PDA

View Full Version : LaRue Tactical Ultimate AR Upper Kit Sale - A sign of the times?

26 Inf
08-08-17, 11:56
As the title says LaRue is having an Upper Kit sale. For just about 800.00 you can have a complete LaRue Upper, plus trigger, estension and stock in black, for just about 900.00 in FDE or UDE. This is a complete rifle absent the lower receiver.

I have no connection with LaRue, saw this on another site, asked the wife if she'd loan me a 1,000 (I've over spent my w/o permission budget this month) and 5 minutes later had one order in 6.5 Grendel FDE.

Here's the link: http://www.larue.com/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit

Now here is the question, is this a sign that what I perceive as upper end companies like LaRue are feeling the crunch of dropping sales?

I would have expected that their customer base is more astute and that their sales somewhat steady. I felt that they, and others such as Noveske and KAC, would be mostly immune from the sudden spike and corresponding big drop that the fear-based frenzy of first time buyers caused.

Just curious. Regardless, IMO it is a helluva deal.

Kain
08-08-17, 12:28
Personal observation with Larue is that have been cutting prices(Polymer sale 50% off for example as well as a "sale" on their quad rails which has them about 1/3 off.) for quite some time. I have the feeling that they are feeling the crunch as much as anyone and considering they really haven't innovated as much as others and lost market share due to other manufacturers like Bobro in regards to mounts they need to do something to bring new market share. Time will tell how well they do and how they last.

26 Inf
08-08-17, 13:29
Personal observation with Larue is that have been cutting prices(Polymer sale 50% off for example as well as a "sale" on their quad rails which has them about 1/3 off.) for quite some time..

I hadn't been following them so wasn't aware of that. I jumped because it just so happened I was planning on building a 6.5 upper next month and had figured it would run me 810.00 for just the upper. As it is since I have a stripped lower sitting in the safe I'll have the entire rifle for that. I was planning on using a BA barrel, BCM Blem Upper, Giessele Super Charging Handle and gas block, with an ALG ERGO rail, so I didn't think I'd be too far off either way on components.

GH41
08-08-17, 14:56
Thanks, Now I have to borrow a grand from my wife!

TMS951
08-08-17, 15:11
I saw this, great deal. As was the sale of their triggers for 99$ recently.

I think companies are trying to dump stock to free up capitol for new products or at least get cut down on over stock.

Larue is not going anywhere. I have also read before that Marc Larue has sold items at a loss in order to edge out competitors and gain entry into that market, this is internet hearsay.

JRHorne
08-08-17, 18:20
I'd bet it's not as much companies hurting as it is the supply finally keeping up with demand and having excess capacity. I am sure many of the major players tooled up over the last nearly 6 years now, as soon as the Republican Congress majority took over so they knew Obama would have little to no chance to pass a revised assualt ban. Now, what you have is quality (and others) manufacturers with the ability to pump out serious product, a platform that has seen a meteoric rise in popularity, a reboundes economy where more people have discretionary spending, and no shortage of raw materials. The formula for producing quality barrels, receivers, BCGs is the same it has always been. So if you own the IP AND don't need to innovate, and you've already tooled up and covered your capital costs, while demand continues to rise, you can afford to lower prices to sell more as you have essentially moved to a text book variable margin scenario.

PrarieDog
08-08-17, 23:51
I see it as an opportunity to get people into your product line that normally would be excluded by pricing or that they are a boutique manufacturer. I have jumped on a few of the deals and this latest one is a great price as long as the quality is maintained. Quality that I don't think Larue would scrimp on as they are know for their quality above all else. For me I am on the fence as I want to purchase the 6.5 set up but am considering .223 for a build for my son for next year. Trying not to say F it and buy both.

I do think they have capacity now and the gun industries best salesman retired last year so sales are returning to normal after 8 years fear driven sales.

Goldorak
08-09-17, 10:15
I was all excited, until they made me buy a muzzle device I don't want/need, and a polymer combo/receiver extension I would replace anyway. That's $200 wasted. From a drawn-down menu, I expected differently =better.
I love it when manufacturers offer a la carte menus, with NONE being one of the options.

titsonritz
08-09-17, 11:16

Thanks, I just spit my drink all over my monitor.

26 Inf
08-09-17, 12:28

Thanks, I just spit my drink all over my monitor.

