PDA

View Full Version : So Kid Rock Is Running For U.S. Senate In Michigan.

Big A
07-28-17, 15:07
Like the title says, Kid Rock the musician is running for the U.S. Senate in Michigan:

https://www.kidrockforsenate.com/

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/07/23/kid-rock-run-senate-serious-michigan-analysis-215408

And he's 4 points ahead in the polls:
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/07/25/kid-rock-4-points-ahead-in-race-for-michigan-senate-seat-poll-says.html

Honestly, I would vote for the man. Too bad he's not running in Florida :(

Doc Safari
07-28-17, 15:12
I watched an interview with him on some program. Assuming he's not just acting the part, he's a down-home guy that sounds like he's as sick of the political system as we are. IIRC he's pro-2A as well, although I got interrupted during that part of the interview so I didn't catch if he believes in it as strongly as we do.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-28-17, 15:15
Veteran too. I'd vote for him. They put Al Franken in the senate, why not an entertainer with some real talent?

SomeOtherGuy
07-28-17, 15:15
Basically look up "Idiocracy" on youtube and it's a preview of the next decade of politics.

Michigan could really use a better senator than the people we have now, but I don't think Kid Rock is it.

Todd.K
07-28-17, 16:00
All I want to know is if he has President Camacho's endorsement...

But for real, at this point what do we have to loose?

skywalkrNCSU
07-28-17, 16:26
Honestly, I would vote for the man. Too bad he's not running in Florida :(

Too bad he isn't running in Florida, that would be the one of the most Florida things to ever happen

26 Inf
07-28-17, 16:26
Seriously, some of you would consider voting for that douchebag?

I mean really, naming yourself/going by 'Kid Rock' ought to seal the deal in the negative.

WickedWillis
07-28-17, 16:35
Veteran too. I'd vote for him. They put Al Franken in the senate, why not an entertainer with some real talent?

I can't find anything about him being a vet.

26 Inf
07-28-17, 16:42
I can't find anything about him being a vet.

Well, he was kinda in an army: Ritchie eventually ran away to Mt. Clemens at 15 and stayed with his friend Chris Pouncy. During this time sold drugs out of a car wash at which he worked, for a local drug gang known as the "Best Friends".

Yep, just what we need, trailer trash that made it big on rap.

tb-av
07-28-17, 16:45

I mean really, naming yourself/going by 'Kid Rock' ought to seal the deal in the negative.

Do you know how he got that name?

He's actually a pretty cool guy. He's also just about the only super star musician that will work with the music industry to put on shows for $20 a ticket for his fans. He has to sign a load of NDAs so no one really knows where the money normally goes, but he gets it done.

If you think he's another Ted Nugent, he's not.

Kid Rock is the right age. He's pretty well done with his wild man persona and associated antics. He got burned by Pamela Anderson and that Hollywood scene. He's an outspoken Republican. He's definitely 2A friendly. He's got a built-in fan voter base.

OR... people could just vote the same old song and dance routine guy.... I forget, which one is it that's not a douchebag?

223to45
07-28-17, 17:04
If he replaces a dem , does it matter if he is right or not.

His latest you tube video, PO-DUNK, dems will use that one against him.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tb-av
07-28-17, 17:36
dems will use that one against him.

Anyone looking for something controversial and Non-PC from Kid Rock is like looking for ink on a news paper. The problem is he grew up in Detroit, bridged the black / white gap, rose to the top while Detroit fell to the bottom and is a world wide sensation. Black, white, rich, poor, rocker, rapper, and most of all independent. He would be another just like Trump that can't be bought. He will tell you, and has told interviewers, he is loaded and can do whatever he wants. That house and property in the PO-DUNK video is his. I would bet all those people in that video are his friends, and band of course.

He's certainly a hard working businessman. So if you could have a representative that had succeeded in business and still lives the life you live, why is it again that you one would want to re-elect some career politician. Is it because their clothes are nice?

