PDA

View Full Version : Movies that gave you PTSD as a kid :)

WillBrink
07-24-17, 10:35
What movies did you see at an age that was probably not age appropriate that scared the hell out of you?

Me,The Exorcist. That and jaws. Saw that in the theater as back in the day no one really gave a chit about the age of kids getting tickets. I come from a long line of sailors, good swimmer, on boats within a week of being born, yada yada, and I couldn't swim in the ocean for years after seeing that movie. Even the Exorcist, as much as I was too young to be seeing such a movie, was not "real" as Jaws was. A lame movie that scarred me as kid was Omega Man.

Is a B LOL movie to see now, but it freaked me out for some reason. My mother would give me a few $ on a Saturday to get rid of me for a few hours to see a movie at the local theater and didn't care/ask what we were actually seeing.

Some of them did stick with me and if I had kids, would pay attention to if they were age appropriate.

JC5188
07-24-17, 10:53
Piranha...don't remember much about it actually, just that it f'd me up. I think I was a second grader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc Safari
07-24-17, 10:55
1. The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing

It was a Burt Reynolds western. My mom was a diehard Reynolds fan. A guy pretty much gets beaten to death in the movie but it takes several scenes for him to die. I was horrified that you could actually kill someone in a fist fight.

2. The Battle of Britain (I think)

I don't remember too much about the movie, but a guy inside a plane gets stitched by a machine gun. That horrified me.

3. The Green Berets

A guy gets stabbed, and toward the end one of the main characters dies on a wall of spikes. Horrifying.

4. Catch 22

I didn't actually get to see this movie until years later, but my mom always used to describe the scene where the guy's insides fall out. I didn't know war could inflict those kinds of wounds. Her description alone kept me wondering about stuff like that for years. Of course now I can sit through far worse than that, but when you're a little kid...

5. Frankenstein: The True Story

This was either a TV movie or miniseries. I remember a severed arm crawling across the floor by itself and the protagonist had to pour acid on in it to kill it. Another character's hands were almost skeletal from an acid accident. That show scared me from having anything to do with chemicals.

Dienekes
07-24-17, 11:10
Disney's "Wind in the Willows". Mr. Toad's wild ride in the locomotive scared the bejeezus out of me. My father had to haul me out of there. I was about four at the time.

I still freak out when I see a frog.

I assume that a young Chuck Norris would have taken it in stride.

jmp45
07-24-17, 11:14
"From Hell It Came" caused me to look at trees a whole different way. Ghoulardi IIRC had a Saturday afternoon show for us kids.

Inkslinger
07-24-17, 11:17
"Poltergeist". It was one of the first movies we watched when we got a VCR. What got me was the scene with the approaching storm. Coincidentally a bad storm was rolling toward our house at the same time. As the scene got more intense so did the storm over my house. Then, everything went black as our power went out. Guess who slept on his parents floor?

Alex V
07-24-17, 11:21
The Blob. Channel 11 in NY used to run old horror movies every night in October. Our of all the stupid horror movies they showed, this one scared the crap out of me. I was afraid to get into the bathtub for days after seeing it.

Phantasm. It was one of the first American movies I have ever seen. One of my parents' friends had a VCR and had this movie on VHS in the late 80's. I was really young and it scared the poo out of me.

BrigandTwoFour
07-24-17, 11:40
"Fire in the Sky"

Couldn't watch anything involving aliens for almost 10 years.

BMWguy206
07-24-17, 11:44
Aliens
Piranha
Nightmare on Elm Street
Jaws

Singlestack Wonder
07-24-17, 11:45
Bonnie and Clyde's death scene from the 1967 movie at 12 years old.

soulezoo
07-24-17, 11:49
Jaws. Nothing else ever really bothered me. And I saw everything.
It wasn't ever safe for me to get in the water until I was in my 30's. It doesn't help that the main beaches I would visit are in the "Red Triangle". (Google is your friend)

TexHill
07-24-17, 12:19
Hellraiser

elephant
07-24-17, 12:37
I cant think of any movies that I saw as a kid that scared me- maybe Jurassic Park- that was probably the most scary movie I saw, I was about 10-12 years old.

But on the other hand. There was a TV show that caused anxiety, fear, panic and overall discomfort that lasted a few hours and that was Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack. The theme song, along with the sound of Roberts voice still gives chills. Especially the paranormal activity episodes and unexplained events. Robert Stack could read the ingredients and nutritional facts for Kellogg's frosted flakes and give people nightmares. I watched that show every Friday night during the summers when I was a kid.

Watch at your own risk!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5h2x3G40to

Robert stack was also a strange man, he had friends in the CIA, FBI was claims he watched his fathers friend, a esoteric, levitate and cause inanimate objects to take on a life form of there own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5h2x3G40to

Alex V
07-24-17, 12:49
"Fire in the Sky"

YES!!!! How did I forget this one. I refuse to camping by a lake ever since that movie.

Kenneth
07-24-17, 13:25
People under the stairs.

I believe I was like 6-7 and watched it when I wasn't supposed to. We only had 4 stair in our house and I was afraid to death if them after that. I don't even know if that movie was scary but having kids live in the walls scared the hell out of me.

Hellraiser

Was with pinhead correct? If so he scared the crap out of me too.

WillBrink
07-24-17, 13:29
YES!!!! How did I forget this one. I refuse to camping by a lake ever since that movie.

Me, made me wanna camp by a lake more so they'll come get me. "Beam me up, no intelligent life to be found"

Bluto
07-24-17, 13:31
Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone
My dad took me to see it when I was 6. Only movie I ever walked out of. Scared the crap out of me.

Serpent and the Rainbow
Living in South Florida at the time, with a sizable Haitian population, "zombie" stories like this were actually on the news.

