PDA

View Full Version : ar beater upper

rhinombg
08-20-17, 16:44
would 159.00 upper for my 6920 be worth the money for an extra beater upper. Midlenght 16 in, dust cover, foward assist, a2 front sight and deflector. no bcg and ch.

young_gun
08-20-17, 16:56
No.

Go to sgammo.com, look at their Golden Tiger .223 ammo, and buy a case of it for about 200 bucks shipped to your door. I'm assuming this upper is from PSA so just avoid making the mistakes I made and just buy ammo and shoot your gun.

rhinombg
08-20-17, 17:01
yes psa

sliver_back
08-20-17, 17:03
As much as I would like to sell you my entry level upper complete with bcg for much less than that, their really is no reason for you to be looking for one. Young _ gun is spot on.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

young_gun
08-20-17, 17:07
yes psa

Even more of a hard no. I did that once and all I've gotten from the upper is headache. It isn't worth it, just buy ammo and shoot the hell out of your Colt, it's a duty grade rifle and it will take all the abuse you can throw at it. Resist the urge to buy more gear and just throw that money at ammo or training, if that's your thing.

sliver_back
08-20-17, 17:08
Again I agree 100%.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

thebarracuda
08-20-17, 17:56
Spare uppers become spare rifles. So don't buy cheap uppers.

TomMontana
08-20-17, 18:49
What would be the purpose of a beater upper? To preserve the barrel life of a current upper that you enjoy shooting?

Averageman
08-20-17, 21:29
I wouldn't buy a"beater" anything in this market.
Spare parts like barrels a bcg's perhaps, but the market being as it currently is, lay back quality gear and shoot as much as possible.
We may be living in the good old days again soon.

Cokie
08-20-17, 23:07
For your only beater? Yes. For a 2nd beater? No.

If you have only your 6920 and plan to use it for bad times, then a beater to keep it at low rounds is a good idea. And you probably won't get them cheap than 159 (+ bolt carrier group and charging handle). If you already have a beater, I 2nd the buy ammo and shoot the crap out of it. You 6920 is good at it's job, are you good at yours?

titsonritz
08-22-17, 11:04
I get someone getting a POS because they knew no better, but to knowingly buying a POS is beyond my comprehension.

MistWolf
08-22-17, 11:34
would 159.00 upper for my 6920 be worth the money for an extra beater upper. Midlenght 16 in, dust cover, foward assist, a2 front sight and deflector. no bcg and ch.

Do the math. We're talking $160 for the upper, but how much for shipping, BCG & CH?

Lessee, PSA has a nickel boron BCG and a standard charging handle for $110. That's a complete upper for $270 plus shipping. That's not bad for a blaster upper. It'll need the extractor spring upgraded, but those are cheap. It's a decent price for an upper that's going to be loaned out or abused

young_gun
08-22-17, 11:57
Do the math. We're talking $160 for the upper, but how much for shipping, BCG & CH?

Lessee, PSA has a nickel boron BCG and a standard charging handle for $110. That's a complete upper for $270 plus shipping. That's not bad for a blaster upper. It'll need the extractor spring upgraded, but those are cheap. It's a decent price for an upper that's going to be loaned out or abused

Alternatively, that's 1500 rounds of cheap steel cased ammo or nearly halfway to another Colt. I have a $280 PSA upper and I can tell you or anyone else that they are a complete waste of time. The damn thing is so over gassed that I run an H2 buffer with Wolf ammo, and this is a mid length gun. You can also reference posts in the thread about my BCG eating through and destroying the gas rings in a few hundred rounds.

Don't waste your time and money with a PSA gun. There is absolutely no reason to do that in this market.

QuickStrike
08-22-17, 12:08
Just get another colt 6920 upper or one of similar quality.

MistWolf
08-22-17, 18:43
Alternatively, that's 1500 rounds of cheap steel cased ammo or nearly halfway to another Colt. I have a $280 PSA upper and I can tell you or anyone else that they are a complete waste of time. The damn thing is so over gassed that I run an H2 buffer with Wolf ammo, and this is a mid length gun. You can also reference posts in the thread about my BCG eating through and destroying the gas rings in a few hundred rounds.

Don't waste your time and money with a PSA gun. There is absolutely no reason to do that in this market.

You advise against getting a cheap blaster upper but suggest getting cheap blaster ammo? A cheap carrier may eat gas rings but cheap ammo may blow up your rifle.

A cheap upper may not be the best choice, but it's not catastrophic

tgizzard
08-22-17, 19:01
People get so hard up for buying extra uppers, guns, etc .. I say buy a quality rifle, spare parts, then load up on Ammo, ammo, and more ammo + plus a few training classes.

young_gun
08-23-17, 13:39
You advise against getting a cheap blaster upper but suggest getting cheap blaster ammo? A cheap carrier may eat gas rings but cheap ammo may blow up your rifle.

A cheap upper may not be the best choice, but it's not catastrophic

I can admit that the chances of a kaboom are higher with the cheap Russian ammo, and it's a personal choice of mine to accept that when I buy/shoot it. That being said, I've never had cheap/crappy ammo hurting my guns, but I have had problems with every PSA component that I've bought. If Russian ammo is off the table for the OP, Federal is still doing a rebate for XM193 and XM855 that brings it down to ~$250 per k shipped. Still cheaper than an upper that will likely give you problems...

markm
08-24-17, 13:18
I keep a 10.5 Aero barrelled beater upper for blasting lower quality ammo.

Pappabear
08-24-17, 16:19
If you buy the upper, you will buy a lower for it. So buy one your happy to own. Even if it's not the best, YOUR OPINION of it should be acceptable, because uppers stay uppers are a rare bread of uppers for most people.

PB