PDA

View Full Version : Pre Ban Complet AR-15 Lower

deerman1
08-12-17, 11:35
Where is the best place to sell a Pre ban AR-15 lower? I would like someone that needed it because of bans in their state, to get it. I don't want to rip someone off, but don't want to get ripped off. What is a good value? It is a EA lower complete with collapsible stock. Any feed back is appreciated.

BoringGuy45
08-12-17, 11:51
AR15.com. You won't hear people on this site say too much good about that site, but I at least found that you can move equipment, and pretty quickly, when you sell it there.

Gunbroker is another one, though it's often filled with really cheap bastards.

Armslist is another, but be VERY careful; it's full of scammers.

That's just a few.

dmaxfireman
08-12-17, 13:03
The bubble has burst, even more so after the election. For a while complete pre ban ars were going for north of $2k and stripped lowers for $1000-$1500. Preban ak's and mak90's were going for $1500-$2000 Now the people who wanted them have them (due to the fear of a Hillary presidency) and the demand is almost gone. Prices have tanked and they do not move very fast.

That being said I know of a couple people looking for lowers if you are interested shoot me a PM

Skylark
08-12-17, 20:33
Just curious, why would have prices tanked in states that have "state" AWB. The trump presidency does nothing to help them. All of the STATE AWB's are still in place, i.e. CT, NY, NJ, CA, MD, HI

deerman1
08-12-17, 21:24
That is what I was thinking.

Stickman
08-12-17, 22:07
Where is the best place to sell a Pre ban AR-15 lower? I would like someone that needed it because of bans in their state, to get it. I don't want to rip someone off, but don't want to get ripped off. What is a good value? It is a EA lower complete with collapsible stock. Any feed back is appreciated.

Trade it for a couple lowers that you like. For example, trade your EA lower, for two LMT complete lowers. You get two lowers that are of higher quality than an EA while getting someone in an AWB state into a real weapon configuration.

ccosby
08-12-17, 23:38
Trade it for a couple lowers that you like. For example, trade your EA lower, for two LMT complete lowers. You get two lowers that are of higher quality than an EA while getting someone in an AWB state into a real weapon configuration.

I'd agree with the above.

dmaxfireman
08-13-17, 08:58
Just curious, why would have prices tanked in states that have "state" AWB. The trump presidency does nothing to help them. All of the STATE AWB's are still in place, i.e. CT, NY, NJ, CA, MD, HI

I can only speak for CT, when the second ban went into place the market was hot. Everybody wanted a preban lower. Some people were quietly picking them up for years before this because they were not limited on "features" like post bans. So when it became popular knowledge that prebans could still be bought even though post bans could not the market became white hot, shops could not keep them on shelves, I know a few shops that were sending employees to gun shows around the country to pick up as many as they could and making huge money on them back here. Now that everybody who wanted one, has one, because they thought the legislature would try and close the "preban loophole" during the next legislative session. Prebans are still selling just much slower and not fetching the HUGE money they were a couple years ago.

As for the Trump presidency, everybody buys more when there is "impending doom" in the upcoming election. If you wanted an AR you were limited to a preban. After the election sales cooled even more on prebans.

deerman1
10-09-17, 09:36
Well I think I'll put it out there for $1000 and see what happens or put it on Gunbroker with a starting price of $1000. I can all ways put it back in the safe. Thanks for the input.

stevenravenscroft
10-09-17, 14:21
Well I think I'll put it out there for $1000 and see what happens or put it on Gunbroker with a starting price of $1000. I can all ways put it back in the safe. Thanks for the input.

Thought you didnt want to rip no one off

Hdog83
10-09-17, 17:17
In terms of value, IMHO I think $1k is probably the far upper bound for a complete lower today (October 2017). You're in a good spot with EA, as opposed to Oly/SGW or one of the other manufacturers. If it's NIB or LNIB, that would push towards the upper end of the range. Anecdotally, it seems to me that complete pre-ban carbines often go for $1100-$1400 or so on GB. Some seem to hang out for weeks/months on end at those prices and higher, however, depending on roll mark and apparent condition. (I assume that the pre-ban upper components are likely not worth much to the end purchaser in a ban state, unless that purchaser tends towards the fudd end of the spectrum....)

Mysteriously (or perhaps not so), Colt pre-bans (HBARs, Sporters, Sporter Targets, etc.), with their proprietary pivot and trigger pin sizes, and frequent inclusion of hardened steel sear blocks, seem to go for a premium (again, based on my unscientific research).

FYI in some ban states the lower will need to have been assembled into a complete rifle prior to 9/14/94 to meet the "pre-ban" test contained in the statute. This is true in MA; not sure about CT or NY. You should include that information in your listing if you know it.

If you're not in a rush, then perhaps hang it out there at $1k and see what happens. In any case, consider stating in your listing that you will only ship to an FFL in a ban state to complete the transaction, so as to cut out some of the speculators. Then again, some in adjacent parts of free America also like to have a pre-ban for when they travel into ban country, so maybe that's not the best idea.

Another potential listing site I might suggest: http://www.northeastshooters.com. Well traveled by those in MA, CT, NH, ME, VT and (to a lesser extent) NY.