PDA

View Full Version : Terminator 2: 3D (and why it is still relevant)

Firefly
08-25-17, 00:54
So I paid theatre money to see something I already saw in theatres 26 years ago, own on VHS, DVD, and BD, and that which comes on TV once every couple of months

And it was worth it.

Not because of the 3D (although it did add new dimension to a lot of the action scenes), but because it holds up.

A nigh 30 yo film is more entertaining and relevant than 99% of the CGI tripe out there.

One of the very first films to use CGI actually makes modern movies look fake and boring.

Oh look....more world destruction and superhuman feats...yawn.

The film was refinished and a lot more details stuck out. There were guns but they looked more real even though guns weren't the focus.

It was one of the last cyberpunk films of its era. Heady concepts of fate, corporatism, playing God, humanity, and overreliance on tech.

And while fully ensconced in the 90s it still doesnt feel like a dated period piece.

The future war felt more immersive and the nuke scene in 3D put The Day After to shame.

Same with the Jurassic Park 3D release years back.

It wasn't nostalgia. It's just we've become culturally bereft where everything needs to hit you all at once with CG, silly stunts, gun kata, and an almost nerfed concept of humanity.

Everything wants to be too edgy or too gimmicky. Not even like a music video....more like some appeal to fat kids mainlining mountain dew and scarfing doritos while playing some pointless shoot em up game.

And even then in a weird haphazard way. Like.....even a B movie 30 years back would rely on at least one cool shootout, female nudity, and a rock song.

Now it is this weird, bizarre self doubting and self loathing appeal to snarky low note jokes, cartoon CG, pointless jump scares, and "twist endings" and the woefully annoying after credit 'stingers' forcing you to read off a list of names in the dark to see some 5 minute epilogue that could have been seen before the credits.

This dark age of modern art of boring and dull display of a bunch of focus groups trying to make up money in Europe or Red China.

No guts, no soul, and no message.

And what is the message of T2?

It is the R rated version of Frosty the Snowman.

A herald to adventure, a preternatural force of good, an harbinger of a moral, but dont you pout because he'll be back again some day.

And everyone was better for it. No need to be a crazy survivalist ir a juvenile delinquent anymore because Frosty brought joy to the town.

No cruel twist ending. A bittersweet one perhaps.

But it leaves you on a high note.

Like Robocop. He guns down the asshole who contributed to his demise and got his humanity back. It wasnt about flashy stunts or cheesy sci fi.

He was a cop who saw it through and got back his agency of self after having everything taken from him.

No.....it's not nostalgia. Movies just suck now.

So......I'd almost rather they just rerelease movies people actually like instead of a pointless remake, a go nowhere "reboot", or some inane idea that just sucks.

docsherm
08-25-17, 08:00
I totally agree with you. But it does help that it was a GREAT movie to begin with. Those hold up after years. Kind of like the Longest Day (1962). It is still a GREAT movie after all of these years. I do not think that there was a movie made in the last 10 years that could fit into that category.

JoshNC
08-25-17, 08:06
T2 was fantastic. Not surprising that the remastered 3D version is still awesome.

donlapalma
08-25-17, 08:34
T2 is an all time great sci-fi action film and this thread reminds me that I must rewatch it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk