PDA

View Full Version : My New Colt 6920=Perfection

JBnTX
10-04-08, 19:09
I recently purchased a Colt 6920 (paid way too much, whatever?)

I put 320 rounds of Lake City XM193 through it with not one single misfire
or malfunction.

Accuracy: Windage is dead on out of the box at 100yds with zero windage adjustment.
Windage is centered according to the scale at the back of the sight.
(I hate when you have to crank the windage all the way over to one side just
to zero. Bushmaster are you listening?)

I set the Battle Sight Zero according to LTC Santose.
http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw

That BSZ works, but if you're only shooting at 300yds or less it really doesn't matter.
How many places can you shoot at 300yds plus distances?

Now the good part: Today I detailed stripped and thoroughly cleaned it.
Completely degreased it with brake cleaner/gun scrubber and relubricated
it with BreakFree CLP. I inspected each and every part.

This weapon is perfect! Fit and finish are outstanding.
Every single piece is perfect and should be standard all other pieces
are judged by.

I did 21 years in the USAF as a Security Policeman and I've seen M-16s
abused and misused in every way you can think of. Everything that can
break, I've seen it broken. I've seen them thrown into the backs of pickup
trucks, dropped on concrete, ran over by vehicles,
used as a seat by supporting the rifle between two objects and then sitting on it.

These are tough little rifles! Tough beyond your wildest imagination. (Within reason, of course)
They will withstand a tremendous amount of abuse and mistreatment and still function.

And from what I've seen so far the Colt 6920 is a winner.
This is one damn tough little rifle that you can depend on.

You can't go wrong with a Colt 6920!!

That's my opinion, of course your's will be different.

Note: I don't have a camera, so no pictures.
Hell, it's just a simple Colt 6920. Pictures are all over the internet.

mrosamilia
10-05-08, 08:31
I don't have the military experience, but I have owned several other brands of m4 forgeries. I am also convinced it's Colt or it's just not. I must state that I have never tried LMT yet. I'm kinda waiting for the Piston to become available.

DarrinD
10-05-08, 11:38
The Colt LE 6920 M4 is as closer to perfection I have seen in an M4 type rifle. I liked the little time I spent behind LMT's and Noveske's as well - but besides the sear, isn't the 6920 the same basic rifle as the military M4 version. A friend told me that FN produces all of our M-16's, but that Colt still produces some M-4's per contract and it is essentially the same as the 6920.

Regardless, it lives up to the "perfection" label better than the certain handguns I used to own and carry that claimed that label. :D

Dave L.
10-05-08, 11:56
The Colt LE 6920 M4 is as closer to perfection I have seen in an M4 type rifle. I liked the little time I spent behind LMT's and Noveske's as well - but besides the sear, isn't the 6920 the same basic rifle as the military M4 version. A friend told me that FN produces all of our M-16's, but that Colt still produces some M-4's per contract and it is essentially the same as the 6920.

Regardless, it lives up to the "perfection" label better than the certain handguns I used to own and carry that claimed that label. :D

I believe a real M4 has a 14.5" barrel and standard size trigger/hammer pins besides select fire mode.
I'm also pretty sure the Colt 6921 is basically an M4 without select fire.
I'm sure someone knows better than me- I have 2 6920's but I'm no expert.

Grey
10-05-08, 12:35
I have never owned an LMT or Noveske, but I have no complaint with my Colt 6920. It has been a great performer.

DarrinD
10-05-08, 15:31
I believe a real M4 has a 14.5" barrel and standard size trigger/hammer pins besides select fire mode.
I'm also pretty sure the Colt 6921 is basically an M4 without select fire.

I'll go check, but I recall when buying mine that it does have a 14.5" barrel with a 1.5" flash suppressor which to my understanding is AZ compliant. I better check my Colt's model number again and actually measure the barrel (or does anyone know if there is an engraving/mark on the barrel which would indicate type and length?

BushmasterFanBoy
10-05-08, 17:04
I'll go check, but I recall when buying mine that it does have a 14.5" barrel with a 1.5" flash suppressor which to my understanding is AZ compliant. I better check my Colt's model number again and actually measure the barrel (or does anyone know if there is an engraving/mark on the barrel which would indicate type and length?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, unless the previous owner "corrected" it, by cutting it down and adding a permanent flash hider, or perhaps you unknowingly have an SBR.
That still doesn't mean it isn't a quality weapon, I don't think anyone would argue that the 6920 is poor quality, it just isn't "correct", in the sense of being a military M4 clone.

