PDA

View Full Version : Most un-reliable handgun you've ever owned...

TactiCool1976
08-19-17, 00:25
Ok, so the counter-part to the " most reliable " thread , what has been the most un-reliable handgun you've ever owned????? lets hear about what you went thru to try to make a handgun work...

For me, it was a M&P 40c ... I bought it from the LGS / range i go to, and at the time i was looking for a 40cal handgun to carry, and they had a barely used M&P40c for 400$ and with my discount ended up costing me like 360$ so i was like F-it..... since i didnt have any 40cal ammo with me, i bought a box and went to the range... and from there i should of known something was up lol

i could fire off a couple shots, but then get a fail to feed completely.... the only way to explain it was the nose of the bullet looked like it was jamming into the feed ramp.. but a slight rack of the slide and it would feed the round into the barrel... and i could fire a couple shots and it would fail to feed again... and repeat lol..

and for about the first 100 to 150 rounds, i was like well maybe it's not broke in.. the slide is tight? recoil spring is tight? even tried new magazines.. so after about 2 months of this, i had the guys at the range / gun store look at the gun and came back a couple days later.. they told me all of them ran several mags thru it, and no issues..

i take it out on the range and get thru a couple rounds and it fails to feed... well the manager of the range happened to be there and i told him to watch me shoot so i could show him whats going on.. and i get thru a couple rounds and bam it jams up.... well the manager is like well try this with your grip.... and i'm like ok... i get thru 1 mag clean... next mag, i get 3 fail to feed's... after that i was like F- this gun... took it to the local gander mountain and sold it, and a week later picked up a Glock 22.. i ran 3 mags thru it right away with no issue, even tried limp wristing it and still nothing...

Baldness
08-19-17, 01:08
Wasn't mine but my brother had a Taurus subcompact .45. Don't know the model number cuz I don't mess with Taurus. Tried to tell him before he bought it but he is cheap. That POS couldn't make it through a mag without choking, worst handgun i've ever had the displeasure of shooting. He sold it and bought a glock 19...exactly what I told him to do originally.

TactiCool1976
08-19-17, 01:33
thats how i felt with the M&P40c , i'm like i should of just bought the Glock 22 from the get go, but nope... i can say that about a couple 9mm handguns i had before i switched everything to Glock ( except my 1911 )

CDR_Glock
08-19-17, 07:38
Ok, so the counter-part to the " most reliable " thread , what has been the most un-reliable handgun you've ever owned????? lets hear about what you went thru to try to make a handgun work...

For me, it was a M&P 40c ... I bought it from the LGS / range i go to, and at the time i was looking for a 40cal handgun to carry, and they had a barely used M&P40c for 400$ and with my discount ended up costing me like 360$ so i was like F-it..... since i didnt have any 40cal ammo with me, i bought a box and went to the range... and from there i should of known something was up lol

i could fire off a couple shots, but then get a fail to feed completely.... the only way to explain it was the nose of the bullet looked like it was jamming into the feed ramp.. but a slight rack of the slide and it would feed the round into the barrel... and i could fire a couple shots and it would fail to feed again... and repeat lol..

and for about the first 100 to 150 rounds, i was like well maybe it's not broke in.. the slide is tight? recoil spring is tight? even tried new magazines.. so after about 2 months of this, i had the guys at the range / gun store look at the gun and came back a couple days later.. they told me all of them ran several mags thru it, and no issues..

i take it out on the range and get thru a couple rounds and it fails to feed... well the manager of the range happened to be there and i told him to watch me shoot so i could show him whats going on.. and i get thru a couple rounds and bam it jams up.... well the manager is like well try this with your grip.... and i'm like ok... i get thru 1 mag clean... next mag, i get 3 fail to feed's... after that i was like F- this gun... took it to the local gander mountain and sold it, and a week later picked up a Glock 22.. i ran 3 mags thru it right away with no issue, even tried limp wristing it and still nothing...

My friend had an issue with Winchester White Box on his 9mm 2.0 M&P. I believe it had a 16 pound spring so he bought a 15 pound spring, and I helped his change it out. It helped significantly but he'd still have 1-2 out of every box with an issue. So he experimented with other brands such as Remington, Federal, UMC, Blazer....no issues. Strangest phenomenon. We concluded that the spring weight was too high. One pound less worked.

Replacing a captured spring is a PITA. I had to heat the bolt nut with a solder iron. Then we attached it to my bench vise, compressed the spring, and we were able to loosen and remove it to replace it. It's not like replacing a spring in a 1911, mind you.

---
I had a Diamondback DB 9. I was so allured by a Micro 9mm single stack. It wasn't as refined as a Glock, but it looked like one. However, the reliability was utterly awful. I, too, thought it was a matter of a break in period. However, every magazine had 3 or four failure to feeds, stovepipes, failure to eject.

My friend made fun of me and said it was great practice in clearing failures. Believe me, I got very good at clearing failures after that experience.

I tried different brands of ammunition, and even tried JHPs. I even tried my defensive rounds such as Hornady Critical Defense. After about 200 rounds, it started to have one or two consecutive magazines of reliability, but then it seemed like the failures were at least 5 rounds per box of 50. Not something I could stake my life upon. I brought it to my gunsmith and he polished the ramp. Seemed to work ok for about 200 rounds but it was still having issues. By round 535, the frame actually cracked.

I took it to my gunsmith, and he sent it back to them. They graciously replaced the frame. When I finally had it back, I tried it out, again. Still had failures. My gunsmith said, "Sell it." So I did. I don't know what poor bastard has it, since I put it on consignment. I didn't want to know.

It was the worst gun I ever had.

I went on the forum that the company had. Turns out there are people who modified their magazines, using Keltec Springs, as well as polished their Ramps. Why the maker never did any changes is beyond me, but I get nervous when I see people handle a Diamondback in a store. Whether it is a DB9, DB380 or their AR 15, I shudder at the fact that they would consider it. Most people don't do enough research. That's too bad.

#diamondback #db9

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

gaijin
08-19-17, 08:10
Had one of the first S.A. 9mm "Loaded" models.

They'd used a Ti firing pin (guess it was an effort to pass "drop test" without using FP safety) that had an oversized FP tunnel.
Net result was primer flowback that deposited primer debris (which sheared off into FP tunnel), which resulted in the next round not firing.

Barrel fit was crap; the link used was too long, to give illusion of tight barrel/slide fitment. Accuracy was crap.

MIM hammer/sear/disconnect parts were rough as hell- resulting in atrocious trigger pull.

Slide to frame fit was extremely loose.

Being a "hobbyist", rather than send gun back, I basically rebuilt it. Didn't have much hope of it returning in much better condition.

Replaced barrel and bushing with Kart.
Replaced FP with over-sized steel pin.
Had frame welded, lapped slide to frame.
Replaced hammer/sear/disconnect.
Installed .090" FO Front Sight.
Trimmed "Billboard" rear sight blade.
Had frontstrap checkered 30 LPI.

Good thing I enjoy a "project".

