PDA

View Full Version : Which AR is the most reliable and best for me?

sandpacker21
10-04-08, 08:35
I will start out by saying im a new member here and no next to nothing about an AR! I do own lots of rifles ect. My first question is im looking at 3 different AR's. The first is a Colt Match 223 not new but in like new condition with a regualr stock. The next is a NIB Bushmaster in 223 with a colapable stock which I love the looks of. Last but not least is a NIB S&W in 5.56 which im told will fire 223 with no trouble with a colasable stock which again i love. Reliabilty wise and value wise which is best for me. I will be doing mosty plinking and maybe more with this rifle later.. Colt is 1200.00 Smith is about a Grand so is the Bushmaster. Which one any advice... Now for me im starting to lean towards the S&W because I can shoot 223 or 5.56..

Cold Zero
10-04-08, 08:38
I would recomend:

Colt
Noveski
L.M.T.
C.D.

You will have less issues with the above and have better resale than your other options.

Cohibra45
10-04-08, 08:43
Welcome,

First of all, any carbine/rifle that is chambered for the 5.56 NATO can also shoot the .223 Rem. But not the other way around!!!

For me, the decision is more along the lines of what you want/need the rifle for??? If it is going to be used for plinking mostly, then get what you want. If you have an eye towards the future for resale, then, the Colt will hold it's value better. All three make good reliable rifles, but for me, if it is just a couple hundred dollars, I would lean more towards the Colt.

Spurholder
10-04-08, 09:17
Greetings!

I recommend that you take a look at these two threads to start:

Click:

HERE (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376)

and HERE (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642)

There's more good info at this site than anywhere else on the 'Net. You might want to read a few threads first, and try using the search engine for any initial questions.

Hope this helps, and again, welcome to M4C!

nsabjg
10-04-08, 09:21
I say build one the way that you want it the first time.
Unless you want a stock rifle. You can buy a stripped lower,or one that has the parts installed. There are dealers on this site with some good pricing. Then get the upper the way you want it. Shoot a few different rifles so you get an idea of what you want. Rail no rail etc. Then like the rest of us as soon as you build what you think you want there will be a change or there will be a new part that comes out. Buy quality the first, and every time.

austinN4
10-04-08, 12:03
Smith is about a Grand...........
5.56/.223 question already answered. Depending on which model S&W M&P, $1,000 may be low or it may be high. Grant at G&R sells the 15A FOR $870: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4782

C4IGrant
10-04-08, 12:32
BCM 16" Middy
LMT BCG
Charging Handle
LMT lower

Package price under $1k.

Very reliable and high quality.

C4

sandpacker21
10-04-08, 14:27
Thanks for all the advice for the new guy. I will look into and read everthing. To the person who said the M&PA it was the M&P A I looked at it was actully 940.00 and about 1000.00 OTD. The dealer did say hed throw me in a extra 20 round mag if i bout the S&W. I may can find it a little cheaper but the place im looking at will let me layit away for 6months if need be. I did love the Colt the only thing is the dealer im looking at only has it in .223

GONIF
10-04-08, 14:42
+1 for Grant's sugestion ,can't go wrong with that setup. :D

28_days
10-04-08, 15:58
Thanks for all the advice for the new guy. I will look into and read everthing. To the person who said the M&PA it was the M&P A I looked at it was actully 940.00 and about 1000.00 OTD. The dealer did say hed throw me in a extra 20 round mag if i bout the S&W. I may can find it a little cheaper but the place im looking at will let me layit away for 6months if need be. I did love the Colt the only thing is the dealer im looking at only has it in .223

Do yourself a favor and go with Grant's suggestion.

jchen012
10-04-08, 16:06
Go with a midlength setup. Seems like it is the trend these days. And the upper from BCM is your best bang for your buck.

7.62NATO
10-04-08, 16:21

C4IGrant
10-04-08, 16:57
Grant, how do I get on your list for a BCM BCG? Thanks.

Send me an e-mail.

C4

Whytep38
10-04-08, 19:05
If yer gonna spend about a grand on an AR, ya gotta go with the guy who has the best advice, which would be ...

BCM 16" Middy
LMT BCG
Charging Handle
LMT lower

Package price under $1k.

Very reliable and high quality.

C4

No.6
10-04-08, 19:34
+1 more for Grant's suggestion.
Only advantage to the Colt is if you don't like it, you can probably resell it for closer to what you paid for it.

maximus83
10-05-08, 02:03
A Sabre middy upper along with the other suggested parts (LMT lower, BCM BCG, etc.), would also be a great choice.

flyboy1788
10-06-08, 18:24
I would recomend:

Colt
Noveski
L.M.T.
C.D.

You will have less issues with the above and have better resale than your other options.

No offense to C.D. I hear they make fantastic AR's, but i couldnt imagine they have a fantastic resale value. Also, they havent even been on the market long enough to be judged in the same sentence as colt and LMT.

Cold Zero
10-06-08, 18:52
No offense to C.D. I hear they make fantastic AR's, but i couldnt imagine they have a fantastic resale value. Also, they havent even been on the market long enough to be judged in the same sentence as colt and LMT.

Where did Sandpacker21 say that resale value was a factor that he was considering?

He did ask for "value wise" and in my opinion the C.D. wins that hands down, whether they open their doors today, or have been around for a long time. They make a quality product and are worthy of consideration. That is why they are listed on the chart and their products are selling well.

flyboy1788
10-06-08, 19:07
Where did Sandpacker21 say that resale value was a factor that he was considering?

He did ask for "value wise" and in my opinion the C.D. wins that hands down, whether they open their doors today, or have been around for a long time. They make a quality product and are worthy of consideration. That is why they are listed on the chart and their products are selling well.

Sandpacker did not say that, you did.(I even quoted you). Value wise, perhaps CD would be better when buying new, but i just said I dont think their resale value would be that good. I could be wrong. Also, I would rather buy a product after it has been out a couple years no matter what the initial reviews are, but thats just my opinion

Cold Zero
10-06-08, 19:17
O.K., the Colt, Noveski and L.M.T. will have better resale value than the C.D. and for that matter, the S. & W. and Bushmaster that Sandpacker 21 had mentioned. I will not quote him.

Other things that we also know, The S.& W. and Bushmaster will have roughly the same resale a C.D., even though the C.D. is much better quality. Happy now?

F.Y.I., Likely Charles Daly has been in the firearms business longer than you have been alive.

flyboy1788
10-06-08, 19:26
O.K., the Colt, Noveski and L.M.T. will have better resale value than the C.D. and for that matter, the S. & W. and Bushmaster that Sandpacker 21 had mentioned. I will not quote him.

Other things that we also know, The S.& W. and Bushmaster will have roughly the same resale a C.D., even though the C.D. is much better quality. Happy now?

F.Y.I., Likely Charles Daly has been in the firearms business longer than you have been alive.

Well said, much better this time;). But just because they've been around for more than 20 years doesnt mean they havent had their share of problems and produced some questionable quality firearms in the past and developed a somewhat negative rep because of that.(not reffering to their AR-15s BTW)

Cohibra45
10-06-08, 21:18
If it were me, I would seriously consider the LMT standard with SOPMOD stock. That stock is well worth the extra money, especially when it is only $15 more than the standard LMT with the Gen 2 stock!!!;)

Check out this link: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19939

Great picture of LMT standard with SOPMOD!!!