PDA

View Full Version : MOH winner donates medal

WillBrink
07-15-17, 08:40
A pretty cool gesture.

"Sal sprinted ahead, at every step meeting relentless enemy fire with his own. He crested a hill alone, with no cover but the dust kicked up by the storm of bullets still biting into the ground. There, he saw a chilling sight: the silhouettes of two insurgents carrying the other wounded American away -- who happened to be one of Sal's best friends. Sal never broke stride. He leapt forward. He took aim. He killed one of the insurgents and wounded the other, who ran off."
But almost immediately Giunta felt the weight of the honor.

And last week, he took another extraordinary step. At a ceremony in Vicenza, Italy honoring the storied history of the brigade, Giunta pulled out his medal and handed it to the brigade, saying he wanted the medal to be with them: "I want this to stay here in Vicenza, Italy with the 173rd to the men and women that earn this every single day through their selflessness and sacrifice," he told the audience, which was full of young troops."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/13/politics/giunta-medal-of-honor/index.html

SeriousStudent
07-15-17, 09:21
Staff Sergeant Giunta is a Man of Honor.

Much respect.

Renegade
07-15-17, 10:11
His medal, his choice, but I am glad my Grandfather, who I never met, did not give away his medal.

Eurodriver
07-23-17, 11:45
No one wins a Medal of Honor.

soulezoo
07-23-17, 11:57
Indeed.

ABNAK
07-23-17, 14:19

Correct, common misspeak. Earned is more accurate, then you are awarded it.