PDA

View Full Version : General Purpose Bipod

Wake27
07-17-17, 11:06
I'm considering getting a bipod for general use. The other day, I was able to stretch my Noveske out to 600m and hopefully that will become a more common occurrence. I also want something more stable to zero/diagnose issues off of - usually I just use an ammo can or range bag. That being said,is Harris the only decent option for under $150? Im not convinced I need a $200+ Atlas because it will likely see seldom use. General order of priorities for me: quality/durability, price, mounting system (ideally be able to interface w/ keymod and MLOK without a pic rail, weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotrodder636
07-17-17, 11:12
I have a couple Harris and a Harris knockoff. The Harris is most definitely better made than the knockoff--which turned out to be pretty much a waste of 20 dollars.

I use mine on an precision LR-308 and on my MK12. Works well. There are Harris adapters that mount directly to KM and MLOK.

While the Atlas seem nice, I get what I need out of the Harris and cannot justify double the price for my uses.

Lefty223
07-17-17, 11:13
I find the Harris w/ cant adjustability to be ideal for my use and frankly - budget. Best advise you setup w/ samdbags as you will primarily use the bilod, then measure height of your rig and go from there for the bipod height. Many work, but one should never fight their setup.

Establishing a repeated, solid setup with a consistent Natural Point of Aim (NPA) is key. Anyone can 'make do' for a few shots ...

militarymoron
07-17-17, 11:23
Harris with cant adjustment has always worked well for me. Just install a bipod stud at the bottom of your handguard; no pic rail needed.

Vandal
07-17-17, 11:24
Sounds like a Harris would do just fine for you. Mine is adjustable for cant and i have the spring loaded, notched legs.

I want an Atlas but can't justify the money for how little I use it.

gunnerblue
07-17-17, 11:36
Harris with the swivel base will be just fine for general, and especially, limited use. The terrain here is very brushy so I often find that my 6-9" models are a little too low for prone shooting. I find myself using the 9-27" model more often, which is helpful for sitting positions as well. The Pod-lock accessory is very useful as well if you get a swivel model.

Averageman
07-17-17, 11:38
I own two Harris bipods. One with and one without can't.
I would go with the Harris with the can't and not look back. They are the Toyota Tacoma's of bipods.
Yeah you could do better, but not for that kind of money.

uffdaphil
07-17-17, 12:40
The one must-have upgrade for the Harris - locking lever. Here are a couple:
http://rifleshooter.com/2015/01/harris-swivel-bipod-locks-kmw-pod-loc-and-eab-s-lever/

hotrodder636
07-17-17, 12:46
The swivel locking lever is pretty much a must.

Wake27
07-17-17, 12:49
Awesome, thank you guys. I've seen the Harris around but just wanted to make sure there wasn't another option out there that I was missing since I've never once even considered a bipod. Shooting out that far was pretty fun though, hence the interest.

RobertTheTexan
07-17-17, 12:57
I have an Atlas on my DMR and I do understand the price after using it, but I use it almost every time I fire that rifle. I have had a TipTop bipod now for about a year and a half on my SPR. It's proven itself to be a reliable bipod. The company is based out of CO, but I believe they outsource manufacturing. If you think you might be interested in it, shoot me a PM. I have an extra I can loan you to try out. You can send it back when your done. They run about $79-90 bucks for the one I bought. It has pan and swivel and it locks up nicely. I'm almost positive they offer a military discount so you could potentially save yourself a few bucks. It does have a a picatinny mount, but I may have an extra mlok laying around.

ScottsBad
07-17-17, 14:04
I have an Atlas and a cheapie i cannot remember the name of. Anyway, I'm no bipod expert, but when I was doing research I found that a lot of precision shooters still use Harris, but they modify them. The modifications can be expensive and can add up to nearly the cost of the standard Atlas.

My requirements include a picatinny QD and there are ways to do that with both.

The Atlas legs lock in place while the Harris has springs that hold it in place. The Harris is very quick to deploy and fold. The Atlas allows unconventional leg placement. The Harris is less expensive. The Atlas is very light, not sure about the Harris with extras. The Altlas comes with some swivel, I can't remember what the Harris will do out of the box. For me the Atlas hit the deployed height sweet spot too.

My memory is not what it used to be. But look at: Weight, height, features, add-ons, total cost, leg deployment, etc. And match against your requirements.