Maybe he's like me, I'm constantly about 3 months ahead of my firearms/motorcycle budget, the wife doesn't complain about me slipping the occasional 25.00 over out of the stash, but when it comes to a grand, I need to ask for a 'loan.'

Alex V
08-09-17, 12:36
Just wish they would sell their lowers. Then for $1150 you could have a full rifle.

JRHorne
08-09-17, 13:26
I was all excited, until they made me buy a muzzle device I don't want/need, and a polymer combo/receiver extension I would replace anyway. That's $200 wasted. From a drawn-down menu, I expected differently =better.
I love it when manufacturers offer a la carte menus, with NONE being one of the options.
The muzzle device won't be pinned, so get it and sell it, same with the trigger housing. Even taking a slight hit on those, you're still way ahead with everything else.

JC5188
08-09-17, 15:46
Turning election panic stock back into cash since HRC didn't win, and leaning out before year-end inventory would be my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stickman
08-09-17, 17:48
I have also read before that Marc Larue has sold items at a loss in order to edge out competitors and gain entry into that market, this is internet hearsay.

I have been told the same thing multiple times by various manufacturers, to include giving away large amounts of product. Giving away product comes into the realm of advertising, so I don't look at that as out of the ordinary until you get to the point of demanding things in return or holding it over someone.

When did KAC introduce their locking collar rail system? Daniel Defense came out with a version a few years later, and a few years after that LT came out with the same thing. Does the current market really support a 15-20 year old rail system? I don't think so, and based on the total lack of seeing them in the wild (and even on the internet anymore), I would guess most people have gone away from them.

There was never a shock with LT trigger pricing, especially after the foaming at the mouth rants which were allowed on arfcom against Mr Geissele. Every manufacturer I knew voiced their opinion that LT would cut prices if Geissele drop their price structure. When the triggers didn't take off the way the internet shills pretended, the intro price and subsequent pricing stayed low. It appears those people were all correct.

Polymers are a different story in that the stocks and grips made by LT have never caught on or been widely accepted. Even the most loyal of LT online groupies continually buy Magpul, and I can't fault them for that as I don't recall anyone ever saying or posting that the LT stock was attractive. Then again, the SOPMOD angle has been enjoyed time and time again, and we all know looks should place second to functionality (at least for the real world).

I don't think there is a manufacturer out there who is free from the bite after Obama left office. The continual fear of things being banned led to an increase and stockpile in parts that are cost money, time, resources, and now are taking up space. There are plenty of places that have closed up shop.

Supply and demand still set the pace. If people aren't interested in products (for whatever reason), there are few ways a company can get quick cash flow aside from cutting prices and selling things on the cheap.

adh
08-09-17, 20:26
my first observation after checking the link was that you cant get the kit without buying the tranquilo break for $99
definitely wouldn't want one of those (AAC/surefire invested already) and that $99 item has a lot of margin built into it I imagine

Goldorak
08-10-17, 10:37
I don't see a market for a Tranquillo muzzle device, and I'd have to almost give away the receiver extension and stock. Who wants them?
So, for me it's @198 +tax on those, which means about $215 totally useless. This is about 20% of the package. Which makes the deal not so appealing, considering the detailed menu -which does NOT offer a NONE option.
I'll pass.

60pilot
08-10-17, 12:58
Same as others have mentioned, the lack of a none option on the drop down was sort of a turn off.

CombatMedic73
08-12-17, 01:16
First post on this forum, longtime AR15.com member, branching out a little. I think that some of these companies are feeling the crunch from a panic buy market to now a buyer's market. Less demand means these companies are fighting for business with each other. I believe these deals will only continue. The average person can't afford some of his rifles, and I think this is a great way to get into that market with more budget minded people. I actually think it's a great business move in a changing market. I think he's gonna start selling those elusive lowers again. Just a hunch.

Ridgeline
08-12-17, 15:43
I've tried a few qd optic mounts from a few companies and I think LaRue qd mounts are still the best in the industry. Maybe there is hope for their triggers. Everything else not so much.

Stickman
08-12-17, 22:14
First post on this forum, longtime AR15.com member, branching out a little. I think that some of these companies are feeling the crunch from a panic buy market to now a buyer's market. Less demand means these companies are fighting for business with each other. I believe these deals will only continue. The average person can't afford some of his rifles, and I think this is a great way to get into that market with more budget minded people. I actually think it's a great business move in a changing market. I think he's gonna start selling those elusive lowers again. Just a hunch.

