PDA

View Full Version : New AR owner

Poec9090
07-26-17, 13:38
Hello everyone,

I am a new AR owner. I recently chosen a Daniel Defence V7 Mil spec +. My general purpose of the rifle is a lot of training, home Defence and SHTF. I have been studying a lot from this forum but I still have questions.

- Is Daniel Defence mid grade or high grade quality? The materials that are used seems to be very strong and durable. Also, I seen that parts are tested. I seen Noveske rifles that go for more and some people choose them instead.
- How many rounds will parts last for or what will need to be replaced after 25,000 rounds?

HeruMew
07-26-17, 13:45
Hi Poec, first and foremost, Welcome to M4C!

Secondly, GREAT CHOICE! You're starting off right here, and we can tell you did your research before buying.

DD, around here, is considered Mid-High grade equipment. I think it's not quite revered as BCM/Noveske, but no one will give you crap for low quality*.

Parts replacement will have to be broken down by another member, I myself don't have all the specs.

IIRC, around 10k you're looking at an extractor, multiple sets of gas rings, and probably a buffer spring.

That's all I can remember immediately without employign my GoogleFu or breaking out my Sweeny books.

*Wellll, most won't. Your mileage probably will vary.

Poec9090
07-26-17, 20:49
That's what I'm curious about. Answers on when to replace things seems scattered. I would like to keep spare parts for that.

SeriousStudent
07-26-17, 20:53
Seek, and ye shall find: https://info.publicintelligence.net/USMC-M16-MaintenanceManual.pdf

I give you the USMC technical manual for the M4 carbine.

It will tell you when to replace buffer springs (hint, you need a ruler, it's based on length), extractor springs, bolts, barrels, etc.

SeriousStudent
07-26-17, 20:55
Oh, and if you have an opportunity, you may want to hunt down a Semper Paratus AR Armorer class taught by our very own IraqGunz. I have taken it twice, and found it to be a very valuable training experience both times.

Welcome aboard!

Poec9090
07-26-17, 22:16
Oh, and if you have an opportunity, you may want to hunt down a Semper Paratus AR Armorer class taught by our very own IraqGunz. I have taken it twice, and found it to be a very valuable training experience both times.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks! Will do!

Beat Trash
07-27-17, 08:13
Hello everyone,

I am a new AR owner. I recently chosen a Daniel Defence V7 Mil spec +. My general purpose of the rifle is a lot of training, home Defence and SHTF. I have been studying a lot from this forum but I still have questions.

- Is Daniel Defence mid grade or high grade quality? The materials that are used seems to be very strong and durable. Also, I seen that parts are tested. I seen Noveske rifles that go for more and some people choose them instead.
- How many rounds will parts last for or what will need to be replaced after 25,000 rounds?

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of the AR.

You made a good choice for your first rifle. I suggest you seek out competent training and spend some time educating yourself on the topic. You've got the hardware, now focus on the software.

I consider the Daniel Defense an upper grade product. It is on my short list of recommendations. Within the upper grade quality spectrum, the difference can become minor differences or preferences. Similar to Ford vs Chevy pickup trucks or Coke vs. Pepsi. Noveske also makes a good product, although some may argue that the quality of the product is not what it was when the founder, John Noveske was still alive.

I do not think you will wake up a month from now and decide that your new Daniel Defense rifle is a piece of junk. Far from it.

People on topic specific forums enjoy debating the differences and the pros/cons of just about every possible difference on the topic. The same thing happens on knife forums, flashlight forums ect. Don't get too caught up in the arguing.

As to round counts and parts replacement, there are a lot of factors to consider. A suppressor can decrease the service life of some parts. How the rifle was shot can have some effect on service life of some parts. For example shooting 300 rounds at a slow and methodical manner is not as hard on the gun as loading up 10 magazines and doing a 300 round mag dump shooting as fast as you can.

SE Flyer
07-27-17, 08:55
Hello everyone,

Welcome, but a question. Why did you purchase the rifle and THEN ask about it's quality? I've seen many new owners buy a rifle and then go plastering the various gun forums asking for an affirmation of their purchase.

Stickman
07-27-17, 11:12
Hello everyone,

I would consider DD to be one of the higher quality manufacturers on the market. Remember, there is more to the weapon than just the specs listed, the assembly and proper selection of parts is very important.

Noveske Rifleworks was built by John Noveske to be simply the best weapon available to guys using the weapon system to do God work. While it isn't the same company as it was when John was alive, the weapon fills a different niche than a BCM.

Poec9090
07-27-17, 18:15
Welcome, but a question. Why did you purchase the rifle and THEN ask about it's quality? I've seen many new owners buy a rifle and then go plastering the various gun forums asking for an affirmation of their purchase.

Simply worry and wanted more confirmination.. lol. Many ppl so far says I'm on the right track. I don't take what gunshops say most of the time. Most just seems to care about sales. I have a lot of training and experience with handguns and that's it. The AR platform is new to me even though I've shot other ARs that I don't own myself. So, now I'm actually studying the product, quality and durability.

I was considering the SAINT as my first rifle. I liked how it felt compared to something like the S&W sport ii. After sitting down and studying different manufacturers, parts and quality control I learned that I would be best to buy just one and be done. If I bought the SAINT I would have made upgrades that would cost as much as buying the DD or more. Daniel Defence stuck out to me. I considered Bravo Comany Mod 2 but I liked how the DD felt and I know that they have excellent customer service.

