PDA

View Full Version : John McCain Malignant Brain Tumor?

Averageman
07-19-17, 20:15
http://tucson.com/news/local/sen-john-mccain-diagnosed-with-malignant-brain-tumor/article_e8277172-6cde-11e7-baba-3bd459ef9b97.html
U.S. Sen. John McCain revealed Wednesday evening that he has a brain tumor.

The announcement follows a procedure to remove a blood clot from above his left eye at the Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix last Friday, where a pathology report revealed the glioblastoma, a malignant brain tumor.

Treatment options may include a combination of chemotherapy and radiation.

A statement from McCain said that the senator’s doctors say he is recovering from his surgery, but it is unclear when the 80-year-old Republican would return to the Senate.

John, you've had a long life, it is time to hang it up Buddy.

scottryan
07-19-17, 20:38
What is power bottom lindsay graham going to do now?

Alex V
07-19-17, 20:49
I know it's a terrible thing to knock him at this point but hey at least maybe we can get a real republican in place of this fraud?

glocktogo
07-19-17, 21:09
I know it's a terrible thing to knock him at this point but hey at least maybe we can get a real republican in place of this fraud?

It is highly unlikely that the AZ brain trust which kept him in DC for three decades, will suddenly have a change of heart and elect an actual Republican. I'm sure they have someone else in mind that they'd prefer spend as little time as necessary in the Grand Canyon State. :(

That said, prayers sent for his family. The last thing in the world you ever want to hear from your Doc is "glioblastoma". I may not like his politics, but he served his country and no one deserves that.

Big A
07-19-17, 22:10
It is highly unlikely that the AZ brain trust which kept him in DC for three decades, will suddenly have a change of heart and elect an actual Republican. I'm sure they have someone else in mind that they'd prefer spend as little time as necessary in the Grand Canyon State. :(

That said, prayers sent for his family. The last thing in the world you ever want to hear from your Doc is "glioblastoma". I may not like his politics, but he served his country and no one deserves that.
If he retires since he won reelection recently the governor of AZ gets to appoint someone to his seat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ramairthree
07-20-17, 00:16
I have a huge amount of respect for the sacrifices the man made for this country a long time ago.

I have had a lot of disdain for the man for a lot of his actions in more recent times.

Would not have wished this on him though.

Although there might be a Supreme Court justice corpse with a pulse this might have been a mercy to.

SteyrAUG
07-20-17, 00:35
I have a huge amount of respect for the sacrifices the man made for this country a long time ago.

I have had a lot of disdain for the man for a lot of his actions in more recent times.

Although there might be a Supreme Court justice corpse with a pulse this might have been a mercy to.

Saved me some typing.

BuzzinSATX
07-20-17, 05:53

Agree 100%

chuckman
07-20-17, 07:43
It's the same tumor as what Kennedy had, which has a very poor outcome. There is a good chance (I figure 80%) he'll end up coming to our hospital at some point.

Don't care for the man's politics, but no one should have to go through this......

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-20-17, 07:49
They are blaming is performance in the Comey hearing on it. By that standard, they really need to check Pelosi and Maxine Waters. They have been off lately too.

I don't think McCain gives a crap what I think about him.

tb-av
07-20-17, 09:06
They are blaming is performance in the Comey hearing on it.

Friend of mine sent me an email one day. Said his doc gave him a clean bill of health. Two weeks later he sent me another said they reviewed some work and he had brain cancer. He didn't last very long after that. His short term memory went really fast. I suppose his long term as well. I would suspect McCain's behavior with Comey was related. I expect he's pretty far along if they are making it this widely known.

SHIVAN
07-20-17, 09:24
Definitely explains some things about his more recent mannerisms, actions, and speeches.

chuckman
07-20-17, 09:35
Friend of mine sent me an email one day. Said his doc gave him a clean bill of health. Two weeks later he sent me another said they reviewed some work and he had brain cancer. He didn't last very long after that. His short term memory went really fast.

My best friend, we went to college together and he was a cop in the city in which I was a paramedic, had same thing. Was fine, then wasn't, brain cancer, died two years ago after living with it for a couple years of progressively worsening memory and wearing diapers. I had to deliver his eulogy; one of the hardest things I have ever done.

Sam
07-20-17, 10:03
Please keep it clean gentlemen. There are other sites that promote that kind of talk, take it there.

_Stormin_
07-20-17, 19:53
Wouldn't wish this end on anyone. I had a client lose his wife to the same issue a year or so ago. Some people make it quite a while, but if they're going public with this it probably isn't going to go well.

