PDA

View Full Version : By which all others are judged - Colt 6920

EHilderbrand
08-14-17, 09:03
Well, I've wanted one for years. I always was messing around with other projects, whether it be my SCAR, AK's or other AR's I own and just never got around to obtaining one. Recently a friend that owns a small local shop took in a Colt LE6920 with a carry handle and the M4 stock. I hadn't seen one with a carry handle in quite awhile. He had it listed at $699.99.

After looking it over for a period of about 2 weeks(which I can't believe it sat that long) I worked a deal and took it home. Upon really giving it a good once over and thoroughly looking it over, I believe it was never fired. The BCG is exceptionally clean, there is no wear on the bolt lugs. The "C" marked carrier has no wear. The firing pin has no carbon on it, there is no wear within the upper receiver. The only markings are the typical "factory" markings which all Colt's I've seen present with.

Barrel is marked 7/13. The Bolt itself still presents with a small amount of white paint. Extractor is marked with a "C" but the bolt itself is not marked MPC, C, etc. Being as I've never owned a Colt I had to do some research and evidently their markings are all over the place.

The question is, leave it stock, or modify it.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4400/35729024554_d7f1456649_b.jpg

VARIABLE9
08-14-17, 09:19
Nice. I like the carry handle - retro cool. Congrats!

ggp2jz
08-14-17, 09:23
Leave it

Doc Safari
08-14-17, 09:31
Leave it. I keep a Colt 6920 in exactly that configuration just because.

gunnerblue
08-14-17, 09:48
Leave it and practice shooting with irons.

cd228
08-14-17, 11:28
If your defensive needs are met leave it stock and revel in how light and simple it is.

wally05
08-14-17, 19:54
Leave it. If there is anything I've learned training with other officers using everything from $2k rifles down to $500 rifles, it's the shooter that makes it happen, not the equipment. Stock 6920s are beautiful things and the simplicity is nice.

SeriousStudent
08-14-17, 20:01
I would add a sling to it.

vicious_cb
08-14-17, 20:01
Well, I've wanted one for years. I always was messing around with other projects, whether it be my SCAR, AK's or other AR's I own and just never got around to obtaining one. Recently a friend that owns a small local shop took in a Colt LE6920 with a carry handle and the M4 stock. I hadn't seen one with a carry handle in quite awhile. He had it listed at $699.99.

After looking it over for a period of about 2 weeks(which I can't believe it sat that long) I worked a deal and took it home. Upon really giving it a good once over and thoroughly looking it over, I believe it was never fired. The BCG is exceptionally clean, there is no wear on the bolt lugs. The "C" marked carrier has no wear. The firing pin has no carbon on it, there is no wear within the upper receiver. The only markings are the typical "factory" markings which all Colt's I've seen present with.

Barrel is marked 7/13. The Bolt itself still presents with a small amount of white paint. Extractor is marked with a "C" but the bolt itself is not marked MPC, C, etc. Being as I've never owned a Colt I had to do some research and evidently their markings are all over the place.

The question is, leave it stock, or modify it.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4400/35729024554_d7f1456649_b.jpg

Sling, RDS, white light. Done

renov8
08-14-17, 20:09
If anything...a small optic to get you out further...

Sancho Panza
08-14-17, 20:19
Get a 14.5" Colt Barrel, with BCM A2X P&W.

Sell other barrel.

Otherwise, leave stock.

wally05
08-14-17, 20:30
Get a 14.5" Colt Barrel, with BCM A2X P&W.

Sell other barrel.

Otherwise, leave stock.

I like this guy. Go full on M4!

magister
08-14-17, 20:31
I'd be tempted to put a proctor sling, wml, and an aimpoint micro on it and call it a day.

Sancho Panza
08-14-17, 21:10
I like this guy. Go full on M4!

Only took me about 19 years to do this.

Sancho Panza
08-14-17, 21:18
Before:

After:

Sancho Panza
08-14-17, 21:22
More after:

JusticeM4
08-16-17, 01:01
You scored a pretty good deal on a great AR. Leave it stock and just shoot it as is.

