PDA

View Full Version : DDM4V7 or BCM REECE 16 KMR-A?

Wooohah
08-16-17, 00:48
Picking up a new AR, just need a simple reliable gun out of the box, kinda as a "general purpose" rifle with a 1-4x optic.
I've narrowed it down to the DD M4 V7 and the BCM Reece 16 KMR-A. I've found places selling both of them at roughly the same price. I can get a $150 rebate for credit from DD right now as well.

Looking at the specifications, they're both really similar. Is one objectively "better" than the other? Or is the quality roughly the same and it just boils down to personal preference?
I'm leaning heavily towards the DD M4 V7 currently any reason I should get the BCM instead?

Thank you

TheMaroonNeck
08-16-17, 03:05
Neither is better. The real question is what type of handguard do you prefer? Mlok or keymod?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Wooohah
08-16-17, 03:11
I'll be honest I was leaning towards the DD because of the M-lok hand guard. I figured if the specs were so similar, it would just boil down to the accessories.

TheMaroonNeck
08-16-17, 03:19
I was very much considering both dd and bcm for a long time until I realized I wanted an spr (so got a compass lake upper and lower)

Doing research there are some differences. Bcm comes with a good charging handle, which can easily be changed on the DD. Furniture Wise it's up to you. DD pins and welds their gas block bcm does not, however this isn't as big of a deal. Reliability: both of them are pretty top tier and if you had any issues they fix them.

Accuracy: probably Daniel defense. I have seen some good grouping even with the hammer forged chrome lined barrels, not to say bcm doesn't have accurate barrels.

So, if I were you I would get the ddm4v7 UNLESS you really wanted that bravo company stock and grip over dds stock and grip.

Wooohah
08-16-17, 03:29
I'd actually be replacing the stock/ grip on both rifles. I really dislike DD's furniture, I also dislike the magpul stock on the BCM.
However I won't be touching the rail on the DD, and I figure replacing the Keymod is going to be $200ish ($100 if I sell the Keymod).

I'll spend roughly... $80 or so on a ACS stock and a K2 grip for the DD then a BCM gunfighter vert grip for a bit more.

I get $125 rebate from DD (Typo not 150), but I have to use it on their website. I figure I'll either pick up irons, some mags or maybe another BCG and sell it for cash.

But relatively speaking I'm more concerned about performance than I am about looks, I am looking for somewhat of a "general purpose" rifle so accuracy is pretty important for me.
I didn't go with a Lightweight barreled AR for that reason.

I'm gonna look into it a bit more, but i think I'm going to go with the DD, the cost is essentially the same for the both of them

MWAG19919
08-16-17, 07:01
I've got a RECCE 16 with the original KMR and the BFH ELW barrel, and my dad has a DDM4v5 lightweight upper with their quad rail sitting on a PSA lower. Neither of us have complaints with our rifles. My rifle is noticeably lighter because of the different barrel profile and the rail, but you said weight isn't your primary concern. We both have CTR stocks on our rifles, which i believe is the ACS without storage. I wanted to like the gunfighter stock, but it loosened up after a few months and I hate rattle.

If I could have a do-over the only thing I'd change would be the barrel. I'd pay the extra $30 for barrel flutes.

Beat Trash
08-16-17, 09:13
Between my wife and I, we have three DDM4V7lw's. No complaints.

hdrolling
08-16-17, 10:26
I don't think you can go wrong with either, maybe go somewhere that has both and put your hands on them? It sounds like it's just going to be your preference since you'll change out the furniture anyways.

I have Magpul, BCM and DD furniture and like the BCM for me as far as pistol grips. The DD is second and magpul third. it's just okay. Now when I build I use the BCM LPK that have the pistol grip because I know I like them.

As far as shooting goes I can't compare because my DD is an 18" with rifle length gas and the BCM is a mid length 16".

Stickman
08-16-17, 15:51
DD pins and welds their gas block bcm does not, however this isn't as big of a deal.

I'm sorry, what board did you think you were on?

TheMaroonNeck
08-16-17, 18:23
I'm sorry, what board did you think you were on?
Oh shoot I meant to just say pin, not weld lol. Whenever I say "pin" something I am usually thinking about pinning and welding a muzzle device onto a 14.5" barrel.

WickedWillis
08-16-17, 18:30
Picking up a new AR, just need a simple reliable gun out of the box, kinda as a "general purpose" rifle with a 1-4x optic.
I've narrowed it down to the DD M4 V7 and the BCM Reece 16 KMR-A. I've found places selling both of them at roughly the same price. I can get a $150 rebate for credit from DD right now as well.