DirectTo
08-19-17, 08:51
Years ago I picked up a Walther PK380. For those not familiar, it's a 380, but unlike a lot of them it is a locked breech design and as such it's sprung very lightly, very easy to rack and recoil similar to a 22. My girlfriend at the time was wanting to get in to shooting and the combo of the light forces and great grip made it natural,

The thing was a constant headache. Regardless of the ammo used I had fails to feed, rounds jamming into the feed ramp, fails to eject, and an occasional double feed. Tried every ammo I could find; she shot it, I shot it, others shot it. Sent it back to Walther (a headache in itself) and got it back with more of the same. After a couple hundred rounds it dropped the mag out while firing and the mag broke open.

I sold it cheap with full disclosure. A lot of Walther fans will say "well that's an Umarex gun" which is totally true, but when you slap your name on something you're responsible for it, good or bad. And that one is a definite bad.

PatrioticDisorder
08-19-17, 15:02
Kahr CM40, it was a heaping pile of shit.

Chameleox
08-19-17, 15:16
S&W Bodyguard .380
Battery compartment screw backed out during firing and locked the gun up. Went back to the factory for a fix; sold it shortly thereafter and bought a 642.

Achilles11B
08-19-17, 15:57
Glock 41. I grabbed one when they just came out. Long side .45, it was accurate and fun to shoot...when it wasn't choking. I had about 5-6 FTF per box of ammo and sold it shortly thereafter. Picked up a Gen 3 17 and never looked back.

bear13
08-19-17, 16:32
Kel tec pf9. Basically failed at everything. What a pos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GNXII
08-19-17, 16:33
Early FN FNP-45 had quite a few "dead" trigger pulls and some FTE turned me off to it quite quickly. I tried a lot of different non-invasive things i.e. new mags, different ammo, different lube, different shooter etc.etc. Nothing worked and the problems kept happening at various times. After calling FN-USA for assistance & factory repair (parts are non existent outside of the factory BTW) it worked well for about 8 months then back to dead trigger pulls on live rounds. Mind you this was all with factory fresh ammo from the big guys (Winchester, Federal, Remington, Speer) purchased from various vendors. Went back to factory which at that point was offered an FNX as replacement. I took it,never cranked off a round with it and sold it NIB a month later on to a guy and told him exactly why.

I922sParkCir
08-20-17, 10:13
My 2011 Blue Label Gen 4 Glock 34. The 34 was completely unreliable due to constant ejection issues. When it wouldn’t stovepipe it would eject brass to the face. I replaced the RSA with no change. Replaced every spring, and trigger housing to the latest ejector with seemingly zero effect.

I installed the Apex extractor and the gun was significantly more reliable. It still had weak ejection; cases would just barely dribble out. With weaker ammo, or smaller shooters it would still have the occasional failure to eject.

I installed White Sound HRED and instantly had a perfectly working gun. Brass now ejected into a neat pile about 5' at 4'o clock.

This was my first Glock and it's nice for it to start acting like one.

jwperry
08-20-17, 10:25
Sigma 380

My Ruger lcp is giving me a lot of the same fits. I don't have a lot of 380 luck apparently. Probably for the best.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

ritepath
08-20-17, 20:37
I bought a gen3 PT145 off a co-worker, I was with him the only magazine he ever shot with it. It was just a jam-o-matic turd for the most part. Some folks kept blaming the mags, but I bought a couple a few years later to try and they performed equally as horrible. I ditched it after 3 or 4 years...who needs a taurus for a safe queen.

I did finally give Taurus another chance when I needed a gun to leave in the car, taking the risk on a G2. It hasn't disappointed for 189 bills, such a good sized gun compared to the G26 and M&P 9c it replaced.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-20-17, 22:29
Old series 80 Combat Commander. Straight up jammimatic.

Coal Dragger
08-20-17, 23:37
Para Ordnance P14 with alloy frame. Pretty sure it wouldn't even feed ball ammo from what I recall.

BigBuckeye
08-21-17, 19:56
G26 for me

GunsCarsBikesCigars
08-21-17, 20:22
Taurus TCP380 no question. had two actually and both were the worst thing on the planet.
Runner up was a new S&W model 66 357. Broke multiple times from new going back to factory continuously.

m4brian
08-21-17, 20:31
Star Super B. Dud OTB

Dionysusigma
08-21-17, 20:37
Reliable, in that it always fed, fired, extracted, and ejected... but unreliable in that the tightest group I could get at 15 feet was 15 inches: the M&P9. With the slide removed and recoil spring assembly taken out, the barrel was extremely loose in the slide. Sold it off to a coworker and haven't been interested in the M&P line since.

exiledtoIA
08-22-17, 16:06
COP 357. With 4 barrels you would get to shots. And only 2. Not always the same 2. It did make a good flinch detector. Owned for 2 years but the USPS had it in their possession more than I did. Constant trips back to the company that hired dyslexic chimps with ADHD to assemble the guns. Never did get it to work right. Finally took a hacksaw to it. I wasn't going to sell it to someone else.

Budget
08-22-17, 17:07
Colt Defender 45.

Everyone said not to get a 3 inch 1911, but 20 year old me knew better than everyone. Oh had I known then what I know now.

I still have that gun, deciding what I can do with it. It's beat up, needs work outside of my knowledge base and probably a new finish. Offloading seems crappy knowing how unreliable it is, so it hangs out in the safe. Whatever. It's just money.

artoter
08-22-17, 18:56
An I.O. Hellcat, in .380 ACP. Real crappy gun. :eek:

daniel87
08-22-17, 19:29
An I.O. Hellcat, in .380 ACP. Real crappy gun. :eek:So just as bad as their ak rifles, no suprise [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

12thman
08-22-17, 21:42
.22lr GSG 1911

LongRangeShooter
08-22-17, 22:42
Many years ago, the Kahr K40. The pistol would function with any ammo. Contact Kahr and customer service was nonexistent.

skipper49
08-22-17, 22:49
AMT SKIPPER (of course)
Stainless, commander size 1911.
Almost made me swear off 1911's.
Glad I didn't.

Skip

I922sParkCir
08-22-17, 23:20
Reliable, in that it always fed, fired, extracted, and ejected... but unreliable in that the tightest group I could get at 15 feet was 15 inches: the M&P9. With the slide removed and recoil spring assembly taken out, the barrel was extremely loose in the slide. Sold it off to a coworker and haven't been interested in the M&P line since.

This is very similar to what I put in the MOST reliable handgun thread!

I would say my 2007 M&P9 FS. Thing just ran. I ran it to 4k rounds of my dirty reloads until it finally had a stove pipe. Just replaced the recoil spring and cleaned it. 13k rounds with just 3 failures to eject.

I kept that thing so dirty that just handling it would get carbon all over your hands.

Unfortunately, it was not accurate. I just thought I didn’t shoot it well, but I ran into a guy at the range with another M&P.

