PDA

View Full Version : NoVA CCW Process

BrigandTwoFour
08-12-17, 10:42
Hey all,

Recently transplanted to the NoVA area. I've been wanting to get the ball rolling on a CCW permit. Has anyone done the process recently?

Best place to start? Any things to avoid?

sidewaysil80
08-12-17, 12:36
Just go to your county clerk at the court and drop off the application. You can use a cert from a course to fulfill the competency with a handgun cert. I think since I was mil I used a cert from military course that had handgun in the sylabus. Just check the county site for where you live and it will tell you the steps.

Wake27
08-12-17, 14:23
Hey all,

Recently transplanted to the NoVA area. I've been wanting to get the ball rolling on a CCW permit. Has anyone done the process recently?

Best place to start? Any things to avoid?

It's pretty straight forward, just look up the website of the circuit court you belong to. I'm pretty sure the process is the same statewide so if your court's website isn't great, Fairfax has directions online that are easy to understand. You just heed some type of certificate saying that you've done some training. Most gun shops can point in the right direction, as well as a quick search online I'm sure. The one I took years ago was only a few hours and mostly covered the laws regarding CCW as it should. Military can submit a DD214 or something else I think. The only downside for me was that it took the full 45 days to get mine. And I accidentally let it expire before I renewed so now I have to go back it person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tb-av
08-12-17, 14:48
Yep, VA is easy. Go to county or city you reside in. Provide proof of class completion ( Mil. LEO, gun shop, gun show, whatever ) Pay $50. Wait 30 days. Go pick up. Renew every 5.

We are "shall issue" so no hoops to jump through.

BrigandTwoFour
08-12-17, 16:32
Thanks, guys!

I have a DD214, but I was never formally qualified on small arms. I did compete in the EIC matches and informal stuff on base, but that doesn't get recorded. Do they look for weapons qualification?

Regardless of that, I feel like I should also get more information on use of force laws- so another training might be useful anyway. Any recommended spots?

tb-av
08-12-17, 17:22
If you have anything showing you took some sort of firearms class and know which end to hold in your hand you are GTG.

I would expect any of the gun ranges up your way have classes on a continual basis. They can tell you who they invite to speak on the legal aspects or the quals of any in-house person.

All VA -requires- is a classroom. The exact nature of that class should be on the State Police web site. Usually something about CCW is right on their front page.

Aside from no gun in a bar while you are drinking, schools, certain public areas, don't chase after someone to shoot them... I'm not sure you will hear much else that common sense doesn't tell you. VA is NOT a 'you can shoot them for being on your property' type deal. There needs to be a fear of death associated with whatever is going on.

You might want to check out this as well... they stay on top of things... http://vcdl.org/ Probably some links to classes on that site too.

You should review this since you live in NoVA http://vcdl.org/CarryInfo

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#ApplicationforaConcealedHandgunPermit

Wake27
08-12-17, 18:13
Depending on where you are in NoVA, VA Arms in Manassas and F3 Tactical in Chantilly are both great shops. F3 definitely hosts different classroom training so I'm sure they can give you a class to attend. For the bar thing, last I remember reading you can't CCW and drink in a bar. The way it's written, it sounds like if you want to drink in a bar then all you have to do is tuck your shirt in so that you're technically open carrying, though I wouldn't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sidewaysil80
08-12-17, 20:25
VA Arms in Manassas is a GREAT shop with good folks working there. I highly recommend them.