PDA

View Full Version : What is your most reliable pistol and why?

crusader377
08-11-17, 13:04
With the current Sig P320 debacle and a few other recent posts questioning the reliability and quality of newer pistols, I want to ask a question, What is your most reliable pistol and why?

To start us off, For me the answer is the Beretta 92 series which have been absolutely bulletproof for me over many thousands of rounds fired. I have never had a weapon related malfunction with either Beretta and both will eat any ammo that I feed it. Build quality on both pistols has been excellent. Total years owning a Beretta 92: about 20.

I've been fortunate to own a variety of very good pistols including Springfield M1911, S&W M&P, CZ-75, among others but at the end of the day the Berettas have been the most reliable.

RHINOWSO
08-11-17, 14:04
Hmmm.

My 1995 (KF) SIG P220 / 45 ACP has about 6K through it (don't shoot it much anymore, once a year for a couple mags) but in all that time it had a single malfunction (failure to feed) during an extended range session where mags were getting sandy and that gummed it up. I've owned it for 22 years and the majority of that shooting was in the first 3 years.

My HK45C has been bomb proof, only 4K or so through it but never fails to go bang. It definitely lives up to the hype. Don't carry or shoot it much either anymore but I'd say it's my most reliable pistol.

I had a Beretta Brig 9MM back in the day, it was also flawless except with some powderpuff loads, would eject but not get the next round. But not the fault of the pistol, just a friends crappy reloads.

I have been fortunate as I started with SIG in it's glory days (IMO) and never bought any really crappy guns. I'd say the worst I ever bought was a P290RS and G27, both worked fine but I didn't like them much. I'm thankful I listened to my gut, buying a P220 back in the summer of '95 instead of listening to a bubba telling me to get a Para Ordnance and have it sent off for all sorts of work. To me, a gun newbie, it didn't make sense to buy a new gun then need to send it to someone to make reliable. The SIG lived up to my expectations, especially seeing as I didn't even know you could do more than field strip it for the first 10 years I owned it. :D Man it was cruddy in the frame when I finally detail stripped it!

Doc Safari
08-11-17, 14:10
GLOCK 17. If you have to ask why, you've never owned a Glock.

Lefty223
08-11-17, 14:11
Mid 1990s vintage CZ-75B, paid $300 for it new, w/ tritium night sights and three 16-rnd magazines.

Why the most reliable? - Because in 20+ years of shooting, not only is it unbelievably accurate, it has NEVER had a malfunction! I diamond-honed the Kadet 22LR replacement slide w/ target sights and my scores with it rivaled that when I used a S&W model 41 in bullseye competition.

SomeOtherGuy
08-11-17, 14:13
This is going to sound cliche, but my highest round count is on a G17 I bought used, followed by a G19 I bought new, both Gen3. Both have been very close to 100% reliable in all conditions and all types of ammo I've tried. It may actually be 100.0% but I'm not certain. Either one I can simply pick up and use without worrying about general reliability, magazines, or specific ammo brand/type issues. And in fact the G17 is my competition gun and the G19 is my EDC. Although I clean them somewhat regularly, they stand out for NOT getting sluggish when dirty, unlike some pistols I like better for fun shooting (CZ-75, for one; 1911 in 38 Super for another).

All this despite the fact I hated Glocks for years, mocked them, etc. and I still find them ugly and totally lacking in hobby appeal. But they just plain work.

I've had roughly the same (100% to best of my memory) reliability with a Ruger P89 that was my first pistol and a P94 that was my second, but I have a much lower round count on those, maybe 2000-3000 on each. Not heavily used.

Since I'm a bit of a ... umm... collector, yeah that's it, I have several other pistols that have had zero to near-zero malfunctions, but the round counts aren't high enough for that to be really meaningful.

Det-Sog
08-11-17, 14:26
My manufactured in 1995, Sig-Sauer P229 two tone satin finish, chambered in .357 Sig.. It was primary duty weapon for my last sixteen years as a LEO.

It's mechanically flawless. It's just one of those 1 out of 1000 that comes out of the box "perfect". It has the best double action trigger that I've ever felt. Even better than any custom revolver I've ever handled. It's perfectly smooth. Thousands of rounds downrange and never a hiccup. This little bugger kept me safe on the streets for years. I will NEVER trade this one away. Firearm-wise, it's my prized possession, mainly for sentimental reasons as it has saved my @$$.

Very accurate and reliable. Definitely MY favorite. ETA: The ONLY other weapon that I ever owned from start to finish with ZERO malfunction was my circa 1989 W. German P226. I traded it to get this 229... I wish I'd have just saved up and kept the 226 instead of trading, as It saved my buns and kept me safe on patrol also. I really miss that one for sentimental reasons, but prefer the P229 overall. I'm glad I switched.

CDR_Glock
08-11-17, 14:28
I agree that the Beretta 92 is a great pistol. I wasn't a fan of fixed sights but if I got another I'd get one with the option for Tritium sights.

My Glock 19 is ultra reliable for me. Any ammunition such as aluminum, brass or steel work. FMJ or JHP. Slow or rapid fire.

Even shoots upside down and Sideways.

Best of all, I don't even oil it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gödel
08-11-17, 14:39
Of common guns, the Beretta 92 feed system is by far the most reliable - tilting barrel guns just make it harder to get a round in the chamber and extract it. I have had several other pistols that never hiccupped - like the HK P9S, P7M8, USP and SIG P225. I've had the occasion jam with Tanfoglio CZ clones and a G19. But the Beretta feed system makes the rounds just fall in and out of the chamber.

DirectTo
08-11-17, 14:43
Glock 17 Gen 2...poor thing was my competition pistol for years...the grip texture was worn smooth, frame had scratches and dings and the grip was missing a piece from a botched reload, slide was scratched and finish worn all over, factory sights were rounded off before being replaced. I did recoil springs every 3000, everything else on failure. I had a trigger spring break, among a couple of other minor things. Wore a few mag springs out. But it just kept on trucking. Was it perfect? No. It had more than a few FTEs with factory ammo. But given the amount of use, it did a pretty solid job, and I would have had no qualms about throwing it in a holster and carrying it out.

