PDA

View Full Version : Show Clear that ends badly

WillBrink
07-24-17, 18:18
Personally, never attempted to catch/prevent a rnd from dropping to the ground when doing an “unload and show clear" at IDPA or a course and I suspect it would have been frowned on, but never saw anyone do it. I'd think most instructors would not be a fan of it. Is that something you all have seen and or done?

Standard “unload and show clear” costs shooter his hand

"The pictures are of a recovered case and projectile after a shooter attempted to eject a live round during an unloading evolution. The shooter covered the ejection port with his hand and attempted to capture the live round rather than letting it eject freely from the ejection port. The round was trapped, under pressure of the recoil spring, in-between the edge of the ejection port along the edge of the breach face and the front of the ejection port on the right side of the slide.

There is a noticeable linear denting on the nose of the projectile and an obvious strike point on the rear of the case and the primer. The projectile could not escape and the resulting effect was for the case to burst. The pressure from the burning propellent was absorbed by the shooter’s hand."

Cont:

http://americangg.net/tb-unload-show-clear-hand/

MegademiC
07-24-17, 18:23
I eject like that on a private range, slowly. I'd imagine it took a bit or force to fire the round. It's usually with snap caps though.

Like holstering, no need to rush it.

223to45
07-24-17, 18:31
Lots of people at the comps I go to catch their round, but most rack the slide , catch the round in the air.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Alex V
07-24-17, 19:04
I just let it drop. Screw it. I shoot Wolf or other inexpensive 9mm. $0.25 or less isn't worth it.

ggammell
07-24-17, 19:07
Somebody missed the slide stop.

RazorBurn
07-24-17, 20:10
I just let it drop. Screw it. I shoot Wolf or other inexpensive 9mm. $0.25 or less isn't worth it.

After seeing and hearing about the results of not letting it drop, I just let it drop too. No need to risk it IMHO.

Averageman
07-24-17, 20:34
After seeing and hearing about the results of not letting it drop, I just let it drop too. No need to risk it IMHO.
We will never be like the cool kids.
Let it drop.

hotrodder636
07-24-17, 20:50
I let them drop. A few rounds of 9mm is not that expensive.

I saw this article. Just saw the blown casing. Bad day.

KTR03
07-24-17, 21:00
Don't catch it. Don't cover the ejection port. I teach for a nationally famous instructor, we must say "let it drop" a dozen times a day. The we have to say don't bend over and pick it up with others on the line with their pistols drawn. I always laugh seeing 150k a year people crawling around on all fours looking for ammo.

glocktogo
07-24-17, 21:49
The issue isn't catching the round in the hand, it's letting the slide go forward with force, and before verifying the round is fully clear of the port and in the hand. That said I don't do it or advise it. The only unobjectionable method I've seen for catching the round is gently and slowly retracting the slide while tilting the gun slightly where the round falls out between the bottom of the ejection port and the outstretched trigger finger laying alongside. That method has the advantage of not letting the round fall to the ground, which on some chunk gravel ranges have caused detonations.

SteyrAUG
07-24-17, 22:42
I always pull the mag first, then rack the slide / action while locking open the slide / action.

I don't try and pull "cool stunts" like snatching the round in the air, I'm more concerned with muzzle discipline. Once I'm cleared by the RO I pick up the unfired round.

WillBrink
07-25-17, 07:30
Lots of people at the comps I go to catch their round, but most rack the slide , catch the round in the air.

That I have seen done yes.