PDA

View Full Version : TV Shows You Wish They Could Bring Back in All Their Glory

Doc Safari
08-17-17, 14:14
We all have TV shows we hated to see end. I'm going to be very specific here, and ask, "What TV shows do you wish they could bring back with exactly the type of episodes the originals had?" Or, to put it another way, What TV shows do you NOT want to see a remake of, but a complete resurrection of the TV show as it was in its original run?

Got it?

Okay.

My list:

1. Star Trek

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, ever topped the original Kirk, Spock, and McCoy characters and the actors who played them. Kirk would rather punch out an alien than negotiate with him. McCoy could let fly with a rant at the drop of a hat. Spock could even get homicidally pissed off for someone who's not supposed to show their emotions. As a result, the interaction between these characters was a perfect example of interpersonal chemistry that has yet to be even touched, much less duplicated, in any subsequent Star Trek effort.

2. The Night Stalker

Karl Kolchak was a twitchy loner of a reporter, more often than not the butt of derisive comments by his hard-ass boss who wishes he would just report normal news. The X Files did a good job in the early years of duplicating the creepy atmosphere of "something is going to try to eat me in this episode", but for sheer originality nothing could quite duplicate the underlying uneasiness so expertly conveyed by Darren McGavin in each episode of The Night Stalker.

3. Jericho

It was a very short-lived post-apocalyptic series, but the basic premise was both frightening and not a bit preposterous. The buildup of an obviously complicated story arc became ever more suspenseful as the series progressed. The writers were so successful at weaving their storyline, in fact, that when the show was canceled, fan protests succeeded in getting a handful of episodes produced that "sort of" wrapped up the show while leaving it open for continuation. Unfortunately, that never happened.

4. 24

The early seasons were white-knuckle, nail-biting action-adventure tales with enough suspense to keep even a jaded TV viewer watching. Too bad that as the years wore on, the show became more and more predictable and politically correct, with less and less of the plausibility that made the early years great. Remember the episode where the guy had been fatally exposed to radiation and decided to sacrifice himself by flying an armed nuke to detonate harmlessly in the desert? THAT is the '24' we need back.

5. Dragnet

"Just the Facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday used to tell interviewees. "Just the Dragnet we knew" is what we want back. The show was praised by law enforcement for portraying police work as the purview of intelligent, thoughtful professionals. Even though it has been criticized by some as being propaganda, in my opinion Dragnet did more to give birth to the modern forensic-based shows than any other TV cop show. Quincy, Cops, the CSI shows, Forensic Files, and even the complete I.D. cable channel would never have existed without the matter-of-fact realism portrayed by Dragnet.

What's your list?

Todd.K
08-17-17, 15:05
You have a list of TV shows to bring back that doesn't include Firefly?

Doc Safari
08-17-17, 15:07

Sorry. Never watched it. Not even one episode.

titsonritz
08-17-17, 15:08

Thinking the same

titsonritz
08-17-17, 15:10
Sorry. Never watched it. Not even one episode.

Shame on you, say three hail Mary's and go buy the series.

kerplode
08-17-17, 15:11
Firefly was great! You should definitely check it out.

So much potential, but totally screwed over by Fox...

If you do watch it, though, I would recommend viewing the episodes in the order they were intended, not the order they originally aired.

Doc Safari
08-17-17, 15:15
Well, for the uninitiated, why don't one of you guys tell us all what made it great, and why you want it to come back exactly as it was and not as a remake?

titsonritz
08-17-17, 15:16
Firefly was great! You should definitely check it out.

So much potential, but totally screwed over by Fox...

If you do watch it, though, I would recommend viewing the episodes in the order they were intended, not the order they originally aired.

