PDA

View Full Version : Beretta APX for duty

Texaspoff
07-12-17, 13:31
I am normally pretty good about digging up info on department issued weapons, but wanted to see if anyone has heard about any agencies adopting the Beretta APX yet? I suspect someone out there is looking as Safariland already has ALS duty holsters in production. They aren't usually that quick on duty holster for new platforms, unless an agency has put in a request for an order.

TXPO

CanineCombatives
07-12-17, 14:32
Lots going on behind the scenes, even today, big deal right now is quality sights, the only thing on the table currently is the standard ameriglo tritium with white outline that beretta is putting on the LE package along with 3 mags, not going to cut it, we need either the new ameriglo bold series (GL956) made to fit the APX or the ameriglo FBI contract sights or the trijicon HD XR's, all of which are in the works. There are a lot of departments interested but until those sights are available and the pistols can be ordered equipped with them as the glock and P320 can the APX is handicapped.

Texaspoff
07-12-17, 15:06
Yeah I'm with you on that. I have been running and beating up on an APX pretty hard this past week. The biggest drawback for me is the sights, being used to my 320 and the bright front sights. I like the APX quite a bit, but still hung up on the full sized thing. I much prefer a compact, P320C, G19 sized pistol, but, the APX even being a full sized, isn't a lot bigger. I may have to go out purchase one of these for myself, the one I am using is a loaner. I also keep holding off hoping Beretta will announce a compact version. Again, I figure Beretta's APX compact will likely be more like the PX4 compact, which IMO is too small to double as uniform duty and off duty weapon system.

The more time I spend with the APX though, the more I like it, but it still has a long way to go before it dethrones my 320's

TXPO

CanineCombatives
07-12-17, 18:54
Funny, I've always had the bigger is better mindset for duty pistols, more barrel=more velocity, more size=more capacity, longer slide=better sight radius etc. That all reached critical mass during I think it was season 3 of miami vice when Crockett started sporting the smith 645, I actually carried one for several months before the novelty wore off and I went back to my P226, good times.
I run the full size P320 which has a longer slide and barrel than the APX so it's not something I ever thought about, as to the switch, as soon as I secure proper sights for mine I'm ready, and I say that mostly because of ergonomics, since thats the only area I feel it's really superior to the 320, but I cant think of a more important element of a pistol, the better it feels the better you will be with it.

ramairthree
07-12-17, 23:14
I doubt it.
I think they screwed the pooch in many ways.

No standard sight cuts. Can't use the current off the shelf sight options.

FPB poking up. Suboptimal for those looking to slide mount RDS.

It's not a full length, full sized service gun. But it's not a compact.
And the huge trigger guard will be tough to make a compact frame that has usable grip.

All new mags. No compatibility with 92, 96, Cougar, PX4 for those that already had them.

A company history of comparably expensive parts with comparably limited availability.

A company history of multiple failed handgun lines.

A ccompany history of finding little aftermarket support.

Basically,
You can find multiple pistol lines with more pros and less cons.

CanineCombatives
07-13-17, 20:35
Most of the cons pertain to the commercial side, which I'm sure it's clear to BUSA already that the APX is not going to be a sweetheart pistol for the range queens and gun bunnies, from an LE/GOV perspective none of those things really matter, the thing flat out works, very well, and beretta will bend over backwards and give reacharounds to make sure they are happy with them.

bobbytucson
07-14-17, 02:57
I compete uspsa and idpa, as well as take tons of classes since I'm a volunteer for adaptive firearms Institute, I haven't cleaned it since I've owned it in 5500 rounds, carbon is building up, slide is gritty, but this thing believe it or not has had zero malfunctions, and it's a dusty dirty environment here in Tucson. I haven't even lubed it. I bought this as an experiment, I could care less about this apx. I cant knock this thing now. Very stupid safety plunger, very wierd spring. Serrations are ugly but God damn They function even better than expected. The trigger is basically an apex trigger, way better then Glock especially now that it's broken in. Internally it's simple, non complex. Magazines are cheap, but suck because of the front catch, sticks and slices kydex on the draw. But...the apx is just dam reliable, and top 2 in accuracy next to hk vp9. I just can't miss a zones with this thing. I served in army national guard, am not an opperator, nor have I ever been deployed over seas, but I will take this to duty over any other pistol. I own g19, g17, p320, vp9, I just love my apx, shot impulse is spongy and addictive.

Grunow
07-14-17, 07:55
Anymore I take a "wait and see" approach when a new firearm comes out. It always seems that the first couple years are "live beta testing" with most of them until things are ironed out, improved, fixed, etc. Just my .02.

CanineCombatives
07-14-17, 08:00
Yep, the only thing it needs other than proper sights is some fine checkering or knurling on the slide release that goes all the way to the top of it, even though it operates smoothly and I haven't missed it I'd like more grip, like you I got it just to get up to speed on it ahead of any agency adoptions and man I was amazed, I'm gonna run a TLR on it because I don't like the way the X300 bezel protrudes out so far, all further shooting will be done with the TLR mounted.