Bubba FAL
07-20-17, 20:09
Sounds like the same cancer that took my Dad a couple of years ago. The end was mercifully quick for him.

drsal
07-20-17, 20:35
Approximately 70,000-80,000 people get diagnosed with this type of tumor every year, I don't see a lot of outpouring of sympathy for those other thousands of afflicted individuals, so i don't really feel any sympathy for when a 'celebrity' is affected. A bit harsh perhaps but I don't really care.

chuckman
07-21-17, 07:19
Approximately 70,000-80,000 people get diagnosed with this type of tumor every year, I don't see a lot of outpouring of sympathy for those other thousands of afflicted individuals, so i don't really feel any sympathy for when a 'celebrity' is affected. A bit harsh perhaps but I don't really care.

After watching my best friend go from normal, to wearing diapers, to not walking, to not talking, to death because of brain tumor/cancer, I have sympathy for anyone (and their families) going through this. You don't have to know someone personally to have compassion.

Averageman
07-25-17, 17:43
I'm trying to understand why he's still showing up at work?
Honestly, this effects his cognitive abilities and he's refusing to step aside and turn the office over to someone else?
Can't he be forced to the sidelines at this point? If your Mechanic had the very same diagnosis, would you want him working on the vehicle your kids go to school in?

Eurodriver
07-25-17, 17:48
Daniel Inouye crawled within 5 yards of 2 machine guns, throwing grenades and shooting the operators after having been shot himself and was then promptly blown up - and still refused to be medevac'ed until he got his men in secured defensive positions.

He then spent 40 years in the Senate trying to strip away our 2A rights. I can separate the two acts, and will do the same for John McCain.

I will be glad he is out of the Senate but I do not wish to see him die a painful death.

glocktogo
07-25-17, 17:58
Daniel Inouye crawled within 5 yards of 2 machine guns, throwing grenades and shooting the operators after having been shot himself and was then promptly blown up - and still refused to be medevac'ed until he got his men in secured defensive positions.

He then spent 40 years in the Senate trying to strip away our 2A rights. I can separate the two acts, and will do the same for John McCain.

I will be glad he is out of the Senate but I do not wish to see him die a painful death.

This.

tb-av
07-25-17, 17:59
Honestly, this effects his cognitive abilities and he's refusing to step aside and turn the office over to someone else?
Can't he be forced to the sidelines at this point? If your Mechanic had the very same diagnosis, would you want him working on the vehicle your kids go to school in?

I don't think you are going to have to worry about that much longer.

Averageman
07-25-17, 18:10
I don't wish him I'll health or even I'll will on a personal level. Politically we do not agree, but when it comes down to is he medically capable of decision making, if that's even a question, it's time to step down.
This is not the time in history for these antics.

yoni
07-25-17, 18:34
He did a good thing today, maybe the first good thing he did since he was a POW.

Tomorrow, he needs to do a great thing and resign.

tb-av
07-25-17, 18:44
This is not the time in history for these antics.

Current events would suggest otherwise. We are living in the time of grand antics. However he pretty much said today, he's going to be there a couple of days... I expect to say his goodbyes. Then he goes off to be treated. After which he said he would return to give the other Senators a hard time. I think that last part was more wishful thinking than jest.

Hmac
07-25-17, 18:56
I must have missed it....his tumor is affecting his cognition?

Vandal
07-25-17, 19:17
I must have missed it....his tumor is affecting his cognition?

Did you miss the Comey hearings??? I'm not trying to be an ass but just from his verbal and memory issues alone during those I would say yes, his cognitive abilities have been impacted.

Hmac
07-25-17, 21:07
Did you miss the Comey hearings??? I'm not trying to be an ass but just from his verbal and memory issues alone during those I would say yes, his cognitive abilities have been impacted.

I'm not sure that's related to his brain tumor.

glocktogo
07-25-17, 22:42
I'm not sure that's related to his brain tumor.

He's always been a bit off. Not Maxine Waters level off, but off nonetheless.

Singlestack Wonder
08-02-17, 08:52
Why didn't Senator McCain go to a VA hospital instead of the Mayo Clinic? :rolleyes:

ramairthree
08-02-17, 11:46
Why didn't Senator McCain go to a VA hospital instead of the Mayo Clinic? :rolleyes:

You know, if the VA could pay a competitive salary to actual medical professionals, could stop paying more than they should for incompetent management, did not have their hands tied when it came to hiring and keeping competent management, and could focus on actual service related injuries and conditions instead of having to handle a huge number of losers and scammers,
It could be a very nice medical system.

chuckman
08-02-17, 11:56
You know, if the VA could pay a competitive salary to actual medical professionals, could stop paying more than they should for incompetent management, did not have their hands tied when it came to hiring and keeping competent management, and could focus on actual service related injuries and conditions instead of having to handle a huge number of losers and scammers,
It could be a very nice medical system.