I tried studying the noveske. The model I was looking at seemed just the same to me except they focused a lot on accuracy. Myself personally I would just use a bolt gun if I cared about getting good accuracy. Their rifle was nice but I did not feel like paying $1000 more for a product that seemed to pretty much have the same parts durability as the DD unless I missed something. I also know they have been around for a good while longer which is another reason for a bigger price tag.

Caduceus
07-27-17, 19:04
The Saint would be a decent low-mid grade, while the Sport II is arguably the best of the low grade. So good job with DD, though they seem more botique to me than BCM or Colt (kind of like a Corvette vs using a Charger). Certainly more than adequate.

Don't knock accuracy of the platform, a good bullet and free float barrel can do sub MOA.

Poec9090
07-27-17, 20:39
The Saint would be a decent low-mid grade, while the Sport II is arguably the best of the low grade. So good job with DD, though they seem more botique to me than BCM or Colt (kind of like a Corvette vs using a Charger). Certainly more than adequate.

Don't knock accuracy of the platform, a good bullet and free float barrel can do sub MOA.

That's why I chose the V7. I'm actually just now studying ammo. Trying to determine what's best for HD and training. There is a lot of options. I am planing on running a suppressor eventually but not at the moment.

Caduceus
07-28-17, 18:29
Cheap for training, i like wolf gold or PPU or pmc bronze.

For social encounters, most recommend a bonded round, though several are less accurate than others.

If you were near me I'd let you try a few different ones to see what your rifle likes, so pm if you're in ky.

ScottsBad
07-28-17, 19:40
That's why I chose the V7. I'm actually just now studying ammo. Trying to determine what's best for HD and training. There is a lot of options. I am planing on running a suppressor eventually but not at the moment.

Wolf Gold, Magtech CBC 62gr, MEN 55gr, PMC XTAC, really any reasonably priced brass cased XM193 or M855 clone. Not PMC Bronze, however. It is weak ammo.

Wake27
07-28-17, 22:09
PMC Bronze is weak but it should run in any decent gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nightchief
07-29-17, 02:32
PMC Bronze is weak but it should run in any decent gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like running PMC Bronze in a suppressed SBR. GECO 223 also.

I'll second the CBC 62 gr...very nice. Quite accurate for mil grade fmj too. I've been quite happy with the CBC 55 and 62 gr ball ammo.

NC

_Stormin_
07-29-17, 05:34
For training ammo there are some amazing deals out there right now...

PMC, Wolf Gold, and CBC/MagTech all currently sit in my bulk ammo boxes. I would say that the CBC is my favorite due to the packaging available right now. SG has got thousand round cans for less than Wolf Gold right now.

For home defense you're going to get a whole lot of different advice. A lot of that is going to have to deal with the size of your home, the size of your property (or lack thereof if you live in a modern subdivision), and if you have family in other rooms. I moved recently and had to reevaluate. The first thing that I can reach should something " go bump in the night" is a pistol with a quality light on it (bedside). The second is a 12 gauge with a light (rack behind the headboard). The third is a rifle with a light (storage compartment at the foot of the bed). There might be some disagreement, but the effectiveness of those weapons in the space that I am limited to matters to me. The rifle is the "third best" tool for the job, in the space that I need to work in. Consider your space and what's in it.

Wake27
07-29-17, 12:15
Ammo right now is stupid cheap. I started shooting when Obama was in office so this is the cheapest I've ever seen it. Sadly I can't take full advantage because I have to move soon and will probably need to put more in my jeep than just thousands of rounds of ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vicious_cb
07-29-17, 13:16

Don't make the mistake of trying to find a round that does both or you will end up with ammo that's too expensive to regularly train with and has mediocre terminal ballistics. Buy a few hundred rounds of HD/Duty ammo, zero with that and check for function. Then buy a shit ton of cheapest ammo that will function in your gun and shoot A LOT.

noonesshowmonkey
07-29-17, 18:16
Meat-ammo is generally Mk318, Mk262, TSX, or some of the LE specific ammo like the 64gr gold dot or 62gr open tipped ZQ3314 that the FBI ordered. You can find over-run ammo of stuff like the ZQ3314 or M193. IMI makes pretty affordable Mk262 clones.

For plinking, any of the ammo mentioned earlier in the thread is just fine. Getting milspec / milsurp 55gr is pretty easy.

If you're engaging minute-of-man, the point of impact shift that occurs between lighter 55gr target ammo and the heavier stuff like the 77gr OTM Mk262 won't be that big of a deal until you really stretch the ranges out. I keep a case or so of 55gr training ammo around and a few magazines filled with meat-ammo.

The DDM4 is a great base rifle. Grab yourself a sling, whitelight, and an optic.

Poec9090
07-29-17, 21:07
Meat-ammo is generally Mk318, Mk262, TSX, or some of the LE specific ammo like the 64gr gold dot or 62gr open tipped ZQ3314 that the FBI ordered. You can find over-run ammo of stuff like the ZQ3314 or M193. IMI makes pretty affordable Mk262 clones.

For plinking, any of the ammo mentioned earlier in the thread is just fine. Getting milspec / milsurp 55gr is pretty easy.

If you're engaging minute-of-man, the point of impact shift that occurs between lighter 55gr target ammo and the heavier stuff like the 77gr OTM Mk262 won't be that big of a deal until you really stretch the ranges out. I keep a case or so of 55gr training ammo around and a few magazines filled with meat-ammo.

The DDM4 is a great base rifle. Grab yourself a sling, whitelight, and an optic.

What exactly is considered a base rifle? Where does it jump from being base to something different?

Also, thanks for the heads up on ammo!

Caduceus
07-29-17, 21:11
Base just means a starting point
Before adding optics, sling, etc.