I've got a P-07 and USP I think could both give it a run for its money, the -07 is doing competition and should catch its round count in six years or so, and the USP is a USP.

Kain
08-11-17, 14:55
Depends how we counting reliability, if we are talking no albis for ammo or mag issues then my Beretta 92SB would probably be first, in the 5 or 6 years I've owned it, and several thousand rounds I've put through it from steel cased tula to, silver bear, to Remington UMC, to S&B, to Speer Gold Dot with everything from Factory Beretta mags it came with, new production mags, 30 rd beretta mags, even $5 surplus Checkmate mags still covered in sand, I have only had one malfunction with it. A stovepipe, literally, in the first 300 rounds I put through it after buying it used where it had sat in a drawer for 12 or 14 years, no cleaning, no lube, just to the range with a bag of ammo and away we go.

MegademiC
08-11-17, 16:08
M&P40.

My Glock has been having "issues", but I think I just discovered that it's the extended slide lock being pushed by my hand. The gun came with it, so I'll be switching to a stock slide lock, then we shall see.

My m&P has around 5k rounds through it and 0 malfunctions (one ruptured case).

Edit just to verify glock issue confirmed to be extended slide release.

dobe
08-11-17, 16:10
Beretta 92, HK P30 ( One of which has 12,300 rounds through it), HK45.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WickedWillis
08-11-17, 17:52
Up until about a week and a half ago I would have said my EDC Glock 19 Gen 4. Weekend before last at the range doing some drills, and my take down lever blew out. Now, this is the 2nd time I have had this happen on a Gen 4 Glock (The other was a G23). I have roughly 7k down range with it with every type of ammo you can imagine, and only had one failure to eject one time, with only a handful of brass to face I can remember. I love this gun, so I bought a new take-down lever and replaced the recoil spring for the first time, we will see how it does going forward.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4425/36463197806_0bd21641c7.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Xy8qmf)2017-08-11_03-47-06 (https://flic.kr/p/Xy8qmf) by Willis (https://www.flickr.com/photos/140211446@N06/), on Flickr

So right now I would personally say my P30L with about 700 rounds through it since I bought it from a member here. The HK just shoots so much better than I can and it's ate everything from Aluminum to Tula steel, to +P+ stuff. Great thread BTW!

ccosby
08-11-17, 18:57
Do revolvers count? I have a 686+ that has a lot of rounds through it without issue.

Actually out pretty much every pistol I've had has been very reliable. Recoil springs wearing out is the only real issue I've had and I can't knock the pistols for that, they were past due for replacement. The two pistols I have put the most rounds through.

I have a M&P9 that I lost count at around 6k rounds. As long as I wasn't using like blazer aluminium ammo it would run. It doesn't get shot as much but I'm guessing it has at least a few more cases through it.

I also have a sig p220 that I used in idpa for a few years. It had the older internal extractor that they had issues with and it still ran. A few years ago I mailed it back to sig for one of their promotions(night sights, new springs, trigger upgrade) and they replaced the slide with the newer style with the external extractor. I'm sure the gun has failed via a jam before but I can't think of one. Round count has to be above the M&P listed above. Worst I've had is failure to fire due to bad primers(mostly on wolf steel cased ammo that was bought during an ammo scare).

CAVDOC
08-11-17, 19:57
Hands down my S&W pre model 15 combat masterpiece all original parts well over 60 years old.
In semi autos I would agree with a beretta 92. Every one I used either privately or in military service plain ran no matter what ammo was in it- I even used it for some indoor bullseye competition with a real light charge of bullseye powder and 158 grain semi wadcutter bullets designed for the 38 special and it still ran.
My glock 26 would be a close second.

hotrodder636
08-11-17, 20:05
My HK P30. Over 2800 rounds, not a single gun malfunction. Shoots very well and feels great in the hand. My Glock 19...it worked but had the crappy ejection issues, traded it for a USP.

ritepath
08-11-17, 20:08
Good question...

Going by years without failure I would be my P89 @ 23 years
Going by rounds either my CZ 75, P-09 or Shield all with thousands or reloads down range without issue.

I really don't have long term tests because I normally lose interest and dump most pistols in 3 or 4 years.

nimdabew
08-11-17, 20:38

I had a G19 that was POS. Never again.

My 9mm shield with about 6k roudnds down the tube and not a single malfunction. I hope my second one I bought with the rebate thing will be as reliable.

I922sParkCir
08-11-17, 21:38
I would say my 2007 M&P9 FS. Thing just ran. I ran it to 4k rounds of my dirty reloads until it finally had a stove pipe. Just replaced the recoil spring and cleaned it. 13k rounds with just 3 failures to eject.

I kept that thing so dirty that just handling it would get carbon all over your hands.

Unfortunately, it was not accurate. I just thought I didn’t shoot it well, but I ran into a guy at the range with another M&P.

My gun on the left, his on the right. Same shooter (me) same ammo (mine). 25 yards. He had a 2012.

I traded it for an early blue label Gen 4 Glock 34. I told him the M&P wasn’t accurate at distance, and he was fine with it. I wish he told me that the Glock 34 was completely unreliable. Had constant ejection issues. Replacement of every spring, trigger housing to the latest ejector (still unreliable), Apex extractor (better) and White Sound HRED brought it to perfect working order.

I miss that M&P.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-12-17, 00:53
HK P2000, HK45, Beretta 92G-SD are all amazingly reliable

Rayrevolver
08-12-17, 07:21
Glock 26 with 3k has been 100%. Glock 34 also 100% with about 5.5k.

I am starting to shoot a USP9T exclusively but it's gonna be forever to even hit 1k rounds. Shooting PCCs mostly and 22s.

Achilles11B
08-12-17, 07:41
I've had my Gen 3 Glock 17 for about three years and 7k rounds now. It reliably places the bullets where I want them to go and without any drama. Now it's doing good things as a suppressor host with the same results.

Krazykarl
08-12-17, 08:43
G27 purchased in 1994. Original magazines, dirty from ankle carry, finish worn to a smooth grey. Never had a problem with it. Probably need to replace those springs....

SquarePizza
08-12-17, 08:46
Oddly my G26 is getting worse with age. Nearing 1k rounds it no longer wants to cycle any reloads using Unique powder, those I loaded with bullseye cycle fine so it may be that it just doesn't like unique. Too bad I loaded a bunch...

