PDA

View Full Version : Budget $1,500-$1,700 what 16" AR should I purchase?

Wooohah
08-02-17, 12:37
I've got a budget of about $1,500-$1,700.
I'm looking for a more "general purpose" rifle that can do a bit of everything. I'm looking to be able to hit out to around 600M.
It'll have a 1-4x optic on it eventually.

What pre-built rifle do you guys recommend? I'm looking at options from BCM and Daniel Defense currently.
I'd like a pre-built because generally when it comes to anything custom... I kinda have bad luck.
Though I do have a build list for a rifle I put together a while ago.

Any suggestions/ ideas appreciated!

AR build list, cost ~1500-1600 w/o assembly cost

-AERO Precision stripped receiver set, anodized
-Midwest Industries SSM M-Lok 12" RIS
-YHM Machine flash hider (This may change)
-CCMG Lower Parts Kit
-Faxon Firearms 16" SOCOM Profile barrel
-Rainier Arms nickle Boron match grade BCG
-BCM/ Vltor mod 4 medium charging handle
-Magpul K2 Pistol grip
-Magpul ACS Carbine stock
-Magpul MBUS Gen 2
-Geiselle SSA-E Trigger
-V-Seven Titanium gas block .750
-Vltor buffer tube & spring/ guide
-BCM mid length gas tube

dcf1981
08-02-17, 12:52
Take a look at Sionics.

SomeOtherGuy
08-02-17, 12:57
Colt 6960:
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6960-CCU

It's a real Colt and meets all your needs. Leaves money for ammo or saving for that scope, also.

BCM and DD are both great options, as are LMT and some others, but at the moment, and for your uses, that Colt looks like a great deal.

Wooohah
08-02-17, 13:26
Id like to go with a higher end rifle currently. I already have a I'd say... "cheaper" rifle for me to beat up. I have a Troy already so buying a Colt wouldn't really be much of an upgrade.
I have money set aside for ammunition and about $600 for a scope.

NongShim
08-02-17, 13:38
Id like to go with a higher end rifle currently. I already have a I'd say... "cheaper" rifle for me to beat up. I have a Troy already so buying a Colt wouldn't really be much of an upgrade.

Yes it would. 6960 is the answer.

SomeOtherGuy
08-02-17, 13:42

Ummm... I'd rate a real Colt (69xx series, not the licensed "Colt Competition" cheap stuff) as an upgrade over most brands with the exceptions of KAC and LMT. Colt created the platform and has it thoroughly debugged. You may want to read some past threads for discussions of relative brands and what differences exist, even if they aren't flashy.

Anyway, make the rifle you want, it's a buyer's market.

Failure2Stop
08-02-17, 13:43
If you already have an AR, and have a $1700 budget, and want it to do things that your current rifle doesn't, why not take advantage of the inherent modularity of the platform and get a higher-end upper receiver?

Options from lots of places inside that budget that will get you pretty far.

I get it if you want to do a whole rifle, not trying to lecture.

pinzgauer
08-02-17, 13:49
In your list you are starting with Aero. Ok for clone, but that rifle will always be an Aero frankngun.

Start with a colt OEM2 if you don't do the 6960. Put the rail of your choice, triggers, furniture, Etc. It will always be a colt and worth more.

Should be able to end up with a nice colt based rifle and have some money left over for a starter optic.

The other options are Daniel Defense or LMT. Used to be you could get LMT complete lowers pretty economically, they've gone up a bit. But their lower with the two-stage trigger is still a decent value.

For what it's worth I'd probably rather have your proposed Aero based Frankengun than the majority of the Troys I see.

My view is with the recent deals on Colt OEMs it's just not worth fiddling with anything else. You'll pay more with generics and have a rifle that's worth less.

If you just hate the idea of a colt, I'd just have BCM or Sionics build exactly what you want. Won't be much if any cheaper though.

noonesshowmonkey
08-02-17, 14:13
Colt CCU and an Aimpoint Pro. Or, Colt CCU and a case or two of M193.