My gun on the left, his on the right. Same shooter (me) same ammo (mine). 25 yards. He had a 2012.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?199013-What-is-your-most-reliable-pistol-and-why&p=2523157#post2523157

LDM
08-23-17, 08:05
Kahr K9
It would choke on the second round all the time. Particularly after a loaded mag had been in the weapon for a time. I like from time-to-time to pick up a carry pistol "cold" and shoot it. Time and again I experienced this failure.
I could load a mag and shoot immediately thereafter OK. But let that mag sit in the pistol for a day, and the round in the chamber shoots and the second round jams.
I am convinced the problem was from the design of the magazine, and more particularly the follower. A guy on the Kahr forum re contoured the magazine follower and got better performance. Tried that and it helped, but by that time I had lost confidence in the weapon and moved on. Shame as this was a weapon I liked otherwise.

TacticalFun
08-23-17, 09:03
My wife had a sig mosquito about 6 years ago. Would only run high end ammo.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Mike Miller
08-23-17, 09:20
Browning Buckmark, constantly fails to reset the trigger

Mrgunsngear
08-23-17, 10:05
Browning Hi Power MkII. What's crazy is most Hi Power's I've shot were reliable but that particular one can't make it though a mag without a malfunction; ammo doesn't matter, mag type doesn't matter, just a lemon.

TactiCool1976
08-23-17, 12:47
This is not my gun, but my dad has a 3inch Springfield 45, and no lie this thing is a paper weight.... I wouldn't give it to my worst enemy lol... it ran good for maybe 50 rounds, then it would fail to feed, fail to eject, stove pipe, double feed, and idk what else... my dad even sent it back to Springfield several times and every time they had it.. it would run just fine , so they would say lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

TactiCool1976
08-23-17, 12:47
Oh and he still has the gun in his safe lol...it just sits there

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AndyLate
08-23-17, 16:03
I have a Magnum Research imported CZ-75 B that cannot make through a single magazine without stoppages. I really need to see if it's fixable (they are great guns when they work) but just have not worked up the ambition.

Andy

P.S. The shop sold it on commision, I thought I was very lucky to find a used gun that looked like new......lol

MountainRaven
08-24-17, 00:21
Dan Wesson V-Bob in 9mm.

Admittedly, I didn't shoot it passed the 500 round break-in period, but 500 rounds of an extractor/ejector-related malfunction every magazine or every other magazine was too much for me.

Only 1911 I've ever had a problem with, and I've owned a number of Kimbers (plus a couple Colts, Springfields, Nighthawks, a Valor in 45, and a Wilson) and four or five 2005-2012 production P220s and P226s.

Other than that, the only significant issues I've had with any handguns were a LAV G19 and a LAV G17 that liked to punt brass straight back into my face.

rathos
08-24-17, 02:11
I had a MKIII that was a similar story. However I changed my grip (thumbs down and curled VS thumbs forward) and the issues went away. I believe I was pushing on the slide stop and it would cause an issue every few rounds. Either way I sold it with full disclosure and the current owner loves it. No issues.

Browning Hi Power MkII. What's crazy is most Hi Power's I've shot were reliable but that particular one can't make it though a mag without a malfunction; ammo doesn't matter, mag type doesn't matter, just a lemon.

S500yards
08-24-17, 08:58
Kahr CM40, it was a heaping pile of shit.

Lol mine was the cw9. That gritty action...I just knew it was going to be a stinker. Sure enough, 40 rounds into it I had probably 6 or 7 failures. Not cool. Sold it towards a g26. Much happier now

Bogartino
08-24-17, 15:53
A sig mosquito. Should have not bought it just based on the name. Also a glock 23. Had multiple FTE's every mag.

hdrolling
08-24-17, 17:24
My Kimber 1911 super carry pro, replaced half the parts with wolfe and wilson combat to get it to work correctly.

SquarePizza
08-24-17, 21:01
Desert Eagle, Mark I, 357

Its not that it is a bad pistol, its just a picky bitch on powders. Its not just enough to load to max charge, but some powders don't produce the right pressure to operate it. Which sadly, as the powders I have the most of. =(

oldtexan
08-25-17, 07:27
Most unreliable handgun I ever owned was a Kimber TLE RLII (with the external extractor), bought new back in 2002 or 2003. The gun had frequent feed, extraction, and ejection failures ( as in 1 or more per magazine) even when properly lubed, and fed good factory ball from a variety of good quality magazines. I took it to Alan Tillman of ART Enterprises, a noted 1911 smith in Austin, TX, and even he couldn't make it run reliably. IIRC its factory thumb safety broke after just a few hundred rds, also.

RHINOWSO
08-25-17, 07:38
Been lucky, I have never dumpster dived for a handgun.

Only real issue I had was a S&W 65-3 3" with a boogered strain screw (bought used) which made it light strike. Quick replacement fixed it right up,

Firefly
08-26-17, 02:22
I never owned it but was issued a S&W M&P .40 for a year and a half. I had zero confidence in the gun.

1. I dont like .40 (I own one .40 but it is/was purely for IPSC)
2. It had a lot of problems with the slide release and the trigger group. Scary problems. I know people like to cry wolf and blame the gun but it really had some reset issues and nobody believed me until I showed them then they still didnt want to accept it. Granted these are coffee drinking chair jockeys but dammit man. The pistol was unsatisfactory.

3. Accuracy. It was just not accurate. Even in a rest. It was good enough for 3 yards and in but at 25 would be a bit spotty. S&W has admitted and addressed this but in 2007-8 nobody believed me.

4. Novak sights. On a modern fighting pistol; novak ramps really dont help if you had to do one handed slide manipulation. Every fighting pistol should have a step or a post rear sight.

5. The mag disconnector. I have been instructed that this could potentially be a good thing but if it is that bad then I'm screwed already. If a mag gets detached in a fight and I have just the one chambered round that I cant use then what?
I'd sooner take my chances without it.

I had to fight and campaign to carry my personal G21 and it was worth it. Then word got out on the M&P. I know it is still popular with the "I just dont like Glock" crowd, but I am soured to it.

I will admit that the ergos weren't bad and the Sig style takedown lever was good but not a pistol I would spend my own money on.

I had a few hiccups with a Gen 3 S&W in the day. But once it was finally serviced; it was a lazer beam of a .45. The trigger was stupid long and heavy but that single stack was just as good as any 1911 for accuracy. You just had to practice the trigger.

But the M&P? Never again.

BPDKar98k
08-26-17, 02:58
A 2011 Exeter made P226 that I bought used. Constant failure to feeds. Changed mags and recoil spring with same results, ended up trading it in for a new Glock 19.

teksid
08-26-17, 06:49
When I was new to pistols and carry I bought a CW40. I was super paranoid about printing. I really liked how thin it was and it had a decent trigger. After I wasted 500 rounds trying to break it in, I got rid of it and got a CW9 thinking about how the .40 has the flat face and 9mm should inherently feed better. It was junk too.

