PDA

View Full Version : PredatOBR vs KAC LPR. Considerations?

ClangClang
08-24-17, 12:48
I've decided to start looking for a new 5.56 rifle to use in Run N Gun matches. Anywhere from 3-5 miles of running with interspersed multigun stages along the way with 4MOA targets out to 350-400 yds. Due to living in Maryland, I'm left with some unusual restrictions - to be legal, an AR-pattern rifle must either have a "heavy" barrel or have proprietary parts (bolt, gas system, etc) so as to not be interchangeable with a conventional AR. The PredatOBR has a heavy barrel, the LPR has the KAC gas system and E3 bolt. None of the matches take place in MD, but I'd rather not have to store the uppers off site, so my preference is to acquire something that is legal both in and out of state.

So, does anyone have any recommendations on which way to go? Or another direction entirely? I know both rifles are top of the line , so my metrics for comparison are more along the lines of reliability, accuracy, manufacturer support, ease of finding replacement parts, etc.

I will have a Vortex Razor HD 1-6 with JM1 reticle on top.

Failure2Stop
08-24-17, 19:25
I've decided to start looking for a new 5.56 rifle to use in Run N Gun matches. Anywhere from 3-5 miles of running with interspersed multigun stages along the way with 4MOA targets out to 350-400 yds. Due to living in Maryland, I'm left with some unusual restrictions - to be legal, an AR-pattern rifle must either have a "heavy" barrel or have proprietary parts (bolt, gas system, etc) so as to not be interchangeable with a conventional AR. The PredatOBR has a heavy barrel, the LPR has the KAC gas system and E3 bolt. None of the matches take place in MD, but I'd rather not have to store the uppers off site, so my preference is to acquire something that is legal both in and out of state.

So, does anyone have any recommendations on which way to go? Or another direction entirely? I know both rifles are top of the line , so my metrics for comparison are more along the lines of reliability, accuracy, manufacturer support, ease of finding replacement parts, etc.

I will have a Vortex Razor HD 1-6 with JM1 reticle on top.

I can tell you that you won't be disappointed with the LPR's performance for what you will be doing with it, and you won't be disappointed with KAC's customer support!
Yeah, I'm an employee of KAC, hahaha.
Seriously though, back with the Mod 2 changeover, we lightened the LPR's stainless barrel by a little under a pound, and they still are consistently sub-MOA with good ammo.

Spin Drift
08-26-17, 09:13
KAC

My Mod 1 shoots little bug holes w 77s and 69s.

Parts?
Look here:http://www.operationparts.com/brands/Knight%27s-Armament.html

I haven't told my Mod 1 yet, but the Mod 2 is the kitties titties. The URX4 is sweet, other than a bipod, what are you really going to hang on it?

If you can't find one, just buy an upper here:http://www.operationparts.com/knights-armament-upper-receiver-kit-sr-15-lpr-mod-2-18-barrel-urx-4-m-lok/

I have to confess I am a KAC fanboi, and really don't care. I've had amazing CS from KAC, the fine folks at Larue were meh.

longshot2000
09-13-17, 16:29
both very good rifles and very good companies which produce very high quality products. Interestingly, both LT and KAC are better known for their 7.62 rifles. I own both KAC and LT. I find the KAC SR15 line to be not all that special, whereas their SR25 is killer. To some extent, that is true of LT, but I think the LaRue OBR in 5.56 has good bragging rights. Why the PredatOBR v. the OBR ? The former being a bit of a compromise gun. Maybe the weight? I think the LaRue barrels have proven accuracy. I have not compared the KAC in 5.56, but my hunch is that LT Stealth barrel is more consistent than the KAC.

bp7178
09-13-17, 19:22
I was less than impressed with my SR15. It didn't feel like the premium rifle it's price point would have suggested. I liked the old URX rail with the built in flip up front sight, which sadly seems to have went away. I absolutely hated needing a proprietary tool to remove the barrel nut. I also wasn't a fan of how it was assembled with loctite. The gun functioned fine, and had accuracy which was very good for a chrome lined barrel. It felt like a basic AR15 with some extra ambi features.

The PredatOBR on the other hand, feel like a much more premium rifle. The finish, the fit of the parts, everything is exceptional. You hit a price point where a consumers expectations are going to be much higher. The SR15 just didn't hit that spot. It isn't a chrome lined barrel, but I'd suspect its something along the lines of melonite or the like. A switchable gas block for use w a suppressor, should that matter to you. Accuracy is exceptional, on par with my Bartlien/Compass Lake barreled 18" SPR. The Larue also comes with a barrel nut wrench which matches their proprietary barrel nut. The way the upper is assembled is very unique and well thought out. I'd like it if they came out with fore ends which were MLok compatible. That's really the only grip that I have.