Looking at the specifications, they're both really similar. Is one objectively "better" than the other? Or is the quality roughly the same and it just boils down to personal preference?
I'm leaning heavily towards the DD M4 V7 currently any reason I should get the BCM instead?

Thank you

Well I kind of have the exact setup you are talking about. I took my older (tube rail) DDM4V7 and put a 13" BCM rail on it with a Steiner P4Xi and turned it into a RECCE style build and I absolutely love it. I have not bench rested it and measured my groups with calipers but it is extremely accurate.

ExplorinInTheWoods
08-17-17, 19:32
Both are nice guns, but if it were. E I would roll bcm just because it's about the same price and with the bcm you get more bang for the buck with the bcm trigger, comp, charging handle, and I prefer their furniture over the Daniel defense.

Wooohah
08-18-17, 17:35
Hmmmm so technically each do have better parts over the other?

BCM has a better trigger, charging handle and comp, while the DD has a better barrel?

Wooohah
08-18-17, 17:36
I'm basically deciding between getting the DD and replacing the grip and stock... or getting the BCM and replacing the rail...

TheMaroonNeck
08-18-17, 17:43
I'm basically deciding between getting the DD and replacing the grip and stock... or getting the BCM and replacing the rail...
Have you felt either of them? I have felt the dds furniture and like the feel, so I would give DD a chance on at least their grip.

As for the bcm. If you are set on mlok but want the bcm furniture then I'd say get a bcm lower w/ said furniture and then get an upper with the mlok handguard. I just ordered an upper w/ mlok (not bcm) and can't wait to try it on out.

JRHorne
08-18-17, 21:37

So Rainier has complete BCM lowers on sale right now. Buy that, then buy the BCM upper you want without rail. Add rail of choice. Done.

Zjhagens
08-18-17, 22:02
Really either is a fine choice. I absolutely love my BCM, and personally think you get more for your money, as others have mentioned with the comp trigger and CH. I also like BCM's flared magwell. The DD has a very so-so milspec trigger, and late model ambi safeties really suck to be honest. I work and and LGS so I handle a lot of them, and they are very sticky. Not a huge deal overall as its easily swapped, but it bugs me. I do think DDs barrels are somewhat superior to BCM's.

I LOVE the KMR handguard, but if you like Mlok, DD's new Mlok handguard is really quite nice as well.

Wooohah
08-18-17, 23:08
I'm starting to have doubts about wanting the DD now, I think I may go with the BCM and swap the handguard later.
Looking at the specs more in depth... it seems like the DD is kinda... overpriced?

To my understanding the DD has a standard milspec trigger, standard charging handle and a standard A2 flash hider right?
While... the BCM has an upgraded trigger, upgraded charging handle and a mod 0 compensator.

To me right now the BCM actually seems like a better rifle if the quality is so similar. I've seen claims of the DD's barrel being more accurate, but how much more accurate? Is it a night and day difference?

I'm thinking I might just get the BCM and toss on a midwest industries Mlok for $200 and sell the Keymod for $100.

Wooohah
08-18-17, 23:10
And I hate to say, but I'm not 21. Therefore I cannot purchase a stripped lower from an FFL.
To make matters worse, I'm in Washington... where all sales must go through an FFL, so I can't even get a lower in a private sale.
(That's why I'm doing a goddamn 80% G19...)

Oh and did I mention we are blessed with a 10.1% sales tax for all out of state transfers? :D yay

Wooohah
08-18-17, 23:16
I'm thinking about just going with the BCM REECE 16 KMR A, then replacing the rail with a Midwest industries 13" Mlok. Ill keep the BCM grip and stock for now, its really similar to the furniture I want to get, which is a Magpul K2 grip and ACS stock.

Hank6046
08-18-17, 23:31
Neither is better. The real question is what type of handguard do you prefer? Mlok or keymod?

^^^This
I own a DD and a BCM, my favorite... the DD, but I think that is because the setup. It was much more expensive and I've done more to it. But if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably do a build with BCM upper.

TacticalMark
08-19-17, 00:02
OP are you in western Washington? Rainier Arms in Auburn or Surplus Ammo and Arms in Tacoma have decent inventory of rifles. Both BCM and DD built great guns. Stop by Rainier Arms and handle them, see what rails and furniture you like.

odugrad
08-19-17, 06:21
I'm starting to have doubts about wanting the DD now, I think I may go with the BCM and swap the handguard later.
Looking at the specs more in depth... it seems like the DD is kinda... overpriced?