I'm assuming this is not your primary rifle right?

botas.45
08-16-17, 03:10
More after:

Who has the best deals on 14.5"? I've been wanting to do this for my 6920... is it the socom barrel?

Sent from my Samsung S8 using Tapatalk

botas.45
08-16-17, 03:26
Operator nice purchase, great deal. I like the carry handle, I'd keep it stock aside from the 14.5" barrel idea to be a purist. My 6920 is the Magpul SL series with the flat top and although I love mine I like the old school look your's has.👍🤘

M4arc
08-16-17, 07:20
If anything...a small optic to get you out further...

I was going to say add a sling, BUIS and a T1 and call it day.

jl1288
08-16-17, 07:48
Who has the best deals on 14.5"? I've been wanting to do this for my 6920... is it the socom barrel?

PM Grant at G&R tactical. I just bought a Colt 14.5 SOCOM and as of a week ago he still had them in stock. If you pm him he offers a discount to fellow M4C members. A great guy to deal with. I put the SOCOM barrel on a LE6920M and am very happy with it, it also has the A2 carry handle and will stay that way.

Sancho Panza
08-16-17, 09:00
Bought my M4 standard barrel off the EE at arfcom.

Arms Unlimited has the SOCOM version for $240.

botas.45
08-16-17, 09:05
Thank you both for responding. I appreciate the info fellas👍

Beat Trash
08-16-17, 09:12
I would leave it stock for a while and shoot it. Then after you get done, add a BUIS, RDS and shoot it some more.

M4Fundi
08-17-17, 03:20
Keep it stock as is and its a great baseline to compare all your other AR rifles and upgrades to as well as the perfect trainer for new AR shooters.

Beat Trash
08-17-17, 09:08
I have more AR's than I want to disclose on an open forum, to include one that is used for work as an inter-city LEO. The majority of my AR's have at minimum, an optic and a white light.

I have a Colt 6920 that has the stock furniture and a MagPUl MBUS. Nothing else. It's actually fun to pull it out every so often and shoot it. No, it's not, "State of the Art" with a FF hand guard, after market trigger, Surefire light or a 1-6 optic. But I pulled the factory trigger, cleaned off all of the gunk, lubed it and reinstalled it. The trigger's not bad after a some rounds through it.

It's just a fun gun to shoot. Great trainer. And I forgot how light and well balanced a basic 6920 can feel compared to some of my other guns.

tsalagi88
08-17-17, 12:46
Keep it stock as is and its a great baseline to compare all your other AR rifles and upgrades to as well as the perfect trainer for new AR shooters.What he said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Renegade04
08-17-17, 13:25
Whether to leave it alone or make any modifications to it will be a personal decision. It all depends on the purpose behind having it. I bought my first LE6920 back in 2008 and started making a few changes to it.

http://i.imgur.com/eZwBxob.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sEFeYMn.jpg

What one does is up to them, but whatever is done should have purpose.

MistWolf
08-17-17, 17:30

I would not- in fact, did not- hesitate to put a Colt 14.5" SOCOM (or Colt M4 14.5" barrel) on a 6920. The swap is straight plug and play. The gas port is the right size and works perfectly with the H buffer and Colt carbine spring. The difference in handling is subtle but it is better and I've seen no difference in performance out to 400 yards. The SOCOM 14.5" barrel is only 2 oz heavier and with more mass at the chamber end, it handles heat better

botas.45
08-17-17, 18:08
I would not- in fact, did not- hesitate to put a Colt 14.5" SOCOM (or Colt M4 14.5" barrel) on a 6920. The swap is straight plug and play. The gas port is the right size and works perfectly with the H buffer and Colt carbine spring. The difference in handling is subtle but it is better and I've seen no difference in performance out to 400 yards. The SOCOM 14.5" barrel is only 2 oz heavier and with more mass at the chamber end, it handles heat better
Great info mistwolf, you guys are definitely assuring my barrel swap and I wasn't even the operator who started the thread lol... good stuff fellas.