Or, 5 cases of ammo and keep your current rifle.

Watrdawg
08-02-17, 14:17
A lot of good advice here. Your budget leaves a lot open as far as quality weapons is concerned. Colt, BCM, Sionics, LMT. If none of them have the exact weapon you are looking for pick one of their lowers and then pick an upper from another company. My 1st AR was a LMT lower with a BCM middy upper. The only complete weapons I have are a Noveske SBR and a LMT MWS. The rest are either complete builds I did myself or or combination uppers and lowers. They all came in less that you budget amount except for the Noveske and the LMT

Defaultmp3
08-02-17, 14:23
FN 15 Tactical II: https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-15-tactical-ii/
DD M4V7: https://danieldefense.com/firearms/caliber/5-56x45mm/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v7tm.html
Colt CCU: http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Rifles/Colt-Combat-Unit-Carbine
Sionics Patrol Rifle Three XL: http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/home/10-patrol-ssk-15.html
Centurion Arms Recce Upper: https://www.centurionarms.com/product-p/recceupper.htm
Centurion Arms CM4 Upper: https://www.centurionarms.com/product-p/cm4upper.htm

Lowers aren't too hard to fill out. I personally assembled all my own lowers, and had Dave Laubert over at Defensive Creations (http://www.defensivecreations.com/) build out my DI uppers using parts that I selected.

vpetrell
08-02-17, 15:23
Lwrc has some good options. Then leaves you monies for classes and training

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Defaultmp3
08-02-17, 15:33
Lwrc has some good options.The LWRC IC DI guns are definitely going for very cheap right now (very easy to find for <1100 USD). On one hand, it's a turnkey solution it gives you a true ambi lower from a relatively reputable manufacturer. However, you're also locked into their proprietary Monoforge uppers, which means your handguard selection is extremely limited.

GH41
08-02-17, 15:35
This is easy... Get a BCM SS barreled upper with the handguard you like from BCM and a BCM lower with the furniture and trigger you like from Grant. Nothing to it.

Korgs130
08-02-17, 16:43
Take a look at Sionics.

This ^^^^^. I'm a big fan of BCM, but Sionics is worth your serious consideration. I had some questions about their new MLOK rail and when I called Sionics they put we through to the guy who was on in the shop assembling the rifles. I ended up purchasing a complete Patrol 3-E upper (w/ MLOK Rail, Magpul MBUS Pros, BCG & CH) & LPK with enhanced trigger from Sionics last month. Added a Sionics stripped lower from Tombstone Tactical and the total for everything was $865 shipped.

Mike Miller
08-02-17, 17:01
Why not just spend that money on the 1-4x you want for your current rifle?

JRHorne
08-02-17, 17:49
Does your budget need to include optic? I'd echo Sionics or BCM. I have both and they are great. The LWRC DI can be had for under $1K, but so can a Sionics.

Rogue556
08-02-17, 17:53
This is easy... Get a BCM SS barreled upper with the handguard you like from BCM and a BCM lower with the furniture and trigger you like from Grant. Nothing to it.
^^^This is the answer.

This route also saves a little extra money on tax depending on your state and/or FFL.

Throw on the optic, light, sling of your choice and you're good to go.

sig1473
08-02-17, 18:13
I just picked up a KAC SR-15 Mod1 a couple of weeks ago for ~$1600. If you look around, you could score yourself a KAC or maybe look at a LMT CQB. As others have also said, you can't go wrong with a DD, Colt, Sionics, BCM, etc.

sgtbutt
08-02-17, 18:17
Buy yourself a SMOS Arms and you'll love it

jstalford
08-02-17, 18:53
If it were me, for ~$2k I would:

A: save a little more and get and SR15.

B. Get a centurion upper with cmr rail and a lower of your choice. Probably build a Kac lower or get a bcm.

C. LMT MRP

D. Colt OEM 2, geissele rail, g2s trigger, SL stock, Steiner P4xi.

Any of those will be an upgrade.