I do not know what VA pays docs, but nurses make a lot more at the VA across the street from the hospital in which I work. If I went over and applied today, I could start in 2 weeks making $5 more per hours. But yeah, the management and hiring issues are huge.

Averageman
08-02-17, 12:24
I have been told the Nurses are paid better an VA Nursing jobs are highly prized in my area.
I doubt that McCain would have a hard time paying for his medical care, but karma would say this might be a heck of an expensive time for his sweetheart medical package to get pulled out from under him.

Singlestack Wonder
08-02-17, 18:23
My point was that McCain has access to a golden, pay for anything 100% medical package while Vets get the least amount of care the government will provide. Yet McCain is one of the decision makers in Washington forcing Vets to use substandard care.

NYH1
08-02-17, 19:58
If I went over and applied today, I could start in 2 weeks making $5 more per hours.
Just out of curiosity, why don't you?

NYH1.

NYH1
08-02-17, 20:09
My point was that McCain has access to a golden, pay for anything 100% medical package while Vets get the least amount of care the government will provide. Yet McCain is one of the decision makers in Washington forcing Vets to use substandard care.
When asked on Fox News how to fix the problem with the VA, Marcus Luttrell (Lone Survivor) said make all fed. politicians and their families go to the VA "and get the same treatment veterans get" or pay for their our med. treatment....problem would be solved real quick. Makes sense to me.

NYH1.

26 Inf
08-02-17, 21:26

Congressional insurance:

Prior to the passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (also known as ACA, or Obamacare), members of Congress received the same healthcare insurance benefits as any other federal employee through the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program, or FEHBP.

During the mark-up of the ACA bill, however, lawmakers inserted a provision (Section 1312(d)(3)(D)) that requires members of Congress and designated congressional staff members to obtain their health insurance through ACA exchanges rather than continue to receive their healthcare coverage through the FEHBP.

As of 1 January 2014, Members of Congress (MOC) and Congressional staff purchase their insurance through the District of Columbia’s small business health options program (SHOP) exchange, also known as DC Health Link. Contrary to popular belief, Congressional members do not receive free health care. As it does for other federal employees who purchase their insurance through the FEHBP, the federal government provides a subsidy equivalent to 72 percent of the weighted average of all FEHBP premiums.

Therefore, MOC and staff pay approximately 28 percent of their annual healthcare premiums through pre-tax payroll deductions.

Although DC’s SHOP offers a total of 57 different ACA insurance plans at the bronze, silver, gold and platinum levels, the Office of Personnel Management has ruled that MOC and staff may only receive the employer contribution if they purchase insurance at the gold tier. If we look solely at the District of Columbia’s SHOP health plans and federal employer contributions, Members of Congress receive benefits very similar to those enjoyed by any employee of a large company.

The bottom line is this: Members of Congress and their staff members are required by law to purchase their health insurance through the exchanges offered by the Affordable Care Act. However, the federal government subsidizes approximately 72 percent of the premium cost.

Like those late-night Ginzu knife commercials on late-night TV, however: “but wait, there’s more!”

MOC and their staff are also eligible to set salary aside in Flex 125 savings plans, which help the employee pay for healthcare and childcare expenses with pre-tax dollars. If they enroll in high-deductible health plans (which is unlikely, since only the gold plans offer an employer contribution), they can also enroll in health savings accounts. If Members of Congress or staff purchase dental and vision or long-term care insurance, they pay 100 percent of their premiums through pre-tax dollars.

Again, these benefits are similar to those offered by many large employers. However, there are two areas where Members of Congress (not staff or family members) can receive free or low-cost health care that the average citizen cannot access. The first is having access to the Office of the Attending Physician. For an annual fee (unspecified), MOC can receive limited care for routine examinations, consultations, and certain diagnostic tests.

The second option is also only available to current Members of Congress. In the Capital region only, they may receive free medical outpatient care at military facilities. If they are outside of the Capital region or if they need inpatient care, then MOC must pay 100 percent of the full cost of that military health care.

Finally, upon separation from political life, Members of Congress may purchase FEHBP insurance if they are otherwise eligible for retirement and if they have had five years of continuous healthcare coverage under their DC SHOP plans.

If the Affordable Care Act is repealed, members of Congress have a fallback plan. They would be able to return to the FEHBP. Twenty million other Americans won’t.

When Senator Edward M. Kennedy, of Massachusetts, said that Americans should get “exactly what we have,” he meant the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program.