My favorite KAC product by far has to be their flip up sights. They're the only thing I use. Finger adjustable front and rear, extremely compact and still offers a sight picture which lends its self to carefully placed shots. No unnecessarily fat front sight.

Larue customer service has always been helpful and quick to respond to my questions. The only issue I had is when I ordered my 16" PredatOBR. The 16" is normally sold with the longer handguard. I needed the shorter handguard to remain compatible with my suppressor which overlaps the barrel. I went back and forth and was told it wouldn't work, that the spacing isn't right and the cutouts wouldn't align with the tab to allow adjustment of the gas block. I took to the forums on TOS, and looked at some pics and got some input. Ordered the rifle and ordered the short handguard, which worked perfectly. Sold the take off long handguard. I was a little pissed that someone just couldn't walk to where they are in inventory put two parts in their hands and figure it out. Again, at that price point, there's a different expectation of customer service. I wouldn't expect the same from a Ford dealer as I would a Ferrari dealer.

All that being said, I'd suggest the PredatOBR over the SR15 from a person who has owned both.

Jsp10477
09-18-17, 21:33
If I wanted a factory rifle, of the two you listed, I'd pick the KAC.

The KAC comes with their back up sights, ambi lower, cut rifled barrel, gas system, and E3 bolt. They have the most refined AR platform on the market. My experience with KAC customer service was excellent.

The larue should come with some dillo dust and a 3 round test target shot in a controlled environment... Lol
I honestly don't see anything in the larue that you can't build yourself. There are lots of accurate $200-300 button rifled barrels available from reputable manufacturers. Good bolt carrier groups and billet receivers are plentiful. Better hand guards and stocks are available.

If buying a factory rifle with a heavy barrel or proprietary parts is a requirement, and you don't pick the KAC, I'd look at the Daniel Defence V11 or V7 pro rifles. Excellent product, excellent customer support/service, costs less than the larue or KAC, and in my area easier to find than either Larue or KAC. The last DMR match I attended was won with a V11 pro.

I don't know if you are familiar with Mark's online demeanor, but his keeps me from even considering buying any of his products. He's the only guy I've ever seen make fun of a competitor for spending money on research and product development. I guess tight chambers, blown primers, and stuck shell cases are problems that fix themselves. Makes ya wonder why he uses 3 shot groups for accuracy evaluations. Smh

ClangClang
09-19-17, 11:39
Interesting input folks, much appreciated. It looks like there's a pretty even division between both platforms. Still not sure what I'm going to do :)

firefighter37
09-19-17, 15:23
Never owned a LaRue, and don't see the need to. My LPR has been phenomenal and so have my other SR-15 platform rifles. My Mod 1 LPR with Krieger barrel shoots lights out with Black Hills 77 grn TMKs. Given the upgrades the SR-15 offers, I don't see a reason to not go with it, other than cost.

mgrs
10-09-17, 11:16
Interesting input folks, much appreciated. It looks like there's a pretty even division between both platforms. Still not sure what I'm going to do :)

Would also urge you consider overall weight and balance. I have not researched the weight on either, but would guess that the MOD2 LPR will balance further back while the PredatOBR with heavier handguard and barrel will balance and handle like a heavier rifle even if weights are close.

I do have both a MOD 2 SR15 and a LaRue Predatar. They do not compete as closely as the LPR vs tOBR, but I think offer an instructive comparison. As mentioned above, LaRue delivers excellent attention to detail and finish quality. Everything is billet and the receivers are closely matched with no wobble, the annodizing is perfect, and everything is well machined, down to the chrome BCG that appears to have a had a lot of finish polishing work.

The SR15 is built from more standard forgings, but is still well-built. Besides the E3 and ambi stuff, the draw to the SR is how well it handles. Balance is almost perfect and the rifle feels 'alive' as factory configured. It is hard to describe or quantify until you use one. If they LPR handles similarly, at all, I think it'd be a great multigun rifle.

The predatobr will also have the PST while the LPR will be fixed. I don't think the current or Mod 1 SR series needs adjustable gas for suppressed use as they are already gassed pretty soft.

I think the predatobr might be better applied as a more stationary heavy rifle for longer range work while the LPR would cross over better. A closer comparison in weight and balance might be LPR vs. Predatar.

PNorris
10-23-17, 10:49
I am an amateur shooter and rarely have time to shoot. With that being said I have the Mod 1 LPR. I took it out yesterday and with the exception of one flier(Completely my fault) I put 19 rounds into about a 1 1/4 inch group. 77 Grain CBC. This rifle is a laser. I was absolutely giddy.

