PDA

View Full Version : PMAG 30rd

No.6
10-05-08, 10:40
Do you load yours to 30rds or 28? Experience any problems loaded to 30?

DarrinD
10-05-08, 11:33

I have had no problems loading them to and keeping them loaded at 30. I do not know the technical specs, but PMags seem to load and hold 30 easier than steel G.I. mags. PMAGS are certainly a little bit bigger, longer, a touch wider, yet a little lighter. So, while I have no problems with 30, it probably would still put less pressure on the feed lips to load to 29? For now, I'm keeping them topped off with 30 . . . and as a fellow M4C member told me, "PMAGS are truly the cat's ass."

wickeddeus
10-05-08, 12:01
I've only used PMAG and have not had an issue with loading it to 30 though I don't have much overall experience.

Dave L.
10-05-08, 12:12
They are designed for 30- most will actually fit 31.
You should experience no problems loading to 30.

Grey
10-05-08, 12:30
I have been loading 30 rounds. My P-Mags still have a little bit of play with 30 rounds. I also store them with the magazine cover in place.

Stickman
10-05-08, 12:52
They were built for 30 rounds, not 28. You are good to go with a full load.

Beat Trash
10-05-08, 13:44
The ability to load 30 rds, keep the magazine loaded for an extended period, along with the fully loaded magazine being easier to seat on a closed bolt, are some of the selling points for the PMAG.

Sabre675
10-05-08, 15:31
Yes, fully loaded. JUST FYI...If your doing mag change drills do not use a fully loaded mag (in fact use empty Pmags), especially on a range with rock or concrete because the mags have a high probability of breaking! One of my co-workers was doing a dry run and transition drill on a course of fire. When he released one of his Pmags it dropped on one of the concrete lanes and immediately sent rounds all over. The Pmag had fractured at the back feed ramp. I would have never thought this to be the case with all of the torture test you see on youtube. But if you think about it all of the test are done with a mag unloaded. When they are full they don't have room to flex. Still in my opinion the best mag on the market. Plus Magpul made the situation right and replaced the mag.

Stickman
10-05-08, 16:32
But if you think about it all of the test are done with a mag unloaded.

I'm not sure what tests you have seen, or done first hand, but I can tell you the above statement is untrue. I've run over fully loaded PMAGs numerous times with my cruiser to prove a point. None of those PMAGs ever had a problem functioning, and I've done with with fully loaded, partially loaded, and empty PMAGs.

If the complaint is that doing mag dumps on concrete can damage a PMAG, stop and think about what it does to aluminum USGI magazines. It can bend the feedlips on those as well.

Magazines are disposable items, they aren't an indestructible use forever item.

Sabre675
10-05-08, 17:57
[QUOTE=Stickman;228236]I'm not sure what tests you have seen, or done first hand, but I can tell you the above statement is untrue. I've run over fully loaded PMAGs numerous times with my cruiser to prove a point. What point? There tough I know but I don't intend on them getting run over. On the range or in the real world however they may have to be dumped. A little more likely. None of those PMAGs ever had a problem functioning, and I've done with with fully loaded, partially loaded, and empty PMAGs. Good. I agree, the best mag on the market

If the complaint is that doing mag dumps on concrete can damage a PMAG, stop and think about what it does to aluminum USGI magazines. It can bend the feedlips on those as well. Key word being can.

Magazines are disposable items, they aren't an indestructible use forever item. I'm not totally obtuse. These were brand new and I don't think anyone believes they should have to continually replace magazines. I have 10 year old USGI mags that function flawlessly.

Maybe I'm wrong on the test I just remember the test I saw all mags were unloaded. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCFXcOOb4jc ) Still impressive. Please don't get defensive. I've already stated that I think the Pmags are the best mag on the market. I'm not making a case for USGI mags. I'm just stating what happened. I'm not talking about running the mag over either. I'm talking about releasing a loaded magazine. In this case on concrete and the back of magazine broke along the mold seem. Magpul even advised him that they don't recommend it. Neither would I, nor was it his intention on testing the mag by dumping it. It is just what happened. Key word here being can also this was only one instance. Like I said "FYI". Do what you like. Bottom line what makes the Pmag a better choice then all others is its ability to make your rifle work flawlessly.

pearson
10-05-08, 18:03
I load mine to 30 and keep them that way until I shoot them, and have not had a problem yet.

Parabellum9x19mm
10-05-08, 18:44
Sabre675, link (http://weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312)

Sabre675
10-05-08, 18:51
Sabre675, link (http://weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312)

Thank you! Good stuff. Also, like I said I'm a Pmag Koolaide drinker as well. Best mags to date. Maybe Stick can do multiple full mag dumps onto concrete in the future. Maybe my co-workers mag was an isolated incident. It would sure calm the critisism on our Sheriffs Dept. Funny story though. A few weeks ago during qualification I was making the case to change out our followers in our issued GI style mags with Magpul followers. Our rifle instructor said "why the USGI followers always work". The next Officer to complete the course of fire had a failure to feed. Poetic.

