Also very lightweight. They've held up well on my work gun. I'll be buying a new set here soon for an SBR.

https://i.imgur.com/Y5TQF3q.jpg?2

Glad you like yours.

Just FYI for anyone interested: we recently re-branded the On Point Sights to Peak Sights. We wanted a name that was shorter and fit with our other brand names: Leap and Sync.

HeruMew
11-08-17, 08:07
I want them...

Gahhhh.

There goes my fun money this coming paycheck. x.x

I have been looking for something better than a cut handle, but designed for the shooter in mind. This appears to fit that bill nicely.

I also then have to figure out how I am going to run these things. Either on a 16" or my 10.3"

Scalarworks
11-08-17, 08:12
I also then have to figure out how I am going to run these things. Either on a 16" or my 10.3"

First one, then the other :D

voiceofreason
11-08-17, 12:47

HAHAHA!!!
( sales team is doing their job)

HeruMew
11-08-17, 15:04

HAHAHA!!!
( sales team is doing their job)

Haha! Best response I could have expected.

Sounds like a heck of a plan.

nightchief
11-08-17, 16:35
Will the On Point/Peak fixed front zero with another brand of flip up sight? The optic I'm running requires a flip up rear (Troy in this case)...

Wake27
11-08-17, 16:49
Will the On Point/Peak fixed front zero with another brand of flip up sight? The optic I'm running requires a flip up rear (Troy in this case)...

They posted somewhere else that it'd be fine I believe. But supposedly flip up versions are in the works.

Scalarworks
11-08-17, 17:44

Yes, absolutely. As long as your rear sight is standard AR15 height (~1.42") it'll work just fine with the front Peak sight.

Scalarworks
11-08-17, 17:45
They posted somewhere else that it'd be fine I believe. But supposedly flip up versions are in the works.

Yes, we are working on flip ups. No firm ETA yet but sometime in 2018 for sure.

Wake27
11-08-17, 18:02
Yes, we are working on flip ups. No firm ETA yet but sometime in 2018 for sure.

Nice. I actually just sent you guys a Facebook message wondering on ETA for the 30mm scope mount you guys are working on too. I’m pumped to see that thing.

Scalarworks
11-08-17, 19:02
Nice. I actually just sent you guys a Facebook message wondering on ETA for the 30mm scope mount you guys are working on too. I’m pumped to see that thing.

We are programming the CNC mill now for the 30mm mounts. I'm cracking the whip extra hard to get these completed by Christmas.

Wake27
11-08-17, 20:59
We are programming the CNC mill now for the 30mm mounts. I'm cracking the whip extra hard to get these completed by Christmas.

Thanks, I’m looking forward to seeing them.

titsonritz
11-09-17, 12:01
Just got my set in the mail. They are really nice, beautifully machined sights. I can hardly wait to put them on one of my carbines and do some blasting.

Now if Santa will just hook me up with one of those scope mounts I'll styling.

Tigereye
11-09-17, 19:35
Got a set a couple of weeks ago. As you would expect, the machining, finish, etc. is outstanding. I hope to shoot with them this weekend and will report back.

Tigereye
11-12-17, 20:13
Mounted them on a new Colt Trooper and finally got to shoot it this weekend. The sights are very clear and easy to adjust. Shooting 5 shot groups, it took about 4 groups to zero at 50 yards. The sight adjustments are tactile, precise, and easy to make. This is one of those buys that I spent more than originally intended but will certainly do it again.

voiceofreason
11-22-17, 09:02
Did they go up in price recently?

RVTMaverick
11-22-17, 09:49
Thanks. Working on flip ups (both straight and canted). Hoping they don't take 7 years to complete like the fixed ones.

FYI: & FWIW: I'd definitely be in for a set of Flip Up Canted...

End results of the Machining work on your website, All's I can say is BEAUTIFUL!

Peace Jeff

Scalarworks
11-22-17, 10:16
Did they go up in price recently?