Pilgrim
07-16-17, 09:13
I bought an APX just for the heck of it... Then after running it, and being so impressed with the results, I bought a second one! The critics of this pistol seem more afraid that it might actually be better than their pistol of choice, than how it actually performs.

The APX would make a fantastic duty weapon. Good to see Safariland making a duty holster... But I'm having a hard time finding a OWB concealed carry holster.

Grunow
07-16-17, 09:21
The critics of this pistol seem more afraid that it might actually be better than their pistol of choice, than how it actually performs.

Well, seems you have the situation all figured out then. Enjoy Beta testing, and thanks for your service.

Pilgrim
07-16-17, 12:30
Well, seems you have the situation all figured out then. Enjoy Beta testing, and thanks for your service.

There are no reported problems with this pistol that I know of.

John Chapman beta tested it for me, as did the other nations before it was released in the US.

Texaspoff
07-16-17, 15:06
There are no reported problems with this pistol that I know of.

John Chapman beta tested it for me, as did the other nations before it was released in the US.

I haven't seen any issues show up with the APX so far. While there doesn't seem to be a ton of them out with real world rounds through them, it seem favorable so far.

I am really digging the one I have been testing out. The more I shoot and tote it around, the more I am leaning towards relinquishing my bias toward more compact sized pistols. While the APX is a full sized pistol, it carries just as well in an off duty environment as my 320 does. I'm still not 100% sold on it, due to the sights, but overall, Beretta seems to have done some pretty serious homework.

It is very obvious that Beretta built the APX as a duty weapon, not a CCW. I am very curious to see what they have up their sleeve in a CCW role with this platform.

At this point, I am planing on picking up an LE version before I return this one. As Combat has stated, better sights are in the works so I won't have to deal with the factory ones for too long.

TXPO

CanineCombatives
07-20-17, 22:54
Interesting tidbit I discovered, with the pic rail insert installed on the X300U A, the light will hit the front of the trigger guard before
the retention bar engages the last slot on the pic rail on the frame of the APX, it's very close but no cigar, I'll try the glock insert later.

bp7178
07-21-17, 10:23
Did you use the P plate or the U one? When I tried to slide my X300U-A on the HK VP9 I bought last night I found it wouldn't fit. Same problem you describe. When I changed it to the U plate, no issues. Slides on and off with ease now.

CanineCombatives
07-21-17, 14:30

Texaspoff
07-21-17, 15:59

Nice.....needs the black backstrap insert. I am seriously thinking about a greay or OD green one for mine.

TXPO

CanineCombatives
07-21-17, 19:19
Still going back and forth, it's on there now.
I must say the frame swap is pretty much an armorer level task.

Nightstalker865
07-21-17, 22:23
Interesting tidbit I discovered, with the pic rail insert installed on the X300U A, the light will hit the front of the trigger guard before
the retention bar engages the last slot on the pic rail on the frame of the APX, it's very close but no cigar, I'll try the glock insert later.

Did you try it with the spacer removed from the back of the X300U? That should allow it to slide back further on the rail.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170722/271b8fde5303f6f451e00ef29bb1181c.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170722/1836079c06d44fa1ce851e67841bae71.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nightstalker865
07-21-17, 22:27
Did you use the P plate or the U one? When I tried to slide my X300U-A on the HK VP9 I bought last night I found it wouldn't fit. Same problem you describe. When I changed it to the U plate, no issues. Slides on and off with ease now.

See my post above. This will allow you to use the P insert as designed, on the VP9.

CanineCombatives
07-21-17, 23:19
How exactly are you getting those pins out? This will undoubtedly solve the problem, thanks.

Nightstalker865
07-22-17, 06:25
How exactly are you getting those pins out? This will undoubtedly solve the problem, thanks.

Just use a small punch and push them out.

CanineCombatives
07-22-17, 11:38
Didnt have one that tiny so I ended up using an 18 gauge veterinary syringe, finally got them out, and the channel that it frees up indeed gets the retention bar lined up perfectly with the first pic rail slot toward the muzzle, however it will not engage into the slot, this is the X300A which has the plastic wings and rail slot which should not have anything to do with it but she just will not engage.
Personally I prefer the newest 800 lumen TLR regardless of the pistol but would still like to have the option of running an X300U B the all aluminum version.

Nightstalker865
07-22-17, 13:35
Didnt have one that tiny so I ended up using an 18 gauge veterinary syringe, finally got them out, and the channel that it frees up indeed gets the retention bar lined up perfectly with the first pic rail slot toward the muzzle, however it will not engage into the slot, this is the X300A which has the plastic wings and rail slot which should not have anything to do with it but she just will not engage.
Personally I prefer the newest 800 lumen TLR regardless of the pistol but would still like to have the option of running an X300U B the all aluminum version.

I have migrated to the TLR-1 as well. I just prefer the activation switch that Streamlight uses.

As for the X300, you might try loosening up the 6 screws that hold the rails on the light. Sometimes that will adjust the mount just enough to lock it in. Once you have it adjusted to fit, simply snug the screws back down while the light is mounted on the gun. Then you should be able to take it on and off easily. This is a trick I've had to use on Sig's before due to their proprietary rail.