The F.E.H.B.P., as it’s known, was started in 1959, a few years before Medicare, and was meant to cover some nine million government employees—civil-service workers, the courts, the Post Office, members of Congress, and more. It wasn’t a single plan but, rather, as a Times story put it, “a supermarket offering 300 private health plans.” (Even the right-learning Heritage Foundation called it “a showcase of consumer choice and free-market competition.”)

One may get a sense of its scope and inclusiveness—its supermarket-ness—in the way that the Office of Personnel Management, which administers the program, explains it to federal employees. Much of the program—for instance, the idea that no one can be refused, or charged more, for a preëxisting condition, or that dependents under twenty-six are covered—will sound familiar to anyone conversant with the most attractive parts of the Affordable Care Act.

chuckman
08-03-17, 08:07

NYH1.

Good question. I am in grad school, which my current employer pays 100%, and I have to stay three years beyond finishing to prevent having to repay it. By that point I will have accrued enough time towards retirement and pension there would be no real incentive to leave. My employer has golden handcuffs.

Singlestack Wonder
08-03-17, 09:49
"Although DC’s SHOP offers a total of 57 different ACA insurance plans at the bronze, silver, gold and platinum levels, the Office of Personnel Management has ruled that MOC and staff may only receive the employer contribution if they purchase insurance at the gold tier."

Again, the politicians wrote the law so that they only get the employer contribution with the "golden tier plans" which I am guessing they all did.

Of course none of them are sweating the monthly high cost of their gold tier ACA plan with their salaries, lobbying contributions, insider trading, etc., unlike many of our many Vets out there.

Averageman
08-03-17, 09:57
Simply pull the rug out from underneath them. Take the money away and explain why in a speech.
Make sure the American Voter knows why it's being done and call the legislators back now to fix it.
There is no reason to not keep the pressure on them.

ramairthree
08-03-17, 13:21
Yes, the federal pay system is compressed.

A lot of lower positions are payed more, as are many middle type positions.

But look how much you can pay, say,
An orthopedic surgeon there vs the civilian system.

None of the vets go to the VA because they want to see a mediocre at best middle manager payed more than he could hope to make in the civilian system,
And they don't get their knee operated on by an RN that makes more per hour.

They key component of the system is not offered competitive salary.
They are them hamperd by horrible management.

Compound this with some loser that got drafted for two years in Germany that now wants the VA to pay for his fat ass diabetes, high blood pressure, heart failure, and sleep apnea,
The guy that did a year in name that 40 years later of two packs a day wants them to pay for his COPD and lung cancer,
And all the 20 somethings milking BS PTSD and back pain,

And you can see how the actual earned problems guys are screwed by the system.

I spent almost thirty years in the military.
The military health care system and the VA system can do better,

But before championing all the beneficiaries,
Keep in mind how many of them are screwing it over.
Hell, in the Army alone the number of active duty parents "adopting" bastard grandkids so they have benefits probably runs in the millions.

Their are probably ten thousand 40'something women with chronic migraines, fibromyalgia, depression, and a hysterectomy drawing 3k a month or whatever as 100% disabled veterans and then using that rating for another 2k or so a month of SSDI.

They guy who got his leg blown off exposing himself to enemy fire to get to a wounded buddy is competing for his care with the guy who got his leg cut off while drunk and doing 60mph on his motorcycle off the dock to land in the back of a motorboat pulling away without him, and with the skanky junkie who got his infected leg cut off after shooting full of drugs over and over.

It is a microcosm of the brokenness of our government and society as a whole.

We were founded as a republic so the majority could not decide, hey, we want free health care, food, and housing and you other guys can pay for it.
Between messing with state representative districts, the 17th amendment, etc. Have continued to weaken the concept and function of a republic and, just as predicted, the tyranny of the democracy marches on into socialism. Funded by a minority.

I had a handful of conscussions ranging from jumps, combatives, and outside the wire incidents.
Before retiring I was sent for TBI evaluation. Literally in the waiting room one enlistment guys getting out were discussing the stuff to say so they would get a rating.
None had even had an MRI or anything. Just based on symptoms they say. I had MRI evidence of multiple concussions, was truthful, was high functioning, and got zero percent. Now, if I turn into Mohammed ali at some point and go back they will up the rating percentage. They will get something now. it is crazy.

Big A
08-03-17, 13:28
I honestly don't understand why the VA isn't just an agency responsible for paying the bills when a Veteran goes to any civilian hospital they so choose. It should really be that simple.

Singlestack Wonder
08-03-17, 15:18
I honestly don't understand why the VA isn't just an agency responsible for paying the bills when a Veteran goes to any civilian hospital they so choose. It should really be that simple.