Hell, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat over most choices I've ever had.

bear13
07-28-17, 17:41
Kid Rock does so much for Michigan. People do not understand. He helps families at Christmas time also. He is a legit good dude. He lived right by me for awhile. Dude pays to get his driveway plowed, guy plows said driveway. Kid Rock is out there with a snow shovel, shoveling his sidewalk. Tells the dude just stay in the truck I got this. Idk how he would be as a senator. But He cares about the state and the people. He also cares about our freedoms. So yeah, ill vote for him in a heartbeat. Please beat out one of these Dems we have that are a actual joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honu
07-28-17, 17:48
I watched an interview with him on some program. Assuming he's not just acting the part, he's a down-home guy that sounds like he's as sick of the political system as we are. IIRC he's pro-2A as well, although I got interrupted during that part of the interview so I didn't catch if he believes in it as strongly as we do.

watched something like this with him and then a few more seems genuine and I was never into his music but would vote for him in a second these days :)

is he trash ? well maybe he is trailer trash that made it big so I guess your background is with you for life from the lefties here they must be perfect I mean look at the clintons they are squeaky clean or others who say things and back out of it

he seems to say what he says and lives with it ?

again compraed to others this guy over current would be a win

tb-av
07-28-17, 18:13
is he trash ? well maybe he is trailer trash that made it big so I guess your background is with you for life

He's from a middle class family in a middle class neighborhood and by his words his father was a successful man. He's a middle class white dude that was into hip hop as a kid and set out to stake his claim in that scene.

soulezoo
07-28-17, 18:20
I believe he worked with Eminem at some point as well.
I'd vote for him.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-28-17, 18:23
Kid Rock and Eminem are both from Detroit. Must be something in the water to protect them from being Vanilla Iced.

Big A
07-28-17, 18:28

Well, he was kinda in an army: Ritchie eventually ran away to Mt. Clemens at 15 and stayed with his friend Chris Pouncy. During this time sold drugs out of a car wash at which he worked, for a local drug gang known as the "Best Friends".

Yep, just what we need, trailer trash that made it big on rap.This line of thinking is part of why he will win. Like many current politicians you are out of touch with the current working class voter base that he appeals to. You look at his past misdeeds and judge him solely on those while ignoring the postive things he has done since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

26 Inf
07-28-17, 18:33
This line of thinking is part of why he will win. Like many current politicians you are out of touch with the current working class voter base that he appeals to. You look at his past misdeeds and judge him solely on those while ignoring the postive things he has done since.

You know, you are right, I know jack shit about him aside from I don't care for his persona. From what has been posted by a few of you I need to STFU and practice what I preach.

Thanks for making me reflect.

Big A
07-28-17, 19:13
You know, you are right, I know jack shit about him aside from I don't care for his persona. From what has been posted by a few of you I need to STFU and practice what I preach.

Thanks for making me reflect.Not saying you need to STFU, just learn more about the man if you're so inclined. His Kid Rock persona is just that, a persona. His music has changed over the years since his debut album, Devil Without A Cause, and it reflects some of his own life changes. Again he appeals to a large base of blue collar working class voters because he seems much more Country than Hollywood like most celebrities.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Bulletdog
07-28-17, 19:25
I met and worked with him around 20 years ago. When he was introduced to me he had a Budweiser in his left hand and a cigarette and Budweiser in the right hand. He was hitting all three with amazing dexterity for how stoned he was. He was also a nice guy, although verrrry relaxed and kicked back about things. Polite, respectful and courteous despite, or perhaps because of, his state of inebriation on the job.

I don't think I'd use him as a role model for my child, but even without having any way of knowing, I'm sure he's matured in the last 20 years. I do like his politics and I would vote for him over Pelosi, Feinswine, anyone named Clinton, Schumer, Leland Yee, etc… Even with his faults and past transgressions, I would much rather have him running the government that most of the asshats that are sitting in those chairs now.

Moose-Knuckle
07-29-17, 05:27
We've had Sonny Bono and Al Franken . . . it's about time for a rocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt84J7U75e0

Honu
07-29-17, 15:35
He's from a middle class family in a middle class neighborhood and by his words his father was a successful man. He's a middle class white dude that was into hip hop as a kid and set out to stake his claim in that scene.

no idea :) just someone else said he was trailer trash so he cant be a politician :)

docsherm
07-29-17, 16:51
Good for him. I look at it this way. No matter what he does if he gets elected he can't do worse than these two:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/77/Barack_Obama_and_Nancy_Pelosi_at_DNC_%281%29.jpg/800px-Barack_Obama_and_Nancy_Pelosi_at_DNC_%281%29.jpg

I say good luck. :dance3:

tb-av
07-29-17, 16:54
His music has changed over the years since his debut album, Devil Without A Cause, and it reflects some of his own life changes.

