PDA

View Full Version : How "our" kinda gals use their version of a Fidget Spinner!

M4Fundi
08-24-17, 00:48
I am usually 10 years behind on pop culture stuff so I thought people would get this... I had heard from several people that Universities and some Companies were giving Fidget Spinners to Snowflakes in their time of emotional duress while they occupied the designated "Safe Place" for them to sit and spin, i.e. A woobie or blankie or a Fidget Spinner and then I saw that Lena Miculek spins a Balisong Butterfly Knife to relax when stressed out and it made me laugh about the difference between their women and our women.

How "our" kinda gals use their version of a Fidget Spinner when they need to go into that safe place emotionally... Lena Miculek is AWESOME!! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-czDK3q-VEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-czDK3q-VEU

Moose-Knuckle
08-24-17, 04:58
That whole family just impresses the hell out of me every time I read or watch anything on them.

Eurodriver
08-24-17, 05:56
That whole family just impresses the hell out of me every time I read or watch anything on them.

Same.

But I'm not so sure what is so impressive about a knife review or how it relates to fidget spinners?

SteyrAUG
08-24-17, 12:48
Same.

But I'm not so sure what is so impressive about a knife review or how it relates to fidget spinners?

I believe what the OP is going for is her "fidget spinners" are balisongs.

ralph
08-24-17, 14:57
I was mildly interested in the knife she was promoting until I went and checked the price...$369.00.. I may be a bit out of my lane here, but is'nt that a bit much for a edc knife? I liked the knife and all, but not that much.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-24-17, 15:18
I believe what the OP is going for is her "fidget spinners" are balisongs.

I sadly admit I had to google balisong. I like knives but I guess never been into that type so just always called them butterfly knives.

SteyrAUG
08-24-17, 15:51
I was mildly interested in the knife she was promoting until I went and checked the price...$369.00.. I may be a bit out of my lane here, but is'nt that a bit much for a edc knife? I liked the knife and all, but not that much.

Quality balis can get out of hand quickly. It's a strong and solid design, but making them correctly is expensive. Anything no longer produced will be even more expensive, Jody Samson customs usually start at about $1,500 and I've seen them sell for as high as $4,500 for a rare example.

SteyrAUG
08-24-17, 15:57
I sadly admit I had to google balisong. I like knives but I guess never been into that type so just always called them butterfly knives.

Among martial artists, especially prior to the late 1970s, these are what most people thought of if you said butterfly knife.

http://www.prowes.net/images/posts/d390051a680bee26_2328x784.jpg

To avoid confusion, they are now usually called Butterfly Swords or by the Chinese name Bart Cham Dao.

And similarly to avoid confusion, butterfly knives are usually called balisong.

Here's four of mine.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20915369_1424308860983254_219927589102415340_n.jpg?oh=9b1c0958670e3e0a84e884784b3428a1&oe=5A1B9B9C

JC5188
08-24-17, 15:58

Different strokes, as they say...

You'd have to add nearly a c-note to that price to buy the one I carry every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulletdog
08-24-17, 17:25
I've never heard of somebody never hearing of a balisong… And on a gun forum, no less…

I can't imagine a generation not growing up learning how to manipulate those knives… It should be second nature.

SteyrAUG
08-24-17, 17:52
I've never heard of somebody never hearing of a balisong… And on a gun forum, no less…

I can't imagine a generation not growing up learning how to manipulate those knives… It should be second nature.

It was largely an 80s thing (The Outsiders, Red Dawn, etc.) and with the emergence and greater legality of tool grade automatics and thumb openers I can see why some might not be aware of a balisong.

Once upon a time it may have been the fastest, strongest folder out there but now some just see it as overly complicated and expensive. Despite having spent years studying arnis systems and learning more applications with a balisong than I can possibly remember it still isn't my first pick for an EDC knife.

I collect them (especially older examples), I practice the arts associated with them and I even appreciate their visual appeal but when it comes to blades I usually opt for a fixed blade or auto. Of course a big part of that is the only company currently producing a balisong I'd use and carry is 29 Knives and they are expensive customs. The Benchmade 60s series is ok, and probably the most affordable bali for the money but they are a tad small for me.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-24-17, 19:45

I have heard of the knife and even owned one. Just never knew it was called that. We called it a butterfly knife although I probably haven't owned one since the late 80s early 90s. If you google butterfly knife that is what you see as well. The term balisong is what I didn't know. According to the all knowing and never wrong wikipedia it is know as a balisong in the Philippines.

Also if my memory is correct they were illegal to carry in Texas until a few years ago(any type of switch blade). I believe it was 2013 when the law changed. And as of Sept. 1st the Texas law changes again and you can carry pretty much any bladed weapon you want including any length sword :)

M4Fundi
08-24-17, 23:12
I am usually 10 years behind on pop culture stuff so I thought people would get it... I had heard from several people that Universities and some Companies were giving Fidget Spinners to Snowflakes in their time of emotional duress while they occupied the designated "Safe Place" for them to sit and spin, i.e. A woobie or blankie or a Fidget Spinner and then I saw that Lena Miculek spins a Balisong Butterfly Knife to relax when stressed out and it made me laugh about the difference between their women and our women.

Bulletdog
08-25-17, 03:05
...And as of Sept. 1st the Texas law changes again and you can carry pretty much any bladed weapon you want including any length sword :)

So have you got your katana all shined up and ready to go? Will you wear it across your back like Michone, or play it cool and wear it on your hip?

Bulletdog
08-25-17, 03:05
...And as of Sept. 1st the Texas law changes again and you can carry pretty much any bladed weapon you want including any length sword :)

So have you got your katana all shined up and ready to go? Will you wear it across your back like Michone, or play it cool and wear it on your hip?