My g26 also started getting FTFs with any winchester steel case that I fed it.

Conversely, I have a 1981 Sig P6 that feeds any 115 or 124 grain bullet that I feed it, including HP, and my reloads with unique (looks like an extended range session is in order to burn it all up).

I am honestly thinking of switching from g26 to an HK p30sk for my subcompact carry.

crusader377
08-12-17, 09:22
So far have some interesting feedback on this thread. A couple of observations so far:

1. Even though polymer framed, striker fired pistols dominate the market place, with the exception of Glock and 1 or 2 entries for the M&P, they are not dominating this thread and metal framed, hammer fired and hammered fired, polymers are still doing very well.

2. Many of the older designs are doing very well, the Beretta 92, Sig P220 series, and CZ-75 have all been mentioned multiple times. Interestingly enough, all three pistols were introduced within a year of each other in the mid 1970s. Sig P220 (1975), CZ-75 (1975), Beretta 92 (1976). Now if you add Glock to the fray Glock 17 (early to mid 1980s), the bulk of the pistols dominated this thread are pretty old designs.

3. The bulk of the pistols mentioned were designed first for the military market. Sig P220, CZ-75, Beretta 92, HK 45/HK P30, and Glock 17/19 were all first designed for military uses and assumingly had a long testing process in there development.

4. Some of most mentioned pistols on this thread are polar opposites of each other. For example if you look at a Glock against a Beretta 92, totally different philosophy of design and manufacture. The Glock is a very simple almost workman type gun with very few parts which pointed the way forward in firearms manufacture, in contrast to the Beretta 92 which has nearly twice the part count, very finely machined and engineered, and almost a throwback to earlier years of gun making. End of the day, when probably executed both design and manufacturing philosophies seem to work very well.

I'm sure there are other takeaways but these are the ones that jump out for me.

TriggerFish
08-12-17, 10:38
P229 357 SIG

Ron3
08-12-17, 11:15
My @13k round Glock 19.

Honerable mention to my Beretta Cheetah..it's been 100% but still young and under 2k rounds

itsmcgavinson
08-12-17, 11:48
Easily my Glock 19 Gen3. Owned it since 2010, and not one single FTE or FTF with just about any 9mm load.

Talon167
08-12-17, 12:19
My USP45. I've not abused a pistol more than that one and it doesn't seem to care. A little over 12k though it and they've been some hard miles. No parts changes/replaced.

In close second my P30L 9. About 15.5k though that one and it's proving to be very rugged. It's also seen some hard miles. Just replaced the TRS (literally today) as preventative but no other spring changes or maintenance done.

dobe
08-12-17, 12:24
My USP45. I've not abused a pistol more than that one and it doesn't seem to care. A little over 12k though it and they've been some hard miles. No parts changes/replaced.

In close second my P30L 9. About 15.5k though that one and it's proving to be very rugged. It's also seen some hard miles. Just replaced the TRS (literally today) as preventative but no other spring changes or maintenance done.

Will keep functioning with little maintenance for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gödel
08-12-17, 12:41
So far have some interesting feedback on this thread. A couple of observations so far:

1. Even though polymer framed, striker fired pistols dominate the market place, with the exception of Glock and 1 or 2 entries for the M&P, they are not dominating this thread and metal framed, hammer fired and hammered fired, polymers are still doing very well.

2. Many of the older designs are doing very well, the Beretta 92, Sig P220 series, and CZ-75 have all been mentioned multiple times. Interestingly enough, all three pistols were introduced within a year of each other in the mid 1970s. Sig P220 (1975), CZ-75 (1975), Beretta 92 (1976). Now if you add Glock to the fray Glock 17 (early to mid 1980s), the bulk of the pistols dominated this thread are pretty old designs.

3. The bulk of the pistols mentioned were designed first for the military market. Sig P220, CZ-75, Beretta 92, HK 45/HK P30, and Glock 17/19 were all first designed for military uses and assumingly had a long testing process in there development.

4. Some of most mentioned pistols on this thread are polar opposites of each other. For example if you look at a Glock against a Beretta 92, totally different philosophy of design and manufacture. The Glock is a very simple almost workman type gun with very few parts which pointed the way forward in firearms manufacture, in contrast to the Beretta 92 which has nearly twice the part count, very finely machined and engineered, and almost a throwback to earlier years of gun making. End of the day, when probably executed both design and manufacturing philosophies seem to work very well.

I'm sure there are other takeaways but these are the ones that jump out for me.

I completely agree that weapons designed to win military contracts are generally more likely to work well than those designed to please retail buyers.

I do think the Glock parts count thing is completely exaggerated and misunderstood. Glock parts counts are based on part assemblies, not actual pieces like the way Beretta keeps track of parts. And a Glock doesn't have two grip panels, 4 grip bushings and 4 grip screws. Once you compare the actual number of discreet parts each pistol has involved in operating the pistol, the difference between the two shrinks until there is barely a difference. Low parts count is primarily Glock marketing. The actual mechanical simplicity is something of an illusion.

If the question of reliability in general was extended to include not doing any maintenance or reliability at very high round counts, I would definitely say that HK appears to have the most durable small parts and springs. But I do think that is a different question than straight out reliability.

Evel Baldgui
08-12-17, 14:32
CZ 75.

SiGfever
08-13-17, 09:18
HK USPc.

EzGoingKev
08-13-17, 09:26
I have a G19 that was pieced together using a Gen3 Glock 23 frame, 30274 ejector, and a Gen2 Glock 19 top end on it. I have a Surefire x300 light on it. The mags have the latest follower and Wolff +10% springs.

I have carried it for years and put about 8k rounds through without any issues.

czgunner
08-13-17, 10:20
My early M&P9 full size, VP9, shield 9 and p239 357 have been 100%.

sndt1319
08-13-17, 16:21
I'm surprised so many people say their 92SF is their most reliable pistol. Mine is my least reliable. I get a ton of double feeds using factory magazines and FMJ ammo. It happens enough that I've basically only bring it out when I want to brush up on the platform before I qualify. I haven't been shooting much the last year but I just got a membership at an indoor range local to me to increase my frequency.

