PDA

View Full Version : I can't seem to just buy a gun!

kwelz
08-24-17, 21:00
I have noticed this more and more and I have to wonder if I am the only one with this "problem"

I seriously can't just buy a gun. It really hit me today when I went into my LGS today to pick up a Glock slide I had Cerakoted.

They had a G19 MOS on sale. Since I have been wanting one I figured what the hell, I already have a Trijicon RM01 so why not.

But hey, the stock Glock trigger sucks... So gotta replace that. All my other Glocks have Vickers Mag releases and Slide stops.. So need those too. Spring kit to go along with the trigger... Suppressor height Night sites to go along with the Red dot....

I seem to do this with just about every gun I get. Every one has to be in the exact right configuration or it ends up sitting in the safe or getting sold off. :confused:

What about you guys? Am I just to OCD here? Do I need to chill the hell out?

TXBK
08-24-17, 21:24
Whatever makes you happy.

SteyrAUG
08-24-17, 21:31
Nothing wrong with getting it exactly how you want it, especially anything that will be in a defensive weapon role. But I'm kind of the opposite. 90% of my guns are stock out of the box.

I shot Lugers and 1911s when I was 10 years old so the notion of custom size backstraps is almost alien to me. In high school I shot HK91s, AR15s and AKs including ARs with carry handle mounted optics. I didn't notice the HK or AK triggers being particularly bad, I just learned how to work with them the same as I did with DA/SA SIG handguns and revolvers.

I knew the 1911 and the AR15 had easier triggers to work with but I could shoot about as well with SIG handguns and HK rifles. My AR carbine had two stock positions, open and closed. With the exception of people wearing body armor or kids, the idea that anyone needs a 4 or 6 position stock or a custom trigger in order to shoot 1 MOA is again something I can't completely relate to.

It took me a long time to adopt RDS for carbines, it's going to be awhile before I make the same transition to handguns. Effectively carrying and holstering a handgun with an RDS is my major concern.

But honestly, it's your money, customize as you see fit. Doesn't matter if everyone else is doing it or nobody else is doing it. If it works for you, it works.

CDR_Glock
08-24-17, 21:40
Nothing wrong with what you're doing. I have to get an extended slide release, and I always get a Ghost Triggers Connector. Apart from that, I get Tritium sights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

yellowfin
08-24-17, 21:55
Nothing wrong with it at all, as it's just like picking out the shirt and ties you want to wear with a new suit you buy. I'm sorta halfway with SteyrAUG on this one--I'll go as far as to say SOME guns are intended to run as-is and it might take away something from the experience to mod them beyond stuff for simple durability and reliability, examples being M1 Garand, M1 carbine, FAL, and other classics. My carry guns are 100% stock as well, to me they're workhorses and not match guns.

My AR's on the other hand do get a couple things I want before a round gets fired: suppressor mount, ALG or Geissele trigger, and battery assist lever or Geissele maritime bolt catch, no matter what it is. A tool that is to work with should be standardized to your way of using it the same way a baseball glove breaks in and conforms to your hand.

MegademiC
08-24-17, 21:58
I understand. I went full m&p and am now rebuilding the "same gun" from a g19.
I keep realizing "one more" thing I forgot about.

bighawk
08-24-17, 22:09
I'm the same way.. I only have 2 guns that could quickly be returned to stock (minus the sights on one) and one gun that is actually in its stock configuration.

Firefly
08-25-17, 01:11
Kwelz, I mean this respectfully and with due dignity but....

Have you ever just went out and simply shot your guns?

Like no add ons, no gimmicks, no accessories. Just you, some mags, some ammo, and targets. Blaze away.

I have a Glock Gen 1 I got when I was like 20. I shot it heavily for years when ammo was crazy cheap. PPC matches, IPSC, tin cans, range days, etc.

And it was well used before I got it.

The only reason I retired it was sentimental reasons and I didnt want to wear it out. Then I got a G34.

Bang bang bang

I just tried to the smallest groups at progressively farther distances.

If I reach a sticking point I just bang away until I dont miss.

So.....just my take on it but I wouldnt be doing all that. But I'm just a guy on the internet. You gotta do you.

Vegas
08-25-17, 01:31
I'm kinda the opposite; I'll buy another gun before I get all the accessories I need for another. Then said gun sits, doesn't get used and I sell it to buy something else. Makes no sense really.

kwelz
08-25-17, 01:47

Like no add ons, no gimmicks, no accessories. Just you, some mags, some ammo, and targets. Blaze away.