Cashflow
08-27-17, 06:31
Ruger LCP and runner-up was a Ruger Speed Six in 9mm. The LCP was a jam-o-matic POS and was one those that was recalled. I sent a letter with it to Ruger telling them to just keep it if they couldn't fix it. Ironically it has been perfect since it came back. The Speed Six used those stupid half moon clips and would barely fire brand new factory ammo. I got rid of it but I own two other Speed Sixes in .357 magnum and they are some of the best guns I have.

CDR_Glock
08-27-17, 10:27
When I was new to pistols and carry I bought a CW40. I was super paranoid about printing. I really liked how thin it was and it had a decent trigger. After I wasted 500 rounds trying to break it in, I got rid of it and got a CW9 thinking about how the .40 has the flat face and 9mm should inherently feed better. It was junk too.

I considered a CM40 for a "Good deal". I don't think 40 S&W Micro guns fare for reliability or probably durability hence the lack of a Micro gun manufactured in that round (lack of a Sig 938 or Glock 43 equivalent in 40).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DirectTo
08-27-17, 10:48
I don't think 40 S&W Micro guns fare for reliability or probably durability hence the lack of a Micro gun manufactured in that round (lack of a Sig 938 or Glock 43 equivalent in 40).
The M&P Shield 40 gets good reviews and seems to be holding up well for years now.

I only put 600 rounds through mine before giving it to my dad but it fed and shot everything I put in it and carried excellently. I liked it.

Glock9mm1990
08-27-17, 21:56
Early Glock 23 Gen 4, was fine for the first 200 or so rounds then I got numerous FTF I couldn't go 100 rounds before it would fail to feed. I just couldn't trust it as a carry gun so I sold it at a loss to a LGS and I replaced it with a Glock 21 Gen 4 and a Glock 17 Gen 3. The G23 was my first handgun and it was a lemon, I don't like .40 anyways once I educated myself on modern ammunition.

yellowfin
08-27-17, 23:46
I'm actually glad to say I've never owned a pistol that's unreliable. Only have 7 now, and two that I swapped (one I didn't shoot well and the other too heavy), so maybe that's too small of a sample size.

maximus83
08-28-17, 08:49
Taurus 24/7. The one and only Taurus I've ever owned.

jondoe297
08-28-17, 10:39
Taurus 24/7. The one and only Taurus I've ever owned.

Exactly this.

Had one years ago before I knew better. Extractor broke on the first trip to the range.

TacticalFun
08-28-17, 10:41
Exactly this.

Had one years ago before I knew better. Extractor broke on the first trip to the range.On the other end of that spectrum 247 DS OSS Is one of my favorite and most reliable firearms ever

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Doc Safari
08-28-17, 13:38
1990's era Walther PPK/S. I thought it was great for carry and I'd buy it a year before the Brady Law so I'd avoid the panic.

Jammed on every third or fourth round even with good quality ball ammo.

I later bought an el cheapo Makarov in 9x18 and it ran 100% even with the early defensive loads made for that caliber.

James Bond gun went bye-bye real fast.

HCrum87hc
08-28-17, 14:06
The only pistol I've really had issues with is my wife's Glock 42. Numerous fail to feed and fail to eject malfunctions with various brands and types of ammo. It is the version with all of the latest updates after release. All of the mags were the latest versions as well. When I sent it back to Glock, they said they couldn't find any issues with the gun after running 50 rounds of FMJ through it and sent it back. I haven't had an issue with it since....

08-31-17, 14:28
The two Colt 1911's I was issued, and the Kimber Gold Combat II that I currently own. It's better than the (old) Colt's I used, but still has a lot of "rules" that make it a safe queen/occasional range toy. You know, "it's pretty reliable...as long as you use Wilson mags, clean it often, keep it wet, don't limp-wrist it, only feed it x brand ammo, don't let sand get in it, etc". The Colt's might have worked well with hotter ammo than the "match" ammo I would draw, but I'll never know at this point.

I see a lot of Kahrs on this list. I can't remember the last time my CW9 had a stoppage, although admittedly I probably only shoot 25 rnds every month or two out of it, and only when I'm home. I had a buddy that swears by his Kahr, but I'm not sure which model.

Every plastic gun I've owned or been issued has been very reliable. Sigs, too. I'm in the market for a 5" plastic gun currently.

ETA: I just re-read the thread and remembered that I load my CW9 with 7 rounds instead of 7+1 due to 2nd round malfunctions with 7+1. So I guess it goes on the unreliable list, too. Sort of.

GNXII
08-31-17, 17:12
I forgot to include a ParaOrdnance P14 full size 1911 in 45ACP. I bought it in early 1990s figured it was best of a big bore "Hi Cap" in a proven platform.Silly ignorant me.. Bad right out of the box! Front sight popped off in first box of 230Gr Federal ball, grip screws loosened then came out, couldn't find more than 2 mags out of 8 purchased (all were OEM) that worked, numerous failure to feed etc. I tried different ammo finally bringing it back to shop that sold it to me after 3 weeks. Sales guys & manager tried it out with my ok and had same issues with reliability then extractor broke while testing. Needless to say they took it back and with the refunded money I bought a NIB Sig P-220 WG made in 45ACP. With the exception of Trijicons, its box stock and has been my benchmark of reliability and ergonomics for me.

sundance435
09-01-17, 10:45
Only guns I recall owning that as a type ever game me problems were 1911s. That's not to say they all did - every Colt I've ever owned was 100% and also a Springfield TRP. Had a Kimber TLE II and a Springfield Loaded about 10 years ago. Both were garbage - feeding and extracting issues, etc. Had a Springfield XD40 not long after the two problem 1911s that wasn't reliably unreliable, so I never trusted. I couldn't discern a pattern as to when/why it choked, across mags and ammo. Also bought a used Gen 2 Glock 17 that would jam every couple of magazines - could've been a bad mag, but I never liked it enough to mess with it. Still a "Glock" guy, though, having owned at least 10 over the years. Still have my Gen 3 17 and Gen 3 19 Austrian import.

Arik
09-01-17, 12:58
I never owned it but was issued a S&W M&P .40 for a year and a half. I had zero confidence in the gun.

1. I dont like .40 (I own one .40 but it is/was purely for IPSC)
2. It had a lot of problems with the slide release and the trigger group. Scary problems. I know people like to cry wolf and blame the gun but it really had some reset issues and nobody believed me until I showed them then they still didnt want to accept it. Granted these are coffee drinking chair jockeys but dammit man. The pistol was unsatisfactory.

3. Accuracy. It was just not accurate. Even in a rest. It was good enough for 3 yards and in but at 25 would be a bit spotty. S&W has admitted and addressed this but in 2007-8 nobody believed me.

4. Novak sights. On a modern fighting pistol; novak ramps really dont help if you had to do one handed slide manipulation. Every fighting pistol should have a step or a post rear sight.

5. The mag disconnector. I have been instructed that this could potentially be a good thing but if it is that bad then I'm screwed already. If a mag gets detached in a fight and I have just the one chambered round that I cant use then what?
I'd sooner take my chances without it.

I had to fight and campaign to carry my personal G21 and it was worth it. Then word got out on the M&P. I know it is still popular with the "I just dont like Glock" crowd, but I am soured to it.