Yes they have. We wanted these to be as accessible as possible at launch, so we decided to price in production cost reductions that we thought would be achievable in the near future. Unfortunately these savings have proven elusive. Rather than compromising the exacting quality standards that our customers have come to expect, we opted to raise the price of the sights to more accurately reflect their cost of production.

oregon45
11-26-17, 13:42
Still a great value at the increased price; I replaced a set of Daniel Defense sights with a set of OPS sights and the difference in quality and function is readily apparent.

Scalarworks
11-26-17, 14:27
Still a great value at the increased price; I replaced a set of Daniel Defense sights with a set of OPS sights and the difference in quality and function is readily apparent.

Thanks very much :)

Hulkstr8
11-26-17, 17:58

I know the Troy's are folding, but are they better than the Troy sights? When not in storage, I just keep the front sight up.

Biggy
11-26-17, 18:09
The OPS/ Peak sights have been working out fine for my RDS carbine setup.

https://i.imgur.com/Vmy8uL2l.jpg

Scalarworks
11-27-17, 09:43
I know the Troy's are folding, but are they better than the Troy sights? When not in storage, I just keep the front sight up.

The big technical advantages of the Peak front sight would be the slimmer post that is more suited to modern carbines, and the finer 0.5MOA/click elevation adjustment that can be done without the use of a sight tool or blunting a perfectly good bullet tip.

It's also quite a bit lighter weight than the folding Troy.

Hulkstr8
11-27-17, 10:19
The big technical advantages of the Peak front sight would be the slimmer post that is more suited to modern carbines, and the finer 0.5MOA/click elevation adjustment that can be done without the use of a sight tool or blunting a perfectly good bullet tip.

No doubt your product has advantages. I will keep your products in mind, but I have routinely picked up the Troy M4 sights (complete) for half the price of the Peak set.

With that said you'll more than likely get some of my money in the future.

Wake27
03-17-18, 02:26

Any eta for the Peak sights to come back? I saw Brownells had the pair in stock for a few days but I just need a front sight.

Scalarworks
03-17-18, 08:21
Any eta for the Peak sights to come back? I saw Brownells had the pair in stock for a few days but I just need a front sight.

Individual sights are only available through us directly. We expect the fronts to be back in stock by the end of April.

Butch
03-17-18, 08:38
Individual sights are only available through us directly. We expect the fronts to be back in stock by the end of April.

What's the ETA on the rears?

Scalarworks
03-17-18, 08:57
What's the ETA on the rears?

End of May. We have ETAs listed for our fixed iron sights at the bottom of this page: https://scalarworks.com/shop/iron-sights/peak-fixed-iron-sights/

We'll keep these updated as we get more info.

Thanks for hanging in there.

Wake27
03-17-18, 10:23

Thanks for the update. I check the page pretty frequently so hopefully the ETAs being listed is new, otherwise I don’t know how I missed it.

Scalarworks
03-17-18, 10:25
Thanks for the update. I check the page pretty frequently so hopefully the ETAs being listed is new, otherwise I don’t know how I missed it.

Yes, they went up yesterday. We'll keep them updated and start narrowing them down as we get closer.

MWAG19919
03-17-18, 12:23
On the website Scalarworks says the materials are 7075 T6 and 4140H steel. Which parts are made of steel?

Scalarworks
03-17-18, 13:58
On the website Scalarworks says the materials are 7075 T6 and 4140H steel. Which parts are made of steel?

The bases are 7075-T6 Aluminum, every other component is 4140H steel: Peep, post, thumbwheel, thumbscrew, cross bolts. All custom CNC machined and unique to our iron sights.

titsonritz
07-29-19, 19:10
I sent my rear PEAK sight in for some warranty work last Monday and was shocked to have it back in my hands today, exactly one week later from the other side of the country (I'm in Oregon). I'm impressed with Scalarworks no bullshit customer service. Great work, thank you.

Scalarworks
07-30-19, 09:26
I sent my rear PEAK sight in for some warranty work last Monday and was shocked to have it back in my hands today, exactly one week later from the other side of the country (I'm in Oregon). I'm impressed with Scalarworks no bullshit customer service. Great work, thank you.

You're very welcome.