Absolutely, the DVD/BRD has them in the intended order plus three that were not originally aired.

ggammell
08-17-17, 15:26
Airwolf

Honu
08-17-17, 15:28
yeah firefly was awesome :)

good lists also the original wild wild west was fun for its day :)

can you imagine Hogans Heros today :)

miami vice :) I missed it when it first came out was to busy with life so it on the re runs but first few years were good and got stupid kinda

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-17-17, 15:33
Airwolf

I find the theme song on youtube when I want to get jacked up. I tried to make an Airwolf video game on my Commodore 64...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8syGlAMTKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8syGlAMTKA

Damn, they blew some stuff up for that show.

nimdabew
08-17-17, 15:55
Firefly.

titsonritz
08-17-17, 16:14
Well, for the uninitiated, why don't one of you guys tell us all what made it great, and why you want it to come back exactly as it was and not as a remake?

Wiki does a pretty good job of laying it out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_%28TV_series%29

Doc Safari
08-17-17, 16:18
Wiki does a pretty good job of laying it out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_%28TV_series%29

Interesting that it seems to share the same cult status as Jericho, and a similar fate unfortunately.

titsonritz
08-17-17, 16:30
Firefly has the distinction of being the only TV show in history to be cancelled before completing it's first season and then going on to be made into a movie. It is called Serenity and was a little lacking compared to the series.

SteyrAUG
08-17-17, 16:36
High Incident. Amazing cop show, completely unPC.

MAUSER202
08-17-17, 18:10
I forgot about the nite stalker, that was a cool show. Here are a few;
Hogan'a heros
I dream of Jeanie
All in the family
X files

3 AE
08-17-17, 18:14
"Barney Miller". The cast was just great through every episode. The writing was top notch. Though labeled a "Comedy", quite a few detectives, active and retired, stated that it more closely reflected what actually went on in the squad room than any other cop show at the time. With todays penchant to be so politically correct and sensitive to society, I doubt vey much that the show could be brought back in all of it's original glory. A watered down version would be a total fail. I relish the reruns so much when they come on.

Grand58742
08-17-17, 22:54
I thought the principle behind Terra Nova was pretty sound and could have been way, way, way better than it was. Like starting from the time they sent the first people back.

Stargate Universe in Season 2 was just getting interesting. Season 1 sucked donkey balls though. Anyhow, the cast chemistry from SG1 and Atlantis just wasn't there, but it had the potential to be a Stargate meets Star Trek kind of deal.

Hated the way they ended Star Trek: Enterprise. That show could have been far better with a couple of additional seasons.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles could have been extended especially since they diverged from the timeline with T3 and whatnot.

I agree Jericho could have had a better finish as well as expanded a lot more.

Worst thing about cancelling Firefly? No Morena Baccarin...

Dienekes
08-17-17, 23:07
Barney Miller. Only cop show I could ever stand. And yes, it did reflect the actual weirdness of the job...
Jericho; sure made me think.
Combat; bought the whole series on sale. 132 episodes as I recall. Some of those episodes were too good and wrenching as hell.
Tour of Duty. The coming home episode was powerful.

Vandal
08-18-17, 00:40
1: Firefly. Serenity tried hard to wrap it up but that show had some much more to give us. Damn you Fox!
2: Southland. Best cop show I've ever seen, it did get a little strange in the last season as they went digging for drama.
3: Tour of Duty: I'd love to see a modern incarnation of this show in A-Stan, but only if it's as well done as the original.

AKDoug
08-18-17, 00:55
1: Firefly. Serenity tried hard to wrap it up but that show had some much more to give us. Damn you Fox!
2: Southland. Best cop show I've ever seen, it did get a little strange in the last season as they went digging for drama.
3: Tour of Duty: I'd love to see a modern incarnation of this show in A-Stan, but only if it's as well done as the original.

You beat me to Southland. I really enjoyed that show.