I have a Glock Gen 1 I got when I was like 20. I shot it heavily for years when ammo was crazy cheap. PPC matches, IPSC, tin cans, range days, etc.

And it was well used before I got it.

The only reason I retired it was sentimental reasons and I didnt want to wear it out. Then I got a G34.

Bang bang bang

I just tried to the smallest groups at progressively farther distances.

If I reach a sticking point I just bang away until I dont miss.

So.....just my take on it but I wouldnt be doing all that. But I'm just a guy on the internet. You gotta do you.

In this day and age it is a perfectly valid question. I see people all the time in the shop I frequent that will spend thousands on a new gun just for it to sit in the safe. And that I just don't understand.
I do a good bit of shooting. At least once a week as long as time allows for it. And the changes I tend to make to my guns are the ones I have learned that I prefer. I can and have shot guns stock when I bought them. But now, knowing what I prefer I find myself going strait to that. Can I shoot stock Glock well? Yes. Do I want to? Nope.

Moose-Knuckle
08-25-17, 05:13
I have noticed this more and more and I have to wonder if I am the only one with this "problem"

Nope, not a problem.

I'm worse, I'll buy parts/mags for guns I don't even own YET, when I find ridiculously good deals. Just tonight I swapped out four pistol grips on some of my AKs for US Palm AK battle grips. Since the company closed their doors those grips are going for insane prices on AK EEs all over the internet. And that's for used grips, I had four brand new in the package I bought literally several years ago for a good price. Was almost tempted to see what I could get for them.

Firefly
08-25-17, 05:54
In this day and age it is a perfectly valid question. I see people all the time in the shop I frequent that will spend thousands on a new gun just for it to sit in the safe. And that I just don't understand.
I do a good bit of shooting. At least once a week as long as time allows for it. And the changes I tend to make to my guns are the ones I have learned that I prefer. I can and have shot guns stock when I bought them. But now, knowing what I prefer I find myself going strait to that. Can I shoot stock Glock well? Yes. Do I want to? Nope.

Maybe I misunderstood.

So you just like customizing your guns? You aren't merely unhappy with guns in general?

I have not felt that way and can't really relate but if you want it peculiar to you then have at it.

Free country and you only live once

Dienekes
08-25-17, 10:01
I'll settle for RELIABLITY and "shootability". A decent, if not great trigger suffices, and sights I can see. Which means no more iron sights for rifle... stock guns always seem to outshoot me anyway.

Guess I'm from the less is more school. The guns that I like best show dings and wear, and a couple look like crap. It's a semiauto world but a nice wheelgun puts a smile on my face.

These days my gun money mostly goes for .22 ammo and components. More bang for the buck.

AKDoug
08-25-17, 10:58
I have the opposite problem... I don't really buy guns anymore, or accessories. It takes a while to wear out a G19 and an AR-15. I shoot my Glocks stock except for a good set of sights. I tend to roll them over at 15K rounds, so I've got another couple years in my current G19. By then the Gen 5 will be vetted. As for AR's, I shoot them enough to remain proficient. At my current rate, it will be a long time before any of them are worn out. Ammo is where it's at for my spending.

soulezoo
08-25-17, 11:08
I guess on this subject I am bi. Lol.

My 1911's and glocks are modified. My P-226 is not nor will it ever be. Hunting rifles, un-modified. FAL, un-modified. Mini-14, un-modified, but probably needs to be. AR's are all customized.

OP, do what you want. There's no bad choice here either way as long as it's a quality piece to start with IMO. As long as you don't ruin it in the process that is.

ralph
08-25-17, 11:14
I can see both sides here, as I've done both. In the last few years I've been running my pistols pretty much stock..except for sights, the sights that come with most pistols are, for the most part, shit. If one wants to put different triggers, slide stops mag releases,etc, in their pistol, go for it. It's your money, your pistol and you are the one who's going to be using it, might as well get it the way YOU want it.

Averageman
08-25-17, 12:48
Have at it.
The nicest thing about AR's and Glocks is that customizing them to your exact specifications is half the fun.
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.

