PDA

View Full Version : Journalists function at lowest mental levels (study)

WillBrink
08-22-17, 11:28
A finding that will come as a shock to virtually no one, but nice to see some conformation what we see these days, most of them are brain dead. Note this study getting zero mention by the media...

Journalists drink too much, are bad at managing emotions, and operate at a lower level than average, according to a new study

Journalists' brains show a lower-than-average level of executive functioning, according to a new study, which means they have a below-average ability to regulate their emotions, suppress biases, solve complex problems, switch between tasks, and show creative and flexible thinking.

The study, led by Tara Swart, a neuroscientist and leadership coach, analysed 40 journalists from newspapers, magazines, broadcast, and online platforms over seven months. The participants took part in tests related to their lifestyle, health, and behaviour.

Cont:

http://www.businessinsider.com/journalists-brains-function-at-a-lower-level-than-average-2017-5

Grand58742
08-22-17, 13:39
Scientists discovered water is wet today too.

docsherm
08-22-17, 15:08
Breaking News!!!!!
Fire is HOT!

Now we continue with life! .......:blink:

tb-av
08-22-17, 15:13
Ha! Wouldn't it be funny to see a 60 Minutes segment devoted to it though.

ScottsBad
08-22-17, 15:24
Journalists are one group no one will stick up for. Funny that it took a study to discover what we all intuitively know. Too bad the study will be ignored.

glocktogo
08-22-17, 15:37
The shocking revelation is that they actually found 40 "journalists" to study. :rolleyes:

Dienekes
08-22-17, 17:04
In other words, they function at the level of twelve year olds.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-22-17, 17:34
Nobody dropped out of the Journalism to join me in the Chemistry program....

I have a twelve year old. He says less stupid crap than the pundits on the Sunday shows.

Outlander Systems
08-22-17, 17:38
Never conflate "The Media" as being information disseminators.

They are anything but.

soulezoo
08-22-17, 18:43
Journalists are quickly becoming less popular than lawyers and politicians...

Grand58742
08-22-17, 19:31
Journalists are quickly becoming less popular than lawyers and politicians...

Quickly? They had the Concorde tickets straight to #1.

docsherm
08-22-17, 19:48
Quickly? They had the Concorde tickets straight to #1.

So true. The "Express elevator to Hell".

mkmckinley
08-22-17, 20:14
Nobody dropped out of the Journalism to join me in the Chemistry program....

This is the funniest thing I've read all month. Because it's true.

26 Inf
08-22-17, 20:53
The title of the thread, juxtaposed with the actual contents of the article, lead me to wonder if Will actually read the article. Or, was he guilty of what we decry the media for doing, sensationalizing a headline? :jester:

The American Press Institute has a nice little section on it's website entitled What is Journalism? https://www.americanpressinstitute.org/journalism-essentials/what-is-journalism/ One of the sections is entitled The lost meaning of objectivity https://www.americanpressinstitute.org/journalism-essentials/bias-objectivity/lost-meaning-objectivity/ I took a moment to bookmark the site and quickly read through it, a couple of gems presented themselves:

1. The diversity and magnitude of the public, in fact, is its strength. A mix of publics is usually much wiser than a public comprised of just the elite or one segment of special interest. The wisdom of decision-making by an interlocking public is embedded in the notion that government “by the people” means citizens have the duty to keep themselves informed.

2. Transparency means show your work so readers can decide for themselves why they should believe it.

Don’t allow your audience to be deceived by acts of omission — tell them as much as you can about the story they are reading.
Tell the audience what you know and what you don’t know. Never imply that you have more knowledge than you actually do.
Tell the audience who your sources are, how they are in a position to know something, and what their potential biases might be.

Transparency signals the journalist’s respect for the audience. It allows the audience to judge the validity of the information, the process by which it was secured and the motives and biases of the journalist providing it.

Essentially, I think a lot of journalists are a lot like some of the folks I've worked with - they've lost focus on their purpose, if they ever discerned that purpose in the first place. For the most part this is not stupidity, it is simply a lack of reflection.

Of course there are those journalists out to deceive and manipulate, generally they manage to announce their biases to a discerning audience.