AKDoug
08-18-17, 00:55
double tap

Arik
08-18-17, 09:05
Firefly....duh!
Southland
New Amsterdam
Public Morals

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bulletdog
08-18-17, 09:35
1. The A-Team. I love it when a plan comes together...
2. BJ and The Bear. C'mon. It has BJ right in the name, and there's a chimp!
3. I can't believe no one has mentioned Knight Rider. An AI talking car with a turbo boost, jumping option? What could be better or more realistic?
4. Jericho for sure. The cancellation of that one really p*ssed me off.
5. Invasion. Number one show on TV and some stupid exec started messing with its time slot. It was gone shortly after. Whoever is responsible for moving the time slot and skipping weeks should have been fired immediately. And I want to know what happened next and how it all ended!
6. Dukes of Hazzard. I'd bring this one back solely to make the libtards look at the flag on the General Lee. Daisy Duke in her Daisy Duke's wasn't a bad thing either in the late 70's and early 80s.
7. Hell yes on the Miami Vice. I can still hear the drum line from Phil Collins, "I can feel it coming in the air tonight… Oh lord." That show made me want to live on a boat with an alligator and drive a fake, but cool looking Corvette/Ferrari hybrid.
8. BattleStar Galactica. What will those crazy Cylons do next? Plus it had Lorne F'ing Greene. And Meren Jensen really did it for me too. Competent and beautiful at the same time.
9. Six Million Dollar Man. Six million dollars was a lot of money back then. Plus that cool noise whenever he used his bionic parts in slow-mo. Heather Thomas, anyone? I had no less than three of her posters. C'mon… You remember her posters… Her poster was right next to the other Heather's poster. So close they were almost touching...

Big A
08-18-17, 10:00
1. The A-Team. I love it when a plan comes together... Burn Notice was almost the exact formula of The A-Team and was really good. The A-Team is the sole reason I own a side folder Mini-14
2. BJ and The Bear. C'mon. It has BJ right in the name, and there's a chimp!
3. I can't believe no one has mentioned Knight Rider. An AI talking car with a turbo boost, jumping option? What could be better or more realistic?The remade Knight Rider not too long ago. They substituted a Ford Mustang for the Trans Am. They even did a K.A.R.R. (Evil K.I.T.T.) and it was terrible. The show was basically a product show case as the car could transform into an F-150 and one of their crossover SUV's. It was terrible
4. Jericho for sure. The cancellation of that one really p*ssed me off.
5. Invasion. Number one show on TV and some stupid exec started messing with its time slot. It was gone shortly after. Whoever is responsible for moving the time slot and skipping weeks should have been fired immediately. And I want to know what happened next and how it all ended!
6. Dukes of Hazzard. I'd bring this one back solely to make the libtards look at the flag on the General Lee. Daisy Duke in her Daisy Duke's wasn't a bad thing either in the late 70's and early 80s.
7. Hell yes on the Miami Vice. I can still hear the drum line from Phil Collins, "I can feel it coming in the air tonight… Oh lord." That show made me want to live on a boat with an alligator and drive a fake, but cool looking Corvette/Ferrari hybrid.
8. BattleStar Galactica. What will those crazy Cylons do next? Plus it had Lorne F'ing Greene. And Meren Jensen really did it for me too. Competent and beautiful at the same time. The early 2000's reboot was pretty good if you didn't catch it.
9. Six Million Dollar Man. Six million dollars was a lot of money back then. Plus that cool noise whenever he used his bionic parts in slow-mo. Heather Thomas, anyone? I had no less than three of her posters. C'mon… You remember her posters… Her poster was right next to the other Heather's poster. So close they were almost touching...

I'll add The Fall Guy and I second the motion for Airwolf.

chuckman
08-18-17, 10:08
Emergency
240 Robert
Southland

Plumber237
08-18-17, 10:24
A little lesser known gem that fell to the Fox network's axe men was Titus...3 seasons of hilariousness, but apparently if you keep telling the Fox execs that they're idiots they will cancel your show.

TAZ
08-18-17, 11:10
CBS is remaking Star Trek this fall so one down I guess.

