PDA

View Full Version : modifications needed to make my Glock 21 USPSA/IDPA ready

Spike59
10-04-08, 13:07
I am new to competition shooting with a Glock. I have been shooting IPSC/ USPSA since the early 1980s but I shot a comp .45 and Browning HP. Now I own a Glock 21 and I don't know what modifications (if any) I need to make a dependable match pistol. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

cougar_guy04
10-04-08, 16:28
I assume you're shooting production/SSP? I'd say all you need is mags, Holster, Mag Pouches, Ammo, and a solid belt and run that thing until it begs for mercy. :D

I'm no expert on this by any means (just a lowly C-Class shooter), but I shot my G34 in competition for 6 months before I even touched anything on it. Only thing I wanted to change right away was the sights (I've got some Warren Tactical sights on there now, need to order an FO front). My G34 wears the following (in addition to the extended controls that came with it):

Warren Tactical Sights
LWD 3.5# Connector
LWD Overtravel Stop
Decal Grip
Wolff Competition Trigger Pak
Couple other polsihed components

I didn't really do any of those for reliability, but to make it a bit more shootable for me.

For USPSA, I use a CR Speed Belt, Blade-tech DOH holster, and (4) "Tactical Kydex" magazine pouches. If I decide to venture in to IDPA I think I'm going to run a Raven Concealment Systems holster and Comp-Tac mag holders with the 34. I'm getting a 17 as a gun for competition Back-up and for any classes I may take, but that will just see a set of Warren Tactical Night Sights and the LWD 3.5# connector.

Sam
10-04-08, 16:35
For IDPA, NONE.

JonInWA
10-06-08, 13:35
I'd replace the polymer sights (particularly the somewhat fragile front sight) with steel sights; the least expensive are Glock's steel sights, which cost only $10 per sight. There a plethora of excellent sights available-Novak, Trijicon, Aro-Tech, Heinie, Warren, etc. I've personally used the standard Glock sights and Trijicons with good results. The Glock sights have a large white dot front (good for quick pick-up), but narrow light bars (which take some getting used to, and can obscure large portions of the more distant targets).

I also replaced my slide release with the Glock extended slide release; the part for the G37 is normally a drop-in part for a G21.

You'll need three magazines, preferably "normal capacity."

Lube according to the manual; if yiou're knowledgeable, disassemble the receiver and lube the contact points on the triggerbar and connector (I recommend with TW25B).

Read the IDPA rulebook, and determine which division you want to shoot in before making any other modifications-several of Cougar's recommendations will take you out of Stock Service Pistol.

The inexpensive Glock Sport/Combat beltslide holster will work fine, as will the Glock polymer magazine pouches (if you go the Glock route, get 2 magazine pouches). Again, there are many excellent choices available-personally, I tend to prefer Blade Tech products (for both IDPA and carry).

Best, Jon

cougar_guy04
10-06-08, 19:42
Read the IDPA rulebook, and determine which division you want to shoot in before making any other modifications-several of Cougar's recommendations will take you out of Stock Service Pistol.
Which of my modifications bump me out of SSP? Is it the LWD connector/OT Stop or something else? I just ask because IDPA is newer to me than USPSA and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the different set of rules.

Paul45
10-06-08, 21:13
With a G21 you can shoot SSP, ESP or CDP in IDPA. USPSA it's L-10 or Limited. You can shoot it right out of the box or you can play with it. Read the rule books for the variations in classes but you are good to go will a holster (check restrictions) and mag holders. Get at least 5 mags.

gringop
10-07-08, 11:41
Which of my modifications bump me out of SSP? Is it the LWD connector/OT Stop or something else? I just ask because IDPA is newer to me than USPSA and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the different set of rules.

None of your mods will bump you out of SSP.
Grip tape/decals are ok, permanant grip mods are not.
Is your Overtravel Stop visible from the outside? If so, then it is not permitted and will bump you to ESP. If not, then you are good to go.

Gringop

JonInWA
10-07-08, 14:25
You nailed it, Gringop (and Paul45)-thanks.

Best, Jon