PDA

View Full Version : Dunkirk a must see.

Averageman
07-24-17, 23:22
Truly the best movie of the year.
On par with epics like "The Longest Day".
A must see

eightmillimeter
07-24-17, 23:34
That's what I've been hearing. LAV gave it 10/10 on his Facebook as well. Hopefully Thursday for me.

Averageman
07-24-17, 23:38
Don't be surprised if Tom Hardy wins an Oscar for a role where he has less than three dozen words.

jpmuscle
07-25-17, 01:15
I'm planning to see it. But how is it only pg13??

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
07-25-17, 01:46
I'm planning to see it. But how is it only pg13??

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It's summer. The Dark Knight pulled a questionable PG-13. Seems violence is no longer a big issue, just keep them bewbies covered.

sjc3081
07-25-17, 07:33
I saw it great movie but it can't compare to Saving Private Ryan or Fury.

chuckman
07-25-17, 08:04
I'll wait for Red Box.

An 'informal poll' scrolling through a few forums and reviews is that it is good, not great.

I just saw Hacksaw Ridge last night for the first time on HBO; again, good, not great.

Maybe my expectations are too high or the trailers are just showing the best of the films.

Lefty223
07-25-17, 08:06
... and the French are upset that it's not mentioned that it was their troops fighting the advancing Germans around the beaches ... that allowed the tactical retreat and evacuation to happen ...

Averageman
07-25-17, 08:20
It was made pretty clear in the movie that the French held the line for the Brits to evacuate Dunkirk.
What didn't happen was there wasn't a constant reminder during the drama on the beach that the French were dying while doing so.
I'm pretty sure if they wanted to, the French could make their own movie and then gripe about that one also.

Doc Safari
07-25-17, 09:02
It was a good movie, to be sure, but I wouldn't call it great. Wish we had waited to see it on video instead of spending a fortune to see it at the theater.

I wish the filmmakers had concentrated more on the battles leading up to the evacuation and the troops reaching the coast instead of the boat lift portion of the movie.

To my mind they concentrated on the least interesting aspect of the Battle of Dunkirk.

donlapalma
07-25-17, 09:09
I saw it in 70mm. Incredible. It is thrilling and tense through and through. Hans Zimmer's score was great and Oscar worthy. I'm definitely going back to see it in iMax.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nowski87
07-25-17, 10:27
That's movie was okay. Not the worst but no where near the best. I found most of it kind of boring, two characters looked so much alike I got lost on who was who especially with Nolan's use of quicks cuts.

There was no character development or use of names of anyone. So I didn't care about anyone in the story, they might as well have just been numbers or wax dummies. The order of which the story was told was trippy too I figured it out after a while, why did I have to figure it out? I see what Nolan was trying to do but it just didn't work for me. It's like he was trying to inception his own movie.

Like I said the movie is just okay and I personally never need to see it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Det-Sog
07-25-17, 12:08
I saw it in IMAX... Awesome movie. I'll call it a "must watch".

I saw it great movie but it can't compare to Saving Private Ryan or Fury.

Agreed, BUT at least in MY opinion, it's right there behind Fury.

I actually like the idea of no character development in this movie. It makes a nice twist. The story is about the overall evacuation that prevented the deaths of many thousands of men. This evacuation possibly stopped the Britts from having their own version of the Bataan death march.

WickedWillis
07-25-17, 13:22
These are the only positive things I have heard about the film. Everyone I have talked to about the film, including my friend who went to film school, said the spectacle was fantastic, but the rest of the film is lacking everywhere else. He even told me to wait for bluray and not see it in theaters. So you can imagine my shock when I am seeing such positive things lol

Doc Safari
07-25-17, 13:26
These are the only positive things I have heard about the film. Everyone I have talked to about the film, including my friend who went to film school, said the spectacle was fantastic, but the rest of the film is lacking everywhere else. He even told me to wait for bluray and not see it in theaters. So you can imagine my shock when I am seeing such positive things lol

If it helps any, I couldn't wait to see it. I wanted to see it opening night. Imagine my surprise when it was over and I wish I'd waited for it to come out on video.

It's worth seeing, but it doesn't hold a candle to Saving Private Ryan, Fury, Enemy at the Gates, Act of Valor, Lone Survivor, Blackhawk Down, or any other recent war movie you could name.

I keep hearing "A Bridge Too Far" in my head, but it's not that bad. (I've always said "A Bridge Too Far" should have been called "An Hour Too Long").

DirectTo
07-25-17, 14:58
I saw it in 70mm Friday and am headed black today to see it in IMAX. I think it's right up there with Saving Private Ryan as an excellent war movie, but it's a very different kind. You never see an enemy directly. The fighting is brief, detached, and mostly air to air.

It's a suspenseful thriller, not really a combat flick, hence the PG-13 rating. Nolan does a very good job of building suspense for an action that you already know the ending to.

I'd much rather watch it than Fury or American sniper. But if you're wanting a shallow, explosions and bullets everywhere type of war movie, it's not your ticket.

Doc Safari
07-25-17, 15:00
I saw it in 70mm Friday and am headed black today to see it in IMAX. I think it's right up there with Saving Private Ryan as an excellent war movie, but it's a very different kind. You never see an enemy directly. The fighting is brief, detached, and mostly air to air.

It's a suspenseful thriller, not really a combat flick, hence the PG-13 rating. Nolan does a very good job of building suspense for an action that you already know the ending to.

I'd much rather watch it than Fury or American sniper. But if you're wanting a shallow, explosions and bullets everywhere type of war movie, it's not your ticket.