TMS951
08-02-17, 19:18
I would strongly consider a Colt 6960 CCU and a geissele ssa trigger. Some Magpul Pro Mbus if it doesn't come with any and a front Arisaka QD mount.

Should be 1550-1700$ for all that.

ScottsBad
08-02-17, 19:32
I've got a budget of about $1,500-$1,700.
I'm looking for a more "general purpose" rifle that can do a bit of everything. I'm looking to be able to hit out to around 600M.
It'll have a 1-4x optic on it eventually.

What pre-built rifle do you guys recommend? I'm looking at options from BCM and Daniel Defense currently.
I'd like a pre-built because generally when it comes to anything custom... I kinda have bad luck.
Though I do have a build list for a rifle I put together a while ago.

Any suggestions/ ideas appreciated!

AR build list, cost ~1500-1600 w/o assembly cost

-AERO Precision stripped receiver set, anodized
-Midwest Industries SSM M-Lok 12" RIS
-YHM Machine flash hider (This may change)
-CCMG Lower Parts Kit
-Faxon Firearms 16" SOCOM Profile barrel
-Rainier Arms nickle Boron match grade BCG
-BCM/ Vltor mod 4 medium charging handle
-Magpul K2 Pistol grip
-Magpul ACS Carbine stock
-Magpul MBUS Gen 2
-Geiselle SSA-E Trigger
-V-Seven Titanium gas block .750
-Vltor buffer tube & spring/ guide
-BCM mid length gas tube

If you are going to buy a complete rifle I would go BCM with a BCM 16" Stailess barrel, a BCM BFH ELW barrel -OR- I would go Daniel Defense.

I don't agree with most of your build list, starting with the Aero Precision receivers and the MI SSM. Here is the build list I would suggest if you decide to build another rifle.

- Daniel Defense, Colt, BCM or LMT bolt carrier group ONLY.
- Mega MML Extended Rifle Length (Upper receiver and rail in Mlok). I have several BCM, Noveske, and Vltor uppers (and upper receivers). I went with the Mega MML for my latest build because it is very integrated and the rail attaches to the receiver not the barrel nut. It is stiff and beautifully machined as if it was a monolithic upper, but without the problems of a monolithic upper. Very high quality stuff.
- Mega Billet lower, but you could save money here by using a standard Mega Forged lower receiver.
- ALG Defense or Geissele lower parts kit (no trigger, very good kits)
- BCM Mod 4 CH or BCM Ambi CH
- Geissele SSA (The SSA-E is too light for an all around trigger IMHO) I have several SSA and two SSA-E triggers. SSA is the better all around trigger, SSA-E for more precision shooting. You could save a few bucks here too by buying a LaRue MBT2 on the "I'm not in a hurry" plan for a great price. The MBT2 is a good trigger, especially for the $$.
- Don't waste your money on a titanium gas block again. Any decent quality GB will work. BCM is good. If you want an adjustable GB I suggest a SLR Sentry adjustable.

Barrel(s) - Depends on what you want to do with the rifle.
-- BCM BFH ELW 16" - Light weight Hammer Forged Chrome lined. If you want an all around home defense/fighting barrel, this would be a very good choice matched to a BCM Bolt Carrier group. My two most accurate barrels are BCM.
-- Faxon Match Series (NEW) QPQ 16" or 18" (I just built a rifle with one of these, but have not shot it yet) This barrel is designed for accuracy, but is surprisingly light because of the fluting for a heavy profile barrel Only a few of the Match Series are shipping, got mine at Rainier Arms. Be aware there are many good barrels out there and I've not shot this one. http://faxonfirearms.com/blog/faxon-firearms-announces-new-match-series-barrels-with-5r-rifling-np3-extensions/
-- My favorite fighting rifle barrel is the Hammer Forged steel double chrome lined Noveske barrel. I just love the profile of this barrel, so I have three, but they are just way too expensive and the prices of the competition have come down making really expensive barrels for anything but precision shooting ridiculous.