I think today's generation is way more desensitized. My son, at 8 years old, asked to watch Night of the Living Dead (original 1968 version). We watched it together and rather than being scared, he loved it and is now a huge horror fan. That was 4 years ago. I think the only thing that truly scares him now is the Kardashians...

Doc Safari
07-24-17, 13:32
I forgot one:

Barbarella

The flesh-eating dolls literally gave me nightmares. (Must have suppressed the memory temporarily). :jester:

SteyrAUG
07-24-17, 13:45
I was 13 when I saw The Exorcist at the Midnight Movie with my gf. Pretending it wasn't scarring the crap out of me but I had to walk home from her house at like 3am and I was pretty much at Defcon 1 by the time I got home.

In the early days of cable I saw the original Texas Chainsaw and that messed me up. I knew there were bad people, but I never really contemplated homicidally, insane, broken people.

Saw Jaws when I was 9 and like everyone else it scarred me. Even in the swimming pool I would do practice sprints pretending I had just seen a shark. But by 14 I was swimming in the shark pit at Seacamp.

ABNAK
07-24-17, 13:52
The original "Salem's Lot", specifically the part where the dead kid is floating outside the French doors and scratching at the glass to be let in, and the dumb f**k let him in! I remember screaming at the TV "No you idiot!"

26 Inf
07-24-17, 14:07
My youngest son was 3 or 4 when the family went to see 'To Fly' on the IMAX screen at the Cosmosphere. At the beginning of the film it is a sky shot and all of a sudden a steam engine busts into the scene with the accompanying noise. In the 360 degree theatre it looked like it was coming to your lap. I was holding my son and it scared the living shit out of him. I had to take him out of the theatre.

A couple year later I took him to see Red Dawn, about 15 minutes in I realized it probably wasn't suitable for a kid his age.

He didn't seem any the worse for it though, he's coming up for parole again next year. (JK LOL).

Rosemary's Baby was one that freaked me out.

Co-gnARR
07-24-17, 14:10
"Jaws" was always playing on TV when we went to the beach in the summer. It took a LOT to get me in the water for the first day or two.
"Predator" came out around the time I went to summer camp. What made it really bad was there is some kind of fungus in western PA that glows at night. The older guys would prank us on night hikes, usually by one the them leaving the group to take a leak. He would be gone for a bit, then scream and thrash around in the woods. Then...slience. Eventually we would look for him. Some one would comment on how the missing guy must have stabbed the predator and point to the glowing fungus. The effect was enough to keep us on edge all week.

chuckman
07-24-17, 14:41
Remember the sound those alien tripod-things made in War of the Worlds? (not the original, the Tom Cruise remake).

Good clip, but that sound is at 2:31.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ8kTwoTu8o

Our local garbage trucks make a similar noise. For a month after I saw that movie I would hear that sound twice a week at 5 am, I'd sit bolt upright in bed. I laugh about it now; at the time, not so much.

nimdabew
07-24-17, 15:13
Event Horizon. Hated that movie and the dude cut up in "engine room". This is coming from a kid that had a personal pirated copy of The Terminator at 4.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-24-17, 15:25
I was 5 and my grandparents made me watch "Wizard of Oz", alone, in the basement, in the dark.

Pilot1
07-24-17, 15:35
Movies, or TV never seemed to bother me as a kid. I guess I could separate it from reality, even at a young age. However, the creepiest movies were those original horror movies from the 30's with Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney. You know, The Mummy, Frankenstein, Dracula, and the Wolfman. It may have been just that they were so old that was so creepy.

Buckaroo
07-24-17, 15:37
I was 5 and my grandparents made me watch "Wizard of Oz", alone, in the basement, in the dark.Yep, never have liked that movie. Refuse to this day to make my kids watch. Flying monkeys be damned!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

glocktogo
07-24-17, 15:55
The Blob. Channel 11 in NY used to run old horror movies every night in October. Our of all the stupid horror movies they showed, this one scared the crap out of me. I was afraid to get into the bathtub for days after seeing it.

Phantasm. It was one of the first American movies I have ever seen. One of my parents' friends had a VCR and had this movie on VHS in the late 80's. I was really young and it scared the poo out of me.

This one was it for me.

That and The Legend of Boggy Creek. Our house was an old creaky farmhouse next to the woods and made a lot of noises at night. That movie made it tough to sleep at night!

Another movie that I saw when it came out that I left the theater disturbed by was Se7en. I was in my mid 20's when I saw it and I've never seen it again. It might not bother me as much today with all I've seen since, but I remember thinking how the hell could someone even think that shit up? :(

sl4mdaddy
07-24-17, 16:23

Awesome flick!

The flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz freaked me out when I was a kid but the movie as a whole was cool.

Jaws - when I go in the ocean, there is ALWAYS someone a little further out than I am. Mother, daughter, brother, friend....y'all are bait...

Grizzly - saw it one night at Springfield Mall and a good part of the way home was that road that parallels 95 ( Loisdale? I can't remember) heading back through Newington and back to the Mt. Vernon/Woodlawn area. This was mid-70's...
Dark as poop and nothing but tall trees everywhere and I was a little 'unsettled' for that portion of the trip.

MistWolf
07-24-17, 16:45
The Godfather. It terrified me that there are people living who could live like that. That movie is one reason I could never see any glamour in a life of crime.

A movie that for decades would give me goosebumps whenever I watched it was the original The Haunting. I think part of the reason why is because my Dad, wide-eyed, always talked about how much it spooked him long before I ever got to see it. If it spooked Dad, it HAD to be spooky! But it never kept me from exploring old spooky houses.

When I was little, Donald Duck terrified me with his temper tantrums. For many years, I'd flee the room or change the channel when any of his cartoons came on.

As a kid I found most slasher horror movies a little ridiculous. I'd find myself thinking "Dad's a Marine. He would have shot him dead by now."

