PDA

View Full Version : Frozen free float barrel nut HELP???

spring1271
10-03-08, 18:04
I have a Knjghts free float barrel nut that will not budge. Any suggestions how to get it loosed?? Thanx!!!

Robb Jensen
10-03-08, 18:06
It sound silly but stick in the freezer for an hour and then try it. Many times this will make them easier to remove. This is a trick I do with XD slides to allow for easier removal of the stock/OEM sights. Something I learned from my two uncles who were master mechanics.

spring1271
10-03-08, 19:22
Wellll the freezer method didot work. Any other ideas???

SRG
10-03-08, 23:18
Well, I'm not an expert with the AR platform yet (got an LMT piston on order and can't wait to tear it down to the very last pin, just for the knowledge, you see) but I am a machinist. Here's what I would do. Find yourself some KROIL penetrant (or 3-in-1 or your favorite) and let it soak overnight. Then, get your nut wrench and try to TIGHTEN the nut a little, and then try to loosen it. This may be just enough to break it loose. I hope it wasn't cross-threaded on there.

spamsammich
10-03-08, 23:23
question for you gunsmiths, will PB Blaster hurt the finish of a rifle? I don't imagine it would hurt that type of anodized finish or parkerizing, but I've never tried.

spring1271
10-05-08, 20:33
It took an overnite soak in liquid wrench and alot of heat !!! But its off!!! Thanks to all!!!