That's his fourth album. In perspective of politics, Kid Rock chilled out would be like Trump on the bus with Billy Bush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiCvWuLUR7E

After that go to 4:40 to 7:20 in this one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOE3ZkAk0T0

then the business man....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-AfVm-Bzto

I can't tell if he actually can run. Supposedly he has to file with FEC but some info points to only having days left to do so. This announcement mentions he will make a statement in 6 weeks.

Jul 26, 2017

When my name was thrown out there for US Senate I decided to launch kidrockforsenate.com. I was beyond overwhelmed with the response I received from community leaders, D.C. pundits, and blue-collar folks that are just simply tired of the extreme left and right bullshit. As part of the excitement surrounding this possible campaign, I decided to take a hard look to see if there was real support for me as a candidate and my message or if it was just because it was a fresh new news story. The one thing I've seen over and over is that although people are unhappy with the government, too few are even registered to vote or do anything about it. We have over a year left until an actual election, so my first order of business is to get people engaged and registered to vote while continuing to put out my ideas on ways to help working class people in Michigan and America all while still calling out these jackass lawyers who call themselves politicians.

During this time while exploring my candidacy for US Senate, I am creating a 501(c)(4) - a non-profit organization for the promotion of voter registration. Not only can I raise money for this critical cause, but I can help get people registered to vote at my shows. Since the announcement, the media has speculated this was a ploy to sell shirts or promote something. I can tell you, I have no problem selling Kid Rock shirts and yes, I absolutely will use this media circus to sell/promote whatever I damn well please (many other politicians are doing the same thing, they just feed you a bunch of bullshit about it). But either way, money raised at this time through the sale of merchandise associated with this very possible campaign will go towards our 'register to vote' efforts.

One thing is for sure though…The democrats are 'shattin’ in their pantaloons' right now…and rightfully so!

We will be scheduling a press conference in the next 6 weeks or so to address this issue amongst others, and if I decide to throw my hat in the ring for US Senate, believe me… it’s game on mthrfkers. -- Kid Rock

He claims he never starts a fight he doesn't expect to win.

ramairthree
07-29-17, 17:55
Ten years ago...
Would not have considered it.

Now,
I'll take a libertarian/right wingish party animal non Ivy League law school grad that made his own way in the world over the typical offerings.

The business as usual types can look for work elsewhere.
The hate America / want to destroy it types I will trade for guys like Kid Rock in a heartbeat.

Korgs130
07-29-17, 18:08
My old Herc squadron flew Kid Rock around Afghanistan during his USO tour about 10 years ago. To a person everyone I know that got to hang out with him while flying said that he was gracious, humble and just a good guy in general. Couple that with his blue collar conservative values...I would vote for him in a second.

Campbell
07-30-17, 05:50
Ten years ago...
Would not have considered it.

Now,
I'll take a libertarian/right wingish party animal non Ivy League law school grad that made his own way in the world over the typical offerings.

The business as usual types can look for work elsewhere.
The hate America / want to destroy it types I will trade for guys like Kid Rock in a heartbeat.

Exactly where I am at also

JoshNC
07-30-17, 10:18
He is reportedly very pro-2A and collects transferable MGs. That is enough of a lithmus test for me.

JoshNC
07-30-17, 10:18
Double tap

HKGuns
07-30-17, 11:15
He will probably win. My litmus test is very similar to above, except I will no longer vote for anyone with a law degree. Trying to keep it very simple. They are all over educated cowards who are into self promotion, relying on their "credentials" when in fact they have accomplished little to nothing when you look closely at their lives.

Credentials nor a law degree equate to leadership or the ability to make a decision that respects the constitution.

Moose-Knuckle
07-31-17, 04:42
Credentials nor a law degree equate to leadership or the ability to make a decision that respects the constitution.

I always presumed the reason why so many elected officials went the law degree route is that they found it advantageous and provided them the insight how to skirt around the law.

Hence both Barrack and Michelle Obama and Bill and Hillary Clinton all obtained law degrees.

26 Inf
07-31-17, 12:54
If you are interested in being a politician, seems to me a law degree would come in mighty handy in understanding and crafting legislation, plus a nice fall back for when things don't work out.

I'd like to see the IQ scores of Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, and James Mattis.

In terms of intellect, I believe Obama and Clinton were the two brightest Presidents that have held office since I've been cognizant of the office. (That is not an endorsement of their politics.)

That being said, I'd be willing to bet that Mattis would be first or second on the IQ list.