I've wondered if my grip is causing the issue as so many people swear by these guns.

TactiCool1976
08-13-17, 16:45
my G19/17/26 and sig 1911 have the most rounds fired thru them and not a single issue... even my g23 and g20 havent given me a issue, but i havent put a bunch of rounds thru them..

Gödel
08-13-17, 18:05
I'm surprised so many people say their 92SF is their most reliable pistol. Mine is my least reliable. I get a ton of double feeds using factory magazines and FMJ ammo. It happens enough that I've basically only bring it out when I want to brush up on the platform before I qualify. I haven't been shooting much the last year but I just got a membership at an indoor range local to me to increase my frequency.

I've wondered if my grip is causing the issue as so many people swear by these guns.

It sounds like something is broken/bent/wrong in your gun. You should have it looked at. Double feeds - I assume you're talking about a failure to eject or a failure to extract - can have many causes but shouldn't ever happen.

If the gun has ever been fired with steel cased ammo, clean the chamber with acetone. Then check the extractor and ejector. Take any non-standard recoil springs or buffers out.

Pilot1
08-13-17, 19:23
All my pistols are reliable, but I have four CZ-75 variants that I shoot the most. They never have issues, and are very accurate. However, by Browning Hi Power, HK P7's, and the Beretta 92FS have been just as reliable for me. A CZ gets carried the most, and one sits in my nightstand also, so.....

T2C
08-13-17, 22:33
To date, my current Glock 22 is the most reliable pistol I own. It has a round count of 19,000 give or take. The last Glock 22 I owned lasted close to 60,000 rounds before the left rear slide rail on the frame cracked. The pistol still ran when I got rid of it. I've seen 9mm Glocks last a lot longer.

Delta-3
08-13-17, 23:05
This might surprise you gents but my 29 yr old Colt series 80 gov't model has right under 18,400 rds through it over the years & I cannot recall EVER having a malfunction of any kind. It is still very accurate & has all original parts in it, save for the commander hammer I put on it in '89. (it has been refinished though)

Gödel
08-13-17, 23:27
This might surprise you gents but my 29 yr old Colt series 80 gov't model has right under 18,400 rds through it over the years & I cannot recall EVER having a malfunction of any kind. It is still very accurate & has all original parts in it, save for the commander hammer I put on it in '89. (it has been refinished though)

A used 1911A1 competed in the XM9 competition and did rather well. It is a reliable design when executed correctly and fed reasonable ammo.

gtmtnbiker98
08-14-17, 08:46
For me, it's been the P226 in just about any form. Currently, I have a pair of MK25's and a Legion 9mm. All of them run, pretty simple.

pat701
08-14-17, 10:50
All of my Sig P series pistols, P220, P239, P227, W/G P226, and P226 Legion have been bet your life reliable for me. It is just my experience. World class combat pistols IMHO.

Watrdawg
08-14-17, 14:04
Either My M&P45 Middy or my Gen 4 G19. I've put at least 5K round through the M&P and about 3K through the G19. No issues with the M&P at all and after fixing the FTF issues with the G19 no issues. Both are are more than accurate and run with any type of ammo I put through them.

Freelance
08-14-17, 16:43
All of my Sig P series pistols, P220, P239, P227, W/G P226, and P226 Legion have been bet your life reliable for me. It is just my experience. World class combat pistols IMHO.
MK25 / P226R

This, I've shot the Sig P series of pistols for the last 20 + years and they have been the best pistols I have ever owned or shot. P220, P226, P229, P230, all have been super reliable for me and a pleasure to shoot.

My M&P9 FS has been a very reliable pistol for me as well, with 5000 + rounds down the pipe ATP, and never had an issue with it not functioning as it should.

JavierR
08-14-17, 23:46
My XDM 9mm 3.8 compact , it has over 7.5k rounds no issues what so ever, this gun just runs with all kind of ammo. On the other hand my Glock 19 Gen 3 which has over 3k rounds had a few FTE and FTF.

Glock 43 and Shield with 2.5k rounds each, both have been 100%.

BuzzinSATX
08-15-17, 05:50
My XDM 9mm 3.8 compact , it has over 7.5k rounds no issues what so ever, this gun just runs with all kind of ammo. On the other hand my Glock 19 Gen 3 which has over 3k rounds had a few FTE and FTF.

Glock 43 and Shield with 2.5k rounds each, both have been 100%.

I own an XDM 3.8 compact in 9MM as well...mine is all black. Several thousand rounds and never a flinch. Ran lots of shitty Freedom Munitions reman through it with excellent results. Had an XDM .45 and same results. Excellent guns.

I mainly own Gen 4 Glock's, and while most have run flawlessly, had a G21 that spit brass back at me way too often and sold it. Have had BTF issues with several Glock's and have finally realized that while Glock's will operate on most any ammo, they SUCK ejecting weak ammo. I've gone to running mainly Fiocci and Speer Lawman and having better luck with ejections...primarily in 9MM. FWIW, my G23 has the most rounds through it, well over 15K, and the only single issue ever was a kaboom with BVAC reman ammo in 2010. Put a KKM barrel in it and never had an issue since.

My three 9MM Shields have been flawless for at least 1K rounds each. No complaints. My Ruger P89 was a tank, never failed me. The couple Sigs I owned ran fine...as did every revolver (Ruger and Taurus).

Only gun that really was an issue was a G21 that I sent back to Ruger twice, but today, I suspect it was the weak FM ammo I was feeding it.

Guess I've been lucky. I'm getting ready to buy my first CZ. Still trying to figure out if it will be a P01, 75C, or P07. Want a good SA/DA to shoot from time to time, as I mostly own strikers these days.

YMMV

Nick B
08-15-17, 09:11
I have a Glock 17 Gen4 that I used in competition . At just over 9K rounds now it failed once and that was a broken firing pin at 8312 rounds .
My Cajun CZ SP01 has over 6K rounds and has never failed in any way .

1986s4
08-15-17, 10:06

Only issues I've ever had with many years of shooting M9's where caused by worn extractor [one] and worn mag springs.