I'd love to see Buck Rogers redone. Mmmmmmm Erin Grey memories.

Watrdawg
08-18-17, 11:22
Used to love watching Ba Ba Black Sheep as a kid.

titsonritz
08-18-17, 11:40

Heather Thomas costarred with Lee Majors on the Fall Guy Six Million Dollar Man. The other Heather must be Locklear.

titsonritz
08-18-17, 11:42
Used to love watching Ba Ba Black Sheep as a kid.

Love that show growing up, along with F4U's.

Watrdawg
08-18-17, 13:04
Love that show growing up, along with F4U's.

If I had the money the ultimate for me would be to own and fly either a F4 Corsair or a P51 Mustang! Only way I'd come down would be to fuel up so I could keep on flying

ramairthree
08-18-17, 15:09
Magnum P.I.

Greatest TV then, before, or since.

jmp45
08-18-17, 15:14
The Job, Original Outer Limits, Star Trek and Twilight Zone.

joe138
08-18-17, 17:02
High Incident and Justified.

SteyrAUG
08-18-17, 17:42
Magnum P.I.

And perfect "as is", no need for a remake. Buy the box set and enjoy. I'd hate to see anyone screw that show up. I still remember what a disaster the movie version of "Miami Vice" turned out to be.

Sadly anything like "Baa Baa Black Sheep" can never be redone, it would be CGI bullshit and probably look like Michael Bay's "Pearl Harbor." It would be different if HBO decided to do a more accurate version of VMF-214 similar to "Band of Brothers" but I don't see that one happening.

And as much as the show was "cheese for kids", The A Team has a lot of potential to be redone intelligently. It would work especially well as a period piece in the context of the Cold War during the 1980s. But pretty sure Hollywood would screw that one up too.

I loved Justified, but I think they concluded it as well as possible and should be left alone.

Battlestar Galactica seems cursed. They original ended rather abruptly with no satisfactory conclusion. The remake showed some promise but the ending was a let down, not as bad as the original but I still felt cheated. Even worse, Blood and Sand was probably the best version I've ever seen but remained just a pilot film for a series that never happened.

We also need to consider that the message of these beloved shows would be changed. If they rebooted them the primary characters would be running around trying to stop the global warming conspiracy run by evil multinational corporations that value money over the environment, etc.

Just look at what they did to "The Wild, Wild West" as an example of how badly they can screw up a good thing. Thankfully I have the box set do I can just enjoy the originals.

Bulletdog
08-18-17, 19:00
Heather Thomas costarred with Lee Majors on the Fall Guy Six Million Dollar Man. The other Heather must be Locklear.

Dammit. I got my shows mixed up. Thanks for the correction. I do remember Farrah Fawcett guest starred in a few episodes. Her poster was right next to the two Heathers.

Bulletdog
08-18-17, 19:03
Magnum P.I.

Definitely a good one. My mother loved Tom Selleck. I love the dobermans, the car, the chopper and the setting.

Grand58742
08-18-17, 20:16
Sadly anything like "Baa Baa Black Sheep" can never be redone, it would be CGI bullshit and probably look like Michael Bay's "Pearl Harbor." It would be different if HBO decided to do a more accurate version of VMF-214 similar to "Band of Brothers" but I don't see that one happening.

I would think the overall tone would set how well it could go in a miniseries. Specifically how it was written and portrayed. You take the two HBO miniseries based around WWII. I loved Band of Brothers, but didn't care for The Pacific. I know there's always a dark side to war, but it was almost...too dark? I just couldn't get into the characters like I did with BoB.

I think Tom Hanks/Steven Spielberg could pull it off with the right support.

1_click_off
08-18-17, 20:40
Airwolf, been watching on Netflix

In the Heat of the Night

Macgyver. Hate that he hated firearms. Was watching this on Netflix before they pulled it. Think he actually picked up a firearm on that first episode.