Big A
07-31-17, 13:21
Speaker of the House: "The Gentleman from Michigan will remove his American flag bandanna from his head while in this chamber."

Senator Kid Rock: "Make Me."

soulezoo
07-31-17, 13:21
If you are interested in being a politician, seems to me a law degree would come in mighty handy in understanding and crafting legislation, plus a nice fall back for when things don't work out.

In terms of intellect, I believe Obama and Clinton were the two brightest Presidents that have held office since I've been cognizant of the office. (That is not an endorsement of their politics.)

That being said, I'd be willing to bet that Mattis would be first or second on the IQ list.
I recall an article on the 20 most intelligent presidents not long ago. Obama did not make the list at all. Clinton, IIRC, was 4th. Behind John Quincy Adams, Thomas Jefferson and JFK.
Nixon and George H.W. Bush made the list.

Big A
07-31-17, 13:29

A bunch of lawyers gave us Obabmacare. Now a different bunch of lawyers can't figure out how to get rid of it...

Moose-Knuckle
07-31-17, 13:38
In terms of intellect, I believe Obama and Clinton were the two brightest Presidents that have held office since I've been cognizant of the office.

This explains so much.

skywalkrNCSU
07-31-17, 14:11
A bunch of lawyers gave us Obabmacare. Now a different bunch of lawyers can't figure out how to get rid of it...

I'm sure a hip hop/rock musician would surely understand the intricacies of the medical and health insurance fields enough to come up with quality legislation.

Jer
07-31-17, 14:14
Speaker of the House: "The Gentleman from Michigan will remove his American flag bandanna from his head while in this chamber."

Senator Kid Rock: "Make Me."
I can't tell you how much I love envisioning this & just how American it makes me feel. At least 30x more American than anything that treasonous traitor McSame made me feel at any point during his political career.

Comacho/Rock 2020!

Big A
07-31-17, 14:29
I'm sure a hip hop/rock musician would surely understand the intricacies of the medical and health insurance fields enough to come up with quality legislation.

Keep voting for lawyers if you feel so inclined. I personally have decided to count being a lawyer or doctor as a strike against a candidate for political office. I'll vote for a self-made businessman every time over a lawyer or doctor.

If we don't get some new blood in the senate from different walks of life than what we've been sending why should we expect shit to change?

glocktogo
07-31-17, 14:40

Respectfully, this is the type of thinking that got us where we are today. :(

SomeOtherGuy
07-31-17, 14:43
I recall an article on the 20 most intelligent presidents not long ago. Obama did not make the list at all. Clinton, IIRC, was 4th. Behind John Quincy Adams, Thomas Jefferson and JFK.
Nixon and George H.W. Bush made the list.

Unclear basis:
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-15-smartest-us-presidents-of-all-time-2015-3?op=1/#thomas-jefferson-14

Amusing but reported as a hoax:
http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~gary/iq.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Presidential_IQ_hoax

My 2 cents - none of the post-WW2 presidents have had an IQ over 160. Clinton may have been relatively smart, though I'm sure his intelligence has declined significantly in the past 20 years. The claims of people in the 170's are silly. IQs that high are extremely rare, and someone who had both that IQ and basic political skill would be nearly unstoppable.

For amusement:
https://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/IQtable.aspx

My other 2 cents - Obama is not actually all that smart, and instead benefits from a variety of biases and favorable media coverage. George H.W. Bush is probably the next smartest (after Clinton) president of the last 40+ years, shame his son didn't benefit from that.

Gen. Mattis appears to be very smart from what I've read about him. I don't think he's quite as smart as Bill Clinton in his prime, but is probably smarter than 2017 Bill Clinton, and probably ahead of all the other presidents of the last 40+ years.

skywalkrNCSU
07-31-17, 14:51
Respectfully, this is the type of thinking that got us where we are today. :(

I'm not saying we should only vote for lawyers but it is moronic to say you shouldn't vote for a lawyer without considering what the person has actually done and what they stand for and then swing in the totally opposite direction and then some rock star is the answer.

How about take it on a case by case basis and not just broadly judge someone based on the fact that they are educated? I know nuance is dead here but this has to been one of the stupidest arguments I have seen.

26 Inf
07-31-17, 15:02
This explains so much.

Well, you did leave of the last part of my post in order to make the point you wanted. Typical, never let facts interfere with a dogmatic belief.