Great point! It would be less costly than supporting the current VA infrastructure.

ralph
08-03-17, 15:32

Ahh, but there you go thinking again, simply put, there's NO MONEY in actually solving problems. Fix the V.A. as you suggest would mean no money for studies, bonuses,(for doing your fu@#ing job) going to lavish conventions in Vegas, etc. Can't have that..

ETA;
If anyone wants to know what socialized medicine would look like here, in the U.S. one needs to look no further than the V.A.

yellowfin
08-03-17, 20:29

NYH1.VA's are bureaucratic HELL. My wife has worked for them her whole career and the ridiculous amount of micromanagement, paperwork, and political correctness in everything is absolutely beyond the pale. Every single liberal pet project, buzzword, and sacred cow must be bowed to on a daily to hourly basis-- diversity this and that, everything has to be LGBTwhatthef***everthey'recallingthemselveslately compatible, quota for this and that, ad infinitum. Seriously it's Berkeley on steroids. Oh, and also they nearly never fire anyone for anything so the worst of the worst seek them out as a safe space. For even volunteering there they require a blood test, loads of paperwork, online tests, etc.--this was just for me volunteering to take people fishing! I did it briefly while between jobs and then once I got back to work I told them no thanks, not ever again. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has any other acceptable options.

NYH1
08-04-17, 15:11
Good question. I am in grad school, which my current employer pays 100%, and I have to stay three years beyond finishing to prevent having to repay it. By that point I will have accrued enough time towards retirement and pension there would be no real incentive to leave. My employer has golden handcuffs.
Good reason.

NYH1.

NYH1
08-04-17, 15:29
VA's are bureaucratic HELL. My wife has worked for them her whole career and the ridiculous amount of micromanagement, paperwork, and political correctness in everything is absolutely beyond the pale. Every single liberal pet project, buzzword, and sacred cow must be bowed to on a daily to hourly basis-- diversity this and that, everything has to be LGBTwhatthef***everthey'recallingthemselveslately compatible, quota for this and that, ad infinitum. Seriously it's Berkeley on steroids. Oh, and also they nearly never fire anyone for anything so the worst of the worst seek them out as a safe space. For even volunteering there they require a blood test, loads of paperwork, online tests, etc.--this was just for me volunteering to take people fishing! I did it briefly while between jobs and then once I got back to work I told them no thanks, not ever again. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has any other acceptable options.
Well I asked chuckman this question. With that in mind, in todays work place where most people haven't had a "noticeable pay raise" in a long time. You'll be surprised how many people will put up with a lot crap for $5 more an hour. $200wk/$10K yr. plus fed bennies, nothing to sneeze at.

So here's the question to you, if it's so bad....why'd your wife put up with it her whole career? Just out of curiosity is all.

Oh yeah....ROLL TIDE! ;)

NYH1.

yellowfin
08-04-17, 20:19
So here's the question to you, if it's so bad....why'd your wife put up with it her whole career? Just out of curiosity is all.

Oh yeah....ROLL TIDE! ;)

NYH1.She puts up with it because it's something on the order of 30-50% higher pay for her specialty, guaranteed demand for it (geriatric psychology), gave her job placement while in school that's top level training and guaranteed her a job immediately, and paid a chunk of her student loans (still got a bunch though). No liability/malpractice insurance cost to pay out of pocket which would be massive otherwise. Also nationwide portability, got VA's everywhere--that was a BIG incentive because for her career path she needed something portable.

And now she's used to it and pretty much the only place she knows. Still it's a deal with the devil but I guess for the moment just living with it. She's by far the biggest achiever of her immediate family so I can't be anything but supportive of her for doing the best she could with what she knew.

NYH1
08-05-17, 11:46
She puts up with it because it's something on the order of 30-50% higher pay for her specialty, guaranteed demand for it (geriatric psychology), gave her job placement while in school that's top level training and guaranteed her a job immediately, and paid a chunk of her student loans (still got a bunch though). No liability/malpractice insurance cost to pay out of pocket which would be massive otherwise. Also nationwide portability, got VA's everywhere--that was a BIG incentive because for her career path she needed something portable.

And now she's used to it and pretty much the only place she knows. Still it's a deal with the devil but I guess for the moment just living with it. She's by far the biggest achiever of her immediate family so I can't be anything but supportive of her for doing the best she could with what she knew.
That's what I mean, if the compensation is worth the hassle people will deal with a lot of crap. In the medical field though, they seem to deal with it more then others because it's not just a job to them. They put their heart and soul into to helping people, at least most do. They're a different breed altogether.

Good for your wife and good for you for supporting her! ;)

NYH1.