Honu
07-24-17, 16:56
deliverance cause I know people like that exist :)

THCDDM4
07-24-17, 17:00
Watched A Nightmare On Elm St. when I was 4 and watched A Clock Work Orange when I was 5.

Clock work orange definitely messed with my head big time. Freddy frequented my nightmares.

hotrodder636
07-24-17, 17:01
I can't believe I have seen 'It' on this list yet (Stephen King's 'It').

Crazy-scary-ass clowns.

murphman
07-24-17, 17:15
"Fire in the Sky"

I second this, Fire in the Sky f'd me up man lol.

SteyrAUG
07-24-17, 18:02
I can't believe I have seen 'It' on this list yet (Stephen King's 'It').

Crazy-scary-ass clowns.

Thank God I was an adult when that came out, still more than a little creepy. If I was a kid it would have been all over. The original Salems Lot would have also gotten me if I wasn't on a steady diet of Creature Feature films from the age of about 8.

To this day the original Universal horror films of the 1930s are among my favorites.

militarymoron
07-24-17, 18:55
Some I remember that gave me the willies...
Nosferatu
Amityville Horror
The Exorcist
Jaws (the one scene where Hooper gets surprised by that dead guy's head popping out of the hole in his boat at night underwater)
Bonnie and Clyde death scene - I was horrified at Faye Dunaway flopping and jerking as she got shot
Poltergeist
The Shining
The Thing

BuzzinSATX
07-24-17, 18:55
I was 5 and my grandparents made me watch "Wizard of Oz", alone, in the basement, in the dark.

I was wondering if someone would mention this. Those freaking monkeys scared the crap out of me when I was 4-5! Hated that movie!

Bulletdog
07-24-17, 19:02
Jaws wrecked me. Seriously. For decades. I have forbid my daughter ever watching it. EVER……

Carrie and Firestarter gave me ideas. Lots of ideas...

Inkslinger
07-24-17, 19:19
To this day the original Universal horror films of the 1930s are among my favorites.
You and me both brother!

joe138
07-24-17, 19:28
Deliverance and Night of the Hunter.

hotrodder636
07-24-17, 20:38
Yeah, I was the same way at that age too.

I was wondering if someone would mention this. Those freaking monkeys scared the crap out of me when I was 4-5! Hated that movie!

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-24-17, 21:19

That movie scared the crap out of me. People can just come paddling through our neighborhood with bows and arrows and shoot you for being friendly.

Yeah, I was the same way at that age too.

We almost have enough people for a support group. Screw zombie targets, we need flying monkey targets.

MistWolf
07-24-17, 21:39

I love them too and I blame it on my father. Dad loved them. I think they gave him the willies.

I love monster movies. Growing up, there was a local station that played monster movies every Saturday morning and Dad would get us up to watch them with him

Korgs130
07-24-17, 21:58
The Brain That Wouldn't Die. When I was 5 years old, my babysitter let me stay up to watch that film on "The Late Movie" one Saturday night. I have vivid memories of how out of my mind scared I was to go to bed after that.

El Vaquero
07-24-17, 22:28
The Exorcist (I'm Catholic)
The Shining
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

More than movies was the TV show; In Search Of (specifically episodes on aliens, and Bigfoot (lol). The theme music alone is creepy weird.

soulezoo
07-24-17, 23:57
That movie scared the crap out of me. People can just come paddling through our neighborhood with bows and arrows and shoot you for being friendly.

We almost have enough people for a support group. Screw zombie targets, we need flying monkey targets.
That's called trap and skeet. Use your imagination

Honu
07-25-17, 00:35

hahahahahah YUP :) I freaking hate city folk especially when they come out where they do not belong ;) hahahah

we used to get em all the time we called em tourist though :)

if its tourist season how come we cant shoot em :)

officerX
07-25-17, 11:52
At <10 y.o. I saw one of the Friday the 13th movies and it f'ed me up good. I had gone to a week of summer camp for a couple of years in a row so it really hit home. I think I'm finally over it.

1_click_off
07-25-17, 18:17
Maximum Overdrive

Children of the Corn

sl4mdaddy
07-25-17, 18:18
Maximum Overdrive

Awesome soundtrack.

1_click_off
07-25-17, 18:19
Awesome soundtrack.

Got it.

There was another movie with mechanical spiders and I think Tom Selleck in it. He was a cop.

edit: Runaway. Think it was Gene Simmons that made it most memorable. Cynthia Rhodes wasn't hard to look at.

skywalkrNCSU
07-25-17, 18:33

Back in the day when I started to go to the gym with my dad he taught me how to do bent over dumbbell fly's but he called them "Ned's" instead

Honu
07-25-17, 19:14
Back in the day when I started to go to the gym with my dad he taught me how to do bent over dumbbell fly's but he called them "Ned's" instead

instead of breathing ya do squeeling

gunrunner505
07-25-17, 19:17
Pet Sematary

I don't remember how old I was when I watched it but the scene where the kid is under the bed and sliced Herman Munsters Achilles' tendon. To this day I will not sleep with my feet uncovered. Don't ask me why that correlates it just does.

Not a big fan of horror movies.

They are making Stephen Kings "IT", again.

Averageman
07-25-17, 20:20
Psycho.
The shower scene, the lies to protect himself, killing the Detective.
But the Beef jerky like "Mom" in the wheel chair. That right there put a damn cap on it.
I might have been six.

flenna
07-25-17, 20:45
This one was it for me.

That and The Legend of Boggy Creek. Our house was an old creaky farmhouse next to the woods and made a lot of noises at night. :(

Funny, when I read the title of this post this was the first movie I thought of. After watching this movie it made sitting on the toilet as a little kid a scary event- I would just sit and stare at the bathroom window.

