PDA

View Full Version : CCW - full frame with Thunderwear

twpayne75
10-03-08, 13:59
First of all I am a restaurant district supervisor. Meaning I stand about 10 to 12 hours per day. My preffered weapon for CC is a Sig 226. I have smaller pistols but I am best, and most comfortable with the sig.

I have been looking at various appendix carry holsters and the Thunderwear seems to have several clothing advantages.

If a jacket or outergarment is usable I have a few Desantis, Galco, and Mitch Rossen holsters. But in the restaurant it tends to get a little warm. The option of carrying with just a polo shirt would be a great option.

I am 5' 11" and weigh about 200 lbs. So yes I sample our products.

Should Thunderwear be considered for a full size pistol such as the 226.

Thanks,

Terry

tjcoker
10-03-08, 23:12
Using Thunderwear I was able to carry a G21 at a funeral while wearing my suit without jacket. I also carried a full size 1911 that method as dress dictated. It's slower than an IWB, but better than just carrying my J-frame IMO.

twpayne75
10-03-08, 23:17
Using Thunderwear I was able to carry a G21 at a funeral while wearing my suit without jacket. I also carried a full size 1911 that method as dress dictated. It's slower than an IWB, but better than just carrying my J-frame IMO.

Thats what I wanted to know. Thanks for the reply.

Terry

tjcoker
10-03-08, 23:19
No problem man... plus it gets the women's attention too... ;)

ST911
10-04-08, 11:39
Are you interacting with customers in the dining room, or performing administrative/inspection functions? In the former, your waistline is at eye level of your customer and warrants more attention. In the latter, you have a bit more latitude.

I would increase your proficiency with more compact platforms. Sigs 228/239, Glocks 19/26, J-frames, etc, all will offer better concealment potential without irregular carry methods like thunderwear.

Also consider pocket, ankle, and low-IWB carry, which offer excellent concealment, and better presentation.

twpayne75
10-04-08, 15:55
Are you interacting with customers in the dining room, or performing administrative/inspection functions? In the former, your waistline is at eye level of your customer and warrants more attention. In the latter, you have a bit more latitude.

I am not neccesarily with the customers all that often, except for random checks. Mainly I am in the rear. All employees know I carry as I have gotten several of them to get permits and carry also.

I can see where a smaller frame pistol would be beneficial. Really prefer my Sig or TRP. May look into a compact Springfield or Kimber. I own a Glock 17 but to be honest, don't really like shooting it. Assuming a 19 would not be that much different. Bought wife a 26 and she hated it. Went back to her S&W 908s.

I will also check out the smaller Sigs. I have only had one revolver in my life, Never again.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have more to ponder.........

Abraxas
10-04-08, 18:12
I have only had one revolver in my life, Never again.

Why never again?

twpayne75
10-05-08, 17:55
Why never again?

Only revolver I have owned is a Colt Anaconda. Obviously not for a CCW.

I have just never shot one that I really cared for. Always preferred auto's.

Is a revolver really that much better for cc? They sure aren't any cheaper.

Terry

twpayne75
10-18-08, 20:29
Ok. Found one I liked and could afford. S&W 637. Been carrying for about three days and at times forget I have it. Sorry for the cell pic. All I had at the time.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/twpayne75/1016081546.jpg

maximus83
10-20-08, 02:19

I would increase your proficiency with more compact platforms. Sigs 228/239, Glocks 19/26, J-frames, etc, all will offer better concealment potential without irregular carry methods like thunderwear.

Also consider pocket, ankle, and low-IWB carry, which offer excellent concealment, and better presentation.

I have used a Thunderwear/Smartcarry for a couple of years, and here is my assessment of it:

Pros:
* Excellent, deep concealment.
* Can carry full-sized pistols.
* Can carry other items/gear as well as the pistol.
* Can fit multiple pistols in the same holster.

Those are some very compelling "pros" for this type of holster. However, the "cons" tend to negate the above benefits:

Cons:
* Often creates issues with comfort. Pistol jabbing you in bad places, binding up when you stand up or sit down, etc.
* Prints badly, limits your clothing choices. Bad problems with wider guns "printing" and bulging, unless you wear pleated pants. If you can wear baggy or pleated pants at all times, then no problem.
* These holster often wear badly INSIDE where the holster fabric rubs against your pants. This gets so bad, within a year of consistent wear you will be having to placed duct tape on the holster to keep the muzzle of your pistol from coming through.
* As Skintop says, and this is the real killer for this type of holster: the presentation is unacceptably slow. I practiced repeatedly and could never get the weapon free of the holster in satisfactory amount of time. Plus I had repeated issues with getting it stuck on my belt-line.

My conclusion:
I would suggest not getting the Smartcarry/Thunderwear holsters if you are serious about being able to draw your weapon and use it. These holsters were designed for deep concealment, but I am convinced that the designer(s) did not think through carefully the many issues involved in drawing a weapon from this position. Please note: I am not condemning index-type carry in general, I am specifically talking about the position of the Thunderwear/Smartcarry holsters where they are INSIDE your pants and BELOW your beltline.

As Skintop says, you have many excellent and better alternatives for holsters today. In my case, I've gone back to a two-fold approach to carrying: an IWB for my primary, and a new concept of deep concealment holster called the "Truss holster (http://www.specgear.com/trusspics.html)" that I use in special cases and when I need deep concealment.

westcoastfrog
10-20-08, 02:31
i carried the sig p226 in that exact fashion and never had an issue. i was even "searched" and patted down and had no problem.
eta: not the most comfortable method obviously.

30 cal slut
10-20-08, 07:09
as mentioned, there is a tradeoff between concealment (deep) and access (much slower than an IWB holster).

i carry a full size auto (M&P 9) ... if you're wearing tight pants, it will print, especially the butt of the pistol.

having said that, it's my everyday carry rig, except maybe when the weather is colder and i can layer.