PDA

View Full Version : Storing the home defense AR ?

aerochris
10-04-08, 22:11
When using the AR for home defense, what is the preferred method of storing the gun? Do you leave it by the bed, loaded with the safety on? That's what I do with my shotgun.

Thanks.

Robb Jensen
10-04-08, 22:13
Loaded mag seated in gun on a closed bolt empty chamber. Safety on, Aimpoint on about 4 clicks lower than the brightest setting.

HES
10-04-08, 23:35
As I go to bed the I insert a loaded magazine, and the bolt is closed on an empty chamber with the safety on. When I get up in the morning the magazine is removed and secured but easily accessible by me.

skyugo
10-05-08, 02:50
close bolt, empty chamber, loaded mag.

it's quick to chamber a round, plus if you do it right when you need it you can be sure it's done. nothing worse than a click when you need a bang. :eek:

Parabellum9x19mm
10-05-08, 04:20
loaded mag, empty chamber, dust cover closed, selector on fire, hammer down. Aimpoint Micro on setting 6

Cold Zero
10-05-08, 05:52
20 round mag loaded with 18 rds. of T.A.P., mag inserted, closed bolt, chamber empty, on safe.

aerochris
10-05-08, 08:32
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm surprised to hear all the responses say "empty chamber." Is this to prevent an AD? Would you suggest I keep the shotgun chamber empty too?

Thanks a lot!

Stan_TheGunNut
10-05-08, 08:59
Conventional wisdom is that for AR's and Shotguns, you keep the magazines loaded, but no round in the chamber. For shotguns, this the term most often used is cruiser ready, meaning the magazine is loaded, and the trigger has been pulled so that the pump action may be performed without trying to find the release.

It's my understanding that this is done because AR's and some shotguns are not considered drop safe. Apparently a significant jar can cause the firing pin or bolt (or some combination of the two) to move resulting in a slamfire.

This is just my understanding of the issue...I'm sure someone will correct me.

CarlosDJackal
10-05-08, 10:32
Lives next to my 870 whose magazine tube, side saddle, and butt cuff are loaded with 00 buckshot and slugs. The AR has a dual magazine loaded with 28-rounds of 55-grain TBBC, the Aimpoint ML2 on 7, with the bolt and hammer forward. All I have to do with either guns is to rack them to put them into action. Both also have Weaponslights.

98z28
10-06-08, 00:23
Stan is right on. No drop safety on the AR = empty chamber when the weapon is not in your hands (same goes for most if not all shotguns). I keep mine with a loaded mag, empty chamber, closed dust cover and safety off (some have a very good argument for keeping the safety on - that one is up for debate in my mind).

My personal AR rests beside the bed in an open hard case when I am in bed and gets locked in the safe when I am gone. There are lots of factors to consider for proper storage (kids/spouse at home, burglary concerns, etc.).

DWood
10-06-08, 16:08
"Empty chamber, on safe". Since the safety can't be put on SAFE without racking the bolt. I assume you guys actually rack the bolt without a magazine in place, move the safety to SAFE, and then insert a loaded mag? What is the point of that?

markm
10-06-08, 16:15
loaded mag, empty chamber, dust cover closed, selector on fire, hammer down.

Same here.

I'm not sure why some guys go cocked and locked on an empty chamber. But if that works for them... great.

LOKNLOD
10-06-08, 16:23
"Empty chamber, on safe". Since the safety can't be put on SAFE without racking the bolt. I assume you guys actually rack the bolt without a magazine in place, move the safety to SAFE, and then insert a loaded mag? What is the point of that?

I would think it's merely an extra level of safety so when you do rack the CH to load a round, the safety is already on, so it's extra insurance against a 3:00 AM "boogerhook malfunction" resulting an ND when your charge the gun.

markm
10-06-08, 16:31
I would think it's merely an extra level of safety so when you do rack the CH to load a round, the safety is already on, so it's extra insurance against a 3:00 AM "boogerhook malfunction" resulting an ND when your charge the gun.

I can dig that. I personally don't want to have to mess with the safety. I just want to rack shoot if I wake up and O.J. is standing in my room.

JTR
10-06-08, 16:41
Glock 22s around the house with loaded magazines and empty chambers. Shotgun under the bed with loaded magazine and empty chamber (cruiser ready). One of the M4gerys in the safe with loaded magazine and empty chamber.

Jay Cunningham
10-06-08, 16:51
When using the AR for home defense, what is the preferred method of storing the gun? Do you leave it by the bed, loaded with the safety on? That's what I do with my shotgun.

Thanks.

If the AR is my primary defensive weapon then yes it has a round in the chamber with the safety on and the Aimpoint on and the light checked before I go to sleep.

However I tend to rely on my Glock 19 for immediate access so my carbine is nearby... with a loaded magazine and on safe but no round in the chamber. The Glock is kept with a chambered round.

Parabellum9x19mm
10-06-08, 16:58
I agree with Katar. I keep my HD AR cruiser ready, but my home defense P226 has a round in the chamber with a loaded mag.

However, Glocks & SIGs have firing pin blocks -

User Name
10-06-08, 17:26
I store my AR's in a safe. I leave my 870 14" by my bed w/ my G19. I prefer the shotgun for my home defense purposes. If I still had my kids around I'd use a 10.5 AR and a can. But by myself I like plan old fashion 2 3/4 9 pellet OO or OOO.