Spiffums
08-18-17, 20:45
Airwolf

Just the 1st 3 seasons........too many asses in the cockpit ruined that show.

SteyrAUG
08-18-17, 22:10
I would think the overall tone would set how well it could go in a miniseries. Specifically how it was written and portrayed. You take the two HBO miniseries based around WWII. I loved Band of Brothers, but didn't care for The Pacific. I know there's always a dark side to war, but it was almost...too dark? I just couldn't get into the characters like I did with BoB.

I think Tom Hanks/Steven Spielberg could pull it off with the right support.

Well Boyington was a potentially dark character. Between the drinking, being a POW and crediting being a POW for saving his life due to his drinking, not to mention the post war generally downward spiral. I can understand why they virtually made up a different person and circumstances for the TV show.

JusticeM4
08-19-17, 11:35
1. Baywatch - loved this show growing up

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/05/07/arts/07BAYWATCH1/07BAYWATCH1-blog427.jpg

2. Knight Rider

3. Lost

4. McGuyver

5. Twilight Zone / Outer Limits

moonshot
08-19-17, 14:52
I could list all the (IMHO) best TV shows that are no more...

Star Trek (original series, for reasons already listed)
Enterprise (the best of the spinoffs)
Stargate SG1
Stargate Atlantis (a little too touchy feely, but the Wraith were without question the greatest alien adversaries ever created).
Twilight Zone (original)
Babylon 5
Magnum PI
Rockford Files
Frasier (the 1st several seasons were the best. Got old towards the end).
Taxi (see above)

But the winner, by far, without peer, is........

Firefly

Incredibly tight cast, well written, well acted, just the right mix of humor, old fashioned frontier justice, anti-government sentiment, and great sub-plots (just who was Shepard Book, what did they really do to River, and why).

Most really well made shows, even your favorites, often had one or two characters that either should have never been written in, should have been written out after the 1st episode, or were not cast properly. Not the case with Firefly. Every person in it, from the main cast to the recurring roles to the one-time guest stars were absolutely spot on.

It's hard to believe that loony lefty Josh Whedon had any part in Firefly. The show was a testament to the virtues of being anti-big government, was pro-self reliance, pro-gun, pro-alpha male characters resolving conflicts with force (when necessary), and pro-Libertarian sexual mores.

In reality, however, I don't want any of these show brought back. Too much time has elapsed. Some actors are dead, some are just too old to recreate what made them great.

If you Firefly fans have not yet see this music video, enjoy (and crank it up)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PlNJU7qBaU

Pilot1
08-19-17, 17:24
The Rat Patrol
Combat
Twilight Zone
McHales Navy
Laugh In

SteyrAUG
08-29-17, 00:11
So based upon all of the favorable recommendations and one username, I finally finished watching the entire Firefly series and the film Serenity. Definitely an odd duck in the genre, sorta a little Battlestar and a little Justified and a huge dash of asian themes into what feels like a post civil war film set into the future.

Definitely points for originality and I wish they gave them a second season to hash out all their ideas. The TV show ends rather abruptly and while the film resolves most plot lines it really feels like there was a lot more there.

And while Morena Baccarin and Summer Glau are the obvious hotties, I actually found myself digging Kaylee more than any other female character. More amazing are some of the values and character motivations in the series which is probably why it failed to secure a second season.

Firefly
08-29-17, 04:20
Welp, obviously Firefly for all reasons previously mentioned. While I kinda hate the term; it was spitting out way too many "Red Pills".

Two obvious Confederate veterans, a straight up unscrupulous mercenary, a Christian preacher played by Ron Glass with a mysterious and ominous backstory, a sex positive courtesean who had no shame in what she did, a spunky, yet talented chick mechanic who was seemingly naive yet simultaneously aware of her company, and a tenderfoot city slicker sawbones and his freakshow sister.