Buckaroo
07-25-17, 20:57
Pet Sematary

I don't remember how old I was when I watched it but the scene where the kid is under the bed and sliced Herman Munsters Achilles' tendon. To this day I will not sleep with my feet uncovered. Don't ask me why that correlates it just does.

Not a big fan of horror movies.

They are making Stephen Kings "IT", again.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkTried to read Pet Cemetery while living alone in a cabin in the woods one summer while I was a camp counselor. NOPE!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JoshNC
07-25-17, 22:14
Exorcist. I watched it at my best friend's house. I couldn't sleep well for weeks.

Singlestack Wonder
07-26-17, 10:58
Exorcist. I watched it at my best friend's house. I couldn't sleep well for weeks.

When I was 17 my friend and I went to see Blazing Saddles. It was sold out so we decided to see another movie. It was the Exorcist and we had no knowledge of what it was about. Yeah.....that one stuck with me for awhile....

usmcvet
07-27-17, 14:10
There are several but the Exorcist still scares the $hit out of me today! I slept wearing my Rosary Beads for at least a month after that one. I was way too young. The Friday the 13th and Halloween movies and were pretty scary too but I liked them. They are pretty lame by today's standards.

Big A
07-27-17, 15:01
"Jaws" was always playing on TV when we went to the beach in the summer. It took a LOT to get me in the water for the first day or two.
"Predator" came out around the time I went to summer camp.

Holy shit Jaws ruined me of going to the beach and swimming in the ocean. The first time I saw it I was on summer vacation and we were staying in my Aunt's condo just south of St. Augustine (Crescent beach) I think I was 12 or 13. It also didn't help that when I was younger my parents used to shark fish those very same beaches so I knew what was in the water with me if I went in. Add to that the news would always fly the chopper over the beach and film the sharks migrating up the coast. Nope...just Nope.

I loved Predator, didn't scare me at all. Now Aliens on the other hand.......**** Xenomorphs. I just hate those movies. Probably because they delivered more suspense with the horror than Predator does.

I remember Die Hard was the first R rated movie my parents let me see and the scene where Hans kills Mr. Nakatomi and his brains end up on the glass door of the conference room really stuck with me as a kid. Not so much scary as it was shocking to 8 year old me.

But yeah, I don't do Paranormal type movies. I love suspense movies where the monster is human (Se7en) but horror with ghosts or haunted houses etc, ....I'll pass.

Straight Shooter
07-27-17, 21:02
Two that got me was my first R flick-The Town That Dreaded Sundown. Saw it in theater with older brother, man it scared me cause it was "based on a true story". Never did catch the dude, either.
Next one I was in 4th grade I think, saw it with a buddy of mine who literally ran out of the theater! Its Alive! Man eating babies...messed with me big time. Ive seen Town a couple years ago- MAN O MAN did it suck! Corny as hell, but as a country kid in the 70's, it was scary for that time.

SilverBullet432
07-27-17, 22:47
• Labyrinth
• All Chuckie movies
• It

Moose-Knuckle
07-28-17, 04:04
Yeap, Jaws.

To this day anytime I'm in the ocean I hear that horrid musical score and look over my shoulder. Deep Blue Sea did not help me any either.

As for childhood films, the pedo Child Catcher always freaked me out and to this day I'd throat punch and dick stomp him if I saw him about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUnhfvGdmmw

Inkslinger
07-28-17, 05:53
"The Day After" was another one that kept me up at night.

Averageman
07-28-17, 06:44
"The Day After" was another one that kept me up at night.

I was a teenager when that came out, so its effect was minimal.
As a kid my Dad revamped satellite communications equipment all over CONUS. We had a brief conversation about the realities of nuclear war one day after a base alert when the bombers rolled out to the end of the runway and turned back.
No Movie could ever scare me as much as my Dad saying "If they ever take off, that's it, there is no place to hide."

ramairthree
07-28-17, 10:40
Ssssss

Honu
07-28-17, 17:55
I just remember soylent green and late 70s energy bars I was always like hmmm whats in these :) not sure if that is PTSD worthy but if you lived through that time frame early bars were pretty nasty

SteyrAUG
07-28-17, 18:10
I just remember soylent green and late 70s energy bars I was always like hmmm whats in these :) not sure if that is PTSD worthy but if you lived through that time frame early bars were pretty nasty

Nothing in the 70s was as horrid as TAB diet soda. I was at a friends house and asked him mom if she had anything to drink and she gave me a TAB. It was the worst thing I had ever tasted at the time and that includes a couple unfortunate incidents with Hershey's Cocoa that I thought was ready to go hot chocolate and a bar of Baker's chocolate.

Seriously what kind of deranged woman gives a 10 year old kid a freaking TAB. It's not like I was on a diet. That TAB gave me serious PTSD.

SteyrAUG
07-28-17, 18:12
I was a teenager when that came out, so its effect was minimal.
As a kid my Dad revamped satellite communications equipment all over CONUS. We had a brief conversation about the realities of nuclear war one day after a base alert when the bombers rolled out to the end of the runway and turned back.
No Movie could ever scare me as much as my Dad saying "If they ever take off, that's it, there is no place to hide."

That is some rough shit to tell a teenager. I had a pretty realistic understanding of what would happen but I always had a survival fantasy in the back of my mind. I think that movie scarred adults more than it did kids.

soulezoo
07-28-17, 20:20
Nothing in the 70s was as horrid as TAB diet soda. I was at a friends house and asked him mom if she had anything to drink and she gave me a TAB. It was the worst thing I had ever tasted at the time and that includes a couple unfortunate incidents with Hershey's Cocoa that I thought was ready to go hot chocolate and a bar of Baker's chocolate.

Seriously what kind of deranged woman gives a 10 year old kid a freaking TAB. It's not like I was on a diet. That TAB gave me serious PTSD.

TAB. Hell the cancer from the cyclamates (sic?) in that crap will kill you faster than chain smoking.