I will admit that the ergos weren't bad and the Sig style takedown lever was good but not a pistol I would spend my own money on.

I had a few hiccups with a Gen 3 S&W in the day. But once it was finally serviced; it was a lazer beam of a .45. The trigger was stupid long and heavy but that single stack was just as good as any 1911 for accuracy. You just had to practice the trigger.

But the M&P? Never again.Had similar issues with the 357sig version but with the added failed to extract. Very nice single shot pistol and that grip tool came in handy extracting shells.

The 9mm M&P was just not accurate.

The 45 was good but I bought it used and the previous owner had everything Apex'd! Still, the G21 was softer shooting and better feeling so the MP45 got traded for a G21.

I do like the 40 though

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

titsonritz
09-01-17, 13:20
Para Ordnance P-10
Ruger Mark II

09-01-17, 23:25
Para 9mm alloy frame commander. Just wouldn't run at all. It's the only unreliable pistol I've ever had.

COALGEO
09-08-17, 21:00
Well, maybe it's me, but it seems most well known pistol makers are on these lists. I believe they all can make a bad one or two. How about the Sterling 302? Make that three or four. Or more.:D

C. Stevens
09-08-17, 23:37
Kimber Solo
sent from Windows Phone 10 using tapatalk

Pilot1
09-09-17, 07:35
Kimber Solo

I really liked the concept of the Kimber Solo, just not the execution. Too bad.

sdacbob
09-09-17, 19:11
My first pistol ever was an Erma .22 Luger. Super sensitive with ammo and even then not ever totally reliable.

Aetius
09-15-17, 09:17
For me it's a toss up between an Auto Ordance 1911 and a Walther P38

misfit47
09-16-17, 19:24
Tec 9.

lesptr
09-16-17, 19:39
Stainless Walther PPK/S (Interarms) .380
I was never able to get through a single mag without a double feed or stovepipe. I gave up on and to date it is the only one I've ever traded.

echo5whiskey
09-16-17, 20:55
IMI .40 Baby Eagle subcompact. :(

It was one of the last Christmas presents my Dad bought for me before he died, and I'll never get rid of it.

MSW
09-16-17, 23:34
Back when Interarms made licensed Walther PPk copies, I bought one. The gun's trigger mechanism was so messed up, it would jam & lock up with a live round in the chamber. Even tho it's only a .32ACP, it's a bad problem & I had to remove the grips to get at the action to unjam it.

I sent it back to Smith & Wesson--this was right when they took over US Walthers. They said flat out--the parts are so messed up, they cannot render the gun safe. They sent a check for full MSRP to reimburse me for my time & trouble. They sent me a brochure on their upcoming releases.

So I bought a used German, 1967 Walther PPk with it's box, book & other doodads. Never had a problem with it & off a rest, it prints groups 6 rounds in under an inch.

Now that's German engineering at its finest!

amd5007
09-17-17, 00:02
Kimber TLE II. It went back to the factory 3 times, once for consistent failures to eject (never really resolved), once for a cracked slide, and once for a broken hammer. Sold it shortly after.

However, ironically my most reliable 1911 is my Kimber Warrior. 10,000+ rounds through it and it just keeps going.

diving dave
09-17-17, 11:04
Kimber Ultra Raptor 2....Nice looking, but couldnt get through a mag without failures to feed.

NickySantoro
09-26-17, 13:57
I bought an Auto Ordnance 1911A1 some years after I got out of the Army. I thought a 1911 was a 1911. It was the only handgun I had ever fired and a 1911 is a 1911, right? Not so much it seems. It was really fussy. A mag change was somewhat helpful. A thorough polishing of the feed ramp helped also. Finally, I was left with a very occasional extraction failure. Fast forward to where I learned about extractors. Tuning the extractor was the cure. For reliabilty, I'll now put my so-called "POS" AO up against any other gun for reliability. It's my house gun and I have no doubts about its reliabilty.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-26-17, 13:59
A stock Colt Rail Gun, 2015 mfg. Was truly a horrible pistol. After $1500 at MARS Armament, it runs like a top, every time. I'd never buy another Colt 1911 unless it was going straight to a custom shop.

Shiz
09-27-17, 15:25
Springfield XD. After that a Kel Tek PF9. Gotta learn from someone, why not me? LOL.

pinzgauer
09-27-17, 18:09
I see a lot of Kahrs on this list. I can't remember the last time my CW9 had a stoppage, although admittedly I probably only shoot 25 rnds every month or two out of it, and only when I'm home. I had a buddy that swears by his Kahr, but I'm not sure which model.

Same here, I was guessing it was difference between the P40 and the cheaper CW and CM lines. Another friend with a P45 similar good experience.

Will say it's not uncommon for them to need 500 rounds to settle, and possibly make a trip back to the factory.

But mine has been solid after that, and I just viewed it the price to get into the extreme limits of size.

I don't recommend them unless you enter it knowing it may take some tweaking. But will never get rid of mine.

I don't carry it as much of late, stick with P99/PPQ or LW cmdr when I can hide them or don't really care. But the P40 is for when when I can't conceal the compacts.

It's a huge difference in printing (Or not). Interesting enough, I think the lightweight Commander prints less than the Walthers do.

Arik
09-27-17, 21:25
I used to carry a CW9 a the time. Never needed breaking in or tweeking. Traded it a while ago because I just couldn't get used to the super thin and narrow grips

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Grandma's_Boy
09-28-17, 10:55
My first handgun was an FN FNP-40 USG model, I loved a lot about the handgun but it had some serious issues. For one the decock/safety levers were a snag hazard and being thin metal would actually bend quite easily. Secondly... and for more disturbing... the pistol would not fire in double action mode when it got hot.

You may be wondering what I mean by 'hot'... well when I discovered this I was visiting my grandmother in Florida years back. Retrieved the pistol from my trailer to dry fire it a bit, the trailer was probably no more than 100 degrees inside... this was late in the fall/early winter. It flat out would not release the hammer at all once you got to the end of the triggers travel.

RAM Engineer
09-28-17, 12:18
Kimber Eclipse II.

chrischoi
09-28-17, 12:55
Luckily I haven't had any issues from factory. I did run into issues when I started messing with them. It was a 1911.

kerplode
09-28-17, 15:43
When I was a kid, I just absolutely had to have a Magnum Research Mountain Eagle 22LR. I worked mowing lawns until I saved up the money and my dad got it for me. It was a COLOSSAL pile of shit. Like couldn't fire two rounds back to back without FTF. I struggled with it for quite a while and it broke-in to the point that it would do about half a mag before tying up, but by then I had gone from lusting after it to wanting to burn it in a fire. I think it sat in the safe for a few more years before we eventually traded it away for something else.

Other than that, I've been pretty lucky and the stuff I've gotten since has all run pretty well.

