PDA

View Full Version : Applying for SBR

boomstick
10-22-06, 22:40
Which form do I use to apply for SBR permit, and, how long does it take for the feds to do this. Is there a certain office I send the form too that may speed up the process? Thanks in advance.

Bryson
10-22-06, 22:46
Are you buying a rifle that's already an SBR? If so, then it's a transfer and you use a Form 1. If you already have a rifle and you would like to cut the barrel down, then you are "manufacturing" an SBR and you use a Form 4. (I certainly hope I didn't get those numbers backwards.) If you've got an LLC or a trust, you won't need fingerprints or a police chief signoff. If you're just doing it as an idividual, you'll need both of those.

It is not a "permit," but a tax stamp. You will need to have the serial number of the rifle for the form, so you'll need to have already bought the rifle.

Current times for turnaround are taking 4-8 weeks it's looking like. Guess the ATF is feeding their monkies something high in sugar. Or they're using all that crack they've been taking from criminals... :p (They have a maximum of 3 months to approve or deny your form, I believe.)

This is my first real attempt at Class III help. Here's hoping I've provided accurate advice! :eek:

boomstick
10-22-06, 22:53
To clarify what I'm doing: I want to replace my 16" bbl with an 11.5". I have military background, I don't suppose that would make it any easier. I will still need finger print card and local PD sign off?? Sorry for the questions, I did search a bit but my head is spinning now. Also, does this tax stamp cover full auto as well??

Bryson
10-22-06, 23:04
No, it does not cover full auto. And it will only cover a single rifle. If you want to put a short barrel on a second lower, you'll have to convert that lower into an SBR as well. Assuming this is an AR-15, you won't be able to swap your short-barreled upper between lowers. It is only allowed to be attached to the lower that you converted to an SBR (or any lowers you have that are pistols, but that's a whole other thread).

Military background won't make any difference, no. Unless you're military now and buying something for a military unit (and not for yourself -- meaning the government will own the rifle), you'll be treated by the ATF as a normal civilian.

The only way I can see the military background helping is with getting the CLEO signoff. If he's anxious about it, you could always bring up that you were trained on the rifle, etc.

One last thing to make sure of: does your state allow SBRs? Some states (http://www.mp5.net/info/sbsconr.htm) do not.

boomstick
10-22-06, 23:11
I live in Ohio so I am good to go. Let me get this straight. I cannot put an 11.5" bbl on my AR?? I'm confused. Aren't I registering the whole gun as an SBR? This seems to be more trouble than it's worth. Do i have to buy a whole gun already an SBR??? I just realized I posted this in the wrong place, sorry.

Bryson
10-22-06, 23:29
Yes, you can put an 11.5" barrel on your AR. However, you can put an 11.5" upper only on the lower that you register as an SBR.

Only the lower is the "registered" part. But if you put the short upper on a lower that is not registered as a short barreled rifle, you're technically committing a felony. Just make sure you keep the short barreled upper on the SBR-registered lower and you're fine.

boomstick
10-22-06, 23:45
OK, I understand fully. Ive located the form 4, is there a certain way it is to be filled out. Do I just go to my local sheriff for the other forms or do I have to provide everything. I did some searching on this but I would just like a cut and dry version of step by step what I need to do from someone who has done it so I can get it in while the turn around times are not so bad. :D

Robb Jensen
10-23-06, 03:46
OK, I understand fully. Ive located the form 4, is there a certain way it is to be filled out. Do I just go to my local sheriff for the other forms or do I have to provide everything. I did some searching on this but I would just like a cut and dry version of step by step what I need to do from someone who has done it so I can get it in while the turn around times are not so bad. :D

If you're making one of you lowers into an SBR you need a Form 1.

A Form 4 is for transfer of existing NFA items such as (SBRs, SBSs, Machineguns, AOWs and Suppressors).

rob_s
10-23-06, 04:37
Download Form 1.
Fill out two Form 1.
Get two passport photos taken.
Attach passport photos to forms.
Get fingerprints taken (two sets).
Get CLEO signature on forms.
Send in Form 1 (in duplicate), fingerprint cards, and $200.
Engrave name and city on lower.
Wait about 30 days +/-.
Receive approved form in the mail.
Install new barrel.

If the form is supposed to be two sided then you need to send it in as one page. You cannot print out a two sided form onto two separate pages.

edited to add a couple of steps for clarity.

boomstick
10-23-06, 07:00
Now thats cut and dry. Thanks. I suppose my local sheriff will have the form for CLEO?

rob_s
10-23-06, 07:09
Now thats cut and dry. Thanks. I suppose my local sheriff will have the form for CLEO?
No, he signs the Form 1. Have you downloaded the form yet? Most of your questions are answered if you just look at the form in question. I know that I was always very aprehensive about the process until I looked at the form and saw how easy it is.

Download form here (http://www.atf.gov/forms/5300instructions.htm#5320)

rob_s
10-23-06, 07:12
Looks like I may have left out one form

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2124036

I use a trust so some of this stuff doesn't apply to me.

boomstick
10-23-06, 07:36
Couple more questions. On the form 1, block ( i) "Why you intend to make a firearm". Should I put in " SBR" or what are they looking for here. Length of barrel, is that the current length or the length I intend it to be? Also, the finger print cards, can I get them from the Sheriff's office?

Robb Jensen
10-23-06, 07:41
Couple more questions. On the form 1, block ( i) "Why you intend to make a firearm". Should I put in " SBR" or what are they looking for here. Length of barrel, is that the current length or the length I intend it to be? Also, the finger print cards, can I get them from the Sheriff's office?

Their asking why. I've put 'Collection and Investment' and 'All Lawful Purposes' and have been approved on both answers. There's a seperate box for bbl length and overall length. You get the fingerprint cards directly from ATF.

rob_s
10-23-06, 07:48
The barrel length is what you intend to install. It used to be people got away with answers like "less than 16 inches" or "varies" or what have you, but the reviewers are cracking down and as far as I know you need an actual number there now. Overall length is, I believe, the length with the stock extended fully.

Voodoochild
10-23-06, 08:25
Yeah I am still confused on the whole trust deal. I guess I need to actually go through Quicken and see how it is done. I am just not sure how you go about putting in the items you want in your trust. Like do I say Title 2 firearms or do I have to list each one indivdually. Same thing if I want an SBR or suppresor.:confused: :confused:

boomstick
10-23-06, 08:28
Guys you have been a big help. I'm going to Kinko's to get a couple of passport photos taken, sending off for my fingerprint cards and hopefully all goes well. :D

Robb Jensen
10-23-06, 08:30
Yeah I am still confused on the whole trust deal. I guess I need to actually go through Quicken and see how it is done. I am just not sure how you go about putting in the items you want in your trust. Like do I say Title 2 firearms or do I have to list each one indivdually. Same thing if I want an SBR or suppresor.:confused: :confused:

I just edited and reprinted the page that had assets etc owned by the trust.

VA_Dinger
10-23-06, 09:18
This is a great thread, but I think it belongs in the NFA forum.

Aubrey
10-23-06, 11:56
I have no personal experience with this process, but others that I trust have recommended

James Bardwell's FAQ ON NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT WEAPONS (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt)

rob_s
10-23-06, 13:01
FWIW, I did NOT use Quicken but paid an attorney, who also happens to be my transfer dealer, to draft up the trust. Money well spent considering the value of all of the things in the trust.

Robb Jensen
10-23-06, 15:28
I used Quicken 2006 Willmaker and had it notarized.