Fresca was another nasty one but not on the same scale of nasty like TAB.

You want real PTSD? Watching the Vietnam War as a kid on CBS news while being forced to eat my babysitters meatloaf. With a TAB.....

Honu
07-28-17, 21:21

hahahahahahah TAB :) yeah anything back then fake sugar was like rat poison

an ayds (pornounced aids) weight reducing candy from that same era :)

Honu
07-28-17, 21:24
we used to watch war footage then go play army and kill the commie gooks ? I guess that would not be so PC these days
but we knew one side was commie as kids back then go figure today nobody would know squat but be taught they are innocent and the victims :)

but we had awesome matel M-16 with life like noise action and the other rifles that were quite good plastic toys in the day

lucky I never had to eat baby sitter meatloaf with a tab :)

TAB. Hell the cancer from the cyclamates (sic?) in that crap will kill you faster than chain smoking.

Fresca was another nasty one but not on the same scale of nasty like TAB.

You want real PTSD? Watching the Vietnam War as a kid on CBS news while being forced to eat my babysitters meatloaf. With a TAB.....

Moose-Knuckle
07-29-17, 04:00
Ssssss

I almost watched that the other day as it popped on my que, never heard of it before.

Worth a watch? The description had my interest peaked.

hahahahahahah TAB :) yeah anything back then fake sugar was like rat poison

an ayds (pornounced aids) weight reducing candy from that same era :)

Thankfully some one has uploaded all their commercials to YouTube. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxJDobrrOYA

Pilot1
07-29-17, 08:20

Oh, that brings back memories. We had this little black, and white TV in the kitchen that my parents would turn on to watch the news sometimes during dinner. I remember the Vietnam War well, and the "body counts" every night. McNamara, and his stupid numbers game. Tab? Worst soda ever. Well, maybe diet Fanta too.

Straight Shooter
07-30-17, 07:16
Oh, that brings back memories. We had this little black, and white TV in the kitchen that my parents would turn on to watch the news sometimes during dinner. I remember the Vietnam War well, and the "body counts" every night. McNamara, and his stupid numbers game. Tab? Worst soda ever. Well, maybe diet Fanta too.

I was 10 when Vietnam ended. But, years before that, I remember Cronkite talking nightly about Americans fighting "gorillas"...guerrillas..and I mean I was ALL KINDS of scared of gorillas for awhile. We lived in the country, and alls I had to do was go outside in any direction and I was "innawoods"...I wouldn't go for the longest time.
And BTW- I LOVE TAB & Fresca even more!

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-30-17, 07:33
I was 10 when Vietnam ended. But, years before that, I remember Cronkite talking nightly about Americans fighting "gorillas"...guerrillas..and I mean I was ALL KINDS of scared of gorillas for awhile. We lived in the country, and alls I had to do was go outside in any direction and I was "innawoods"...I wouldn't go for the longest time.
And BTW- I LOVE TAB & Fresca even more!

And the film from these gorilla attacks were grainy and jittery, they looked like gorillas. Then throw in Planet of the Apes stuff and things get a little confusing for a little kid.

Doc Safari
07-31-17, 09:00

Uh, TANG. 'Nuff said.

usmcvet
07-31-17, 09:23
Red Room!

The Shinning.

SteyrAUG
07-31-17, 13:08
Uh, TANG. 'Nuff said.

TANG was no where near as horrid as TAB.

titsonritz
07-31-17, 13:43
Night of the Living Dead

donlapalma
07-31-17, 14:45
Kujo, Exorcist, Poltergeist, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Shining and An Officer and a Gentleman (watched with my parents and it was my first time seeing a steamy hot sex scene - AWKWARD!!).

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

chuckman
07-31-17, 14:55
Kujo, Exorcist, Poltergeist, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Shining and An Officer and a Gentleman (watched with my parents and it was my first time seeing a steamy hot sex scene - AWKWARD!!).

I was 16 and had a girl over to my house on a 'date,' we ordered pizza and I had rented two movies: Police Academy and An Officer and a Gentleman. She chose An Officer and a Gentlemen, and since 1984 have been letting women pick the movie. ;)

SteyrAUG
07-31-17, 17:11
Red Room!

The Shinning.

Red Rum.

usmcvet
07-31-17, 19:07
Red Rum.

You're absolutely correct. I should have written Red Rum. My ex wife and I painted our bathroom red once. It took like here 4 coats to cover. When we were fine I said Red Rum. We laughed and repainted it a lighter color. It was awful!

SteyrAUG
07-31-17, 20:02
You're absolutely correct. I should have written Red Rum. My ex wife and I painted our bathroom red once. It took like here 4 coats to cover. When we were fine I said Red Rum. We laughed and repainted it a lighter color. It was awful!

Four coats sounds about right, one year I got sick of the white bathroom and we went burgundy. It's still the same color, red would be a little hard on the eyes.

Double3
08-01-17, 08:40
I remember Children of the Corn giving me trouble.

chuckman
08-01-17, 09:03
I remember Children of the Corn giving me trouble.

They filmed that movie about 30 miles from where I grew up, and they were looking for extras. I looked into it but I was too old (15).

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-01-17, 11:28
Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The screeching soundtrack scared the beejesus out of me.

Watrdawg
08-01-17, 15:05
Alfred Hitchcocks "The Birds" really gave me the creeps. To this day whenever I see a bunch of crows roosting on the power lines the hair on the back of my neck stands up. Locally we have a street where at least a 1000 maybe more crows come to roost on the powerlines every night. They line the street for at least a 100 yards. The Exorcist was almost as bad.

SteyrAUG
08-01-17, 15:38
Alfred Hitchcocks "The Birds" really gave me the creeps. To this day whenever I see a bunch of crows roosting on the power lines the hair on the back of my neck stands up. Locally we have a street where at least a 1000 maybe more crows come to roost on the powerlines every night. They line the street for at least a 100 yards. The Exorcist was almost as bad.