And yes, it came at a time in Whedon's life after Buffy and before Dollhouse or Avengers. He wanted to use Alien Resurrection to plant the seed and oddly enough at its premiere; it was unfairly compared to Outlaw Star (an anime that was on Toonami about a year or so earlier)

Serenity was unfairly judged, but it gave the series a better end than an abrupt cancellation did.

Absolutely no way would it get made today. Plus Ron Glass is dead for real and everybody is about 15 years older.

Star Trek people are obnoxious but Star Trek is the epitome of Socialist Marxist Utopia. Replicators, jumpsuits, prime directives, and a Federation.

FF was....totally NOT that at all. Hating the government, fleeing toward an untamed frontier, and suviving by whits and a gun in weekly albeit deliberately out of order two fisted tales.

It was very much reflective of the early era of the Bush Presidency where a lot of disgruntled people were upset with a government that "failed them" because of Florida. Only reason it got greenlit. The writing was a bit too good as it got co-opted by the Libertarians.

I mean....Jayne Cobb unironically tries to trade his favorite gun for a redhead.

So Whedon would likely never, ever write like that again. Even Buffy has aged horribly. At one point it was smart TV that people kinda grew up with. Buffy was in HS; people of a certain age were in HS. Buffy got a pain in the ass job; we got a pain in the ass job. Buffy went to college; we went to college. In fact....before it got stupid it was likewise compared to Sailor Moon. Unlikely blonde chick in High School fighting monsters with her friends and aided by a sketchy dude. It had more balls than Boy Meets World or 90210(which was awesome until it became the Tori Spelling show and it became painfully obvious 40 year olds were playing teenyboppers).

And only the mundanes watched Dawson's Creek which was so lame and just so uppity. There are a legion of people who to this day judge James Van Der Beek harshly. He was an uppity archetype of Zack Morris all grown up. So preppy and gay that unless you were a 15 yo girl needing to watch a non-threatening boy on TV; you just....didnt watch. And if you did and admitted to it.....you got the dozens but bad.

But....that was the mid to late 90s.....whatever they meant.

Personally, I enjoyed the shows I enjoyed when they were on. But what made a lot of them great was that I was a lot younger and the era they were made. If they resurrected any of them; it wouldnt be the same.

We need original ideas and stuff thatvis more current. We also need to learn when to let things go and leave them to memory.

Like the X Files. They brought it back and it was pointless. But when it was on Netflix, I would fall asleep watching it on my tablet or phone. It just became a period piece to an era where the worst thing the big govt was lying about was little green men. Plus Gillian Anderson will never be that sexy again. Very few women can make a pantsuit be ammunition to visually undress them.

Or the Man from UNCLE. I refused to see the movie. The classic show held up because you had CIA and KGB agents working together, living like hipsters with glamour weapons, banging hot chicks and living like beatniks in that era of the 60s. But you couldnt do that today. Same with Miami Vice. Dudes thumping Phil Collins, wearing loud colors, driving Ferraris and toting Gen 3 Smiff & Westerns and UZIs nor the A Team.

No......some things you gotta leave where they were. The Miami Vice movie was miscast and an embarrassment. The A Team movie was just a SNL skit of the show.

Same with Golden Girls. Old broads who are swingers and having zany adventures in Miami? Never happen now. Their kids would take their property and dump them off in a home.

Meh...its like that line from that song "Can't look back, never look back" upon seeing a Grateful Dead sticker on a Cadillac.

TV now just sucks. The last modern shows I really looked forward to were TWD before it got lame, Flashpoint (which is weird because I hate cop shows as an adult, but it was so smart), and Strike Back. Rick & Morty and American Dad are probably the only shows I care about seeing new episodes for.

I hear the Expanse is good but havent had time to get into it. Meh, I'm kinda Post TV these days.

Doc Safari
08-29-17, 09:10
You know what? Your post makes me want to go back and watch Northern Exposure again. I think they could have done more with the show, but there was a time when I thought the characters on that program were a lot like people I knew in real life.

