PDA

View Full Version : Differences in Glock Gen 1, 2, & 3 Parts?

GNXII
07-15-17, 16:28
I heard this at gunstore this morning and had to ask here for feedback...

Counter Guy:"You should avoid buying early Glock Gens (1 & 2) as you can't get replacement parts for them anymore, there really for collectors only at this point."

Newish Gun Guy: "uh okay..."

Me : WTF?!?!

Ive never heard this statement before nor have ever read that. While not involved in the nuances of the smaller parts on Gen 1 & 2 guns , I would think that Gen 3 parts will work fine when installed in them if something does break. Am I right on this?

SeriousStudent
07-15-17, 17:12
I should quit carrying this Gen 2 G19 then, it's a rare and valuable heirloom now..... <end of sarcasm directed at gun store guy>

Many Glock parts are interchangeable between generations 1, 2 and 3; within the same caliber or frame size. It's often best to consult a Glock-trained armorer. It's not that hard a cert to get, I've done the class twice, and the manual is useful to have.

I'd snag a Gen 1 G17 just as a fun gun to have. They are usually expensive when encountered.

I carry a Gen 2 G19 every day without a qualm. I am always happy to pick up another Gen 2 G19 or G17, just to shoot and enjoy.

Grunow
07-15-17, 17:36
I heard this at a gunstore .....

So many hilarious tales ensue after those six words

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've had many Glocks over the years, in many calibers, in many Gen X combinations. They all have worked just fine. In fact, I can even get effective accuracy shooting them with the sights and triggers Glock produces them with. I know, crazy, huh?

I've always considered the simplicity and interchangeability of parts across Glock handguns to be a particular strength of the Glock and the ability for nearly anyone with an IQ above his resting diastolic blood pressure to be able to work on it to be a huge plus for the Glock.

Phillygunguy
07-15-17, 18:30
Gen 2 17, 19 gtg. I have both no issues

ST911
07-15-17, 19:17
Counter Guy:"You should avoid buying early Glock Gens (1 & 2) as you can't get replacement parts for them anymore, there really for collectors only at this point."

Complete nonsense.

GNXII
07-15-17, 19:29
Yeah, I kinda figured this as BS. I assume counter guy had alot of new Glock Gen 4s come in that he had to move to get his quota or draw...

DirectTo
07-15-17, 22:08
Other than the frame differences, the only differences between 1, 2, and 3 would be the extractor (older, non-LCI vs newer LCI), the locking block (2 pin vs 3 pin frame), and the slide lock (again, 2 pin vs 3 pin frame). Everything else interchanges, and all of those parts are still easily available.

SW CQB 45
07-16-17, 00:17
in my possession in a Gen 2 G19 that I set up and issued for duty use over a year ago. It came back to me with a Gen 4 trigger bar and horrible trigger press.

I have a mess of brand new Gen 3 trigger bars and out of a handful, not of them were sufficient for a smooth press. in fact, the initial press was very sticky and when it lets go....its not a smooth press.

I contacted our Glock Rep....he could not get me a Gen 2 trigger bar. I was able to trade for a true Gen 2 G17 trigger bar (smooth face....ha) and it works much better in this Gen 2. Go figure.....I need to do some minor polishing but overall its the best with what I have.

I issued our Chief a Gen 2 G19 with the prefix BCMxxx, now that trigger press is bone stock sweet.

these two guns were dispo'ed through the court system for police use only. They can never leave our dept with the only other option of destroy.

ST911
07-16-17, 09:23
Adding... Here is the current parts list available to armorers, open source from the Glock website: https://us.glock.com/documents/FRM-72-26.xls

While some particular part numbers have been discontinued, replacements/spares are provided for in new specifications. For example, ejector 4340 should be replaced with 1882. Extractor 336 is no longer available individually, but can be obtained in trigger mechanism housing 322. Part numbers and markings may not always reflect a design change. Also, that parts list is only what's available to armorers and doesn't include many others not available in the US or outside the factory.

While it's true that I can't order the original two-piece recoil spring and rod for my late 80's G17s, I can still get a replacement 90/0 non-LCI extractor and an updated RSA.

OP- Send that list to your gunshop.

in my possession in a Gen 2 G19 that I set up and issued for duty use over a year ago. It came back to me with a Gen 4 trigger bar and horrible trigger press.

I have a mess of brand new Gen 3 trigger bars and out of a handful, not of them were sufficient for a smooth press. in fact, the initial press was very sticky and when it lets go....its not a smooth press.

I contacted our Glock Rep....he could not get me a Gen 2 trigger bar. I was able to trade for a true Gen 2 G17 trigger bar (smooth face....ha) and it works much better in this Gen 2. Go figure.....I need to do some minor polishing but overall its the best with what I have.

I issued our Chief a Gen 2 G19 with the prefix BCMxxx, now that trigger press is bone stock sweet.

these two guns were dispo'ed through the court system for police use only. They can never leave our dept with the only other option of destroy.

You probably know this, but for the benefit of others... The trigger with trigger bar is only one component of an interdependent system. If other components already have wear, they shouldn't be expected feel the same or even similarly depending on tolerances. If playing with trigger press qualities, I've found it best to have a box of new spare trigger with trigger bars, connectors, firing pins safeties, and firing pins, swapping until I found the best combo, then letting them wear in.

No polishing. No ".25 trigger jobs." Just work.

Dionysusigma
07-16-17, 11:22
Counter Guy:"You should avoid buying early Glock Gens (1 & 2) as you can't get replacement parts for them anymore; they're really for collectors only at this point."

Translation: Greasy SalesSpeak to English

"Selling new guns makes us more money, even though older generations run just as well."

st381183
07-16-17, 11:44
Actually selling used guns makes more money for my shop. Bigger mark up and cheaper to obtain. Just like car dealerships, used cars are where the bread and butter is.

SW CQB 45
07-16-17, 11:54
You probably know this, but for the benefit of others... The trigger with trigger bar is only one component of an interdependent system. If other components already have wear, they shouldn't be expected feel the same or even similarly depending on tolerances. If playing with trigger press qualities, I've found it best to have a box of new spare trigger with trigger bars, connectors, firing pins safeties, and firing pins, swapping until I found the best combo, then letting them wear in.

No polishing. No ".25 trigger jobs." Just work.

Yes sir

The trigger bar I got (gen2) has some perpendicular striations across the arch that rides against the connector.

I can feel them through the trigger press.

Since this trigger bar is valuable to this particular gun, I just plan to use a fine stone and just slightly dress the marks and polish the arch.

My parts supply for older guns is limited to G21 and we are slowly transitioning to G17/19.

I did not inspect the connector but this gun was perfect a year ago.