PDA

View Full Version : Movie: American Assassin

CLHC
08-23-17, 13:07
Just saw this trailer which is kinda sorta like a Bourne[ish] movie (in my opinon):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW0PrPgI8F8

Simply from the clip(s) just viewed it's something I would watch like any Hollywood Action movie. No mawkish cheesiness allowed. Will see when it does. :dirol:

TAZ
08-23-17, 13:15
I loved the books. Hopefully they do them justice.

Palmguy
08-23-17, 13:22
I loved the books. Hopefully they do them justice.

The trailer makes it clear that they have taken quite a bit of liberty with the storyline from the book. I love the series and hope the movie doesn't screw it up.

Moose-Knuckle
08-23-17, 13:39
Never read the books but the trailer peaked my interest.

Probably be a rental for me.

ggammell
08-23-17, 17:05
The trailer makes it clear that they have taken quite a bit of liberty with the storyline from the book. I love the series and hope the movie doesn't screw it up.

Kinda had to.

SkiDevil
08-25-17, 10:43
I saw the preview last night at the movies. It looks like a good action movie. It stars Michael Keaton, a great actor. It reminds me of 'Spy Game' with Robert Redford and Brad Pitt. A great film if you missed it.

BoringGuy45
08-25-17, 11:17
I saw the preview last night at the movies. It looks like a good action movie. It stars Michael Keaton, a great actor. It reminds me of 'Spy Game' with Robert Redford and Brad Pitt. A great film if you missed it.

Very underrated film!

I just hope American Assassin doesn't turn into yet more left wing propaganda. Vince Flynn was a self-proclaimed conservative, he had no problem calling out Islamic terrorism for what it is, and he obviously bristled at every politician who suggested that we negotiate with terrorists.

It wouldn't surprise me if they change the movie, and it turns out that the president in this movie is a loudmouthed tycoon/reality TV star with no political experience and bad hair named President Ronald Thump, and whose actions are to blame for the rise of whatever terrorist Mitch Rapp has to track down...and Mitch learns at the end that the REAL enemy is the alt-right and not ISIS.

WillBrink
08-25-17, 11:36
Never read the books but the trailer peaked my interest.

Probably be a rental for me.

Vince Flynn books with Mitch Rapp pretty much set the bar for the genre. I'm amazed it took this long to make a movie from his books and that they chose that one. He only had a few chumps in the series, but realized it and got the character back on track. I stopped reading the series when Flynn died a few years ago and it's now written by another author. I recommend just starting with his first book in the series which in some respects, still my favorite as he took what seems on the surface a totally improbable plot and makes it completely believable. I suspect a number of movies such as Olympus Has Fallen etc were derived from that book minus the credit due Flynn.

BoringGuy45
08-25-17, 16:45
Vince Flynn books with Mitch Rapp pretty much set the bar for the genre. I'm amazed it took this long to make a movie from his books and that they chose that one. He only had a few chumps in the series, but realized it and got the character back on track. I stopped reading the series when Flynn died a few years ago and it's now written by another author. I recommend just starting with his first book in the series which in some respects, still my favorite as he took what seems on the surface a totally improbable plot and makes it completely believable. I suspect a number of movies such as Olympus Has Fallen etc were derived from that book minus the credit due Flynn.

Flynn was one of the writers 24. There was a story arc in one of the later seasons that was obviously based on Transfer of Power.

One of the things that I liked about Transfer of Power, and most of Flynn's other books, is that while Mitch Rapp is a Jason Bourne-esque one man wrecking crew that pushes the boundaries of believable, there is some rationality in the books' action scenes. I like that most of the time, Rapp is either supporting, or being supported by, special operations teams, and that Flynn never did the whole "terrorists can easily best a special ops team, but they're no match for one pissed off guy" (Nothing against Die Hard or even The Rock). It's too bad that Olympus Has Fallen and White House Down were made, because a good adaption of Transfer of Power would have been much better.

ggammell
08-25-17, 17:04
Flynn was one of the writers 24. There was a story arc in one of the later seasons that was obviously based on Transfer of Power.

One of the things that I liked about Transfer of Power, and most of Flynn's other books, is that while Mitch Rapp is a Jason Bourne-esque one man wrecking crew that pushes the boundaries of believable, there is some rationality in the books' action scenes. I like that most of the time, Rapp is either supporting, or being supported by, special operations teams, and that Flynn never did the whole "terrorists can easily best a special ops team, but they're no match for one pissed off guy" (Nothing against Die Hard or even The Rock). It's too bad that Olympus Has Fallen and White House Down were made, because a good adaption of Transfer of Power would have been much better.

I read transfer of power after a friend of mine (a chick who doesn't read those kind of books) said it was one of the best stories shes read. I met Flynn once at boo signing. Awesome guy. Too bad he passed. I went by on duty and scratched out my reports in the back while he read and spoke with the listeners. I was last thru the book signing line. He made a really nice inscription. Classy guy.

26 Inf
09-20-17, 20:51
Went and saw American Assassin a couple days ago. I think I have read everything Vince Flynn has written and went into the theater expecting to see deviations from the book. I was still disappointed that the original story line wasn't followed more closely. Overall, I was disappointed in the movie. My wife on the other hand, having not read the book, thought the movie was "OK" not good, not great, "OK." As recent points of reference, we both liked Atomic Blonde except for the smoking, which has been thoroughly discussed. The last movie we had seen before AA was The Hitman's Bodyguard which had us both rolling in the plush, faux leather, reclining theater seats.

SPOILER ALERT

O'Brien/Rapp takes I to the thigh/hip and one to the shoulder in the beach massacre. Remarkably little scarring LOL.

The scenes of shooting at the range, lets see, groups I don' need no freaking groups, going out in front of the firing line on an active commercial range, and full-auto?

I thought Keaton's portrayal of Hurley was over the top. WTF was up with firing across the ring when Mitch and Victor were fighting? Weren't there other recruits in that area? And again, WTF was the gun in the mouth? Keaton made the role a caricature.

Those things pretty much got the movie off to a bad start with me, and it didn't really recover.

JMO.

Palmguy
09-20-17, 21:32

Completely agree.