PDA

View Full Version : Boring old red dot questions

BillB
08-13-17, 19:11
I am not well versed in red dot/reflex sights, I only have used one in fact, a Burris FF3 with a 3.5 moa dot, which happens to not be a "dot" at all. Now, I dont know if I have a slight astigmatism or the sight is at fault but I do have it mounted currently on a BCM RECCE type rifle and I have to say, it works, even with the slightly fuzzy dot.
So now I want to get another one to mount over my new Vortex PST 2.5-10 power scope I bought for my SPR rifle. I bought the half ring from Larue that situates a J Point flat to the bore rather than at the more common 45 degrees of most other mounts.
Optics Planet has several J Points on sale right now for a great price. They offer a 4 moa, an 8 moa and a 65 moa ring made up of single 1 moa dots with a 1 moa center dot. Which would you opt for for close range surprise targets of opportunity? My limited knowledge of and experience with these sights is telling me the 8 moa or the 65 moa ring. Am I on the right path here?

Pappabear
08-13-17, 20:00
I would either buy an Aimpoint or a Sig Romero 5 for about $150. I was very impressed with the performance the Sig for the Price. Time will tell , but if you don't have the coin, buy Aimpoint or a Vortex Sparc.

PB

Iraqgunz
08-13-17, 21:34
https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?13-Optics-amp-Mounts