Otherwise, touche. :cool:

glocktogo
07-31-17, 15:14
I'm not saying we should only vote for lawyers but it is moronic to say you shouldn't vote for a lawyer without considering what the person has actually done and what they stand for and then swing in the totally opposite direction and then some rock star is the answer.

How about take it on a case by case basis and not just broadly judge someone based on the fact that they are educated? I know nuance is dead here but this has to been one of the stupidest arguments I have seen.

I should stipulate that not all lawyers are devoid of common sense, apparently just the ones who would also seek political office at the national level? One of our area congresscritters is a highly successful business owner, but as a pol he's pretty mediocre at best. He's too focused on religious "conservatism" and not the limited .gov/fiscal conservatism we really need. I might vote for a small "l"awyer who's a large "C"onservative over him.

Probably a better mental exercise would be to develop an ordered list of traits that make a good candidate for Congress. Take stellar examples from history and determine what it was that made them stand out in a good way, then aggregate those traits for a snapshot of what it takes to be good in that role.

One thing I like about KR is that he seems to put his time, money and energy where his mouth is, and he hasn't done it all this time just because he was checking boxes off for higher office. That's not something you could say about an esteemed attorney such as say, Lindsey Graham?

26 Inf
07-31-17, 16:50
Probably a better mental exercise would be to develop an ordered list of traits that make a good candidate for Congress. Take stellar examples from history and determine what it was that made them stand out in a good way, then aggregate those traits for a snapshot of what it takes to be good in that role.

One thing I like about KR is that he seems to put his time, money and energy where his mouth is, and he hasn't done it all this time just because he was checking boxes off for higher office. That's not something you could say about an esteemed attorney such as say, Lindsey Graham?

One of the most important traits to me would be 'selfless service' - doing whats right regardless of personal cost.

In that regard, one thing that might be appropriate to consider when talking about folks putting their 'money where there mouth is' are the actual costs or benefits to the person doing the putting.

I don't know how much actual effort it takes to be a rock star, or a politician for that matter, but I'm sure that anything those folks do, whether it be volunteering, donating, performing for charity, etc. has some write-off.

HKGuns
07-31-17, 18:47
Unclear basis:
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-15-smartest-us-presidents-of-all-time-2015-3?op=1/#thomas-jefferson-14

Amusing but reported as a hoax:
http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~gary/iq.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Presidential_IQ_hoax

My 2 cents - none of the post-WW2 presidents have had an IQ over 160. Clinton may have been relatively smart, though I'm sure his intelligence has declined significantly in the past 20 years. The claims of people in the 170's are silly. IQs that high are extremely rare, and someone who had both that IQ and basic political skill would be nearly unstoppable.

For amusement:
https://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/IQtable.aspx

My other 2 cents - Obama is not actually all that smart, and instead benefits from a variety of biases and favorable media coverage. George H.W. Bush is probably the next smartest (after Clinton) president of the last 40+ years, shame his son didn't benefit from that.

Gen. Mattis appears to be very smart from what I've read about him. I don't think he's quite as smart as Bill Clinton in his prime, but is probably smarter than 2017 Bill Clinton, and probably ahead of all the other presidents of the last 40+ years.

It doesn't take a high IQ to be President.

HKGuns
07-31-17, 18:55
Keep voting for lawyers if you feel so inclined. I personally have decided to count being a lawyer or doctor as a strike against a candidate for political office. I'll vote for a self-made businessman every time over a lawyer or doctor.

If we don't get some new blood in the senate from different walks of life than what we've been sending why should we expect shit to change?

This is exactly where I am on this subject.

Pure intellect is purely useless.

Todd.K
07-31-17, 19:08

And a federal agent is the only one who can safely handle a firearm, just ask Lee Paige...

skywalkrNCSU
07-31-17, 19:40
And a federal agent is the only one who can safely handle a firearm, just ask Lee Paige...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Averageman
07-31-17, 19:49
I would guess it would depend more upon the Individual than the occupation.
As of late the legal profession has seem to have let us down a bit. I had hopes that a business man would be more practical, but lately Trump's efforts no matter how well intended and "Better than Hillary" he may be, things are now a bit of a Side Show.
Regardless of the individuals who runs, an educated electorate is the best defense against the buffoonery we've seen over the last fifteen years.
I don't see that changing.

Moose-Knuckle
08-01-17, 05:42
Well, you did leave of the last part of my post in order to make the point you wanted.