Averageman
08-22-17, 21:01
And on that note a journalist from ESPN has been set aside from reporting for a bit. apparently his name; Robert Lee is too controversial.

Btw, he is Asian.

26 Inf
08-22-17, 21:43
And on that note a journalist from ESPN has been set aside from reporting for a bit. apparently his name; Robert Lee is too controversial.

Btw, he is Asian.

Eff me running.

Outkick The Coverage was the first to find out about Lee being pulled from covering Virginia’s game against William and Mary. Lee has now been moved to the game between Pittsburgh and Youngstown State instead. Dave Weekley has been moved to cover the game in Virginia as there appear to be no issues with him offending anyone.

http://www.inquisitr.com/4446739/espn-pulls-asian-announcer-robert-lee-from-virginia-football-game-so-as-not-to-offend-anyone/

The management at ESPN is definitely functioning at a low level of brain activity.

glocktogo
08-22-17, 22:56
Eff me running.

Outkick The Coverage was the first to find out about Lee being pulled from covering Virginia’s game against William and Mary. Lee has now been moved to the game between Pittsburgh and Youngstown State instead. Dave Weekley has been moved to cover the game in Virginia as there appear to be no issues with him offending anyone.

http://www.inquisitr.com/4446739/espn-pulls-asian-announcer-robert-lee-from-virginia-football-game-so-as-not-to-offend-anyone/

The management at ESPN is definitely functioning at a low level of brain activity.

ESPN has gone full retard in the past few years. It is now an extension of the leftist platform. :(

Honu
08-23-17, 01:34

Btw, he is Asian.
read something to the take of
how about going after Loreta LYNCH !!!! that is quite racist

other comment that cracked me up is when are we going to see a ban on "Dixie Cups"

Moose-Knuckle
08-23-17, 05:19

Btw, he is Asian.

I see his "Asian Privilege" didn't help him out there one single bit.

Various Asian-American groups have protested the salaries of the Asian actors of Hawaii 5-0, I'll be interested to see if anyone to include the ACLU comes to Mr. Lee's aide.

"Liberalism is a mental disorder". Dr. Michael Savage

read something to the take of
how about going after Loreta LYNCH !!!! that is quite racist

:lol:

Triggered! Triggered!

WillBrink
08-23-17, 07:35
The title of the thread, juxtaposed with the actual contents of the article, lead me to wonder if Will actually read the article. Or, was he guilty of what we decry the media for doing, sensationalizing a headline? :jester:

The American Press Institute has a nice little section on it's website entitled What is Journalism? https://www.americanpressinstitute.org/journalism-essentials/what-is-journalism/ One of the sections is entitled The lost meaning of objectivity https://www.americanpressinstitute.org/journalism-essentials/bias-objectivity/lost-meaning-objectivity/ I took a moment to bookmark the site and quickly read through it, a couple of gems presented themselves:

1. The diversity and magnitude of the public, in fact, is its strength. A mix of publics is usually much wiser than a public comprised of just the elite or one segment of special interest. The wisdom of decision-making by an interlocking public is embedded in the notion that government “by the people” means citizens have the duty to keep themselves informed.

2. Transparency means show your work so readers can decide for themselves why they should believe it.

Don’t allow your audience to be deceived by acts of omission — tell them as much as you can about the story they are reading.
Tell the audience what you know and what you don’t know. Never imply that you have more knowledge than you actually do.
Tell the audience who your sources are, how they are in a position to know something, and what their potential biases might be.

Transparency signals the journalist’s respect for the audience. It allows the audience to judge the validity of the information, the process by which it was secured and the motives and biases of the journalist providing it.

Essentially, I think a lot of journalists are a lot like some of the folks I've worked with - they've lost focus on their purpose, if they ever discerned that purpose in the first place. For the most part this is not stupidity, it is simply a lack of reflection.

Of course there are those journalists out to deceive and manipulate, generally they manage to announce their biases to a discerning audience.

Actually, I read the (yet to be published) study itself which is an interesting read:

http://www.taraswart.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Report-Study-into-the-mental-resilience-of-journalists-Dr-Tara-Swart.pdf