Unreliable pistols do not last long in my employ. So, all of mine are reliable. My '91 CZ 75 is my oldest and most oft used and it has been flawless with all kinds of reloads and bullet shapes. Years ago it had some FTE's, when I removed the extractor I was amazed it worked at all it was so fouled with carbon build up. Cleaned up, new Xpower spring and back to work. I've worn out several magazines and many mag springs + one sear. All other parts are original.

Classic Sig P225: reliable.
2014 Colt .38 Super Auto: Modest customizing, it has been through two 2000 round tests. One all factory ammo the 2nd mostly reloads. Only issues caused by Checkmate 10 round mags.
Smith 686 and 13: reliable.

skorittnig
08-15-17, 12:02
Glock 19. Feeds and extracts any ammo I feed it. I carry it daily.

MSparks909
08-15-17, 15:57
My current highest round count handgun is one of my Beretta PX4 Compact Carry's. Hit 5,100 with the "training" gun today. Zero malfunctions. This particular gun has completed the 2,000 Round Challenge and it has not been cleaned since 2,200 rounds. I add a few drops of lube every 750-1,000 rounds fired. I'm planning on taking it to ~7,500 rounds (which would mean over 5,000 rounds with no cleaning) before I clean it again or until I have the first malfunction. The PX4 gets a lot of undeserved flak in my opinion. Damn shootable guns with minimal modifications and they're a heck of a lot of pistol for the money; I picked up a PX4 full size G model (decocker only) & 3 mags from Arms Unlimited last week for $375 shipped...screaming deal! These are 50K + round guns, easily. Recoil spring every ~10K, rest of the springs (and maybe the extractor) every 20K. I've been absolutely impressed with their shootability and reliability to this point. I dare to say I like them more than my stable of B92s...and that's saying something.

Next highest round count gun I have is my Beretta Brig Tac, which only has 3,500 through it. No malfunctions. Hope to get more rounds through this after the LTT Advanced Class in October...sticking with the PX4 CC until then.

In the first part of 2014 I took a new manufacture Gen 3 G17 to 5,000 rounds with no cleaning. The first 2,000 rounds was part of the 2K Challenge; straight out of the box no extra oil. Once it hit the 2K Challenge, I added a few drops of oil and then lubed every ~1,000 until I hit 5K. It was certainly dirty after 5K rounds without cleaning, but it never caused an issue. Finish on the internal parts and barrel was hardly worn. Sold it when I was pressed for cash and that's the one Glock I do regret selling because it never gave me BTF. I've got a 19G4 (wife's gun) that pelts me in the head with regularity :mad:

Took a VP9 to 5K in 2015 with no issues. It also completed the 2K Round Challenge. Sold it last year.

Warp
08-15-17, 22:24
Gen4 Glock 19.

Because I have fired 4,000 rounds through it with 100% flawless function, not even so much as an 'operator error' involving the slide lock and locking back or not, nothing but perfection.

Second place is a VP9 with about 3400 rounds through it, with the only non-perfect action being a failure to return to battery in the first 150 rounds while using WWB 115gr.

I've run both guns so hot I couldn't put them back into my IWB holster, set them in loose dust/dirt slide open (got all gritty inside, could hear and feel it for both), and then went back to shooting.

montrala
08-16-17, 05:37
HK P2000 9mm - ~15K rounds. Only stoppages of any kind were due to batch of S&B ammo with dead primers (2-3 dead primers per one 50rd box). Several times slide did not lock back due to me riding slide release lever.
HK USP Expert .40SW - ~10K rounds. 2 stoppages. One was FTE when I was shooting weak hand only (right hand in my case) with my hand around barricade aimed at target to the left (my wrist was like 90dgr to the left). Call it extremely limp wrist in this case. Second case was FTE due to split case (Magtech 180gr FMJ). And that is all.

And then all my other HKs (P2000SK, P30, P30L, SFP9 and P7M13), that were boringly reliable (with exception of P30L flatly refusing to work on Barnaul 115gr steel cased and CCI Blaser 115gr alu cased when pistole was new from the box), but did not enjoy so high round count in single one as 2 mentioned above.

My Glock 17 Gen4 was also very reliable for me, but I only shot 2K rounds from it.

HeruMew
08-16-17, 09:42
Glock 26.

Once I got my grip right, having only shot full-size and transitioning to a sub-compact, I limp wristed the first few magazines. Did my research and got set right.

Thanks to MrGnG for one of his older videos focusing on Grip, really pushed me to be a better shooter and move from the casual plinker and self-defender, to actually giving a crap about how I was using the platform versus just shooting.

I've daily carried a few different guns, but I have had great reliability with this glock, I tested it by dirtying it up with a few hundred, carried it as a backup gun for a few weeks, it filled with pocket lint, and I never experienced the supposed "lint lockup" that people perpetuate. It fired when I wanted it to. It's now my daily carry and gets routine range sessions in the back yard and cleanings.

At nearly 3k since I got this one.

Prior to this, I carried a Canik 55 TP9 v1, at 6k though my "Double Action" effed up and would start releasing prior to the firing pin block being moved out of the way (specifically when firing weak hand and the trigger pressure was being pulled to the left of the frame). I could still carry it in single action, but it was only a temp solution until I went with a known-name brand. It was a very reliable pistol too, until that trigger issue. They wanted me to work with their gunsmith (that used to be the head of repairs for the Canik line at Century Arms) and they wanted $295 to rebuild my trigger bar and "pack". I reminded them I could buy a brand new Canik with lifetime warranty for about 30 more; than I told them I would not be doing that. Traded to the next owner at a loss with warning about the issue.

bigten109
08-18-17, 00:50
Glock 17 and HK USP .40 S&W (from early-mid 2000's). How the H&K remains that functional after thousands of rounds of .40 S&W without parts change is beyond me. But they built it like a tank.

TactiCool1976
08-19-17, 00:02
i hate reading about all these boringly reliable handguns we have.... drives me nuts..... lol

thursday i ran another couple hundred rounds thru my glock 19 and glock 20 and sig 1911 without any issues..... such is life

Nightstalker865
08-22-17, 19:04
My 92G-SD. It doesn't matter what I do with it, just continues to chew through ammo with perfect reliability.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170823/e7f74a3d497ab2f42b9e49817464e5d5.jpg

I922sParkCir
08-22-17, 22:45
My 92G-SD. It doesn't matter what I do with it, just continues to chew through ammo with perfect reliability.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170823/e7f74a3d497ab2f42b9e49817464e5d5.jpg

That’s not even fair!