For the record you said that the two most radical leftists presidents to ever hold office to date were the most intelligent. Has nothing to do with a point I was trying to make.

Typical, never let facts interfere with a dogmatic belief.

Speaking of typical and dogmatic beliefs, pot paging kettle . . . ;)

26 Inf
08-01-17, 11:45
For the record you said that the two most radical leftists presidents to ever hold office to date were the most intelligent. Has nothing to do with a point I was trying to make.

For the record - In terms of intellect, I believe Obama and Clinton were the two brightest Presidents that have held office since I've been cognizant of the office. (That is not an endorsement of their politics.)

Parenthesis count LOL

My being aware (cognizant) of the office of POTUS in order to assess intellect probably began in 1966, I was stating my belief from that point forward.

I also think Ted Kaczynski is a bright boy. Doesn't mean I'm going to be mailing you anything soon, though.

Speaking of typical and dogmatic beliefs, pot paging kettle . . . ;)

Have a good week. :)

Big A
08-01-17, 13:55

I didn't say I wouldn't vote for a lawyer, I said I count that as a strike against a candidate. If after all the primaries and run-off's the candidate that best represents my views, issues, etc, is a lawyer then I will vote for that person. Where did I say being educated was a bad thing in my post?

What Robert Richie has done is tapped into the angst of a segment of the electorate. He seems to think that he can represent the views and needs of the people he would serve in the senate. I don't know if he is the right answer but there seems to be enough people in Michigan wanting to give him a shot.

Big A
08-01-17, 13:56
I can't tell you how much I love envisioning this & just how American it makes me feel. At least 30x more American than anything that treasonous traitor McSame made me feel at any point during his political career.

Comacho/Rock 2020!

Not sure if serious....?

SomeOtherGuy
08-01-17, 15:07
What Robert Richie has done is tapped into the angst of a segment of the electorate. He seems to think that he can represent the views and needs of the people he would serve in the senate. I don't know if he is the right answer but there seems to be enough people in Michigan wanting to give him a shot.

I think we have reached the point where many people see the standard-politician options from both parties as being so totally useless, so totally corrupt, that a person with no relevant experience and a questionable personality for the role nonetheless looks like a better choice than the supposedly qualified, yet guaranteed useless and corrupt, mainstream option.

Does this describe anyone's voting decision last November? No need to raise hands...

Averageman
08-01-17, 15:19
I do believe he runs a pretty tight ship when on tour. Tickets are cheap and performances are on time and well done.
Now consider that this guy has fought the music Industry to make this happen. What you have here is an independent small business owner who was a multi millionaire before he was 35.
Hmmm.
So how many other folks presently at the helm in DC have been as shrewd?

Bulletdog
08-01-17, 15:25
I think we have reached the point where many people see the standard-politician options from both parties as being so totally useless, so totally corrupt, that a person with no relevant experience and a questionable personality for the role nonetheless looks like a better choice than the supposedly qualified, yet guaranteed useless and corrupt, mainstream option.

Does this describe anyone's voting decision last November? No need to raise hands...

This is a point I've pondered a lot in recent years. I feel like "our" side has no representation and there is no existing party for me to support. The left has a bevy of left leaning candidates who represent their progressive views and pursue their lefty communistic goals, but these people in office now calling themselves "Republicans" are some sort of new breed that I don't recognize. They don't represent my views and they don't pursue the things that I want done. They seem to represent "big" government and their own asses. I vote "R" to slow the "D"s down on their path to destroying our great country, but the "R"s really haven't been any better than the "D"s since the 80s with Reagan, who himself certainly wasn't perfect, but he was a long sight better than what we have now.

Both Bushes were feckless dolts that accomplished nothing toward giving our country back to "the people". They did a great job of getting us deeply mired into middle eastern affairs and passing the mis-named "Patriot Act". But did they do anything to reduce the size of this overbearing, over powerful, tyrannical government that is infringing upon our rights, lying to us every time they open their mouths, and doing everything they can to sink our ship?

If I have to vote for a narcissistic orange haired braggart and a formerly drunken rock star to get my country back on track, then so be it. I wish a better option would materialize. Why doesn't anybody want to follow the document that made this country great in the first place anymore? Where is the party that wants to tear down all this big government non-sense, excess taxation, and millions of pages of ridiculous, un-followable laws, and get back to doing what the Constitution of the United States of America says to do? Trump may not be a great guy, but he said, and is still saying, the right stuff. Sounds to me like Kid Rock is saying something pretty similar.