To my understanding the DD has a standard milspec trigger, standard charging handle and a standard A2 flash hider right?
While... the BCM has an upgraded trigger, upgraded charging handle and a mod 0 compensator.

To me right now the BCM actually seems like a better rifle if the quality is so similar. I've seen claims of the DD's barrel being more accurate, but how much more accurate? Is it a night and day difference?

I'm thinking I might just get the BCM and toss on a midwest industries Mlok for $200 and sell the Keymod for $100.

Not sure if this makes a difference, but Daniel Defense actually has their own flash hider. It's not a standard A2 flash hider.

TomMontana
08-19-17, 06:29
First off, congrats on being under 21 and have enough extra play money to choose either rifle.

Both are great choices. If you plan to replace the DD grip and stock, then that takes away the DD look. Really no point in purchasing DD then. The triggers on both are usually the first thing that end up in a junk draw anyways, so not really a factor. To save money and get the rail you want, buy the BCM upper separately during the next sale. There was a BCM sale awhile back that included a "free" BCG and comp.

theorangecat
08-19-17, 08:00
I am trying to convince the family CFO that an M4V7 SLW needs to come our way.

My experience has been that the DD will normally have a bit better overall fit/finish than a BCM, but the reliability seems equivalent. YMMV. The BCM is lots easier to get configured the way you want it right off the rack, but I'm not sure that is a big deal now that it is so easy to change stuff out. I didn't like DD's in-house furniture until I gave a try, after which I left it alone... I already had a box full of furniture that was once "the latest and greatest" but didn't work out, and since nothing was broken, I didn't fix it. Buttstocks and grips are easy/cheap to change, and fretting about them on a new carbine seems a bit like choosing a car based on what floor mats it comes with.

A buddy and I bought similar carbines at the same time (mine a DD, his a BCM) and we still both alternate between wishing we'd bought the other one or being glad we made the choice we did.

toc

awdxtc
08-19-17, 09:31
DD makes nearly every part of their rifles in house, the cs is amazing if you ever need it. Not buying a rifle because you don't like the furniture is stupid. The fit and finish on both is good, the dd is better. I have both and live both but if I could only have one it would be the dd.

magister
08-19-17, 11:45
OP,

DD and BCM are both excellent, and close together in terms of quality.

There's no wrong choice here. I'd encourage you to get the set up you like best (mlok or kmr) and rest easy.

matthepanther
08-19-17, 15:49
BCM I prefer the furniture on them... I don't see much of a difference otherwise

HD1911
08-21-17, 08:53
DD all the way.

thegreyman
08-21-17, 09:12
The DD Special ($ 125) would even be more appealing if they sell their own M-Lok accessories.

Jonnyt16
08-21-17, 20:24
Just picked up a V7 SLW over the weekend and wow this thing feels great. It is most definitely one of the lightest AR-15's I've ever held. Fit and finish looks perfect but I really wouldn't care either way; this rifle is going to get beat up rightly with training, carbine classes, and runnin&gunnin out in the desert. As far as the furniture goes I actually think DD's stock and grip are some of the best both ergonomically and aesthetically but of course that is highly subjective. The rails no doubt are slim and sexy as all get out. Got Troy (ugh) sights on there right now and will throw on an Aimpoint PRO this week right after I get her sighted in with the irons. Surefire Scout, Railscales Karve handstop, and honeycomb rail covers to follow shortly thereafter. Life is good right now.

http://i.imgur.com/eA2pDJa.jpg?1

TheMaroonNeck
08-21-17, 23:06
Just picked up a V7 SLW over the weekend and wow this thing feels great. It is most definitely one of the lightest AR-15's I've ever held. Fit and finish looks perfect but I really wouldn't care either way; this rifle is going to get beat up rightly with training, carbine classes, and runnin&gunnin out in the desert. As far as the furniture goes I actually think DD's stock and grip are some of the best both ergonomically and aesthetically but of course that is highly subjective. The rails no doubt are slim and sexy as all get out. Got Troy (ugh) sights on there right now and will throw on an Aimpoint PRO this week right after I get her sighted in with the irons. Surefire Scout, Railscales Karve handstop, and honeycomb rail covers to follow shortly thereafter. Life is good right now.

http://i.imgur.com/eA2pDJa.jpg?1
Very nice. I think the price is pretty justified, but I wish DD would throw on their fixed iron sights on every rifle, that way you could buy a ddm4 a box or two of ammo, and go to town for a little bit.