MistWolf
08-25-17, 17:12
OCD is what amateurs have. Professionals know it's CDO

Arik
08-25-17, 20:35
Thank God no! If it doesn't have what I like/want and not in my price range I have ZERO interest in it. Even if a part cost a few dollars and 10 min of work.... hearing that I immediately lose interest. To take it one step further I don't even like to clean guns. If I was rich I'd just shoot them and trade in for a clean one. I don't want to deal with parts changing, gun smithing, ordering, trying, spending money. Literally all I want to do is pull the trigger

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

AKDoug
08-25-17, 22:57
Thank God no! If it doesn't have what I like/want and not in my price range I have ZERO interest in it. Even if a part cost a few dollars and 10 min of work.... hearing that I immediately lose interest. To take it one step further I don't even like to clean guns. If I was rich I'd just shoot them and trade in for a clean one. I don't want to deal with parts changing, gun smithing, ordering, trying, spending money. Literally all I want to do is pull the trigger

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm right there with you. My idea of cleaning is hosing off with a can of brake clean and a couple dabs of oil. Thankfully, that's about all my Glocks seem to need. My guns are all a test bed for how far they can go and still function reliably.

kwelz
08-26-17, 05:09
I'm right there with you. My idea of cleaning is hosing off with a can of brake clean and a couple dabs of oil. Thankfully, that's about all my Glocks seem to need. My guns are all a test bed for how far they can go and still function reliably.

I am actually the same way. I have friends that clean their guns down to the smallest component anytime they are shot. Some say they even enjoy doing it.

For me I go in my back yard and spray it down with gun scrubber or something similar then oil it back up.

I don't mind doing the work up front. But I want the gun set up a certain way, and if it isn't to that point I have a hard time dealing with it. Sometimes it is even the simple things.

For instance; I just took the 51T Muzzle brake off my X95 to put on my new pistol build. I replaced it with an A2 flash hider for now. And it is driving me nuts not having a QD mount for my can on there.

Todd00000
08-26-17, 09:48
I'm like this with cars and motorcycles, my sickness is so deep I bought a custom supercharger kit for a 1985 Ferrari 308; but most of my guns are stock, some Geissele AR triggers is about as wild as I've gotten with my guns.

NYH1
08-26-17, 12:23
I have the opposite problem... I don't really buy guns anymore, or accessories. It takes a while to wear out a G19 and an AR-15. I shoot my Glocks stock except for a good set of sights. I tend to roll them over at 15K rounds, so I've got another couple years in my current G19. By then the Gen 5 will be vetted. As for AR's, I shoot them enough to remain proficient. At my current rate, it will be a long time before any of them are worn out. Ammo is where it's at for my spending.
I'm kind of like you. The only thing I do to my Glock's is add Trijicon Knight Sights and I'm good to go. I did however just order a Vickers mag release and slide stop to try. Not here yet.

I do mess around with my AR's a little. My HD AR/M4 is a pretty basic Colt carbine w/ Aimpoint PRO, Surefire light, Vickers Sling, Magpul XTM hand stop, ambi safety, LaRue BUIS that's about it. My others are from mild to wild.

My Remington 700's are from basic hunting rifles to heavy barreled high powered scoped tacted out long range shooters.

Different strokes for different folks, nothing wrong with that.

NYH1.

Spiffums
08-27-17, 12:45

I seriously can't just buy a gun. It really hit me today when I went into my LGS today to pick up a Glock slide I had Cerakoted.

They had a G19 MOS on sale. Since I have been wanting one I figured what the hell, I already have a Trijicon RM01 so why not.

But hey, the stock Glock trigger sucks... So gotta replace that. All my other Glocks have Vickers Mag releases and Slide stops.. So need those too. Spring kit to go along with the trigger... Suppressor height Night sites to go along with the Red dot....

I seem to do this with just about every gun I get. Every one has to be in the exact right configuration or it ends up sitting in the safe or getting sold off. :confused:

What about you guys? Am I just to OCD here? Do I need to chill the hell out?

Buying the gun is the cheapest part of the whole deal. Add in mags and sights and carry gear and then aftermarket parts that you want adds up quick!

Lefty223
08-27-17, 13:11

Ditto ... buy LESS guns ... but shoot MORE. There's an old saying "Watch out for the man w/ 1 gun!"

MegademiC
08-27-17, 16:37
Ditto ... buy LESS guns ... but shoot MORE. There's an old saying "Watch out for the man w/ 1 gun!"

I have noticed, the more I shoot, the less I want to buy upgrades, and just want more ammo.
I am putting an rds on my glock though. I'm too curious about it!!