My Super Dave has about 1,500 rounds though it with one stoppage from very weak ammo I made to introduce first time shooters to the culture.

09-01-17, 08:59
My Glock 17, purchased when I was 21 or 22 was highly reliable. It was fed the cheapest bs ammo I couldn't afford and had exactly one malf in its time with me, don't remember the type. I sold it to a buddy because I hated the grip, and my 1911 could tell when I had been cheating on her. Now that I'm slightly older, I don't get all emotional about handguns and have grown out of thinking the .45ACP 1911 is the best gun ever. I should have kept the Glock and left the 1911 in the last century where it belongs.

Sig M11 was 100% reliable, and much loved. Had to get some sort of roll pin in the frame replaced once, but no stoppages.

3 out of 4 revolvers I have owned have been 100%, no matter what they were fed. Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt, a Uberti and a Cimmaron SAA replica each in .45 Colt. The Redhawk was fed almost exclusively with very hot handloads. The SAA's have eaten a lot of black powder and 777 in addition to factory loads. I bought the Uberti 5.5in "pre-rusted" and still have it and shoot it regularly. One of the grips chipped and has a large chunk missing that I have sanded down and will finish today. The only one with problems is a cheap cap and ball in which the triggerguard screws pulled straight out of the brass frame.

This thread has caused me to reflect on the M9. Every one I have been issued was beat to hell with who-knows-what kind of round count. They each went bang every single time, and never broke while in my custody. Each was plenty accurate if I did my job well. But, I hated them due to the large grips and frame with the hump on the backstrap. And the slide mounted safety. And heavy ass trigger. I would never have considered owning one until now. So I checked out Beretta's website, and learned that the M9A3 adresses every complaint I had, if I put a lighter hammer spring in. I think I might give them another chance with a decocker-only model.

Sorry for the long post. I've been thinking about this since yesterday, because going "BANG!" Is the single most important thing for a pistol to do, IMO.

SteveS
09-01-17, 09:27
The gun I love to hate my Ruger P95. I have shot 3,000 rounds of my 3.9 gn 231 win powder and 124 gn Missouri Bullet hard cast and what ever primers I had Small rifle or small pistol without cleaning and lubing it as necessary. I have a XD tactical in 40 S@W I bought used and after 2705 rounds of my reloads there was a feed and extracting problem. I had to clean the chamber then it worked again. I also have a Ruger 22/45 that has had at least 100,000 rounds through it I bought in in the years 2000. 2 years ago the extractor fell out so I bought a Volquartson kit and it is better than new. My other pistols I clean on a regular basis.

sundance435
09-01-17, 10:57
Most reliable: Out of 13 Glocks owned and sold over time, only 1, a Gen 2 G17 that I bought used gave me any trouble. I don't have a single really high round count Glock, but I've probably shot 20,000+ rounds collectively through a few of them without any issues. Some weren't the most accurate, but I haven't found anything in 9mm that does consistently what a Glock can in terms of reliability. I've owned 3 Berettas, all variations of the 92, and other than 9mm Glocks, I consider them to be the most reliable I've owned, but they're so damn big...well, and a Ruger P90 that I wish I'd never sold and would likely survive a direct impact from a meteor. Damn thing was a beast.

Doc Safari
09-01-17, 12:52
So I checked out Beretta's website, and learned that the M9A3 adresses every complaint I had, if I put a lighter hammer spring in. I think I might give them another chance with a decocker-only model. .

Not wanting to hijack, but since it speaks to reliability. I was interested in the Beretta years ago but read too many threads on the weak trigger spring and locking block breakage. Are those things largely a thing of the past? Are they still prevalent in the 92FS or basic M9?

09-01-17, 13:52
Not wanting to hijack, but since it speaks to reliability. I was interested in the Beretta years ago but read too many threads on the weak trigger spring and locking block breakage. Are those things largely a thing of the past? Are they still prevalent in the 92FS or basic M9?

I have not seen or experienced either of those failures, but I suspect our armorers were on top of preventative maintenance behind the scenes. It was typical for them to change stuff out on M4's prior to deployments, which occurred frequently. Also, realistically Soldiers don't shoot as much 9mm per year as a competition shooter would, at least not as individuals. The round counts are high due to the pistols being ancient. I always thought the locking dongle looked frail, but it never was a problem for me or my guys.

I have heard that Beretta has addressed the trigger spring problem, but I am not sure. There are upgrades available on the aftermarket, also. I do know that they are are a few generations in with the locking block. 4th, I think. My experience with this weapon started in 2004, whatever version that was.

Maynard
09-01-17, 17:03
The CZ 75 Single Action pictured here has been very reliable along with the Kadet pistol also in the pic as long as the ammo is CCI Blazer. The SA will function with most anything except aluminum cased ammo, which is fairly typical of CZs.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/924/YXb8OX.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poYXb8OXj)

I've not seen any Blazer lately and I'm getting kinda low.

crusader377
09-01-17, 19:19

I think the locking block problem is a bit overstated. Yes early Beretta's had a weaker locking block and that combined with the military's poor maintenance program caused some problems. The newer Beretta's with the new locking block design largely corrected these problems.

This is the best video on the Beretta 92 design and it's history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2AZyOswi7g

09-01-17, 23:31
I've had a bunch of pistols, have shot many to 10K rounds or more in competition and training. I always shoot pretty stock basic stuff. Never had one that wasn't reliable enough to carry, which is either 100%, or a malfunction that is diagnosable and correctable.

Springfield Custom 5" 45, Colt 1911 5" 45 (built by Alchemy), Browning Hi Power 9mm MKIII, Sig P226 and P239 9mm, Beretta M9 and M9A1, Glocks 19, 17, 34.

I've had impressive reliability out of all of thisr.

Firefly
09-02-17, 00:45
My Gen 3 G34.
Don't look sexy but it just feels right.