Dcr5595
10-04-17, 12:37
My grandfather always said that this FIE Titan 25 would jam multiple times in every magazine he tried. His intent was to use it as a backup gun while on duty however that didn’t happen due to its failure to function. I’ve never tried it myself but it’s the first gun that came to mind when I read this thread. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171004/31f04d0ed4dad756fa700b28d8f75f55.heic

sundance435
10-04-17, 15:49
My grandfather always said that this FIE Titan 25 would jam multiple times in every magazine he tried. His intent was to use it as a backup gun while on duty however that didn’t happen due to its failure to function. I’ve never tried it myself but it’s the first gun that came to mind when I read this thread. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171004/31f04d0ed4dad756fa700b28d8f75f55.heic

Backup gun? Drop gun, maybe :D

ginzomatic
10-04-17, 15:55
92FS. Every malfunction imaginable. is was just a lemon

The_War_Wagon
10-04-17, 16:52
Norinco 1911.

Bought that POS new in '92 - FTF on the second mag of hardball. :mad: Couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Slab
10-04-17, 16:54
Kimber TLE RL II. Accuracy was solid but when I purchased it I envisioned owning a decent semi-automatic 1911, not an accurate single shot. It did offer fantastic training opportunities in the "malfunction clearance" department...

interfan
10-04-17, 17:59
Another vote for Kimber. This time a Custom II. I wanted a "cheaper" 1911 to use as a range beater so I could retire an older Colt series 70. Bought the Kimber new, the first outing, FTF on every mag. I called Kimber and they said I had to break it in and the FTF would stop if I used "full power" 230 ball. I was using el cheapo Federal from Walmart, so I thought, OK try again with some decent ammo. Second range outing and same problems, but the thumb safety broke. Back to Kimber it goes.

Got it back, no FTF problems, but now it is FTE. The extractor tension is non-existent, so that is an easy fix. A few range sessions later, and the barrel link boss on the barrel shears off. Back to Kimber again for warranty repair.

Got it back, new barrel and what looks like other new parts. No FTE or FTF and it seems to be OK. About 600 rounds of trouble-free operation later the hammer broke. Back to Kimber it goes.

At that point, I got it back and sold it. The guy I sold it to was told the history, but wanted to use it as a basis for some homegrown 1911 smithing. Good riddance and good luck!

1986s4
10-05-17, 16:55
Armalite AR 24 9mm pistol. I really wanted to like it but it couldn't get through a magazine without an FTE. I tried springs and a long break in period then I sent it back to Armalite. When I got it back it looked like an untrained monkey had been set loose on it with a dremel, I really couldn't believe they would let it out of the door and it still didn't work. Called them back and they admitted they knew nothing about pistols. I sent it back, they sent me a new one that I didn't even take out of the box, just traded it for a Beretta M9.

squid8286
10-08-17, 19:35
When I was in the service, a guy in my shop offered me an AMT Backup in .380. The pistol would not go through an entire magazine of FMJ without stuttering at least once. I promptly sold it. I would rather have had a rock. Biggest POS firearm I have ever encountered. It put me off the brand AND the caliber for life. Probably good thing(s) that it did.

zephyr
10-08-17, 22:14
Back before I knew better I had a Kimber GMII. My Dad talked me into it based on all the good rep the first model had. Mine sucked. Doubled right out of the box. Kimber wouldn't pay for shipping. Dennis in customer service was an ass about it. Got it fixed and sold it. They deserve all the bashing they get.

axonrecall
10-16-17, 04:35
A gen 3 Glock 19 I bought off of gunbroker a few years back. It was being sold at a price I just couldn't pass up, however It had about a dozen FTFs in the first 100 rounds and would eject every round right into my face. Never had any confidence in it but I kept it around for a few months just to mess with friends when we would go to the range.

RCI1911
10-17-17, 07:49
My wife's Sig Mosquito is the worst handgun we own. Won't run on anything but CCI Mini-mags. I had a Sig 1911 TacOps Carry that never choked but came from the factory with a barrel link that was too long and the gun would eject brass all over the place including your face. Too bad since the gun was a lot of fun to shoot suppressed.

09fatbob
10-25-17, 07:09
In 1977 I purchased a colt 1911 government, wow gun had issues

chuckman
10-25-17, 07:34
Ruger MkII/45. POS regardless of what ammo I shot. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

I had a Kimber that shot crappy out of the box, but once it got a trigger job and a new extractor is was good to go.

Outlander Systems
10-26-17, 10:42
Bar none, Intratec TEC-22.

markm
10-26-17, 10:42
Springfield Armory 1911. The basic, mil spec turd model.

colesteele
10-26-17, 10:46
Norinco 1911.

Bought that POS new in '92 - FTF on the second mag of hardball. :mad: Couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

That's too bad. I never met a NORINCO that I didn't like.

munch520
10-26-17, 11:42
It was my wife's but I bought it so I guess I owned it...Sig P238.

pocket rocket 380 with the internal complications of a 1911. What could go wrong? :suicide2:

C. Stevens
10-26-17, 11:44
It was my wife's but I bought it so I guess I owned it...Sig P238.

pocket rocket 380 with the internal complications of a 1911. What could go wrong?Wonder what's wrong with the one you have. I carry one every day and have shot plenty through it without a single malfunction...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

munch520
10-26-17, 11:50
Wonder what's wrong with the one you have. I carry one every day and have shot plenty through it without a single malfunction...

Very early version (this was 2010 or 2011 IIRC), and I just didn't have the patience for Sig's magazine revisions. I was on iteration #3 when I gave up. This was when she realized that she didn't need a pocket pistol for her Mary Poppins bag...could fit a damn cannon in there. So she went with a gen2 G19 and has been happy ever since.

C. Stevens
10-26-17, 11:51
Very early version (this was 2010 or 2011 IIRC), and I just didn't have the patience for Sig's magazine revisions. I was on iteration #3 when I gave up.Oh okay. I see. Mine is an HD version. All steel. I knew they had revised versions but I don't guess I paid too much attention to it.

colesteele
10-26-17, 14:34
Springfield 1911 V10 Ultra Compact. Would not chamber brass ammo. Tried everything from polishing the chamber to changing out recoil springs and nothing seem to remedy the problem. I must admit, begrudgingly, it was a step down from the S&W Sigma 9 that I traded it for. I have since traded it in on a Vicars Glock 19.

I would echo the assessment of the Sig Mosquito, but I expected that with a .22 semi-auto.

colesteele
10-26-17, 14:38
My wife's Sig Mosquito is the worst handgun we own. Won't run on anything but CCI Mini-mags. I had a Sig 1911 TacOps Carry that never choked but came from the factory with a barrel link that was too long and the gun would eject brass all over the place including your face. Too bad since the gun was a lot of fun to shoot suppressed.

A Mexican manufacture called CI seems to work well in mine. Well enough for 2 mags without a malfunction.

0uTkAsT
10-26-17, 17:20
Toss up between a Walther P22 I bought my wife for a suppressor host some years ago and a Davis P380 my dad bought in the 80's for $50 as a "lunch box gun" which he later gave to me for some reason. Both were incredibly horrible firearms. Remarkably bad in just about every way.