SteyrAUG
08-29-17, 12:52
Welp, obviously Firefly for all reasons previously mentioned. While I kinda hate the term; it was spitting out way too many "Red Pills".

Two obvious Confederate veterans, a straight up unscrupulous mercenary, a Christian preacher played by Ron Glass with a mysterious and ominous backstory, a sex positive courtesean who had no shame in what she did, a spunky, yet talented chick mechanic who was seemingly naive yet simultaneously aware of her company, and a tenderfoot city slicker sawbones and his freakshow sister.

And yes, it came at a time in Whedon's life after Buffy and before Dollhouse or Avengers. He wanted to use Alien Resurrection to plant the seed and oddly enough at its premiere; it was unfairly compared to Outlaw Star (an anime that was on Toonami about a year or so earlier)

Serenity was unfairly judged, but it gave the series a better end than an abrupt cancellation did.

Absolutely no way would it get made today. Plus Ron Glass is dead for real and everybody is about 15 years older.

Star Trek people are obnoxious but Star Trek is the epitome of Socialist Marxist Utopia. Replicators, jumpsuits, prime directives, and a Federation.

FF was....totally NOT that at all. Hating the government, fleeing toward an untamed frontier, and suviving by whits and a gun in weekly albeit deliberately out of order two fisted tales.

It was very much reflective of the early era of the Bush Presidency where a lot of disgruntled people were upset with a government that "failed them" because of Florida. Only reason it got greenlit. The writing was a bit too good as it got co-opted by the Libertarians.

I mean....Jayne Cobb unironically tries to trade his favorite gun for a redhead.

So Whedon would likely never, ever write like that again. Even Buffy has aged horribly. At one point it was smart TV that people kinda grew up with. Buffy was in HS; people of a certain age were in HS. Buffy got a pain in the ass job; we got a pain in the ass job. Buffy went to college; we went to college. In fact....before it got stupid it was likewise compared to Sailor Moon. Unlikely blonde chick in High School fighting monsters with her friends and aided by a sketchy dude. It had more balls than Boy Meets World or 90210(which was awesome until it became the Tori Spelling show and it became painfully obvious 40 year olds were playing teenyboppers).

And only the mundanes watched Dawson's Creek which was so lame and just so uppity. There are a legion of people who to this day judge James Van Der Beek harshly. He was an uppity archetype of Zack Morris all grown up. So preppy and gay that unless you were a 15 yo girl needing to watch a non-threatening boy on TV; you just....didnt watch. And if you did and admitted to it.....you got the dozens but bad.

But....that was the mid to late 90s.....whatever they meant.

Personally, I enjoyed the shows I enjoyed when they were on. But what made a lot of them great was that I was a lot younger and the era they were made. If they resurrected any of them; it wouldnt be the same.

We need original ideas and stuff thatvis more current. We also need to learn when to let things go and leave them to memory.

Like the X Files. They brought it back and it was pointless. But when it was on Netflix, I would fall asleep watching it on my tablet or phone. It just became a period piece to an era where the worst thing the big govt was lying about was little green men. Plus Gillian Anderson will never be that sexy again. Very few women can make a pantsuit be ammunition to visually undress them.

Or the Man from UNCLE. I refused to see the movie. The classic show held up because you had CIA and KGB agents working together, living like hipsters with glamour weapons, banging hot chicks and living like beatniks in that era of the 60s. But you couldnt do that today. Same with Miami Vice. Dudes thumping Phil Collins, wearing loud colors, driving Ferraris and toting Gen 3 Smiff & Westerns and UZIs nor the A Team.

No......some things you gotta leave where they were. The Miami Vice movie was miscast and an embarrassment. The A Team movie was just a SNL skit of the show.

Same with Golden Girls. Old broads who are swingers and having zany adventures in Miami? Never happen now. Their kids would take their property and dump them off in a home.