I love my Gen 4 stuff, but aside from a well worn G21 that G34 has seen some heavy use.

fred
09-02-17, 01:48
1st gun ever was a 1992 BHP Practical 9mm I shot regularly for years... sorry I ever sold it.
My duty pistol, an HK USPc .40 which has proven indestructible. This is my 2nd one, issued in 2008. No failures. Lost count as far as rounds thru it, thousands and thousands, all either 135, 155, or 180 gr. JHP duty ammo. We have the purple stuff, 180 gr. FMJ for training/quals but I just started shooting that. I don't shoot it as well as others, but it runs. Wish we could buy our own when we go to 9mm.

FollowThru
09-08-17, 19:00
It sure isn't a Glock. Sorry fanboys, cry your hearts out.

Beretta 92 or Sig 226 are excellent.

Trunkmonkey4
09-08-17, 20:15
I have worked at an indoor for three years now, we follow all stated maintenance schedules and have even designed our own.

Rental guns that have "broken" beyond basic wear parts:
-G26
-G30
-92f (ammo related)
-Ruger 9s
-Ruger 9c
-Ruger GP100 *
-Ruger SP101 *
-S&W Shield
-Lots of 22lr's
-Walther PK380
-HK VP9

My choice would be a glock 19 or 17. One gun to rule them all would be a G19. If I had to choose a gun based solely on reliability with in normal maintenance and cleaning ... besides a glock it would be a quality 1911.

Our M&Ps have done well but they get shot as half as much as the Glocks. They have done well so far. Besides the shield's slide cracked.

Edit: I would also take a USP, we dont rent them so I left it out... Great guns though.

Edit 2: Worst customer service out of all of them has been Sig.

bobrad20
09-09-17, 03:23
Kimber Custom Compact M1911 Commander. I've over 12,000 rounds through it and it has never failed to go "Bang" with any type of ammo. Although it's not my only everyday carry gun, it is the one I reach for whenever I can.

Steve40th
09-09-17, 04:39
My 2004 era P226 has ran 5000 plus rounds of various ammo without any issues. It was a used LEO issued PA pistol.
My 1967 Chicom 54 , 7.62 Tokarev round, ran for a little while in Vietnam, then Dad got it, and it ran at West Point with Corps of Cadets for 7 years.
When I got it, I cleaned it and it has ran flawlessly for 5 years over 4000 rounds, no issues. I did replace all springs when I got it though.

09fatbob
09-09-17, 06:05

Ditto

sdacbob
09-09-17, 09:15
That's a tough one. Both my Sig P226 and HK 45C have been uber reliable but so has my pre B CZ75.

larryp
09-09-17, 10:25
The most reliable semi auto I've owned has been a Browning Hi-power MK III. Only one malfunction and that was a cheap magazine with bent feed lips. Bent them back with a pair of pliers and it kept working. This was during the Clinton ban days when hi cap mags were hard to find. I also have two revolvers who have never had any malfunctions at all. A 3rd generation Colt SAA in .44 special and a Brazilian contract S&W 1917.

feraldog
09-09-17, 11:40
Beretta 92 series because of decades of improvement, non-tilting barrel with straight-line feeding, and a huge ejection port.

http://www.wilddogstudios.com/uploads/6/7/8/9/67899115/ber-92d-vertec-email_orig.jpg

OttoLoader
09-09-17, 19:41
G26 gen 3 (bought new in 2010) and G19 gen 3 (bought new in 2014).
No failures of any kind. No other manufactures handguns came even close in reliability compare to these two Glocks.
Not a Glock fanboy. Yet over time I found that I usually carried a Glock.
I like my 1911 and S&W revolvers but I carry a Glock.

hotrodder636
09-09-17, 21:34
Do you remember what the Glock and HK failures were?

I have worked at an indoor for three years now, we follow all stated maintenance schedules and have even designed our own.

-G26
-G30
-92f (ammo related)
-Ruger 9s
-Ruger 9c
-Ruger GP100 *
-Ruger SP101 *
-S&W Shield
-Lots of 22lr's
-Walther PK380
-HK VP9

My choice would be a glock 19 or 17. One gun to rule them all would be a G19. If I had to choose a gun based solely on reliability with in normal maintenance and cleaning ... besides a glock it would be a quality 1911.

Our M&Ps have done well but they get shot as half as much as the Glocks. They have done well so far. Besides the shield's slide cracked.

Edit: I would also take a USP, we dont rent them so I left it out... Great guns though.

NYH1
09-10-17, 02:11
I've been pretty lucky with pistols. All my Glock's have been 100% reliable G19, 22, 26, 27, 34. All Gen 3's. I shoot both 40 S&W and 357 Sig. in my G22. After 15K or so rounds I broke a trigger pin. Didn't know it until I took it apart to clean it. Still ran great.

My SW1911 has been great. Got a little S&W Body Guard 380. Don't shoot it much but it's been reliable so far. Had a Beretta 92F, great gun. Didn't fit me.

NYH1.

09-10-17, 06:40

-G26
-G30
-92f (ammo related)
-Ruger 9s
-Ruger 9c
-Ruger GP100 *
-Ruger SP101 *
-S&W Shield
-Lots of 22lr's
-Walther PK380
-HK VP9

I see stars next to the Ruger revolvers. Can you elaborate on what happened with them? I'm also curious about the 92.

GHMann
09-11-17, 08:37
With around 2k rounds through them, I've had no problems with my Shields, both 9mm and 45 ACP. My Glock 17 Gen 2, and XDm 45 ACP 3.8" Compact have also been totally reliable with about the same number of rounds. I know 2000 rounds is not enough to call them ultra reliable, but how many rounds is enough before one feels they might be worn out and become unreliable?

WickedWillis
09-11-17, 11:42
With around 2k rounds through them, I've had no problems with my Shields, both 9mm and 45 ACP. My Glock 17 Gen 2, and XDm 45 ACP 3.8" Compact have also been totally reliable with about the same number of rounds. I know 2000 rounds is not enough to call them ultra reliable, but how many rounds is enough before one feels they might be worn out and become unreliable?

My G19 had it's first real "I have to replace this part" malfunction at just over 7K rounds. I would say anything that gives you zero trouble to 2000 rounds should be considered very reliable, then I would check at 5k, 10k, etc. I am going to do my best to run my Glock 19 into the ground to see what it's capable of going forward.

Trunkmonkey4
09-13-17, 09:27
I see stars next to the Ruger revolvers. Can you elaborate on what happened with them? I'm also curious about the 92.