I just want to know where all the tennis rackets were in that movie. It's like nobody ever played badmiton.

Averageman
08-01-17, 16:24
We have a WalMart here that the birds congregate just like that.
Thousands of grackles in the six or seven trees in the Parking Lot.
At times I've considered going in and buying a large sack of bird seed and leaving it open on the roofs of some of the more inventively parked vehicles.

rushca01
08-01-17, 19:00
Fire in the Sky
Unsolved Mysteries (tv show) always being on late at night didn't help either
Ghostbusters, only one scene though, the demon dog in the closet
Poltergeist
IT
Aliens, I thought aliens were in my basement drop ceiling

Those were all from my child hood late 80s early 90s
As an adult Hostel kind of messed me up.

SteyrAUG
08-01-17, 21:08
Unsolved Mysteries (tv show) always being on late at night didn't help either

Was previously known as "In Search Of..." and the entire box set is now available on DVD. Some of them used to spook the crap out of me in the late 70s.

Moose-Knuckle
08-02-17, 04:51
At times I've considered going in and buying a large sack of bird seed and leaving it open on the roofs of some of the more inventively parked vehicles.

This must happen at almost every Wal-Mart super center, should have to pay for their customers car wash or have some rednecks clear the trees out with birdshot once in awhile.

Watrdawg
08-02-17, 07:22

Oh you just gave me a great idea!! We have a Walmart here that the police call Thug Mart. It doesn't take much of an imagination to figure out why. Bird seed would be a perfect thing to do to some of these vehicle.

grnamin
08-02-17, 14:55
Exorcist - I never watched the movie. The trailer was what got me.
Octaman - Another trailer. I'd wake up in the middle of the night from nightmares.
Altered States
Lair of the White Worm

Averageman
08-02-17, 15:27
Freaks is pretty scary, especially since the "Freaks" came to the silver screen without makeup or special effects.

Jsp10477
08-02-17, 15:54
Silver Bullet. I can still hear the music.

flenna
08-02-17, 19:58
This would give me ptsd today- the Clown Motel. Article says it even has clowns hanging over the beds.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/07/26/this-might-be-creepiest-motel-in-world.html

_Stormin_
08-02-17, 20:45
Arachnophobia...

Eff that movie and everyone who green-lit the production. To this day I keep my damned cereal in a tupperware rather than just folding the bag over like most of America.

1_click_off
08-02-17, 22:10
Mission of the Shark: The Saga of the U.S.S. Indianapolis

Peshawar
08-03-17, 17:33
The Stunt Man (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081568/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2)
Soldier Blue (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066390/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1)
The Amityville Horror (original)
Alien (first one)
Pet Cemetery (first one)
Razorback (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087981/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1)

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-03-17, 19:20
Arachnophobia...

Eff that movie and everyone who green-lit the production. To this day I keep my damned cereal in a tupperware rather than just folding the bag over like most of America.

Oooo, thats a good one! I still shake my shoes out to this day.

davidz71
08-03-17, 21:22
The original Frankenstein, The Wolfman and Psycho. I learned to check under my bed and in the closet before going to bed. I also learned to hit the switch on the run, leap through the air to land on the bed and pull the covers over my head and wait something to attack me. Glad I grew out of that.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-03-17, 21:46
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. More just creeped me out as a kid.

yellowfin
08-03-17, 21:58
Aliens, I thought aliens were in my basement drop ceiling That one got me too, really really bad.

Pretty much I have always stayed away from scary movies because I've got a really vivid, super persistent memory so stuff like that pops into my head when I really don't want it to and almost without warning. It's one thing to be able to remember the stuff that's useful like all the knots you learned in Scouts or facts about biology, fieldcraft, how to do stuff, where places are you haven't been in years, recipes of favorite foods from a decade or two ago, etc. but then stuff like horror movies, ugly chicks, and stupid stuff you wish you hadn't said jumps right in there with it.

HCrum87hc
08-04-17, 12:01
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. More just creeped me out as a kid.

I can't believe this took until page 11 to be brought up. This movie probably freaked me out more than any other growing up. Our daycare showed it probably once a week, and I was not a fan.

CPM
08-04-17, 12:09
Interview with a Vampire. I saw it waaaayyy too young and to this day as an Iraq veteran in his 30's I do not expose the inside of my wrists as I sleep.

SteyrAUG
08-04-17, 14:19
Interview with a Vampire. I saw it waaaayyy too young and to this day as an Iraq veteran in his 30's I do not expose the inside of my wrists as I sleep.

Get these.

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/maeqd/images/tc-stud-leather-waist-belt-1.jpg

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-04-17, 20:40
Get these.

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/maeqd/images/tc-stud-leather-waist-belt-1.jpg

I can't afford a gay Kung Fu master to guard me at night.

LoboTBL
08-04-17, 21:45
Seriously, I can't think of a single one. I saw almost all of the ones mentioned too. Differentiating fantasy from reality has never been a problem for me. Now I've seen some for real shit that has definitely warped me.

Turnkey11
08-14-17, 00:44
Children of the Corn, when Isaac comes back for Malachi.

duece71
08-15-17, 20:26
Phantasm, the Fog, Alien (every minute of it) Friday the 13th, Fright Night, Salems Lot (when the dude Ned sitting in jail gets a visit from the vampire) the first Ghostbusters movie (the demonic Sigourney Weaver "there is no Dana....only Zule").

TAZ
08-15-17, 21:28
Cat People. I think I nearly shat myself when that guys arm was torn off by the Puma.

There is a lot of irony about that movie for me. On one hand it was one of the first R rated movies I saw. Boobies = Schwing arm getting tore off = no schwing.