JMHO

Moose-Knuckle
08-03-17, 05:40
With that budget and if I was just starting out or starting over . . . as several others have stated Colt 6960 CCU and a Aimpoint Pro.

joeyjoe
08-03-17, 11:39
another vote for Colt 6960.

masakari
08-03-17, 13:18
Colt 6960 CCU
Daniel Defense (any)
BCM 16" middy

In that order, and in my opinion.

whatthepuck
08-03-17, 13:57
I'll echo the Colt CCU recommendations. Mine is one of my favorites. But, I'll also add a new recommendation-the Colt 6920-r for ~$750:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/40019/colt_mfg_le6920-r_le6920_trooper_semi-automatic_223_remington556_nato_161_3

Everything you need, minus sights, but you now have roughly a grand left over from that $1700 for sights,optics, whatever. If I had noticed this version of a 6920 available prior to buying my 6960, I would have certainly purchased it over the 6960. I personally don't notice a difference in recoil going from my carbine gassed 6720s to my mid gassed 6960, so the carbine length system on the 6920-r wouldn't bother me a bit.

With the current pricing of Colt 6920s, 6720s and 6960s, there's really no excuse, imho, of buying anything less. Colts may not be pretty, but for a gun you can count on and easily afford, the quality can't be beat.

Straight Shooter
08-03-17, 15:31

LMT Defender.

flenna
08-03-17, 21:05
Take a look at Sionics.

I second Sionics. Very well put together, accurate and, IMHO, their np3 coated bcg is one of the best out there.

Ostdarva
08-03-17, 22:09
Buy a damn BCM Recce 16" KMR and call it good. You'll never have to worry about anything.

dms888
08-04-17, 17:51
Buy a damn BCM Recce 16" KMR and call it good. You'll never have to worry about anything.

This..

FaxonNathan
08-07-17, 10:00
A pleasure to be mentioned. Let us know if we can assist in any way!

Bryson
08-07-17, 12:57
FN 15 Tactical II: https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-15-tactical-ii/

Curious why I don't see this rifle recommended more often. Seems like a great gun to me.

bigten109
08-07-17, 13:23
Colt's QC has been questioned recently, but the model suggested is top notch. Like everyone said, the BCMs, KAC, DD, can't go wrong with their quality. I'll throw spikes tactical in there in that price range. I personally think the government profile barrel doesn't do much in terms of performance over a thin profile barrel and may shave you some weight if you go light profile. You may like the milspec trigger but some people like an upgraded trigger. You may also want to consider more than $600 for an optic, especially if you are building a nice AR.

Wooohah
08-12-17, 09:18
Thanks for the replies everyone! Apologies for the late reply, been away on a trip.

Done a bit more research, I've pretty much narrowed it down to the DD M4V7 or a BCM Reece 16 / Reece 16 KMR-A. Pretty within my price range, seems to be what I need and there's some lightly used DD's locally.
I've decided I'm not doing any building this time, just need something simple that works out of the box.

Averageman
08-12-17, 09:58
I have the M4V7, it's a great choice.

Moose-Knuckle
08-13-17, 03:23
Thanks for the replies everyone! Apologies for the late reply, been away on a trip.

Done a bit more research, I've pretty much narrowed it down to the DD M4V7 or a BCM Reece 16 / Reece 16 KMR-A. Pretty within my price range, seems to be what I need and there's some lightly used DD's locally.
I've decided I'm not doing any building this time, just need something simple that works out of the box.

I have a DD M4V7 and a BCM RECCE-14 KMR-A, both carbines have been stellar.

magister
08-13-17, 10:01

I think you'll be very pleased with either. BCM and Daniel Defense are solid.

