PDA

View Full Version : Greetings! 1/9 16" 223 barrel ideal load?

Casual Rational Basis
10-03-08, 23:51
Hello all, I'm am a soon to be new reloader. I have equipment coming in and I am currently becoming over whelmed by the choices of components for reloading .223. I've also planned on reloading 9mm and 45acp, but those reloads will just be practice.

I'm just a casual civilian shooter with some minor military background who shoots at least once a week at my private 50m range. The local public range is 150m, but it is a bit of a drive away and I don't get out there often.

My inventory of weapons related to this post include 2x 16" mid-length AR-15's. 2x 16" Carbine AR-15's and a 14.5"+ FH Mini-14. All are 1/9 twist barrels.

I'm striving to comprehend the various recipes that are out there, both officially published and those from joe-bob-anonymous from the grate internets...I know the Mk.262 is famous on the various boards, but I also know it is loaded on the hot side - something I'm not quite comfortable starting out with. I'm looking to get at least 1 moa consistently from the AR's when benched, the Mini-14, well it is a Mini-14 and if I hit the barn door, I'm happy.

One thing that strikes me is the various types and brands of powders. Is there a common powder (with data for common loads available) that I can use for all the calibers I plan to load (223, 9 and 45)?

I'd like to emphasize accuracy first, terminal/ballistic performance second and cost third in determining an ideal load. I would love to experiment a little and find a good load and just leave it at that, and reload enough for handling zombies... I have limited time (I'm in law school) and I'd just like to find an acceptable load and stick with it for shooting ~120 rounds a month, other than reloading about 4k rounds for a zombie stash once a given load has proven itself. I have similar requirements for my pistol reloads, but that isn't the point of this post.

Thanks.

Sorry if I've missed any related posts or search features, this is my first post after all.

markm
10-04-08, 11:00
One thing that strikes me is the various types and brands of powders. Is there a common powder (with data for common loads available) that I can use for all the calibers I plan to load (223, 9 and 45)?

Definitely not. Rifle and pistol powders have much different burn rates.

If you want a decent general purpose pistol powder, you could try WIN 231. It can be used for a wide variety of loads. I've used it for .38 special, .357 mag, 9mm, and .45acp.

Kurt Reifert
10-04-08, 14:43
Take a look at Hodgdon Titegroup for you 9mm and .45acp loads.
It's very clean and works well in a broad range of pistol calibers.

It is not a rifle powder. For the .223 I recommend Ramshot TAC. 24.5 grains with a 55 grain fmj projectile works very well.

Dedpoet
10-04-08, 14:57
I'm currently loading 27.5 grains of Winchester 748 under a 55 grain bulk Hornady bullet with a cannelure in my 1/9 16". I've been happy with it for the 400 or so I've fired, but plan to try the Ramshot TAC load Kurt posted once I run out due to slightly better economics and great feedback it gets.

markm
10-04-08, 21:00
For the .223 I recommend Ramshot TAC. 24.5 grains with a 55 grain fmj projectile works very well.

That's a pet load of several of us here. It is, however, not a very hot load. I get ridiculous accuracy out of it.

If the OP is looking for a Zombie stash load, it might not be ideal.

Kurt Reifert
10-05-08, 08:02
Have to agree, but this is the criteria he laid out:

I'd like to emphasize accuracy first, terminal/ballistic performance second and cost third in determining an ideal load

Wrong order for a zombie load, but what do I know. I don't believe in zombies.
Blue helmets tend to make me nervous.

Low Drag
10-05-08, 10:40
I've worked up some 55gr and 69gr loads for my 1:9, both work very well.

I us Accurate Arm 2230 & 2520. I didn't see any improvement using Match King bullets Vs Hornady 68/69 gr bullets. But that could easily be my barrel. If I do my part I get about 1 MOA accuracy at 200 yards.

I also use Titegroup for my handgun loads. It's not position sensitive and low volume.