SteyrAUG
08-15-17, 23:31
Cat People. I think I nearly shat myself when that guys arm was torn off by the Puma.

There is a lot of irony about that movie for me. On one hand it was one of the first R rated movies I saw. Boobies = Schwing arm getting tore off = no schwing.

Don't you hate that? I was kinda digging Hostel until they started torturing people. If there are two emotions I really don't want to mix it's "Wow...she's really hot" and "OMFG he just cut her eye out!!!"

I generally worry about some people who are into the slasher / gore movies. I try and remind myself that the same concerns were raised in the 1930s and 1950s with respect to horror films such as Dracula and Frankenstein. But I still worry about some of the people who are into slasher / gore movies.

Doc Safari
08-16-17, 09:26
Don't you hate that? I was kinda digging Hostel until they started torturing people. If there are two emotions I really don't want to mix it's "Wow...she's really hot" and "OMFG he just cut her eye out!!!"

I generally worry about some people who are into the slasher / gore movies. I try and remind myself that the same concerns were raised in the 1930s and 1950s with respect to horror films such as Dracula and Frankenstein. But I still worry about some of the people who are into slasher / gore movies.

I agree. I'm totally against censorship, but you have to wonder if some people are getting their jollies watching people being tortured.

jmp45
06-18-18, 09:04
"From Hell It Came" caused me to look at trees a whole different way. Ghoulardi IIRC had a Saturday afternoon show for us kids.

Heads up for 'From Hell It Came' today on TCM 3:15 edt..;) Must be sci-fi day on TCM.

The_War_Wagon
06-18-18, 10:47
Jaws. I was 8 when it came out. I hate the ocean to this day. :mad:

WillBrink
06-18-18, 11:20

Only thing good about that awful movie was the theme song, which is still a favorite and on rotation for listening to this day for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpdHMaccjw4

WillBrink
06-18-18, 11:45

From an early age, when they started combining sex with torture and violence, it disturbed the hell out me, and I had no interest. The "murder porn" genre (to use the South Park term) crosses a line that all my warning bells sounded, and even though fictional, not for me. I don't recall names, but seems like late 70s- 80s those really became a thing, and I got up left my friends in grade school in a theater being freaked out. F that.

JC5188
06-18-18, 14:27
Amityville Horror, and Piranha!

AH screwed up my sleep for months[emoji53]

gaijin
06-18-18, 16:02
Wizard of Oz.
Flying monkeys were bad stuff to a little kid.
The witch was pretty bad too.

Moose-Knuckle
06-19-18, 00:16
Wizard of Oz.
Flying monkeys were bad stuff to a little kid.

Those bastards alone were reason enough for God to give us the Auto Assault-12.

Dienekes
06-19-18, 07:13
“The Road”. Dystopian (and depressing) as hell. Bad stuff happening to kids really gets to me nowadays.

militarymoron
06-19-18, 08:06
Those bastards alone were reason enough for God to give us the Auto Assault-12.

Moose-Knuckle, your avatar reminded me of Space:1999, which was another show that gave me PTSD as a kid. Especially scenes like this:

WillBrink
06-19-18, 08:33
Moose-Knuckle, your avatar reminded me of Space:1999, which was another show that gave me PTSD as a kid. Especially scenes like this:

Talk about blast from the past. Forgot all about that show. Loved it as a kid. Special effects, etc were cheesy as fu%e, but I didn't care.

Moose-Knuckle
06-19-18, 12:46
“The Road”. Dystopian (and depressing) as hell. Bad stuff happening to kids really gets to me nowadays.

I created a thread years ago entitled The quintessential SHTF movie & television thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?84164-The-quintessential-SHTF-movie-amp-television-thread), a lot of people said the same thing about The Road. I always found the movie to be realistic thus a must see. Cormac McCarthy said he wrote the book as a father and son story, it's just the background is set ten years after the collapse of civilization instead of on a boat or some other scenario. He dedicated the critically acclaimed book to his son. The book was much darker, especially concerning the outcome of children in that type of world.

Ah, another classic!

My avatar is from the artwork on the album Gravity X by the the psychedelic rock band Truckfighters hailing from Örebro, Sweden. :cool:

SteyrAUG
06-20-18, 00:38
Only thing good about that awful movie was the theme song, which is still a favorite and on rotation for listening to this day for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpdHMaccjw4

Gonna disagree. Loved the movie, even love the original version.

5.56 Bonded SP
06-20-18, 02:38
Brave little toaster

militarymoron
06-20-18, 22:24
Ah, another classic!

My avatar is from the artwork on the album Gravity X by the the psychedelic rock band Truckfighters hailing from Örebro, Sweden. :cool:

Interesting! I wonder why they chose Martin Landau in Eagle Pilot gear as their album cover.

Moose-Knuckle
06-21-18, 05:35
Interesting! I wonder why they chose Martin Landau in Eagle Pilot gear as their album cover.

Not sure, but they probably where fans of the show. I dig that type of artwork, especially from retro sci-fi.

If you like that sort of thing, The Vault Of The Atomic Space Age is your friend.
http://thevaultoftheatomicspaceage.tumblr.com/

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1814/28066482947_cd07efccbf.jpg

jmp45
06-21-18, 08:22
Not sure, but they probably where fans of the show. I dig that type of artwork, especially from retro sci-fi.

If you like that sort of thing, The Vault Of The Atomic Space Age is your friend.
http://thevaultoftheatomicspaceage.tumblr.com/

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1814/28066482947_cd07efccbf.jpg

That is very cool, thanks for the link Moose.

Moose-Knuckle
06-21-18, 13:22
That is very cool, thanks for the link Moose.

Your very welcome.