PNorris
10-23-17, 10:54

dlraymond30
10-25-17, 08:16
In my limited experience with larue I'm going to have to say HOLY CRAP THAT THING WAS AMAZING! I have been trying to figure out if I want the larue stealth or the let mpr. Haven't shot the let or kac sooo... anyone here in Phoenix with any of these rifles wanna help out a poor gun guy figure out his next love affair?

Mr. Goodtimes
10-25-17, 08:29
In my limited experience with larue I'm going to have to say HOLY CRAP THAT THING WAS AMAZING! I have been trying to figure out if I want the larue stealth or the let mpr. Haven't shot the let or kac sooo... anyone here in Phoenix with any of these rifles wanna help out a poor gun guy figure out his next love affair?

I would hope you’re not having a love affair with a rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Goodtimes
10-25-17, 09:02
OP, I would buy a KAC. KAC is the undisputed master race of the DI AR-15 world. It’s everything a quality, functional rifle should be and nothing it shouldn’t.

snipe10
10-29-17, 16:05
Agree with Mr. Goodtimes, and have had both

ClangClang
10-29-17, 16:16
Thanks for the advice everyone. In the end I decided to go KAC. I was shopping around and wound up buying both a Mod 1 and Mod 2 upper. Now to do some testing and decide whether I want to keep the heavier (but theoretically more accurate) Mod 1 or stick with lightweight and keep the Mod 2 if it is accurate enough for my needs.

Spin Drift
10-29-17, 21:03
OP, I would buy a KAC. KAC is the undisputed master race of the DI AR-15 world. It’s everything a quality, functional rifle should be and nothing it shouldn’t.

I'm making this my sig...

Skyyr
10-30-17, 21:16
Thanks for the advice everyone. In the end I decided to go KAC. I was shopping around and wound up buying both a Mod 1 and Mod 2 upper. Now to do some testing and decide whether I want to keep the heavier (but theoretically more accurate) Mod 1 or stick with lightweight and keep the Mod 2 if it is accurate enough for my needs.

Chiming in late, but you made the right choice. The LPR is currently my favorite precision 5.56 rifle. If I had to grab one rifle in a SHTF scenario, it's the LPR, no question about it.

Whatever accuracy might be lost with the change from the Mod 1 to Mod 2 barrel profiles, it's offset by the change in handling of the rifle. The URX assembly is a LOT more solid than the Mod 1 rail system. Also, the Mod 2 barrels are single point cut barrels supplied by Kreiger (although KAC makes no guarantee as to what barrels ordered rifles may be supplied with), which - theoretically - is superior to rifling in most of the barrels the Mod 1's were supplied with. At the end of the day, though, it's all academic and likely a wash between the two.

I heard on good authority there's only 100 or so of the Mod 2 LPRs that have sold since it was introduced, so there's also a rarity factor in owning one.

mgrs
10-31-17, 16:30

Happy shooting...like Skyyr I think the MOD 2 will be the best for your use. The MOD 1 in weight and handling is a more direct comparison to the tOBR.

I initially did not like the MOD 2 compared to the MOD 1 for cosmetic reasons, but that quickly went away the first time I handled one and I think pretty much all the changes are a step forward.

Colnago
10-31-17, 22:53
another vote for a KAC LPR mod 2 -- love mine and hope you have the same success with yours that I have with mine. it loves 77gr rounds

ClangClang
11-01-17, 23:06
Chiming in late, but you made the right choice. ...
I heard on good authority there's only 100 or so of the Mod 2 LPRs that have sold since it was introduced, so there's also a rarity factor in owning one.

Ha, very interesting. While guns have historically been good investments, these days everything AR15-related is in the toilet. It's nice to know that I might actually be able to break even if I ever decide to sell my LPR.

ClangClang
11-01-17, 23:08
another vote for a KAC LPR mod 2 -- love mine and hope you have the same success with yours that I have with mine. it loves 77gr rounds

I had heard the same. Wound up finding a really good deal on the CBC/Magtech clone Mk262 77gr SMK so I bought a case of it. Hoping to get out and test it this weekend if the weather holds up. Will report back!

Spin Drift
11-15-17, 10:04
Ha, very interesting. While guns have historically been good investments, these days everything AR15-related is in the toilet. It's nice to know that I might actually be able to break even if I ever decide to sell my LPR.

You may want to hold off... I know, asking and getting are two diff. things.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/717041413

Spin Drift
11-15-17, 10:09
"I heard on good authority there's only 100 or so of the Mod 2 LPRs that have sold since it was introduced, so there's also a rarity factor in owning one."

Good to know.

Love my M-Lok.

Still keeping the Mod 1.

TehLlama
11-15-17, 23:12
As one of the oddballs who early pre-ordered the PredatOBR 7.62 - with the architecture it came to running, the only reason I'd have continued to choose that over a KAC factory option at a remotely comparable price point would have been the takedown capability.