With that said, I will be buying a Harris in the future as a secondary bipod.

markm
07-17-17, 14:21
I hate shooting guns with Harris pods. The Atlas is very worth the price to me.

ScottsBad
07-17-17, 14:49
I hate shooting guns with Harris pods. The Atlas is very worth the price to me.

MarkM, could you tell the OP why? I'd be curious too.

bamashooter
07-17-17, 19:21
Mine's not a fancy one but has worked very well. Mine back in April was 69.00 shipped. They make longer ones if needed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TipTop-Rifle-Bipod-Notched-Legs-EZ-Pivot-PAN-Quickest-Swivel-Mount-6-9-/152237000806?hash=item2372084866:g:0oYAAOSw3v5YpNsz

http://i.imgur.com/QaPb3r8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hMqQE0X.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PhYJ52z.jpg

On my Windham Government model, it's very easily installed / removed with the sling swivel - style pin.

NongShim
07-17-17, 19:47
The ONLY time I use a bipod is if the position will not allow for something soft to be used. Then I prefer the Atlas. It is sleeker and more user friendly to me. More adjustable in my view, given that the legs can be used at angles from the bore other than 90. When you consider that the Atlas comes ready to mount on a gun made in the 21st century (not sling stud), it's not much more than some Harris models after adapters are added. Prob lighter too at that point. The Harris has one strong point: rapid folding.

Stickman
07-17-17, 20:12
I like my Bobro bipods, but typically I don't use a bipod when I'm out and about. Department policy forbids them due to backwards thinking.

Kdubya
07-17-17, 21:08
Mine's not a fancy one but has worked very well. Mine back in April was 69.00 shipped. They make longer ones if needed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TipTop-Rifle-Bipod-Notched-Legs-EZ-Pivot-PAN-Quickest-Swivel-Mount-6-9-/152237000806?hash=item2372084866:g:0oYAAOSw3v5YpNsz

On my Windham Government model, it's very easily installed / removed with the sling swivel - style pin.

I was actually going to suggest the same. I tried one out on a Remington 700 and have been quite pleased. I purchased directly from the mfg (Peleton Technology) because I found a good discount code. I have the non-notched pivot and pan version. The legs are still adjustable, and actually offer a wider range of adjustment compared to notches. It's not super easy to adjust the legs quickly on the fly; outside of fully collapsed or deployed. It's not difficult. Just not as quick as notches.

The pivot and pan features work great, and it locks up very tight. Altogether, it was a good purchase and has held up well on a 308. There are quite a few different options to choose from, so you can definitely find one with the features you're wanting.

bamashooter
07-17-17, 21:46
I was actually going to suggest the same. I tried one out on a Remington 700 and have been quite pleased. I purchased directly from the mfg (Peleton Technology) because I found a good discount code. I have the non-notched pivot and pan version. The legs are still adjustable, and actually offer a wider range of adjustment compared to notches. It's not super easy to adjust the legs quickly on the fly; outside of fully collapsed or deployed. It's not difficult. Just not as quick as notches.

The pivot and pan features work great, and it locks up very tight. Altogether, it was a good purchase and has held up well on a 308. There are quite a few different options to choose from, so you can definitely find one with the features you're wanting.
I especially like the 40* pan and the lock. Functions from noodle loose to a locked totally down lock. I was pleasantly surprised how stout it's built. Quite weighty but so what. Not running and dropping with it. Walking it from my truck to the bench while the wife carries my coffee.:cool:

The-Hammer
07-28-17, 09:02
I've been happy with my Harris 9"-13" with swivel. The area where I shoot is always too grown up to use anything less than a 9" bipod. If I'm shooting off a bench while sighting in I'll use a pack.

markm
07-28-17, 11:49
MarkM, could you tell the OP why? I'd be curious too.

They are wildly over complicated. Always coming loose. A pain to diagnose. I genuinely get irritated when I have to shoot a gun with a Harris.

arptsprt
07-29-17, 07:44
I have both and find the Atlas to be way more versatile. The Harris now resides full time on one of my LR rifles. When switching from gun to gun, I do have to sometimes adjust the AD amount QD lever on the Atlas to fit different rails/rail sections but it's no big deal.