Still trying to talk my wife in putting this artwork from 2001 in the living room, maybe if I ever get me one of those man cave thingies. :cool:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1832/42941485411_57cef6f996_z.jpg

RetroRevolver77
06-21-18, 20:28
I created a thread years ago entitled The quintessential SHTF movie & television thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?84164-The-quintessential-SHTF-movie-amp-television-thread), a lot of people said the same thing about The Road. I always found the movie to be realistic thus a must see. Cormac McCarthy said he wrote the book as a father and son story, it's just the background is set ten years after the collapse of civilization instead of on a boat or some other scenario. He dedicated the critically acclaimed book to his son. The book was much darker, especially concerning the outcome of children in that type of world.

We need more movies like "The Road". Probably the best overall SHTF movie ever made.

Det-Sog
06-21-18, 22:41
Space 1999 was cool as a kid. The miniature work was good for a low budget TV show. That episode where the alien sucked people in and spit out the dehydrated corpse had me hooked.

I still have a very high-quality eagle model in the display case.

https://youtu.be/9WKfEj5JpwA

Moose-Knuckle
06-22-18, 04:09
We need more movies like "The Road". Probably the best overall SHTF movie ever made.

I agree.

It's actually a beautiful touching story under all the brutal stuff, the love of a father for his son.

militarymoron
06-22-18, 09:36
Space 1999 was cool as a kid. The miniature work was good for a low budget TV show. That episode where the alien sucked people in and spit out the dehydrated corpse had me hooked.

I still have a very high-quality eagle model in the display case.

https://youtu.be/9WKfEj5JpwA

The burnt walking dude with glowing eyes is another episode that freaked me out as a kid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbJodLSvAw

Arik
06-22-18, 10:32
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. When I was a kid the scene with all those bugs creeped me out. I was afraid to put my feet on the floor at night

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
06-22-18, 17:32

That movie was soul crushing. Right up there with Savior and the remake of On The Beach as one of the most brutal films ever made. Worst part about the Road is even if his kid with the new family who has a dog survives, it's still the end of everything and humanity isn't going to recover, they are just dragging out the inevitable. Even if you found a warehouse with a lifetime supply of non perishable food, you would spend the rest of your life trying to defend it and would eventually lose.

If it was me, I'd probably spend a few years trying to survive but would ultimately come to the conclusion that this is no way to live and would do whatever is important to me while I still could then check out as painlessly as possible.

Doc Safari
06-22-18, 17:35
That movie was soul crushing. Right up there with Savior and the remake of On The Beach as one of the most brutal films ever made. Worst part about the Road is even if his kid with the new family who has a dog survives, it's still the end of everything and humanity isn't going to recover, they are just dragging out the inevitable. Even if you found a warehouse with a lifetime supply of non perishable food, you would spend the rest of your life trying to defend it and would eventually lose.

If it was me, I'd probably spend a few years trying to survive but would ultimately come to the conclusion that this is no way to live and would do whatever is important to me while I still could then check out as painlessly as possible.

School me on the "On the Beach" remake. I saw the old one and thought it was decent.

RetroRevolver77
06-22-18, 21:20

The Road has a good ending filled with hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zaoC_RhpIA

Arik
06-22-18, 21:37
We need more movies like "The Road". Probably the best overall SHTF movie ever made.That's ok. Shtf movies are like watching zombie movies. Once is fun but afterwards it's the same old shit

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

jmp45
06-23-18, 11:54
If I'd seen Haxan as a toddler, there definitely would be some wide eyes open at night for quite a while ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkXlXc0lA9c

SteyrAUG
06-23-18, 17:39
School me on the "On the Beach" remake. I saw the old one and thought it was decent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Beach_(2000_film)

Armand Assante and Rachel Ward. Powerful modern day remake where China retakes Taiwan and we trade nukes with them. Otherwise essentially the same film but with a modern realism thrown in and showing the breakdown of society in ways that the original could never depict.

SteyrAUG
06-23-18, 17:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zaoC_RhpIA

Sure, but no matter how you do the math it's checkmate. The Earth is essentially dead and existing supplies of non perishable food will carry no more than the next generation.

Moose-Knuckle
06-26-18, 03:10

The family has a girl around the same age as the boy.

I took it that they grow up and marry and start the process all over again. We've almost gone extinct more than a few times on this space ship Earth of our's.

WillBrink
06-26-18, 09:26
Sure, but no matter how you do the math it's checkmate. The Earth is essentially dead and existing supplies of non perishable food will carry no more than the next generation.

More or less the focus of my last SF novella, earth uses it's remaining tech to find a few habitable planets knowing it's lights out if they don't get off the planet while it's still possible:

https://www.amazon.com/Soul-Mind-Novella-Will-Brink-ebook/dp/B079P8BNN2/

06-26-18, 12:13
Salem's Lot; still holds up well today. Noserfatu; same.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-30-18, 08:02
My mother took me to see “ghost story” in the theater. I was 9. It gave me nightmares for weeks. But “the exorcist” and “the shining” are probably my all time ptsd inducers. I recently saw “Hereditary” and it was damn, damn good. The car scene and it’s final payoff shot burned straight into my mind and I can’t say that about any movie in 20-30 years.

Campbell
06-30-18, 13:12
If I'd seen Haxan as a toddler, there definitely would be some wide eyes open at night for quite a while ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkXlXc0lA9c

That is creepville!

TomMcC
06-30-18, 19:54
Taxi Driver

The Godfather 1

jmp45
06-30-18, 20:52
That is creepville!

For sure, I would not let the youngsters view that.

Campbell
06-30-18, 20:56

Truth. I watched it all, had to. That’s the only stuff that gets in my head...

SteyrAUG
06-30-18, 23:08

Seriously laughed all the way through that one when I was 12. The only scary parts were the witch trial crap where innocent people were persecuted for being witches and false confessions from torture. Even when I was a kid, I knew that crap actually happened back then.

The Malleus Maleficarum is a pretty frightening book when you remember it was used as a "how to" manual and people believed everything in it.