A friend of mine who I shoot with once or twice a year has a few XDs that choke with surprising regularity, making his Canik and some Turkish Sig clone (I can't remember the name right now) seem like better guns than they are to him. He swears they are fantastic despite the fact that I shoot with him and know better. :rolleyes:

Outlander Systems
10-26-17, 17:23
I had an XD45 circa 08 that was a gag machine.

Surprisingly, my P22 didn't suck. My dad had a POS 80s-era Jennings that literally broke right out of the box.

Toss up between a Walther P22 I bought my wife for a suppressor host some years ago and a Davis P380 my dad bought in the 80's for $50 as a "lunch box gun" which he later gave to me for some reason. Both were incredibly horrible firearms. Remarkably bad in just about every way.

A friend of mine who I shoot with once or twice a year has a few XDs that choke with surprising regularity, making his Canik and some Turkish Sig clone (I can't remember the name right now) seem like better guns than they are to him. He swears they are fantastic despite the fact that I shoot with him and know better. :rolleyes:

5.56 Bonded SP
10-26-17, 20:14
Bersa, can't remember the model. Was a POS...
And a M&P shield.

dirkmagurk
10-26-17, 23:26
Glock 42. Consistently had failures to extract and double feeds. This was a current production one too with all the design changes. It went back to Glock twice both times they said that they could not reproduce the malfunctions. The Glock rep told me it was a shooter sensitive pistol being that it is so small and .380 is under powered. These malfunctions happened with four separate shooters three of which are LE/Mil with plenty of experience shooting Glocks and several types of both FMJ and JHP ammunition. It really is a smooth shooting and accurate little pistol "when it functioned properly" that fit my wife's hands perfectly but I had to let it go.

Doc Safari
10-27-17, 09:06
Glock 42. Consistently had failures to extract and double feeds. This was a current production one too with all the design changes. It went back to Glock twice both times they said that they could not reproduce the malfunctions. The Glock rep told me it was a shooter sensitive pistol being that it is so small and .380 is under powered. These malfunctions happened with four separate shooters three of which are LE/Mil with plenty of experience shooting Glocks and several types of both FMJ and JHP ammunition. It really is a smooth shooting and accurate little pistol "when it functioned properly" that fit my wife's hands perfectly but I had to let it go.

"You're limp-wristing, Bro....."

Sorry, couldn't resist. :jester:

munch520
10-27-17, 13:09
I had an XD45 circa 08 that was a gag machine.

Oh Lawd those were abysmal. Never owned one but when I moved in with my wife, found her ex's XD45 in the back of the closet. Sold that crap the same day...was embarrassed to even post it for sale :laughing:

msiley
10-27-17, 14:55
Kahr P380. It malfunctions every few rounds, slide won't lock back. Junk.

Doc Safari
10-27-17, 14:59
I'd venture a guess that most .380's are jam-o-matics. Even my girlfriend's Glock 42 was a malfunction tester because it was one of the early ones. She hasn't shot it since getting it back from Glock "repaired."

msiley
10-27-17, 15:02
I'd venture a guess that most .380's are jam-o-matics. Even my girlfriend's Glock 42 was a malfunction tester because it was one of the early ones. She hasn't shot it since getting it back from Glock "repaired."

I have a Sig P238 that has a few thousand rounds through it problem free. Although I do clean and lube it every time I shoot it (unlike say my Glocks.)

Doc Safari
10-27-17, 15:04
I have a Sig P238 that has a few thousand rounds through it problem free. Although I do clean and lube it every time I shoot it (unlike say my Glocks.)

Of course there are exceptions. My .380 Makarov was trouble free...but that's not the rule. I can't tell you how many pocket-sized .380s I've had that couldn't be trusted.

0uTkAsT
10-27-17, 16:18
Not that it matters to anyone but a Glock 42 is my summer carry piece and I have many, many thousands of rounds through it without any issues. Same with the wife's P238. Both great guns. I shoot the 42 better than the 43, which is why I carry it. Mine is a "revision 2" gun, FWIW. I have MagGuts +1 followers in it, Ameriglo sights, and a TLR-6. Otherwise its bone stock.

OrbitalE
10-27-17, 18:38
None of my pistols is particularly finicky or malfunction prone, but of them the Dan Wesson 9mm is definitely the pickiest though I repeat we're talking about MTBF ~1K-1.5Krds between my modern pistols.

DGB
10-27-17, 21:50
Sig GSR Revolution Compact C3. Replaced extractor, spring and barrel, on Sig's dime. It still would malfunction. FTF and FTE. Too bad because it's a very accurate and beautiful compact 1911. I still have it, I rarely sell guns, but I carry a G26 or G19.

Dienekes
10-27-17, 22:46
Two. A Ruger P97 that somehow managed to eject cartridges straight up and out instead of feeding them; and a Kahr CW45 with serial feeding problems. When you diagnosed and fixed one problem, another one would surface. I got Ruger to finally take back the P97 for destruction and send me a NIB one to replace it. Which I promptly put on consignment and sold. One was enough. Also dumped the Kahr for whatever I could get out of it.

Interestingly my new S&W .45 Shield is about the same size as the Kahr was, and is 100 times the gun the Kahr was.

PS: I lied. It's three. When I was a kid the Whitney Wolverine (Buck Rodgers) pistol was cool--but I never got one. Around 2006 Olympic Arms brought them back with a polymer frame; nice looking little pistol. It was a total POS, couldn't get through a mag without multiple FTFs, even with the recommended (and expensive) CCI Minimags. Customer service was nonexistent. Should have thrown it into a volcano but as I recall I sold it at a loss. And Olympic Arms is now defunct anyway.

dagored
10-28-17, 07:48
A Colt New Agent. Kept sending brass back at me. Don’t tell me what needed adjustments or replaced. It was. Finally just sent brass back occasionally.

Traded it for a SA R.O. Elite Compact in 45. WOW. Over 400 rounds and i am happy again. Plus all the old mags and the 5 that came with it were a bonus.

Turnkey11
10-28-17, 08:17
Charter Arms Explorer that I bought at Action Pawn in Killeen for $40. Couldnt pass it up at the price, previous owner dicked up the chamber with a dremel and I was never able to get it to run right. Sold it off promptly, shouldve made it into a Han Solo blaster first.

Campbell
10-29-17, 19:44
Gen 5 G19 I borrowed from Euro

jaholder
10-30-17, 17:50
AMT backup .380

little more than a magazine fed slide action pistol, wouldn't feed or eject, period.

jake545
10-31-17, 10:59
Glock 17 and a Rossi 38spl

The Glock 17 would jammed more than any auto I've ever owned (besides a 1911 Off with aggresive HP) and it wasn't very accurate.
Then Rossi 38 I inheireted and it would only work in double action on 3 of the 5 cylinders. Worked great if you cocked the hammer every time, so I just treated it as a single action and used it as a boat gun.

jake545
10-31-17, 11:58
Springfield 1911 V10 Ultra Compact. Would not chamber brass ammo. Tried everything from polishing the chamber to changing out recoil springs and nothing seem to remedy the problem. I must admit, begrudgingly, it was a step down from the S&W Sigma 9 that I traded it for. I have since traded it in on a Vicars Glock 19.