SomeOtherGuy
08-01-17, 17:00
Apologies in advance for giving your post the Ginsu / Clegane treatment.

This is a point I've pondered a lot in recent years. I feel like "our" side has no representation and there is no existing party for me to support. The left has a bevy of left leaning candidates who represent their progressive views and pursue their lefty communistic goals,

Funny thing is that if you look at the real, open, far left of optimistic hippie progressives - people who want socialism but not violence - you'll find that they hardly ever get what they want either. The Dems pay lip service to them much like Repubs do to us, and the D/R mainstream just do their own thing with no care about their supposed base. The Dems do just great with fickle moderate-left voters (divorced cat ladies and such) but not with people who would actually join, for example, the Green Party.

Now, the violent socialists/marxists are covertly getting what they want, but it's all masked with phony cries of justice, fairness, and the most repulsive and Orwellian term, "social justice."

My point is only that the major contrasting political views in the country are both being ignored.

but these people in office now calling themselves "Republicans" are some sort of new breed that I don't recognize. They don't represent my views and they don't pursue the things that I want done. They seem to represent "big" government and their own asses. I vote "R" to slow the "D"s down on their path to destroying our great country, but the "R"s really haven't been any better than the "D"s since the 80s with Reagan, who himself certainly wasn't perfect, but he was a long sight better than what we have now.
Both Bushes were feckless dolts that accomplished nothing toward giving our country back to "the people". They did a great job of getting us deeply mired into middle eastern affairs and passing the mis-named "Patriot Act". But did they do anything to reduce the size of this overbearing, over powerful, tyrannical government that is infringing upon our rights, lying to us every time they open their mouths, and doing everything they can to sink our ship?

Yes, all of that. It's also insightful to look at how little US foreign policy has changed between final Reagan years (1988-89), Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, and Obama. It's all the same foreign policy with minor changes in emphasis. We've been a warfare state since Bush 1 took effective control in Reagan's waning years.

If I have to vote for a narcissistic orange haired braggart and a formerly drunken rock star to get my country back on track, then so be it. I wish a better option would materialize. Why doesn't anybody want to follow the document that made this country great in the first place anymore? Where is the party that wants to tear down all this big government non-sense, excess taxation, and millions of pages of ridiculous, un-followable laws, and get back to doing what the Constitution of the United States of America says to do?

But voting for them isn't going to get the country back on track, as we're seeing since January. I think Trump had some sincere goals and tried, but has been stymied by an outright rebellion throughout the unelected federal government, as well as having had some views changed for him by various causes. (If Jared Kushner was abducted by aliens and never seen again, well I wouldn't spend too much time praying for his safe return.)

I think the federal system has reached an unstoppable inertia and no plausible leader is going to right the ship. Charles Hugh Smith ( http://www.oftwominds.com/ ) has some interesting writings on how bureaucratic and imperial systems grow, over-reach, and are unable to shrink in a controlled way.

Trump may not be a great guy, but he said, and is still saying, the right stuff. Sounds to me like Kid Rock is saying something pretty similar.

I was surprisingly in agreement with Trump's statements on the campaign trail. Post-inauguration he's about 50/50 for me. Seems like he's a neocon half the time, but not all the time. His personnel decisions could be MUCH better. But, without a doubt, Hillary would have been infinitely worse.

I don't want to sound fatalistic but I don't see a peaceful and orderly way that the existing 50 states + DC goes back to being a sound constitutional republic. The alt-right on one side, and the barely veiled marxists of "Antifa" and other Soros creations on another side, are two reactions to this. (I wouldn't call them opposites, just different. And before Euro chimes in, I'm going with my assessment of each, please skip the outrageous epithets.)

glocktogo
08-02-17, 00:12
It isn't like we haven't been warning them for years. Epicly low approval ratings, continual butt of jokes and late show host monologues, stereotypes, bumper stickers saying "Reelect No One", repeated calls for term limits, the list goes on. Our political class have come to believe they're untouchables, and for the most part they're not wrong.

The DC Elite are not concerned about what Trump says or does or might have done with the Russians or will do in Syria or North Korea. No, they're worried that Trump might actually be successful, and that more than anything scares them. If a political neophyte could become POTUS and actually do the job, it would undermine the entire political class and they can't even comprehend that concept. If you want to know why Republicans in the Senate and Congress could easily have enough votes to abolish the ACA when Obama would never sign it but now that Trump would sign it they cant? Reread this post and apply it to the GOP as much as you would to the Dems. They can no more afford Trump succeeding than the Dems.