Of course, they don't even make the lowers. It is easy enough to tell the actual supplier that they want X amount and pay for them after they are sold. Pay bills on time and magic happens.

Welcome to the board! While this board does put up with much less BS than arfcom does, the information tends to be much more factual. The guys who post garbage and parrot what they have read and don't actually know anything about tend to get shut down. The same things happens with clowns and trolls, so you should find this a bit slower moving, but a much cleaner site when it comes to legit info.

I agree with you that deals will continue to surface as we see sales slow down.

ccosby
08-12-17, 23:48
Doesn't actually seem like a bad deal for what you are getting. I kinda wish they would do it without the plastics and I'm not a fan of at least the looks of them. They may be good but I'm rather stick with what I already am used to. Anyone know the story of why larue sat on these newer uppers so long? They showed them off I want to say like 2 years ago at shot show and have had them for sale in limited numbers before. I had wanted one when I first saw the pics but have since built something else.

Of course, they don't even make the lowers. It is easy enough to tell the actual supplier that they want X amount and pay for them after they are sold. Pay bills on time and magic happens.

Is that still true? I know at first they were made elsewhere(I want to say smos but I could be wrong) but I thought they said the production was moved in house a while ago.

26 Inf
08-15-17, 23:43
Ordered my 6.5 Grendel on August 7th at 10:30PM; it shipped August 11th, at 5:55PM; received it today, August 15th, at 1:30PM. No complaints about the order fulfillment and shipping.

The upper kit was nicely packaged, foam cutouts for each part as well as the LaRue swag - 'dillo rub, 'dillo beverage entry tool, bumper stickers, several booklet copies of the constitution, as well as a couple of reproducible zero targets and LaRue's version of the Blue Press. All in all first impression favorable.

Closer scrutiny revealed the FDE upper and rail attached, they were pristine, with no visible flaws. Much to my surprise, the 6.5 barrel was packaged with the gas block installed and the gas tube pinned into place, of course that will have to come off, but I'm sure it is dimpled. The rifle also shipped with a barrel and muzzle device wrench with torque specs on the wrench.

The MBT trigger is installed in a trigger action chassis, it feels pretty darned good. The bolt and bolt carrier are, well, a bolt and bolt carrier - shipped lubed and properly staked.

I have a Silencerco ASR Brake to put on it for my Omega so the Tranquillo Brake will have to find a new home.

I'm pretty stoked about this purchase, initially I was even more stoked because at first glance at the package it was in, I thought the Dillo Beverage Entry Tool was an ambi kit for the charging handle, then I picked it up, oh well.

Right now I'm busy getting my daughter ready to go to college out of state. I'll be back from that trip on Friday so this weekend I'll moly resin the lower FDE and assemble the rifle.

I'm worried that if it shoots nearly as good as it looks, I'm going to turn into one of those despicable fanboys.

26 Inf
09-13-17, 15:08

Well, apparently LaRue has been able to continue to pay the bills on time, LOL.

They are now offering the lower to go with the Ultimate Upper build kit. You can buy one lower per Ultimate AR Upper Kit that you've purchased for 199.00:

L - A - R - U - E

L - O - W - E - R - S

It's true, as previously hinted at online, Ultimate Upper Kit buyers can now buy yourself a LaRue Lower to go with that UU kit ... time to build yourself a complete LaRue Ultra-Precision rifle.

You can buy one for each UU KIT you have ORDERED or are about to order.

All lowers must ship to buyer's FFL

FEATURES

. CNC-Machined from 7075 Aluminum

. Reinforced in critical areas

. Flared magwell for easy magazine changes

. Generous trigger guard for operation with gloves

. Type-3 hard coat anodized

. Reinforced buffer tube area

Be advised, we have a finite amount of small block (5.56 version) and big block (7.62 version) lowers completed and on our shelves. They are all black anodized. If you check the FDE or UDE box, allow some time for coating, but it will happen and they will be nut bustin' gorgeous.

When you mate-up your LaRue lower with your new LaRue Ultimate Upper Kit, you end up with a hammer that shoots lights-out. Plus you are the one that put it together, so you are darn near an AR Armorer by proxy.

Thanks for jumping onto our Ultimate Upper bandwagon early ... we're getting great feedback/reviews and know you got yourself some bragging rights. Aim small, hit small, and clean your chambers.

Mark LaRue

http://www.larue.com/larue-billet-lowers

I ordered one just to get a little closer than I was able to on their FDE finish.