I would echo the assessment of the Sig Mosquito, but I expected that with a .22 semi-auto.

I have the same V10 Ultra Compact and a full length guide rod from Wilson Combat along with a new recoil spring and polishing the ramp solved all the feeding issues I had, other than extremely widemouthed HP ammo.

Sparky5019
11-05-17, 21:10
Sig Mosquito. Biggest POS in history. No fix even after pouring $$ into it to fix it. Won’t run any ammo out there period. I’m going to throw it in the trash 1 piece at a time and torch the frame...someday.

C. Stevens
11-05-17, 21:45
Sig Mosquito. Biggest POS in history. No fix even after pouring $$ into it to fix it. Won’t run any ammo out there period. I’m going to throw it in the trash 1 piece at a time and torch the frame...someday.Please put it in my trash can whole. [emoji39]

nixorz
11-06-17, 15:17
Can't really say i've owned an unreliable handgun out of all the ones i've owned. I run by the motto you pay for what you get so, I would rather spend a little extra for the peace of mind.

amd5007
11-07-17, 15:23
B&T APC 45! 2 of them! yep I have a whole thread about it.

C. Stevens
11-07-17, 19:17
Can't really say i've owned an unreliable handgun out of all the ones i've owned. I run by the motto you pay for what you get so, I would rather spend a little extra for the peace of mind.I bet the Kimber owners in this thread felt like you do till they brought home an$800-1300 jam o matic... Not that they all are, Keep in mind that there are $100 hi points with better track records than some high dollar guns

one
11-07-17, 22:37
The real top two are:

A 1980 mfg Browning High Power. Jammed from the word go. I finally fixed it myself years later via a Cylinder and Slide extractor I bought straight off Bill Laughridge of Cylinder and Slide back when they set up at the Tulsa, Ok Wanenmacher shows. Fixed it twenty years after I retired it. But it was a Christmas present from my parents in '84. Thanks to my Mom.

Second one, and really the worst one, was a Detonics combat master. Got it at a Wanenmacher show and was pretty proud. One of the very first ones built. Ended up being three pages of legal pad of breakage and failures. Thank God one of my buds at the time was a welder and could weld the magazine base back on that blew off one range session, leaving me with no magazine for a long out of production gun.

An RG .22 revolver the bore wasn't even centered in the barrel in.

After that was a laundry list of Smith and Wesson revolvers that could never be put back in time. Not even by the factory.

TROPICS
11-08-17, 13:08
CZ P-10c.....Easily the least reliable gun i've purchased!!! Failed the first day, Customer Service Wasn't much better

gunnut284
11-11-17, 09:48
Toss up:

Walther P22 that only works with Stingers

Springfield 1911 Loaded parkerized (older model) even after tuning the extractor, polishing the feed ramp and replacing the recoil spring it was never fully reliable.

Kimber Ultra CDP never made it through a full mag without an issue. Tuning the extractor got it down to only about once a mag but never good. It was beautiful and felt good but didn’t work right. Traded it to a friend with full disclosure. He never got it running right either.

Straight Shooter
11-11-17, 10:01
S&W 686 purchased FEB84 after coming home from boot camp. Couldnt fire two rounds w/o cylinder binding up so hard you could barely open it.
Took it back to dealer...reluctantly gave me another. SAME THING. This time, dealer was VERY reluctant to do anything. Finally, got third gun, was fine, shot it for many years.
Several years later, I see the recall Smith put on for those guns having undersized cylinders.

Brahmzy
11-11-17, 14:46
3 early Kimbers. All absolute crap. All went back for work to be done, 2 multiple times. Those 2 never worked reliably.
Sold all 3 and have bought 5 Wilson Combats since - all 100% reliable from day one.
All my other pistols have been rock solid with any ammo.
HKs, SIGs, Berettas, Walthers, WCs etc.
Oh forgot 2 Desert Eagles. Pretty bad reliability, but knew that going in.
50AE was mostly 95% reliable, 44 was atrocious.

3ACR_Scout
11-11-17, 18:06
Sig Mosquito. Biggest POS in history.
Without a doubt. My worst gun experience ever. Mine would fail to extract about every third casing, and it would often fail to cycle fully and load another round. With hotter ammo, it works a little better, but just barely. I would love to sell it to get rid of it, but I don’t want to curse anyone else with it. I may seriously look around for a gun buyback program to see if I can recover a few bucks and ensure it gets destroyed.

Sparky5019
11-11-17, 19:27
Without a doubt. My worst gun experience ever. Mine would fail to extract about every third casing, and it would often fail to cycle fully and load another round. With hotter ammo, it works a little better, but just barely. I would love to sell it to get rid of it, but I don’t want to curse anyone else with it. I may seriously look around for a gun buyback program to see if I can recover a few bucks and ensure it gets destroyed.

At least you got 2 in a row. Lol. Buyback sounds like a good idea.

OttoLoader
11-14-17, 22:57
Criteria for POS classification
New manufactured and covered by warranty company could not fix.

SIG Trailside Hammerli: Internal sear locked up sent in for warranty. Returned with new trigger locked up again. I sold to local gunsmith.
Walther PPK/S-1 by S&W sent in numerous times due to locking up. Probably galling. S&W gave me full refund.
Ruger LCP stainless. I have an original that worked great so I thought I would try the enhanced trigger version of 2014. Kept the original until the new one checked out. New one takedown pin walked out as the frame insert holes were out of round. First time at range. Got a replacement LCP because the insert was manufacture wrong.
The replacement worked OK but not as smooth as the original that I kept.
Sold the stainless LCP and bought a 2016 manufactured SIG P238 which runs great.

Lesson learned each manufacturer can produce a real POS or a very good gun. So when buying a new production gun a certain question does to mind.

Do you feel lucky?

jimjc
11-15-17, 15:58
Glock Gen IV....... I was involved in the Great Glock debacle, the problems went on and on and on. That was the end of Glock for me....I was going to dump it in a lake but traded it. Before leaving the dealer I told them it was a piece of ---t

shadowrider
11-15-17, 17:31
AMT Hardballer from the '80s. Piece of junk. Got traded off.

flenna
11-15-17, 20:43
AMT Backup .380 DAO. Trigger pull that would give you a hernia and jammed on anything but hardball. Also had the first gen S&W Sigma .40 cal. Hey, it's a Smith, what could go wrong? Let me count the ways.....

SOWT
11-16-17, 14:42
Kimber Covert II (IIRC).
FTF on most mags (even Wilson Combat) we bought/tried.
Wife traded it in for a Ruger 9MM, and we haven't missed the jam-o-matic.

theorangecat
11-16-17, 16:38
Walther P22 that only works with Stingers

At least yours worked with Stingers. The one I had didn't work with anything- essentially it was a single-shot plinker with extraction/ejection/safety problems.

I used up a lot of cussing fluid over that one.

toc