PDA

View Full Version : Need boot and pant recommendation.

Lee Indy
07-21-17, 11:59
I'm looking for recommendations on boots and pants for duty use. I really like the LAPG ATLAS and Urban Recon pants but if there is a better ome for the 29$ range I'd take a look

I need boots though. I have no black boots and I'm lookimg for a good fairly inexpensive mid to high top recommendation. We have to provide all our own gear amd ive kind of blown my gun budget buying armor and other parts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
07-21-17, 17:06
Not LE, but I wore the hell out of these:

http://workboots.com/reebok-8-rapid-response-rb-ct-sz-black~1?hp=y&pa=38559872785613341&gclid=CjwKCAjwzMbLBRBzEiwAfFz4gcuc_D0hUL4KPzEcjsdfRZWc9hIAN1Tyte6P-050quFkKvfnE1HBmRoCf5UQAvD_BwE#/15650/435,653,5129/1&dl=b

Mine are from 2009 and they are rode hard and hung up wet. They're greyish brown now and have ungodly miles on them.

As far as boots go, they're sneaker-level cozy.

BuzzinSATX
07-21-17, 17:21
I'm looking for recommendations on boots and pants for duty use. I really like the LAPG ATLAS and Urban Recon pants but if there is a better ome for the 29$ range I'd take a look

I need boots though. I have no black boots and I'm lookimg for a good fairly inexpensive mid to high top recommendation. We have to provide all our own gear amd ive kind of blown my gun budget buying armor and other parts.

If you really like the LAPG pants, I'd stick with them. I personally wear the TruSpec 24-7 Classics almost every day where I work:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/truspec-classicpant-247.html

Our dress code is business casual, and while khaki's are okay, cargo pants not so much. I generally buy them from LAPG.com when on a really good sale. I have 6 pairs (3 tan 3 navy) that I rotate and have lasted over 2 years thus far, machine washing-perm press dryer cycle, take out hot and hang up...no ironing.

Boots, I am partial to Belleville, as that's the boot I wore for the last 15 years of my military career. Just a solid boot that lasts a long time through hard use. I'd replace the liners every 6 months with good inserts and the boots lasted 3 years easy...

These are what I wear...they also come in black:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/be300desstho.html

If you don't want a safety toe boot, you can always get the 390's, but if you are a LEO, I'd personally go with the safety toe.

Good luck...

GFX_9
07-22-17, 02:05
Footwear is not a place to skimp, nor are socks.

VARIABLE9
07-22-17, 07:41
Footwear is not a place to skimp, nor are socks.

Absolutely true. You can not wear your white cotton athletic socks you bought in a six pack at WalMart. Get to REI or Cabela's and get some Smartwool's or similar.

For boots I would suggest Danner (http://www.danner.com/men/law-enforcement/?sortId=product-family).

Mr. Goodtimes
07-22-17, 08:52
For boots, Lowa has been the best I've ever owned. For uniform duty pants, I'd be looking at Crye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E_Johnson
07-22-17, 10:24
Absolutely true. You can not wear your white cotton athletic socks you bought in a six pack at WalMart. Get to REI or Cabela's and get some Smartwool's or similar.

Second the quality sock recommendation. Not sure what the climate is like where you're at, if its cooler then merino wool from darn tough or smartwool. If it's warmer where you are then wrightsock dual layer socks have been a successful choice for me.

Chubbs103
07-22-17, 10:43
For boots I would suggest Danner (http://www.danner.com/men/law-enforcement/?sortId=product-family).

VARIABLE9 beat me to it. I have what is now called the Acadia. Danner can rebuild them if and when you ever wear them out. They now have a lighter weight recraftable boot called the Stalwart. They are about $100 cheaper as well, but I have no personal experience with them. The Rivot TFX are lighter and very comfortable, but cannot be re-soled. I have not owned a pair of the Rivots, so I cannot speak for how long they last.

Chubbs

gunnerblue
07-22-17, 12:08
We wear Vertx pants and shirts for almost 100% rural LE work. Personally, I am very impressed with the comfort and durability. I agree that socks that boots are not the places to skimp, and so wear Smartwool or similar type socks and Lowa boots. I've had good experiences with Meindl, as well, while some of my of my coworkers like Hanwei and Kennetrek.

Lee Indy
07-22-17, 16:40
I do a lot of hiking and good socks are a life saver there. Lowa boots are expensive. The Bellevilles are out. Wore them for 12 years in the military and they are terrible.