I'm hijacking the thread. I'll stop. Answers still 30 rounds.

Stickman
10-05-08, 20:21
Thank you! Good stuff. Also, like I said I'm a Pmag Koolaide drinker as well. Best mags to date. Maybe Stick can do multiple full mag dumps onto concrete in the future. Maybe my co-workers mag was an isolated incident. It would sure calm the critisism on our Sheriffs Dept. Funny story though. A few weeks ago during qualification I was making the case to change out our followers in our issued GI style mags with Magpul followers. Our rifle instructor said "why the USGI followers always work". The next Officer to complete the course of fire had a failure to feed. Poetic.

I'm hijacking the thread. I'll stop. Answers still 30 rounds.

I've already done plenty of speed reload drills on concrete, rock, and other hard objects with PMAGs and USGI mags. I do it all the time teaching departmental classes.

The context seems to be blown way out of proportion here, which isn't uncommon for online activity.

Jay Cunningham
10-05-08, 20:30
What exactly did Sabre675 say that was so controversial?

As far as I can tell he warned against dropping fully loaded magazines on concrete because they might be damaged.

This is somehow wrong?

Sabre675
10-05-08, 20:53
I've already done plenty of speed reload drills on concrete, rock, and other hard objects with PMAGs and USGI mags. I do it all the time teaching departmental classes.

The context seems to be blown way out of proportion here, which isn't uncommon for online activity.

Once again I'm not in disagreement. Appreciated the link and found your tests interesting. Glad to hear you have conducted the above test. Sincerely. I'll pass on the info. If you think my scenario is somehow made up call Magpul. The incident happened in July 08. Sorry if my feeble insight offended anyone.

Jay Cunningham
10-05-08, 21:38
Sorry if my feeble incite offended anyone.

It didn't offend me.

taarobaap
10-06-08, 15:04

Never had any problems loading 30 in any of my PMAGs...

tpe187
10-06-08, 20:16
PMAGS can break
Before you think the sky is falling, it is really only when fully loaded and dropped on concrete, feed lips down. I have tested them extensivily and not been able to replicated this under normal conditions. When I simulated a fumbled reload, the mag hit with a glancing blow and didn't suffer any damage. Only when dropped from shoulder height, feed lips straight down, did I get any failures. As Stickman show's in his thread, that made no difference in the performance of the mag. Its only affect is that it may not retain a full 30rds depending on the length of the crack. See my thread for some pics and description. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=8735&page=2

CarlosDJackal
10-06-08, 20:48
At a Pat Rogers class I attended in PA, one of the shooters had a malfunction with a PMag he had loaded with 30-rounds. When started to only load 28-roubs, the malfunction went away.

I always load my mags down two.

ST911
10-06-08, 21:00
28 in mine, and those I'm responsible for.

Most will seat easily enough with 30, but enough won't that I'll hedge the bet.

marylandsniper
10-07-08, 01:28
Yes, fully loaded. JUST FYI...If your doing mag change drills do not use a fully loaded mag (in fact use empty Pmags), especially on a range with rock or concrete because the mags have a high probability of breaking! One of my co-workers was doing a dry run and transition drill on a course of fire. When he released one of his Pmags it dropped on one of the concrete lanes and immediately sent rounds all over. The Pmag had fractured at the back feed ramp. I would have never thought this to be the case with all of the torture test you see on youtube. But if you think about it all of the test are done with a mag unloaded. When they are full they don't have room to flex. Still in my opinion the best mag on the market. Plus Magpul made the situation right and replaced the mag.

I have done so called loaded mag change drills to many times to count on concrete and never had an issue. I have thrown loaded mags at walls (don't ask - it was a long night) without any issues. It may have been a defective mag, but this is not the norm for magpul mags.

cessnapilot
10-07-08, 03:11
I'm not sure what tests you have seen, or done first hand, but I can tell you the above statement is untrue. I've run over fully loaded PMAGs numerous times with my cruiser to prove a point. None of those PMAGs ever had a problem functioning, and I've done with with fully loaded, partially loaded, and empty PMAGs.

If the complaint is that doing mag dumps on concrete can damage a PMAG, stop and think about what it does to aluminum USGI magazines. It can bend the feedlips on those as well.

Magazines are disposable items, they aren't an indestructible use forever item.

I have some G.I 20 and 30 rounders that look like shit and must be from the Vietnam era . They work perfectly , that's just about "use forever" to me anyway.
-pilot

seekretsqrl
10-09-08, 00:31
If long(er) term storage is an issue, the new p-mags come with storage clips for the top. This takes the strain off of the lips for a full 30 rounds in the mag. This is why they seem to hold 31 round for some. Not very tactical when situations arise (with the storage clip in place) but for those who like having spairs available it works.

cobra90gt
10-09-08, 07:08
30 in each mag. :D