In terms of what I would build as a full custom setup, the Mod2 LPR is a factory version of what I'd have built - and I have something that is practically quite close to it, but missing out on the various E3 features, so I'd agree that you made the right choice, and would steer anybody else to do the same.

CMC/Magtech, or the M4C Arizona crew's really dialed 77grSMK-Wolf Primed-IMR load would be the default grazing for sure... although my SR-15's are extremely impressive with the relatively inexpensive 75gr PPU HPBT as 'cheap' practice stuff.

ClangClang
11-16-17, 02:00
"I heard on good authority there's only 100 or so of the Mod 2 LPRs that have sold since it was introduced, so there's also a rarity factor in owning one."

Good to know.

Love my M-Lok.

Still keeping the Mod 1.

I wound up selling my Mod 1 LPR but I put the proceeds towards a Mod 1 CQB 11.5 upper I found instead. I can't imagine that guy is going to get $2900 for his new Mod 1. My upper was close to mint and I (unfortunately) had to list it over on that other site (still haven't hit 50 posts here). But I had it up for a very reasonable price and it got virtually no interest at all.

mgrs
11-25-17, 15:36
I wound up selling my Mod 1 LPR but I put the proceeds towards a Mod 1 CQB 11.5 upper I found instead. I can't imagine that guy is going to get $2900 for his new Mod 1. My upper was close to mint and I (unfortunately) had to list it over on that other site (still haven't hit 50 posts here). But I had it up for a very reasonable price and it got virtually no interest at all.

I think you made the right choice for your use and you'll like the CQB. Agreed on it being a buyer's market with AR variant components right now.

ClangClang
02-02-18, 13:05
Just as a final followup, the Mod 2 LPR has been serving me wonderfully. My range only goes out to 250 yards, but at least out to there, I can hold 1 MOA easily with the Magtech 77gr load all day. When I really do my part and build a good shooting position, my best 5 shot group has been about 2.1" which translates to about .88 MOA, which I am quite happy with.

I competed in the Mammoth Sniper Challenge last month down in GA and the LPR ran great. My teammate and I were one of only 19 teams that finished in the main "Tough Man" division out of about 45 teams who started. The match was the first time I had ever shot past 300 yards and I was quite pleased to take down targets out past 500 yards including a couple 4" poppers. It was cold, raining, and outrageously muddy.

https://i.imgur.com/34qrfgjh.jpg

Not me, but two guys in my squad. We were all this covered in mud.
https://i.imgur.com/TbjPUvEl.jpg?1

Littlehendrick
03-17-18, 21:22
Clang,

That’s me on the left! You did great, and I was jealous of how light your LPR was compared to my AI.

I’m still finding mud in the oddest of places in my gear.

hk_shootr
05-14-18, 06:42
I recently chased this rabbit......I traveled down the Knights hole

Mr. Goodtimes
05-14-18, 12:18
I recently chased this rabbit......I traveled down the Knights hole

The KAC hole.

hk_shootr
05-15-18, 08:09
Yes,......either way, I’m happy with a LPR

https://i.imgur.com/f4GnYsU.jpg

mgrs
05-16-18, 18:34
Nice setup. What made you decided on it?

Yes,......either way, I’m happy with a LPR

https://i.imgur.com/f4GnYsU.jpg

hk_shootr
05-21-18, 07:38
The Mod 2 was chosen due to pride experience with KAC. Reviews were great and the Krieger barrel was also one of the considered points. The muzzle device may change down the road, the scope is the power range, 1-6, for shooting out to 500m. If I get a chance to shoot farther a 3.5-10 scope would get the nod.

05-21-18, 13:13
This phuckin' thread is why I have an LPR on way to LGS.

S&B 1-4 and 1-8 will be tried on. 1-8 is for an APC but may have to pick up another.

Thanks for costing me a-holes.:cool:

mkmckinley
05-21-18, 21:15
How do you like the closed tine warcomp? Thinking about getting one myself.

hk_shootr
05-22-18, 07:36
How do you like the closed tine warcomp? Thinking about getting one myself.

It’s a compromise, a three or four prong would be a better flash hider.
I went with it because it’s a device that works well for me and I can use a friends Surefire can when I shoot at his place.
It keeps the muzzle relatively flat. Some have stated it exerts a bit too much downward pressure, causing the muscle to dip below POA. I haven’t gotten that.

mgrs
05-22-18, 19:19
It’s a compromise, a three or four prong would be a better flash hider.
I went with it because it’s a device that works well for me and I can use a friends Surefire can when I shoot at his place.
It keeps the muzzle relatively flat. Some have stated it exerts a bit too much downward pressure, causing the muscle to dip below POA. I haven’t gotten that.

Same experience with the open tine on a 14.5" mod 2. It does not do much to mitigate recoil, but keeps the muzzle flat.