Is there a good boot with a street price of about 100?

Gotta love small towns with no budget.

BuzzinSATX
07-22-17, 17:30
....The Bellevilles are out. Wore them for 12 years in the military and they are terrible.

You asked for recommendations, and I provided one. I have no objection to your replying with "I wore them in the military and didn't like them....", but saying some blanket statement that they are "terrible" was kinda an insult.

I recommended what I have worn for many years. They last a long time, and with good inserts, are cool and comfortable for me and a LOT of folks I know still in uniform today.

But I concede that the factory inserts should be replaced.

Good luck with your new job.

gunnerblue
07-22-17, 17:58
Maybe one of the cheaper Merrell models depending on your terrain. They're too lightweight for me

Achilles11B
07-22-17, 20:54
I'm a big fan of the Adidas GSG line of boots. They're comfortable, durable, and aren't too flashy-looking.

Zim
07-23-17, 00:05

No. Lowa's Zephyr and Z8S models are fantastic. Salomon's XA Pro 3d Mid, Quest 4d, and Jungle Ultras are all great. It's worth it to figure out what works for your feet. Healthy feet, ankles, knees, hips, and lower back are worth whatever the cost.

Titan74
07-23-17, 02:58

Yes, but only if you are ok with minor imperfections:
https://www.haixusa.com/factory-seconds/

I have several pairs of Haix boots and they have proven to be fantastic - just as good as Lowa and Meindl, and Haix lasts longer in use. Two of my pairs are factory seconds and it is next to impossible to tell them apart from the others. From the current selection of factory seconds the Airpower P7 would probably be ideal, or Black Eagle Mid if you prefer more sneaker-type shoe with a safety toe.

Chimera
07-23-17, 12:37
I like the Salomon Quest 4Ds personally. I go for the Goretex over the tactical ones as well.

RobertTheTexan
07-23-17, 14:23
Salomon.

Salomon Speed Assault

They aren't what most call cheap, but all of the Salomon boots I own have proved to be worth every cent. These can be had in sale for around $120 occasionally, currently $140 at tacticalgear.com. As others have said you shouldn't be looking to go cheap on your footgear. I wear these a lot both in work and I have a pair I use hiking and training at a private range. They are the lightest mid-shoe I've owned and so far are holding up well. The tread pattern is aggressive and has a killer grip on hard surface and in the dirt. They dry quicker than my flip flops when wet and they breath like a tennis shoe. They come in black but do not come with a steel toe. I promised my dawgs when I got out of the Army I was going to treat em' right and my dawgs LOVE these boots. Even out in the Central Texas 100+ heat on the range running drills my feet didn't overheat.(the rest of me was dying but my dawgs were GTG.)
http://tacticalgear.com/salomon-speed-assault-black-black-magnet?hp=y&pa=38537882553058101&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt7PkgIyg1QIVBoGzCh2bGgHSEAQYASABEgJGjfD_BwE#/26299/5129,5141,18300/1&dl=b

I don't think you'll best the price on the LAPG for your pants. But a pair of pants I found for $39 are 5.11 Fast-Tac cargo. Sound like a broken record, but these are the lightest pants I've owned. They aren't perfect but they are close. They make a pair without cargo pockets and I use those for work in a business environment.

omegajb
07-23-17, 16:43
Reebok has a closeout on their boots, I had a pair and they were like sneakers.
https://www.botach.com/reebok-closeout/?search_query&page=1&limit=36&sort=priceasc&category=7669&is_category_page=1

Lee Indy
07-23-17, 17:11
Reebok has a closeout on their boots, I had a pair and they were like sneakers.
https://www.botach.com/reebok-closeout/?search_query&page=1&limit=36&sort=priceasc&category=7669&is_category_page=1Out of stock in my size. Owell

firefighter37
07-23-17, 17:18
Yes, but only if you are ok with minor imperfections:
https://www.haixusa.com/factory-seconds/

I have several pairs of Haix boots and they have proven to be fantastic - just as good as Lowa and Meindl, and Haix lasts longer in use. Two of my pairs are factory seconds and it is next to impossible to tell them apart from the others. From the current selection of factory seconds the Airpower P7 would probably be ideal, or Black Eagle Mid if you prefer more sneaker-type shoe with a safety toe.