Moose-Knuckle
08-25-17, 05:05

I can't justify spending over a $150 for a piece of tempered tool steel. To me expensive knives reiterate for me the principle of diminishing return. If a knife is going to cost me north of that I'll just save for another GLOCK, I pick up almost new nothing but holster wear LEO trade in G19/17s for $300+.

Now I'm not talking about collecting knives, that is a whole other ball of wax all together. We have a pretty good EDC knife thread going in the Tactical Lights, Lasers & Knives technical sub-forum and some of the pieces in there and their prices are jaw dropping.

I am usually 10 years behind on pop culture stuff so I thought people would get it... I had heard from several people that Universities and some Companies were giving Fidget Spinners to Snowflakes in their time of emotional duress while they occupied the designated "Safe Place" for them to sit and spin, i.e. A woobie or blankie or a Fidget Spinner and then I saw that Lena Miculek spins a Balisong Butterfly Knife to relax when stressed out and it made me laugh about the difference between their women and our women.

I totally was tracking with you.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4413/35957960134_64164fa854_b.jpg

Gunfixr
08-25-17, 08:55
I used to have a pair of the original balisongs, now benchmade, versions.
I let them go, like a dumbass.
They were around $60-$80 back then.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Bravo
08-25-17, 08:59

Which one? I plan on dual wielding.

SteyrAUG
08-25-17, 15:58

We need that Texas law everywhere so my 40 years of Iaido won't be completely pointless.

:sarcastic:

Kain
08-25-17, 16:15
Different strokes, as they say...

You'd have to add nearly a c-note to that price to buy the one I carry every day.

Pretty much. When people hear how much I have in the Surefire light that I carry I get odd looks. Seriously, between, light, knife, and gun, I'm carrying about $1'200 on my person in gear after all is said and done, some people's cars didn't cost them that much. But, like a good watch, there is something to be said for taking pride in owning a tool that you both enjoy owning and that fills the role you intend for it well. If that means going with a cheap buck knife, as long as it works for you, great, if that means like some, carrying a $600 or $700 folder of some sort, also great. I don't have an issue until we start getting into the dick measuring portion of it because to honest, chances are both knives fill the same role. But, the buying what you like, want, and makes you happy has kept a lot of businesses in business.

I do have one cheapo balisong I picked up a while back, I enjoy playing with it, have picked up a few techniques that can be used with it, some which actually I would argue make it appealing from a defensive standpoint since I have options. That said, I still EDC my Emerson, so....

Would like to pick up a better quality one at some point just to have though.

JC5188
08-25-17, 17:28
Pretty much. When people hear how much I have in the Surefire light that I carry I get odd looks. Seriously, between, light, knife, and gun, I'm carrying about $1'200 on my person in gear after all is said and done, some people's cars didn't cost them that much. But, like a good watch, there is something to be said for taking pride in owning a tool that you both enjoy owning and that fills the role you intend for it well. If that means going with a cheap buck knife, as long as it works for you, great, if that means like some, carrying a $600 or $700 folder of some sort, also great. I don't have an issue until we start getting into the dick measuring portion of it because to honest, chances are both knives fill the same role. But, the buying what you like, want, and makes you happy has kept a lot of businesses in business.

I do have one cheapo balisong I picked up a while back, I enjoy playing with it, have picked up a few techniques that can be used with it, some which actually I would argue make it appealing from a defensive standpoint since I have options. That said, I still EDC my Emerson, so....

Would like to pick up a better quality one at some point just to have though.

Yep, I've come to the more expensive stuff by way of the cheaper stuff...and there's nothing wrong with that.

When it comes to edc knives, there are absolute FANTASTIC blades available for well under $100...depending what one wants or needs from their choice. I'm not a knife snob by any stretch of the imagination, I just knew that once I was fortunate enough to afford a more expensive one...well, it was gonna happen.

Kain
08-25-17, 18:38
Yep, I've come to the more expensive stuff by way of the cheaper stuff...and there's nothing wrong with that.

When it comes to edc knives, there are absolute FANTASTIC blades available for well under $100...depending what one wants or needs from their choice. I'm not a knife snob by any stretch of the imagination, I just knew that once I was fortunate enough to afford a more expensive one...well, it was gonna happen.

I absolutely agree. I've EDCed knives from the $12 range, then $20, then $35, then $50, $80, $100, and up from there. Have a few SOG knives that I paid $50 or so for, maybe less, that I carried for quite some time that I still have and have sitting around that still get used. But, I've transitioned to higher end blades as time has gone by. One the flip side, I have another friend who we bought him his first EDC knife, a Gerber something or the other, for like $40 probably 7 years ago now, and he is still rocking that thing and very happy with it. He doesn't have the desire to buy another one or spend more on one. On the same note, what he spends on computer hardware makes me cringe at times, but he is big into computers and gaming. To each there own.

JC5188
08-26-17, 04:55
I absolutely agree. I've EDCed knives from the $12 range, then $20, then $35, then $50, $80, $100, and up from there. Have a few SOG knives that I paid $50 or so for, maybe less, that I carried for quite some time that I still have and have sitting around that still get used. But, I've transitioned to higher end blades as time has gone by. One the flip side, I have another friend who we bought him his first EDC knife, a Gerber something or the other, for like $40 probably 7 years ago now, and he is still rocking that thing and very happy with it. He doesn't have the desire to buy another one or spend more on one. On the same note, what he spends on computer hardware makes me cringe at times, but he is big into computers and gaming. To each there own.

Lol...exactly. I don't own a computer that isn't double digit years in age.