Renegade
10-05-08, 17:45
I recently purchased a Colt 6920 (paid way too much, whatever?)

Too much in Texas is still lower than anywhere else -> $1149 last week at Gun Show.

Enjoy.

DarrinD
10-05-08, 18:33
I'm pretty sure it doesn't, unless the previous owner "corrected" it, by cutting it down and adding a permanent flash hider, or perhaps you unknowingly have an SBR.
That still doesn't mean it isn't a quality weapon, I don't think anyone would argue that the 6920 is poor quality, it just isn't "correct", in the sense of being a military M4 clone.

No, bought it new. I WISH I had a 10.5" SBR with a suppressor on it. Can someone direct me to a link with the legal requirements for that? (it it like a tax stamp thing?) Looks to me like I have a less than 16" barrel and a 1.5" flash suppressor (but it's probably just a standard 6920, which is alright by me). In fact, I think the use of M4gery is thrown around too broadly. If the only substantive difference is barrel length and automatic fire, I think it's mostly M4, even if it's called an LE M4 (as Colt does). When it has a fake telescoping stock, well then it borders on earning the 4gery title, imho of course

JBnTX
10-05-08, 19:03
If you have a Colt 6920 that you bought new, it will have a 16 inch barrel.

With the bolt closed, drop a cleaning rod down the bore and measure the
total length including the flash hider.

It should come to just over 17.5 inches. That includes the 16.1 inch barrel
and the 1.5 inch flash hider.

The only differences between the Colt 6920 and the Colt M-4 is the barrel
length and type of firing mechanism.

Military Colt M-4= 14.5 inch barrel and a burst fire control.
Colt 6920= 16 inch barrel and semi-auto fire control.

Everything else being equal the 6920 is the closest you can get to the
actual military M-4.

LonghunterCO
10-05-08, 19:23
Colts are nice. You have in now, so try not to get too wrapped up in I paid too much.

Renegade
10-05-08, 19:24
Everything else being equal the 6920 is the closest you can get to the
actual military M-4.

I would say the 6921 is the closest, as it has the 14.5 barrel.

JBnTX
10-05-08, 19:31
I would say the 6921 is the closest, as it has the 14.5 barrel.

You're right, but I was assuming one that's civilian legal.

Renegade
10-05-08, 19:33
You're right, but I was assuming one that's civilian legal.

6921 is civilian legal in Texas.

DarrinD
10-05-08, 20:08
6921 is civilian legal in Texas.
How can I determine if I have a 6920 or a 6921? I hate to talk first, but the manual that came with it is not helpful (It does have a place that reads Colt Model ____________). Ugh.

I have the serial number stamped on the side. Hmm. I might have a 6921, being in Arizona, because I just recall if the overall length was 16" (barrel plus muzzle braker during the AWB and now barrel plus flash supperssor if you choose is okay). However, Colt's manual that came with it is generally applicable to several models (copyrighted in 2003, rifle bought in 2006, and it's the one invoice I can't find the copy for), so I'm still not certain, but mostly just curious.

I'll measure it down the bore as previously suggested I guess.

p.s. Kind of interesting that Colt (or their lawyers) came up with 9 (NINE!) GENERAL HANDLING rules of gun safety. Well that's easy to remember.

Renegade
10-05-08, 20:12
How can I determine if I have a 6920 or a 6921? I hate to talk first, but the manual that came with it is not helpful (It does have a place that reads Colt Model ____________). Ugh..

6921 is an NFA item (requires tax stamp) and is marked on the side of the magwell Colt M4LE, as opposed to Colt Law Enforcement Carbine.

DarrinD
10-05-08, 20:25
6921 is an NFA item (requires tax stamp) and is marked on the side of the magwell Colt M4LE, as opposed to Colt Law Enforcement Carbine.

Thanks, though not clear, I'm sure I have a 6920. On the side of my magwel, which I did check earlier, it is engraved "COLTS LAW ENFORCEMENT CARBINE" 5.56MM LE 023###