This was going to be my suggestion. I am in a different field than you, but I wear the Haix Airpower XR2, and while I feel they look stupid, they are very comfortable, and are easy to get on and off. They are out of the $100 price range though.

I have a few sets of Haix boots, and have been happy with all of them. My turnout boots are Haix also.

naverno
07-23-17, 21:06
Look at Salomon's pro program. That should put some of their duty footwear in your ballpark. Vertx also has good pro pricing through Experticity.

Lee Indy
07-24-17, 10:22
I was looking and it seems we get a great deal on belleville I wore the 800ST for along time and they always ended up eating my ankle. is there a model from the tactical series that everyone likes?

Lee Indy
07-24-17, 11:49
I can get the QRF and the TR chrome series reasonably priced. The TRchrome line is about 20$ cheaper than the QRF and has an optional composite toe.
Anyone have opinions on these two lines?

LMT Shooter
07-24-17, 21:53

+1 big time.

I've been wearing Danner/Smartwool combos for work, hunting, and casual wear for years, and consider it money well spent.

secondstoryguy
07-25-17, 07:08
Lowa Zephyrs or Saloman XA Pro mid or Quest. I prefer the Zephyrs as an all around patrol and everyday boot as they are just heavy enough to kick a door but light enough to run in(I've gone on numerous 3-4 mile boot runs in them with no complaints).

Lee Indy
07-28-17, 18:48
Okay guys thanks for all the help.
I eneded up with a pair of 5.11 boots my dad had issued to him when he worked for the DOC and never wore.
And my day job is military supply chain. Turns out Im a dealer for belleville and they offered to send me a pair of their new QRF 9in side zips. Apparently we sell about 100k worth of their boots annually. I dont typically handle uniform items so I wasnt aware.
So I talked to their marketing manager and explained the problem I had and he wasnt surprised. The model I had issued to me has been redesigned because of similar problems being reported.

He assures me this model will be alot better. Looking forward to running them thru the paces.

The 5.11s need some help tho.
They need better insoles. Is there a set you like for all day on your feet?

A couple of you guys mentioned socks. I have a few pair I really like for hunting season but thats snow on the ground and Im not sure I would like them in the 90 degree summers.

Is there a good intermediate temp and hot temp sock you prefer?

Turnkey11
07-28-17, 19:37
Anyone tried Dickies tactical line of pants? I have pairs of their standard double knee pants with the small pocket on the right thigh that are nearly a decade old, still haven't worn any holes, no fraying around the cuff, etc. If the tactical ripstop trousers are as durable I'd buy a dozen of them.

http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing/mens-tactical/

gunnerblue
07-28-17, 21:17
Okay guys thanks for all the help.
I eneded up with a pair of 5.11 boots my dad had issued to him when he worked for the DOC and never wore.
And my day job is military supply chain. Turns out Im a dealer for belleville and they offered to send me a pair of their new QRF 9in side zips. Apparently we sell about 100k worth of their boots annually. I dont typically handle uniform items so I wasnt aware.
So I talked to their marketing manager and explained the problem I had and he wasnt surprised. The model I had issued to me has been redesigned because of similar problems being reported.

He assures me this model will be alot better. Looking forward to running them thru the paces.

The 5.11s need some help tho.
They need better insoles. Is there a set you like for all day on your feet?

A couple of you guys mentioned socks. I have a few pair I really like for hunting season but thats snow on the ground and Im not sure I would like them in the 90 degree summers.

Is there a good intermediate temp and hot temp sock you prefer?

Smartwool Hike socks. Mid weight for really hot weather (I wear mine in 90+ degrees) otherwise, the heavier weight is fine. The wool used is merino, so doesn't heat up and breathes well.

LMT Shooter
07-29-17, 00:59
Smartdwool has a big line, you will be able to find something for all seasons. They are well worth the money you will pay.

henrikventzel
03-03-18, 06:53
Dont compromise on boots.
If you spend a bit more and make sure they have stitchdown like Danner - then you can just change the soles and thereby add several years to their lifetime.
So Danner is great - else Bates, 5.11 or Smith & Wesson.

officerX
03-03-18, 08:50
Another vote for Danner!

czgunner
03-03-18, 10:24
I tried to like the Danner boots, and they are fantastic quality, but I needed a wider toe box area.

LMT Shooter
03-03-18, 15:39
I bought 5 pairs of Danners on Cyber Monday last year, and they do 10% discount for LE/military /gov't employee folk year round.