Another interesting product several of us are trying in our group is the Heathen Systems Assaulter bipod. It's a barricade stop and bipod combo meant to be simple and light. It's quite handy we're finding.

https://www.heathensystems.com

_Stormin_
07-29-17, 08:40
Always coming loose.
I had this issue until a dab of loctite and and overnight wait... The Harris works on the one carbine I shoot from a bipod.

I also have no plans on removing the bipod from that handguard for a little while, so that solution works for me when it may not for others.

RobertTheTexan
07-29-17, 09:12
I especially like the 40* pan and the lock. Functions from noodle loose to a locked totally down lock. I was pleasantly surprised how stout it's built. Quite weighty but so what. Not running and dropping with it. Walking it from my truck to the bench while the wife carries my coffee.:cool:

I've done a bit if that running and dropping.... well more like jogging and dropping and I haven't broken mine yet. The only qualms I have or maybe concern is that polymer tension 1/2 wing nut on the pan & swivel. Not that I've broken it, but it's just concerning. I wish it were metal.

RobertTheTexan
07-29-17, 09:23

They have a decent military discount. I have the original non-notched version and the notched. In terms of getting the bipod level on a level surface the notched is faster to adjust for me. But it's rare that I am shooting prone from a level surface. The only levsel surface I shoot from is a bench and then I don't use it anyway, I'll use bags.
I think because they aren't made in the motherland, they don't have wide acceptance, but as they work for me.

BrigandTwoFour
07-29-17, 11:00
When I have the need for a bipod (which is rare), I much prefer my Atlas over my Harris. In fact, the Harris almost never leaves the spare parts box since the ADM lever on my Atlas lets me put it on whatever rifle I need it to.

I really enjoy the fact that I can set the Atlas legs at different angles so I can get lower to the ground. The Atlas feels better made to me.

That said, I agree with NongShim above. I would rather drop my pack on the ground and shoot off it, or find some other way of stabilizing the rifle. The bipod is my "nothing else was available" option.

Kdubya
07-29-17, 11:38
They have a decent military discount. I have the original non-notched version and the notched. In terms of getting the bipod level on a level surface the notched is faster to adjust for me. But it's rare that I am shooting prone from a level surface. The only levsel surface I shoot from is a bench and then I don't use it anyway, I'll use bags.
I think because they aren't made in the motherland, they don't have wide acceptance, but as they work for me.

While they're not wildly popular or well known, it seems that everyone I encounter who's used one is pretty satisfied. Makes me think they should do some more advertising. I don't even remember how exactly I'd stumbled across them. IIRC it was on eBay, and then I spent a while trying to research and figure out who the heck they were :)

To your point about getting it level on a level surface, that's where the pivot and pan features really come in handy. I don't have to sit there tinkering with the legs (non-notched) for very long. Get it close and make the final adjustments with the pivot/pan. On that same topic, it is interesting you mention the wing nut. I too have thought it could be the one weak point. But, at the same time, it's not ever given me trouble.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend them and would certainly purchase another.

556BlackRifle
07-30-17, 14:14
I love my Atlas. IMO it's the most versatile unit out there. If I had an extra $3K laying around I'd buy one for every AR I own. That said, I also have the Harris - S and the Harris - S knockoff made by Blackhawk. The Blackhawk cost me $49 and does a surprisingly good job. The Harris S is no slouch and also does a great job.

Kdubya
07-30-17, 16:08
I've definitely been interested in the design of Atlas bipods. In particular, the greater versatility in how the legs can be oriented. However, for my purposes, I can't seem to rationalize spending that kind of money on a bipod. I'm not a scout sniper. I don't need it for work. I also don't shoot from a bipod all that often. Enough that it's worth having on some rifles, but I have no problem shooting from bags or an improvised rest. I'm sure Atlas are worth the money. For me, I simply can think of a lot of other things where the spending $200-$300 would provide more utility.

Like one will find with Harris, there are some companies I've come across who make bipods comparable to Atlas in how they function. And they sell them for considerably less money. For the most part they get pretty good reviews. There are some common shortcomings some will elude to; being slight issues with the pan/tilt features. Still, they seem to be resolved by spending a couple bucks on o-rings, loctite, or teflon tape. I may try one out, with the expectation that it's a $50 bipod. Not that it's supposed to be a 1:1 equivalent to an Atlas.

I think the hardest part is getting past their names. Green Blob, Fireclub, etc. Lol. Then again, I thought "Tip Top" was equally goofy. But it does the job quite well.