Stickman
09-13-17, 17:47
Back to your actual topic and question, regarding if they are feeling a crunch... the price of their AR15 is now $1000. Compare that to their price awhile back. You can see Colt rifles are cheaper than ever, as are Bushmaster, DPMS, and others.

26 Inf
09-13-17, 20:30
Back to your actual topic and question, regarding if they are feeling a crunch... the price of their AR15 is now $1000. Compare that to their price awhile back. You can see Colt rifles are cheaper than ever, as are Bushmaster, DPMS, and others.

Not far off. In pieces a 6.5 Grendel Ultimate AR (stealth upper) with their lower would run 1100.00 to 1200.00 and you assemble. The same rifle runs 1999.00 assembled.

The question still remains, to me at least, are they feeling the crunch of flat sales due to earlier panic buying, or are they just wanting to grab more market, thus more money, for other reasons.

As I said in my original post:

I would have expected that their customer base is more astute and that their sales somewhat steady. I felt that they, and others such as Noveske and KAC, would be mostly immune from the sudden spike and corresponding big drop that the fear-based frenzy of first time buyers caused.

According to ATF, Noveske manufactured just over 1,000 rifles in 2016, KAC and LaRue were each under 2,000; obviously they all produced accessories which are not required to be reported to ATF, but it would seem that the three companies are not aiming at the mass market buyer.

I guess anything is conjecture on this subject.

TacticalFun
09-13-17, 21:17
Just ordered 3 billet lowers to put away

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

dramabeats
09-14-17, 00:26
Just ordered 3 billet lowers to put away

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

So you ordered 3 of their upper kits too?

TacticalFun
09-14-17, 13:27
Edited. I have a 6.5 upper before the lowers were available and have purchased a creedmoor upper just now. The third lower was denied do to i do not need a third upper.

26 Inf
12-02-17, 12:47
Just an update, my lower arrived several days ago and I picked it up Friday (12/1/17) so I had a 2.5 month wait.

I transferred the FCG (the MBT trigger) and RE, stock, and grip, from the lower I had been using with the 6.5 Grendel upper. I remain somewhat disappointed that a Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch wont work with the upper, but really not essential for the use I intend for this one.

Everything went together nicely, I used my new KNS hammer cage to install the hammer, pretty nice, I think I'm going to get my money's worth out of that little gadget.

The receivers mated, well, should we say, snugly? Obviously the four layers of cerakote removed what little play there may have been between the upper and lower. I had to use my farmer strength to get the front lug into the lower, and then had to give it the ol' rap with the heel of the hand to get it seated so the rear takedown pin would slide in. Absolutely no wobble. I opened and closed it about a dozen times, still need a little oomph to get the rear aligned, but I like the snugness.

Colors matched nicely considering they weren't done as a unit, much better than the lower I had Moly Resin'ed matched:

I haven't shoot it with the new lower, but see no reason anything would be affected accuracy-wise.

I'm a happy camper.

justin_247
12-02-17, 12:56
I used my new KNS hammer cage to install the hammer, pretty nice, I think I'm going to get my money's worth out of that little gadget.

I'd never heard of this gadget until this comment. After watching a person on YouTube using it, I must say I'm impressed. Why didn't somebody come up with this simple gadget earlier?

Stickman
12-02-17, 15:23
Colors matched nicely considering they weren't done as a unit, much better than the lower I had Moly Resin'ed matched:

Selling things cheap could have been both a nod to slow sales, as well as to his divorce decree. Since the company was in his wifes name, I'm sure she was entitled to a semi decent amount in the way of payout if he wanted to actually be the owner of "his" company.

ETA- I just opened your picture, and that color match isn't a match at all. I thought you had bought the parts from him at two different times and they matched, which would have made since because of who does the coatings for them.

Hulkstr8
12-02-17, 15:31
Selling things cheap could have been both a nod to slow sales, as well as to his divorce decree. Since the company was in his wifes name, I'm sure she was entitled to a semi decent amount in the way of payout if he wanted to actually be the owner of "his" company.

ETA- I just opened your picture, and that color match isn't a match at all. I thought you had bought the parts from him at two different times and they matched, which would have made since because of who does the coatings for them.

The Larue stuff has been on sale for 8 months. I just think they are normalizing prices somewhat and still making money.