Sorry about that... * was meant to say they were shot heavily and you can't expect a revolver to really last that long.

92 had customer supplied ammo shot through it and a case detonated. Bent the frame out, beretta fixed it quick & its good to go.

Glock failures most common are warn out mags (magpul ones do not last at all). Broken slide catch pins. Worn out springs (expected).

The 30 had a frame crack.

G woody
09-13-17, 17:07
My FNP9 runs with everything (always) ! I won't say it's a great gun, don't like the overly long DA pull, but it has never failed with cheap ammo, reloads, anything.

09-18-17, 09:07
Thanks for the follow up, Trunkmonkey.

Ruark
10-27-17, 20:58
Sig P2022, Walther P99AS, both 9mm. 4000 rounds through each, not a single blip.

SGT D USMC
10-27-17, 21:47
I don't claim that 1911's are the most reliable, they can be very reliable. I purchased a new colt 1991 for my son for a high school graduation present in 1991. last year during 2016 he had a failure to lock, this was the first malfunction sence new. I replaced the original recoil spring and it hasn't missed a beat sense.

He wandered into yawnder village and never returned

DGB
10-27-17, 22:12
Glock Homeland Defender 19. Bought it years ago and it has over 15,000 rounds on it. I can't find in my book any malfunctions. A shit load of different ammo, factory and reloads. Unlike my other Glock's, It is completely stock.

Talon167
10-28-17, 07:16

Update on this. Ran my P30L V1 through two classes recently. Round count now 19,041... reliable as gravity.

AndyLate
10-28-17, 08:56
I'm surprised so many people say their 92SF is their most reliable pistol. Mine is my least reliable.

I was thinking exactly the same thing about the CZ75, my circa 1995 CZ75B is a jammamatic.

Andy

1986s4
10-28-17, 15:18
I don't claim that 1911's are the most reliable, they can be very reliable. I purchased a new colt 1991 for my son for a high school graduation present in 1991. last year during 2016 he had a failure to lock, this was the first malfunction sence new. I replaced the original recoil spring and it hasn't missed a beat sense.

He wandered into yawnder village and never returned

Your Colt and my Colt must have been built by the same guy on the line. I'm not in the habit of abusing my pistols but if there is one pistol in my armory that gets just a little abuse it's my Colt government 1991 .38 super. I shoot it and put it away, repeat.. Rarely gets cleaned although I do check for lube. It has a Wilson flatwire spring with 2000+ rounds on it and I'm waiting for the shokbuff to disintegrate. With the exception of the mag release, sights, thumb safety and recoil springs it is stock. It cycles everything from low power minor reloads to IPSC major. I bought a box of Winchester small rifle primers to try out and so far zero issues, all go bang when required. The stock extractor works without the magazine in place every time.... So far that is..
Can't complain about this example.

ghostly
10-28-17, 17:23
My most reliable pistol has been my VP9. 5000-6000 rounds since the last malfunction, which was reloaded ammo that wasn't properly sized.

My least reliable has been my Gen 4 G34 and a newer production Gen 3 G19. The 19 has been golden after a new ejector and some Apex goodies. Sadly enough, the affordable pistol know for reliability took $100 worth of parts and $100 in sights before I trusted it for carry. But now it's good to go.

dirkmagurk
10-28-17, 19:50
My Glock gen 2/3 17/19s. Over the years and thousands of rounds I've only had a few problems. A broken slide stop spring in a gen 3 19, a broken trigger return spring in a gen 2 17 and a stuck case in the chamber in a gen 3 17 using some cheap steel cased ammo. Those are literally the only malfunctions I can remember ever having with these pistols.

m4brian
10-28-17, 20:36
I was thinking exactly the same thing about the CZ75, my circa 1995 CZ75B is a jammamatic.

Andy

Have you ever changed the extractor spring? It is the number one issue for CZs. Wolf spring normally makes these 100%.

jimjc
10-29-17, 12:17
Reliability has a direct relationship to how many rounds you put through the gun and what your round count is. I've had guns that were un reliable until I got 300 rounds through, then they ran perfect and I've had the opposite.

CZ's ( I have 3 now) are wonderfully reliable, very accurate, great triggers about 4 1/2 to 5 lbs. and if you shoot in competition the trigger can be made to be a 2/3 lb. ultra trigger, their fit and finish is excellent my Sig 320, 226 aren't far behind.

AndyLate
10-29-17, 19:58
I'm definitely going to try a new extractor spring in my CZ, and will try to run 300 or so rounds through it, even if I have to encourage/fight it a little to get there. I got lazy and just let it sit in the safe.

Andy

jake545
10-31-17, 11:26
CZ 75 B in 40s&w that i have had since mid 90s. This pistol has never once jammed or failed in any way, and is one of the most accurate handguns I have ever fired. That's 47/50 controlled rapid fire shots in the 10ring from 10yds (the 8ring made me cuss).
The wife also shoots the gun quite well as you can see.
I also discovered that a SP-01 9mm barrel would fit the slide as it has the same O.D. and the Mecgar mags I had would work with both 40 and 9mm, so this allows for an easy conversion back and forth. Once the barrel fitting was completed i have not had a single malfunction with the conversion either.

5.56 Bonded SP
10-31-17, 12:56
I've got about 10,000 Through a g19 and g17 that have been flawless with about half of those round counts being steel case Russian ammo.

My department has some old glocks used for training cadets with probably hundreds of thousands of rounds through them that are still running. I dont know when or if they had any maintenance or parts replaced, but those things are still chugging along, some of the barrels look like garbage but still shoot decently lol. I remember about a year ago one of the triggers stopped resetting, but it was fixed.
Eta: those things usually go about 5000 rounds between cleanings.

Ericz4253
11-02-17, 22:12

Glock 26

ejr490
11-04-17, 21:49
Sig 226 357sig. Got a lot of rounds through it. I also have a Sig 228 I bought in 1991 I think has literally tens of thousands of rounds through it. Still works great. Just well built guns I guess.

nixorz
11-06-17, 15:20
sig p229r, cz sp-01, hk usp 9 compact, and the les baer custom carry. All reliable no matter what type of ammo I run through them.