PDA

View Full Version : Bolt action scope mount help needed

karlglen101
08-04-17, 15:34
Hi all. I'm trying to help my father-in-law. He has a Rem. 700 in .243, with a Simmons 2.5-10x44 scope (link below). I don't own any bolt action rifles that are not .22, so this is a bit out of my league. I basically need to find the equivalent of a reverse cantilever scope mount for him. The eye relief is too long and we'd like to bring the eye piece back closer to him and close the distance. The current scope mount is a Leopold. I can't find anywhere what the diameter of this scope is. My Google-fu was weak, but all old ads for this scope didn't reveal the size. Searching for mounts based on gun model or scope model didn't point to anything obvious. I'm assuming 30mm or 1in. We are frugual, so cheap is good. He's taken plenty of deer with this rifle and scope, he just doesn't want to hunch up to the scope to do it anymore!
Any help or recommendations are appreciated.

Current configuration:

GH41
08-04-17, 16:15
The least complicated way to get the scope closer to him would be to shorten the LOP. You can shorten plastic stocks but it is more involved than chopping it and screwing the pad back on. You probably couldn't tell him but plastic Rem 700 youth stocks are 25-50 bucks on ebay/gunbroker. Just for grins... Take the but pad off of his rifle and see if it is short enough without it. If I remember correctly the youth stocks are 1-1-1/4 inch shorter than the standard stock.