PDA

View Full Version : zeroing with a laser

josey88
10-03-08, 22:11
Will it be worth spending $40.00 in one of those lasers that are inserted inside the barrel to supposedly make zeroing a scope and the iron sights easier ? it is a new AR and I haven`t adjusted it yet . Also, is this laser method accurate ? If not , I will do it the old fashion way . Wal-mart sell them . I know, I know... just asking out of curiosity, mostly Thanks

K.L. Davis
10-03-08, 22:32
Pop the upper receiver off, pull out the bolt carrier assembly, bag the receiver down and look through the bore from the back -- you can get first round on a Transtar at 200 meters no problem.

josey88
10-03-08, 22:55
That did not ocurred to me ...Thanks .

spamsammich
10-03-08, 23:19
I got one before I learned the cheap method. It'll get you on paper, but it doesn't account for bullet drop so keep that in mind. I use mine at 25m to get on paper and then take the rifle to a 25yrd range to dial it in to get my POI 1.25" below point of aim for an approximate Improved Battlesight Zero. Unfortunately I don't have easy access to a range over 25 yards.

30 cal slut
10-04-08, 05:43
Will it be worth spending $40.00 in one of those lasers that are inserted inside the barrel to supposedly make zeroing a scope and the iron sights easier ? it is a new AR and I haven`t adjusted it yet . Also, is this laser method accurate ? If not , I will do it the old fashion way . Wal-mart sell them . I know, I know... just asking out of curiosity, mostly Thanks

works for me.

i got frustrated when i went into my local gunsmith to get a red dot boresighted. he couldn't do it with conventional tools. also, i was at an outdoor range that had some silly rules about not shooting centerfire cartridges at targets inside of 100 yards (couldn't get close up on a target).

i ordered an s-lite laser and within 10 minutes of fiddling around with it i was perfectly zero'd (point of aim = point of impact) on a carbine inside 25 yards. (note: when you get to the range, on a 5.56 mm carbine, point of aim @ 50 yards should not be point of impact).

so, yes, if you have the means, why not. it will save time and rounds expended.

josey88
10-04-08, 14:10
That was my original thinking , that it will make it easier to zeroing both , my iron sights and the scope , so... I think I will buy it . I know , it is $40.00 but I think it is worth it. Thanks to all for your input josey88

DWood
10-04-08, 16:41
Most red dot optics that I have used will hit paper at 25 yards right from the factory. If not, have a friend stand behind the shot and he can call the adjustment by watching where the round impacts the berm. Once on paper it is relatively easy to adjust the POI. I adjust to about 1.5" low at 25 yards and then move the target to 50 yards.

I zero my rifles at 50 yards which means POI/POA is also the same at about 200 meters. I like a 50 yard zero.

I zeroed 5 rifles with friends this week using this method.

josey88
10-04-08, 17:58
I got it. I will measure 25 yards at the house`s backyard , adjust it to 1.5" low from the beam impact ,and then ( if no one has called the police screaming that there is a guy on a backyard with an assault rifle) later on I will go to the range, put the paper on the 25 yards mark, check the aim and then move the paper to the 50 yards. If the aim is correct and zero checks ok at 50 yards, it will be good for up 200 yards... is that correct ? I also would like the zeroing to 50 yards. Thanks