PDA

View Full Version : How does the M4's SOCOM barrel profile compare to the DD S2W profile?

Bryson
07-19-17, 18:58
Having trouble finding anything similar to the SOCOM profile with a midlength gas and NATO chamber. Don't want a "lightweight" profile, and DD's 16" S2W looks promising, but seems to be heavier (obviously it will be just because the gas port is farther out, but it looks thicker anyway). Can't find a weight on the SOCOM barrel. How similar are these two? Would the DD S2W be considered a mid-weight profile, or a heavy?

MistWolf
07-19-17, 19:42
With FSB, barrel nut & Delta ring, the 14.5" SOCOM barrel I have weighs 2 lbs 4.4 oz. I believe that's with the A2 birdcage

MQ105
07-19-17, 22:12
You can look up the weights as well as I, but I can comment on the DD 16" S2W. I would say it's not quite a heavy profile, but close. Mine is very accurate and worth every extra ounce to me. Match accurate with some loads. The Colt SOCOM barrels are darn good, too. Of course, the SOCOM is 1.5" shorter than the DD.

Bryson
07-19-17, 23:58
You can look up the weights as well as I, but I can comment on the DD 16" S2W. I would say it's not quite a heavy profile, but close. Mine is very accurate and worth every extra ounce to me. Match accurate with some loads. The Colt SOCOM barrels are darn good, too. Of course, the SOCOM is 1.5" shorter than the DD.

Do you know the gas port size of the 16" S2W? Is it over-gassed?

MQ105
07-20-17, 10:27
It is literally the only barrel I have that I did not document the port size on before I assembled the upper. I apologize I don't have that info. I run an A2 carbine buffer, a Tubbs AR15 carbine spring, and BCM BCG. Lake city M193, and IMI 77 OTM eject to 3 o'clock, and Wolf Gold about 3:30. I realize ejection isn't the tell-all for gas system pressure but it's the best I can do until I pull the barrel (which I don't plan to do soon.) I don't run a GB insert with this barrel, and that is rare for me, although I don't suppress it often either.

Iraqgunz
07-21-17, 05:25
SIONICS MEDCON barrel might be close. 16", 5.56 chamber 1/8 twist and pretty damn accurate.

pezboy
07-21-17, 11:22
The Colt 16" SOCOM barrel is .845" under the hand guards and weighs 2 lb 2 oz stripped. The only thing I could find like it but mid length with a quick search was this Del-Ton barrel https://www.del-ton.com/DTI_Del_Ton_Inc_AR_15_16_Mid_Length_1x7_CL_p/bl1071.htm