I did like the tension, and the aerial dogfights were good, but the movie shows the same scene from multiple perspectives and that gets tedious and confusing. I would have appreciated just a straight telling from one or two main characters' point of view.

Grand58742
07-25-17, 22:16
Hans Zimmer's score was great and Oscar worthy.

Not to thread drift, but in my opinion, Zimmer is only rivaled by John Williams as the greatest composer of film scores.

rero360
07-25-17, 23:08
I saw it in IMAX with the wife and we both loved it, could hear girls a few rows back crying.

eightmillimeter
07-26-17, 00:06
Not to thread drift, but in my opinion, Zimmer is only rivaled by John Williams as the greatest composer of film scores.

I'm not sure I can swallow that. Williams was fortunate to be working during the golden age of film, real movies that people associate with and therefore the music becomes maybe more famous. Everyone knows the themes to Star Wars and Jaws, but to think that Jaws is better music than almost anything by Zimmer, no way.

Zimmer's on a live tour in North America right now. I went to the premier in LA and it was worth every second.

SteyrAUG
07-26-17, 01:22
I'm not sure I can swallow that. Williams was fortunate to be working during the golden age of film, real movies that people associate with and therefore the music becomes maybe more famous. Everyone knows the themes to Star Wars and Jaws, but to think that Jaws is better music than almost anything by Zimmer, no way.

Zimmer's on a live tour in North America right now. I went to the premier in LA and it was worth every second.

And Wagner was a product of the Opera. And this composer was fortunate during this period and that composer was fortunate during that one. Every composer must find a place for his music to flourish and while I think Jaws was pretty basic, the entire Star Wars soundtrack was amazing.

Sometimes he was just scoring movies like ET and Superman, but other times the music made the film complete like Raiders, Empire of the Sun and Schindler's List. He's on a short list of modern classical composers that I even GAFA.

I'm not as familiar with Zimmer since so many of his films really sucked. Waste of talent to score crap like The Thin Red Line. Gladiator, The Last Samurai and Interstellar were decent films but honestly I don't even remember the music. I know the Dark Knight films had music that seemed to fit the film, but honestly I don't recall any of it.

But I think about Star Wars for two seconds and Luke's theme runs through my mind and to me it's more powerful than the Imperial March.

hotrodder636
07-26-17, 08:01
While at the theater to watch two other movies [previously], they were advertising the hell out of Dunkirk--hyping it up it appeared to me. Just from the 6 or 7 trailer/clips personally Imwill wait for Radbox or Netflix. I was not drawn in at all.

Whiskey_Bravo
07-26-17, 08:24
Watched it last night with the wife. I thought it was a really good movie and did a decent job of telling the story. With that said it had a few issues that I didn't love. The soldier on the civilian boat with "shell shock" was annoying. The one shot kills on every single boat that was hit by a single German bomb that resulted in almost instant sinking. And finally the never ending RAF gliding fighter pilot.

Doc Safari
07-26-17, 08:49
To my mind, Zimmer's best soundtrack is still Broken Arrow.

Moose-Knuckle
07-27-17, 05:29
I'm really wanting to see it in 70mm IMAX.

Hope this thread doesn't get locked like my last one on the film!

MountainRaven
07-27-17, 12:47
And Wagner was a product of the Opera. And this composer was fortunate during this period and that composer was fortunate during that one. Every composer must find a place for his music to flourish and while I think Jaws was pretty basic, the entire Star Wars soundtrack was amazing.

Sometimes he was just scoring movies like ET and Superman, but other times the music made the film complete like Raiders, Empire of the Sun and Schindler's List. He's on a short list of modern classical composers that I even GAFA.

I'm not as familiar with Zimmer since so many of his films really sucked. Waste of talent to score crap like The Thin Red Line. Gladiator, The Last Samurai and Interstellar were decent films but honestly I don't even remember the music. I know the Dark Knight films had music that seemed to fit the film, but honestly I don't recall any of it.

But I think about Star Wars for two seconds and Luke's theme runs through my mind and to me it's more powerful than the Imperial March.

I agree with Steyr, although I think Zimmerman is good and can easily recall the themes from Gladiator. Kingdom of Heaven, The Last Samurai, &c., not so much.

Star Wars, Minority Report, Memoirs of a Geisha, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, &c. Zimmerman is good and will probably be the best person writing movie scores after John Williams passes... but John Williams is still the best.

ggammell
07-27-17, 15:23
I thought it was incredible. 2 hours of straight different from Saving Private Ryan. There isn't a story line to achieve with the characters. It doesn't need it. The story tells the story. I thought it was significantly better than Fury. I'm glad I made the trip to see it. Waiting to watch it on my 60" isn't anywhere close to the IMAX screen. There is an element of feel to the movie that the cinema sound conveys that's tough to get at home.

jesuvuah
07-27-17, 17:58

The music in interstellar actually helped make the movie for me. It was epic organ music and I thought gave the movie a cool feel

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

Averageman
07-27-17, 18:13
Watched it last night with the wife. I thought it was a really good movie and did a decent job of telling the story. With that said it had a few issues that I didn't love. The soldier on the civilian boat with "shell shock" was annoying. The one shot kills on every single boat that was hit by a single German bomb that resulted in almost instant sinking. And finally the never ending RAF gliding fighter pilot.

Bear in mind overloaded Ships, and these were obviously grossly overloaded react very differently than running at their specifications.
A puncture in the hull of an overloaded ship will react to pressures caused by a puncture very differently than one running to their load specification.
Also, a lot of the Ships we are seeing weren't any more modern than the Titanic.