Doc Safari
01-31-19, 13:22
I found an interesting article on the origin of the "carbine" M16 that eventually evolved into the Colt M4, LE6920. Most of us already know this story by heart, but it's still an interesting read, like revisiting a favorite book:

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/introducing-car-15-americas-ultimate-commando-rifle-39617

U.S. Army Special Forces troops were on the ground advising South Vietnamese Army units, and in that capacity, the green berets often carried older weapons such as the M-2 carbine. The M-2, dated to the Korean War, was more suited to the size and stature of Vietnamese troops than the M-14 and U.S. advisors carried them to increase commonality with the troops they advised (and sometimes led.) Although a useful weapon, the older .30-caliber cartridge lacked the power of the new, modern 5.56 cartridge.

Colt’s solution to the short rifle problem was the CAR-15. Derived from the Colt Model 607 carbine, the CAR-15 featured a sliding buttstock that reduced overall length and the barrel was shortened from the 20 inches of the M16 to 10 inches.

The Pentagon signed a contract in June 1966 with Colt for 2,815 Colt “Commando” rifles, although officially it was known as a “Submachine Gun, 5.56-mm, CAR-15”. Colt completed the deliveries within six months. The first rifles sent to the military were unmodified Colt 607s, designated XM177 in Air Force service and XM177E1 in Army service. Right away soldiers noticed some issues with the new weapon. One major problem was that the drastic shortening of the barrel led to a large, bright fireball at the muzzle and very loud gunshot report—clearly, the flash hider designed for the rifle was not up to the task. Soldiers also noted a problem with accuracy and thought the buttstock too complicated.

Within weeks Colt was back to the drawing board and the result was the new Colt 629 Commando. The 629 featured a slightly longer barrel, at 11.5 inches, and a newly redesigned flash hider. A chrome-plated chamber helped prevent gunpowder residue from accumulating in the upper receiver, leading to stoppages. The result was what the company believed was the best compromise between a compact weapon and one that generated an obnoxious amount of noise and light on the battlefield. The 629 was rebranded the XM177E2 and the Army placed an order for 510 of the E2 rifles in early 1967; the rifles to go to the U.S. Army’s Studies and Observation Group (SOG), Vietnam. Despite the bookish name, SOG was a cover for U.S. Army special forces reconnaissance teams operating in South Vietnam, North Vietnam, Cambodia and, later, Laos. Operating deep within enemy territory for days at a time, green berets and the local troops that fleshed out their recon teams liked the CAR-15 for its compactness and firepower.

Another special forces unit that used the CAR-15 in action were U.S. Navy SEAL teams. SEALs originally carried the Colt 607 but transitioned to the XM177E2 when available. Both SEALs and U.S. Army Special Forces continued to use the XM177 well into the 1970s, working around the lack of new production by cannibalizing some rifles to provide spare parts for others.

The concept of a shorty M16 went dormant into the 1980s, but in the 1990s the U.S. Army officially adopted the M4 carbine . Although not as short as the Colt Commando, as an offshoot of the original weapon separated by more than twenty years of research and development, the M4 is a more reliable and generally refined design. Today the M4 is the standard weapon assigned to U.S. Army and Marine Corps infantrymen worldwide.

My first AR was a CAR-15 clone with pencil barrel, A1 sights, and skinny handguards. My modern favorite rifle is the Colt LE6720: basically the same thing but with the 1913 rail instead of the fixed carry handle. Still, I keep a bone stock Colt M4 with the carry handle, and fat foregrips. Unlike the LE6720, which says "AR15A2" on the side, my genuine Colt M4 LE6920 says "M4 Carbine" on the side. It's a piece of history, and as close as a civilian can legally get to a real military M4 right off the shelf. I was looking at my M4 sitting on the rack last night. It looked rather lonely and unloved. It's got a few scratches from use, but it's the one that usually stays at home while I fire my 6720 or 6520 (fixed carry handle pencil barrel) carbines. I aim to change that. Next range trip the "M4 Carbine" is the one that gets shot.

Doc Safari
01-31-19, 13:50
The original Colt M4 Carbine video:

https://youtu.be/p6u2pd2Y2zk

lowprone
01-31-19, 17:13
What flash suppressor did you use to avoid it being a SBR?