Wooohah
08-13-17, 10:13
Being 100% honest I'm still not too knowledgeable when it comes to components, whats the main differences between the DDM4V7 and the BCM Reece 16? (Disregarding aesthetics, rail, grip, etc)
Looking at the general spec's they seem to be pretty similar.
Is one objectively better than the other? Or are they similar enough in specs and quality that it just boils down mainly to personal brand preference?

ggp2jz
08-14-17, 09:19
LWRC for cheap

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/682168105

Zjhagens
08-19-17, 20:38
I'd go with a BCM personally. Add an optic and you're good to go. Also go with a middy. DD is another great option. I like the V7 myself.

ExplorinInTheWoods
08-19-17, 22:32
I still say BCM is the best out of the box option, you get so much between the PNT trigger, charging handle, comp, and you know it's going to run. Yes a LaRue or Noveske is going to be more accurate but you're going to pay quite a bit more. I say grab a BCM and put a TR25 on there and boom you got a lightweight, reliable, and rugged rifle.

SiGfever
08-20-17, 10:12
The BCM is a great choice. You should also consider this and buy ammo with the extra money. JMHO

justin_247
08-20-17, 10:22
The BCM is a great choice. You should also consider this and buy ammo with the extra money. JMHO

THIS. Slap an Aimpoint PRO on it and you're still probably under $1700.

jstalford
08-20-17, 10:27
Meh. I would save even more and get the trooper and pick furniture.

Mid length isn't worth another 300-400

user
08-20-17, 13:02
Colt 6720 and a trigger n optic

RAM Engineer
08-20-17, 14:36
Colt 6720 and a trigger n optic
This. Or skip the trigger and get more ammo.

RAM Engineer
08-20-17, 14:39
Colt's QC has been questioned recently

Citations please

HD1911
08-21-17, 08:52
Daniel Defense. I believe via Primary Arms you can get them with a Trijicon MRO/ADM QD Mount for like $1,800ish.

jstalford
08-23-17, 17:40
Hell I just saw a Mod 2 for sale for $1500 with 1k rounds on it

voiceofreason
08-25-17, 16:43
+1 on getting a midlength over carbine

If going Aimpoint PRO, get a used one for $300 or a bit more. Don't buy a new one, used ones pop up all the time cheap in almost new condition. You can always sell it close to what you paid for it.

For the size & weight difference between the two, the PRO is too large and heavy for what it does. I'd save up a bit more and get a Micro with a QR mount. I sound like a weight weenie, but it IS noticeable when you use them back to back.

Just my opinion, I literally have a Micro on my primary and a PRO on my secondary carbine. I should've gotten a second Micro in retrospect... but again, it's a secondary rifle and the optic is reliable so it's not a priority to me.

I know QR isn't en vogue these days because the cool kids are running optics bolted in, but I personally wouldn't run an optic that requires tools to remove on a rifle that might be used seriously.

beschatten
08-27-17, 23:48
If you already have an AR, and have a $1700 budget, and want it to do things that your current rifle doesn't, why not take advantage of the inherent modularity of the platform and get a higher-end upper receiver?

Options from lots of places inside that budget that will get you pretty far.

I get it if you want to do a whole rifle, not trying to lecture.

All my spare uppers end up turning into complete rifles :).

OP - lots of good opinions echo'd in this thread. You do save some money buying completed or stripped lower due vs. a complete rifle since there is a firearms tax. I'd probably get a BCM Complete Lower w/ whatever furniture I wanted from GandRTactical, and BCM ELW CHF Upper or 16 SS410 with a Geissele MK8 or MK14 - pending on which role you wanted it to fill (weight and longer distance touching).

Buying a Colt is not a bad idea either, I have a 6920 OEM2, threw on an MK8, a Geissele SSA, some magpul furniture, and it has been stupid boring.

I'd only build if you had really specific requirements in mind (which a general purpose rifle with out to 600M plinking isn't).

AR-556
08-28-17, 21:17
3-4 Ruger AR-556's.