PDA

View Full Version : Does the stock Aimpoint M4 mount return to zero?

1022rimfire
10-04-08, 12:46
Hi All,
I am wondering if the stock Aimpoint M4 mount (with the large knob that prevents over tightening) return to zero well?

Anyone have any firsthand experience with this?

If I mark the position with enamel paint or otherwise ensure the position is consistent, will it return to zero/ minute-of-man?

C4IGrant
10-04-08, 13:34
Hi All,
I am wondering if the stock Aimpoint M4 mount (with the large knob that prevents over tightening) return to zero well?

Anyone have any firsthand experience with this?

If I mark the position with enamel paint or otherwise ensure the position is consistent, will it return to zero/ minute-of-man?

No repeat zero. You could get pretty close with a calibrated torque wrench though.

It is an OK mount IMHO. You would be much better served with either the LT or ADM mount.

C4

1022rimfire
10-04-08, 14:25
Oops! I posted in the wrong forum - my apologies.

Grant, thanks for the info!

Joe R.
10-04-08, 23:12
The M4 mount will return to with in 1 MOA of initial zero if placed on the same address on the rail. The knob is a self limiting torque knob. The demos I have seen and done bear this out.

PS: Fair disclosure, I am employed by Aimpoint as a Prostaff member.

PPGMD
10-05-08, 12:34
I've taken my Comp M4 off quite a few times for cleaning never had to rezero it once. The knob pretty much limits you to a certain amount of torque.

C4IGrant
10-05-08, 14:28
The M4 mount will return to with in 1 MOA of initial zero if placed on the same address on the rail. The knob is a self limiting torque knob. The demos I have seen and done bear this out.

I would agree with the 1MOA statement.

If people are content with that, then yes, it does repeat zero.

Nothing to do with you Joe, but I find it funny when pepole are shooting ammo only capable of 4 MOA out of a gun that is only capable of 2MOA shooting a dot that is 2MOA in size tell me that their optic repeats zero. How the world would you know??

C4

Cowtown556
10-05-08, 16:15
As long as it goes back in the same slot, mine does.

FJB
10-06-08, 00:06

Joe R.,
You are absolutely correct. I have done the demo of shooting a group at 200 yards using the Aimpoint QRPII mount, removing and throwing it across the range, having it thrown back and then shooting the same POA/POI.

S/F

BushmasterFanBoy
10-06-08, 19:32
Nothing to do with you Joe, but I find it funny when pepole are shooting ammo only capable of 4 MOA out of a gun that is only capable of 2MOA shooting a dot that is 2MOA in size tell me that their optic repeats zero. How the world would you know??
C4

I agree completely.
Often times customers have to take the manufacturers or a fellow board members word for it. This is when you know that information is just being rehashed, and isn't based on personal experience. I'm still not entirely certain if my two Aimpoints lying in LaRue mounts will keep their zero, but they seem too. I nearly always check my zero at fifty yards off of a bench at the start of a range trip.
It would be nice if a reputable board member with access to varying types of mounts could do some sort of documented testing (People LOVE pictures :D).

FJB
10-06-08, 21:56
Bushmaster,
your Aimpoint sights in LaRue Tactical mounts will hold and maintain zero extremely well. The factory QRPII is a good mount as are others but LT mounts are still the gold standard.

S/F

Stickman
10-07-08, 06:43
The ADM and Bobro mounts for the Comp M4 retain zero.

C4IGrant
10-07-08, 10:48
I agree completely.
Often times customers have to take the manufacturers or a fellow board members word for it. This is when you know that information is just being rehashed, and isn't based on personal experience. I'm still not entirely certain if my two Aimpoints lying in LaRue mounts will keep their zero, but they seem too. I nearly always check my zero at fifty yards off of a bench at the start of a range trip.
It would be nice if a reputable board member with access to varying types of mounts could do some sort of documented testing (People LOVE pictures :D).

You are somewhat correct in that some mounts might not actually repeat zero (especialling if you take them on and off a lot).

About the only way to check it is to shoot a high powered scope on a precision gun with quality ammo on a windless day. This will give you about the best idea.

Shooting a non-magnified optic with GI ammo out of a chrome lined AR will never tell you if something is returning to a PERFECT ZERO. They most likely will return to what I would call a "combat" zero (within .5-1MOA).

C4