That's the real tragedy of the next 1,267 days. :(

Todd.K
08-02-17, 08:42
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

A straw man requires me making up a position you did not. In order for me to argue against that position and not your actual position.

What I said was mocking in tone and compared another statement I find as ridiculous.

Ridicule is not proper debate, but it is not a straw man.

glocktogo
08-02-17, 11:17
This is a point I've pondered a lot in recent years. I feel like "our" side has no representation and there is no existing party for me to support. The left has a bevy of left leaning candidates who represent their progressive views and pursue their lefty communistic goals, but these people in office now calling themselves "Republicans" are some sort of new breed that I don't recognize. They don't represent my views and they don't pursue the things that I want done. They seem to represent "big" government and their own asses. I vote "R" to slow the "D"s down on their path to destroying our great country, but the "R"s really haven't been any better than the "D"s since the 80s with Reagan, who himself certainly wasn't perfect, but he was a long sight better than what we have now.

If I have to vote for a narcissistic orange haired braggart and a formerly drunken rock star to get my country back on track, then so be it. I wish a better option would materialize. Why doesn't anybody want to follow the document that made this country great in the first place anymore? Where is the party that wants to tear down all this big government non-sense, excess taxation, and millions of pages of ridiculous, un-followable laws, and get back to doing what the Constitution of the United States of America says to do? Trump may not be a great guy, but he said, and is still saying, the right stuff. Sounds to me like Kid Rock is saying something pretty similar.

Here's something I just posted on another forum in a thread about McCain's thumbs down on repealing the ACA.

You may or may not know this, but a few years back I decided to see what it might take to effect a change in the GOP from the grass roots. I went to the county party meetings. I got myself elected as a district chairperson. I got myself appointed to the platform committee and made several changes to the county platform that strengthened the stated support of gun rights. Some of those changes made their way into the state platform and I even went to the annual state meeting as a delegate.

The experience was NOT pleasant. What I observed was a system run by people who were very much intent on injecting religion into government to every extent possible, and that was the primary objective for many of them. I observed “leaders” in the party who would ignore the written GOP platform AND the COTUS if it meant more “law and order”, so-called patriotism and furthered the interests of the Chamber of Commerce (the secondary objective), along with a heaping dose of sanctimony. Other than the one other poor schlep who was there for the same reasons I was, these were people I wouldn’t want to spend any more time around than necessary. Now if it was that bad being around Republicans who at least pretended to conservative patriots, imagine how bad it would be with Democrats who don't!

Even if I was retired and had all the time in the world, I’m not sure I could tolerate that much BS in my life again. So I think you and I may think a lot more alike than not. My defense of Trump has less than nothing to do with my opinion of the man, which is actually pretty dim. It has everything to do with who he’s not, which is one of “them”. So whether it’s DJT or Kid Rock or some wino from under an overpass, I’d pretty much side with anyone who isn’t one of them. Those people are going to make tomorrow and all the days after that even worse than the days they’ve darkened since Ronnie Ray Gun was in the WH. We haven’t yet begun to see how dark they can make it. :(

SeriousStudent
08-02-17, 16:56
Let's stop talking about each other, and focus on the the Michigan Senate race, shall we?

Big A
08-07-17, 12:14
This video is a good take on why Kid Rock will likely win the Senate seat he is running for: (Caution, he says the word shit once.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JjQvdXoToE&t=35s

AKDoug
08-07-17, 23:45
This video is a good take on why Kid Rock will likely win the Senate seat he is running for: (Caution, he says the word shit once.) and a couple F-Bombs.. ;)

Averageman
08-08-17, 06:49
If nothing else, these guys will serve and then leave politics. I believe that was the spirit in which this public service was intended.

glocktogo
08-08-17, 08:09
If nothing else, these guys will serve and then leave politics. I believe that was the spirit in which this public service was intended.

Al Franken never left. Just sayin... :dirol:

Averageman
08-08-17, 08:21
I have a feeling that Al Franken was never one of "our guys" and doesn't give a hoot about the Constitution, the Founding Father's or why their intent matters when it comes to public service.

No, Al is pretty much a walking, breathing example of what those guys warned us about.