Meh...its like that line from that song "Can't look back, never look back" upon seeing a Grateful Dead sticker on a Cadillac.

TV now just sucks. The last modern shows I really looked forward to were TWD before it got lame, Flashpoint (which is weird because I hate cop shows as an adult, but it was so smart), and Strike Back. Rick & Morty and American Dad are probably the only shows I care about seeing new episodes for.

I hear the Expanse is good but havent had time to get into it. Meh, I'm kinda Post TV these days.

Actually the movie "The Man From UNCLE" wasn't that bad, i expected it to be terrible but they did ok with it. These days if it isn't Game of Thrones, Ray Donovan, House of Cards or something like that I pretty much don't even bother.

But I did finally complete the CHiPs box set so I'm good for awhile. Man did disco suck, but I still love the show. More blatant 70s era T&A than I remembered.

ETA: It sucked that they killed Wash.

Firefly
08-29-17, 22:20
I never got into Chips despite getting the moniker "Ponch" whenever I got my Ray Ban on. Although I did like the Locklear era of TJ Hooker.

Adam-12 and Dragnet on Nick at Nite got me into policework.
Unironic guys going by the book. The Dragnet movie should not have been a parody.

I also hate "Just the Facts, Ma'am". The actual line was "Ma'am, we are interested in the facts" to a scuzzy woman who was going off on a tangent. Joe Friday was actually fairly progressive (in a positive way). And ya know...sometimes I like to see a hippie get told off.

I also loved SWAT. It was like the Dawn of the Dead SWAT guys but without the zombies. And good ol' TJ with the Winchester 70. Dudes now post up with Accuracy Intls and Bergaras 50 yds out but TJ made 200 yard hits with a wood stock deer rifle.

And yeah Wash dying sucked but was important story wise. When I saw it in theatres, I thought it was going to be like The Wild Bunch until River's crazy finally comes through.

Serenity's shortfall was that you really had to be into Firefly to understand it but that still tried to make it accessible to people who never saw the show.

So they had to tone down some of the quirkiness.

Still. What a ride. And while I'd have loved a movie series like Star Trek...it would have gotten stupid. I'm sorry but I dont want to see a paunchy, old Mal Reynolds nor a menopausal Inara Serra.

The Firefly lore needs to stay a bit edgy. I'd rather lament its passing too soon than groaning about it overstaying.

Like Walking Dead. First Season was taut. And now I just dont care. I actually am turned off by anything zombie now except the classics. Walking Dead could have been a tight 5 season show but their formula is:

Release interestijg trailer promising action
First Episode is interesting
Second ep promises more interesting things
more episodes of pointless soap opera
a mid season tease ep
Pointless hiatus
Rinse Wash Repeat.

The Aftershow doesnt help. People date night and sip wine watching Walking Dead.

It should be more edgy and self determinant. Meh...

SteyrAUG
08-29-17, 23:09
Adam 12, Dragnet, SWAT...I have the complete box sets. I even have The Rookies, Hawaii 5-0 and The Streets of San Francisco. Love em all, but CHiPs was a product of my childhood so I had to have it, even if it's pretty corny at time. I think Adam 12 is probably the best cop show ever made, especially given how much foundation work it did for other shows to build on. SWAT was easily my favorite and probably still is, I really think it is when the AR bug bit me and every episode I had a toy M-16 with me.

When TJ Hooker came out, I was too into Miami Vice to pay much attention. The show was ok, but Vice was being filmed in my back yard. Still love to location hunt when watching old episodes, quite a bit of that show was actually filmed in Ft. Lauderdale. And the teacher of one of my teachers, Joe Hess featured prominently, usually as a bad guy who gets beat up.

HMM
08-30-17, 20:46
Loved Fall Guy as a kid. That and RipTide, that helicopter was cool back in the day.

In the last 10 years I wish they would have kept the TV show Eyes with Tim Daly, I really liked it. They cut it after 4 episodes but you could find the whole first season online.