26 Inf
12-02-17, 18:40

Close enough for me. Since you are a photographer I would expect your eye to be more discerning than mine. No, I bought the lower a couple weeks later.

vandal5
12-21-17, 05:30
Hello 26Inf,

How are you liking the rifle so far? Do you feel like the parts in the kit are worth the price? I know some have mentioned they wish they could opt out of items like the break or plastic but I'm okay with them for now. I'd likely just try to sell or trade an item or two if I ended up not using it. Likely it would remain exactly how it shipped for a while.

I was planning on picking up one of these in 5.56 as a 2nd AR (other one is 10.3"). Going to go with a 16" but trying to decide between the Stealth and the PredatAR barrel.

Guess I'm just wondering more what (if anything) you don't like about it?

Thanks

Sent from my PIP-BOY 3000 using Tapatalk

26 Inf
12-21-17, 12:22
Hello 26Inf,

How are you liking the rifle so far? Do you feel like the parts in the kit are worth the price? I know some have mentioned they wish they could opt out of items like the break or plastic but I'm okay with them for now. I'd likely just try to sell or trade an item or two if I ended up not using it. Likely it would remain exactly how it shipped for a while.

I was planning on picking up one of these in 5.56 as a 2nd AR (other one is 10.3"). Going to go with a 16" but trying to decide between the Stealth and the PredatAR barrel.

Guess I'm just wondering more what (if anything) you don't like about it?

Thanks

Mine is a 6.5 Grendel. As of yet I don't have a lot of rounds through the rifle, only about 80 - I bought 5 boxes of Hornady Black 123gr ELD Match and have one box left. It is easily a sub-moa rifle out to 200 yards.

Overall I am very pleased with my purchase and would do it again in a heartbeat. I bought the lower when they came available, and, as Stickman pointed out above, they don't match perfectly, but close enough for me. I imagine if you purchased the upper kit and the lower at the same time you'd get a better match.

Furniture-wise, I'm not in love with the looks of the stock, but it fits me well, so it is staying put. I thought that I would replace the LaRue grip with a Type 23, but it working well for me off the bench and prone, which, I'm sure, is where this rifle will spend most of it's time, so it is staying, also. I replaced the charging handle with a Raptor because I had one and I'm lefty.

The MBT trigger is sweet, first stage doesn't seem near to 2.5 pounds, second stage breaks clean, I really like this trigger.

If I was being picky - I would prefer M-Lok to the Key-Mod - the kits don't give you that option. The 6.5 Grendel was only offered in 18 inches, and the longest rail LaRue offered was a 13 inch. I would have preferred a 15 inch rail. The way the Stealth 2.0 upper and rail go together absolutely rocks, simply assembly and perfect alignment.

The lower, as well as the upper, is billet. No problem with assembly. My only real complaint is with the bolt catch and it's interface with the billet upper. The upper pad of the catch fits neatly into a recessed pocket on the upper. This fitment seems to preclude installation of any of the enhanced bolt catches I've used from Forward Controls, Seekins, or Geissel.

AS you can see my two issues, the shorter rail, and the upper receiver cutout for the bolt catch could be considered minor and personal. Neither of them would dissuade me from buying another upper kit. Which I fully intend to do.

Diamondback
12-21-17, 12:56
Also, with the end of the year coming, that means Inventory Time--with its associated tax assessments. The more inventory you have on hand, the more you pay, which is why you see big Inventory Reduction Blowouts at end of company fiscal year many places.

Sorry, former Business major over here...

vandal5
12-21-17, 21:00
Thank you 26 Inf,

I had called them about a week ago to ask about an mlok version as they list that option if you are just buying the Stealth 2.0 chassis. They said not at this time but that things could change for next year or after Shot coming up.. I guessed I probably was not the only one to call about an mlok version that he had received. He said I was not but he did not have any info that he was able to give me at that time.

I figure I'll call in again before I order to see if anything has changed. I'm not that heavily invested in mlok yet but do have a MK8 on my SBR and would like to be able to swap stuff between them if I could. Ultimately won't be a deal breaker though.

The 6.5 Grendel barrel doesn't say if it is the Stealth or PredatAR does it? Or is it a different profile? Still trying to decide which profile to go with...

Thank you for the feedback on this!

26 Inf
12-21-17, 23:14
The 6.5 Grendel barrel doesn't say if it is the Stealth or PredatAR does it? Or is it a different profile? Still trying to decide which profile to go with...

No it didn't say on the drop down. It looks like the Stealth profile. Definitely not the PredatAR.