PDA

View Full Version : Help with S&W ID

JC5188
08-18-17, 07:02
A friend sent me this picture of his nephew's old S&W revolver. Would like to draw upon the knowledge base here since my revolver experience is limited.

My questions are, what is the model? Are the gold hammer and e-rod factory? What would you estimate its approximate age?

I don't have any info other than it is a .32 long, and this is the only pic he sent me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ETA...pic would help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170818/1707ffb7f22808a40c62a285f6e7b905.jpg

Striker6
08-18-17, 08:04
A friend sent me this picture of his nephew's old S&W revolver. Would like to draw upon the knowledge base here since my revolver experience is limited.

My questions are, what is the model? Are the gold hammer and e-rod factory? What would you estimate its approximate age?

I don't have any info other than it is a .32 long, and this is the only pic he sent me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC, no picture is coming through with your post. Can you try to repost the pic so we can help?

JC5188
08-18-17, 11:15
JC, no picture is coming through with your post. Can you try to repost the pic so we can help?

Added...I'm an idiot sometimes

Kain
08-18-17, 11:28
Am I seeing things right that the pistol has no front sight blade?

I am wondering if it wasn't a revolver that was cut down for pocket carry for someone looking for form over function. I suppose the term Saturday night special jumps to mind.

Second. I think you can find places online that can give you the serial number ranges for S&W to try to date the piece.

Big A
08-18-17, 12:59

ETA...pic would help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170818/1707ffb7f22808a40c62a285f6e7b905.jpg

That's a .32 H&E which stands for Hand Ejector. It was the first design that had the swing out cylinder that all modern revolvers are based on. The .32 was originally called the I-Frame and was the predecessor to the J-frame. Your friends example definitely has a shortened barrel as there should be a half moon front sight on the end.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2010/7/12/smith-wesson-hand-ejector-a-look-back/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_ejector

Probably looked like this originally:
https://image.invaluable.com/housePhotos/Amoskeag/19/592919/H1193-L100633373.jpg

gaijin
08-18-17, 13:27
^^Precisely.
I'll add it's quite likely late 19th/early 20th century manufacture.

Big A
08-18-17, 14:01
^^Precisely.
I'll add it's quite likely late 19th/early 20th century manufacture.

That is a 4 screw frame model which is from 1958 and up from what I remember of my research into these guns. I have one that was my Grandfather's on my Mom's side.

gunnerblue
08-18-17, 14:36
I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the mother of pearl stocks were added to compliment the golden hammer and ejector rod. Two-tone revolvers, or "pintoes," were relatively popular in the early twentieth century, though most I've seen have a blue frame with nickel-plated cylinder and barrel.

gaijin
08-18-17, 14:42
That is a 4 screw frame model which is from 1958 and up from what I remember of my research into these guns. I have one that was my Grandfather's on my Mom's side.

Actually this is a "5 screw".
There are 4 screws on the side plate and 1 on the trigger guard, just below the frame.

The 4 screw deleted the screw on the trigger guard, but retained the 4 in the sideplate.

JC5188
08-18-17, 14:58
Great info, thanks guys. I told him this site was one of the best knowledge bases around and y'all never disappoint. I really appreciate it!

SLM
08-19-17, 08:49
That is a Model 1905, 4th change. It probably had a 5in bbl and has been cut down. The 1905, 4th change was the direct predecessor to the revolver we know as the S&W M&P K-frame (and after 1958 or thereabouts, the Model 10) One can usually tell the 1905 4th, from the large knurled end of the ejector rod and the machined out recess in the bbl where it mates up w/ the ejector rod and usually had a square butt frame, rather than the round butt of the smaller I& J-frames.

Many of these were in .32-20 WCF as well as .32 S&W Long, but most prominently in .38 Spl. My Grandfather carried a 4" 1905 4th change in .32-20, along w/ a Marlin lever gun chambered in same, as a early 20th century(1927-1957 Lawman in rural Appalachia. I know the revolver well.

Big A
08-19-17, 09:49
Actually this is a "5 screw".
There are 4 screws on the side plate and 1 on the trigger guard, just below the frame.

The 4 screw deleted the screw on the trigger guard, but retained the 4 in the sideplate.I stand corrected. Wikipedia made it sound like there should be 5 screws on the side plate. Thanks for the clarification.

Anybody know where I could get some nice grips for one? It is my understanding that you can use the oversized J-Frame grips that cover the whole butt, is this correct? I'd like some wood ones that just cover the sides like the originals but if the J-Frame option works then I may do that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk