PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek Barrels?

deadwood83
10-22-06, 22:56
I was browsing around the ABS website and found a link to Rock Creek barrels. I was wondering if one of their barrels would be worth getting for my varminting upper. I know they're unturned blanks but $125 for a blank which is called accurate by ABS really gets my attention. Which leads me to my second question, where can I get it turned (providing I actually buy it) and for about how much?

Thanks

twl
10-23-06, 17:32
Rock Creek Barrels is Mike Rock.

Mike Rock is one of the best barrel makers in the country, and is pretty famous among barrel makers.
You can order the entire barrel, fully completed, done by his shop, directly from him.

Or you can have another barrel profiler buy the blank, and do it.

He's famous for the 5R cut-rifled barrels, and I'd suggest going with that.

deadwood83
10-23-06, 20:16
Interesting. I think i'll have to look into the cost of a completed one. Although Compass Lake has some pretty nifty services and I admit their service rifle style float tube is intriguing.

Thanks for the info. If it shoots right up there with the Noveskes for about the same price i'll be more than satisfied.

ETA: After re-visiting the site, I think i'll have to stick to the button rifled barrels due to budget constraints.

jmart
10-23-06, 21:38
If you go with Compass Lake ask Frank what reamer he uses. IIRC his NM barrels use a steep leade .223 reamer, I'd be careful if that's what he uses for everything else.