PDA

View Full Version : 2017 College Football season is here

Pages : [1] 2 3

Grand58742
08-25-17, 06:45
Can't wait to see how this year unfolds. Including my beloved Vols beating the Gators again, though at the Swamp and sending UGA on the walk of shame back to Athens.

The AP Top 25 (Preseason)

1 Alabama
2 Ohio State
3 Florida State
4 USC
5 Clemson
6 Penn State
7 Oklahoma
8 Washington
9 Wisconsin
10 Oklahoma St.
11 Michigan
12 Auburn
13 LSU
14 Stanford
15 Georgia
16 Louisville
17 Florida
18 Miami (FL)
19 South Florida
20 Kansas St.
21 Virginia Tech
22 West Virginia
23 Texas
24 Washington St.
25 Tennessee

Some serious WTF moments in this year's preseason top 25. But no different than any other year, I suppose.

Who's your team and how do they do?

Dienekes
08-25-17, 09:42
Be still, my beating heart.

HCrum87hc
08-25-17, 13:12
My team, and alma mater (class of 2009) are the reigning champs, the Clemson Tigers. Our defense should be one of, if not the best in the country this year, particularly the front 7. The offense has a lot of talent, but we lost the best player in school history last year in Deshaun Watson. We also lost a lot of other leadership and production from the offense, so hopefully they'll catch on fast this year as we host Auburn in week 2.

firefighter37
08-25-17, 13:16
Can't wait to see how this year unfolds. Including my beloved Vols beating the Gators again, though at the Swamp and sending UGA on the walk of shame back to Athens.

The AP Top 25 (Preseason)

1 Alabama
2 Ohio State
3 Florida State
4 USC
5 Clemson
6 Penn State
7 Oklahoma
8 Washington
9 Wisconsin
10 Oklahoma St.
11 Michigan
12 Auburn
13 LSU
14 Stanford
15 Georgia
16 Louisville
17 Florida
18 Miami (FL)
19 South Florida
20 Kansas St.
21 Virginia Tech
22 West Virginia
23 Texas
24 Washington St.
25 Tennessee

Some serious WTF moments in this year's preseason top 25. But no different than any other year, I suppose.

Who's your team and how do they do?

Good Luck with that.

Go Gators, and we will be pretty good if we can resolve the QB battle.

Campbell
08-25-17, 18:30
Georgia all the way!
I believe Alabama will be the boss this year though

NYH1
08-25-17, 21:13
ROLL TIDE!

Grand58742
08-25-17, 21:37
Good Luck with that.

Go Gators, and we will be pretty good if we can resolve the QB battle.

Supposedly, Del Rio is leading the way, though that's rumor.

If that's the case, I'd look for Franks to transfer unless he got playing time this year.

soulezoo
08-26-17, 11:04
My team (and alma mater), USC, is ranked higher than I think they should be. They have, arguably, the top QB in NCAA, but I don't think the rest of the team is there. They lost a number of star players to the NFL in the last draft. I don't think USC finishes anywhere close to 4. They're overrated.

Bubba FAL
08-26-17, 12:06
Go Blue!

bad aim
08-26-17, 16:49
Let's see how Tom Herman turns Texas around...will definitely be an interesting year.

docsherm
08-26-17, 18:45
Let's see how Tom Herman turns Texas around...will definitely be an interesting year.

Let's hope he is as good as the rest of the resent UT coaches.

Get Your Guns Up! ;)

JC5188
08-27-17, 01:56
OU Baby!!!

I think their pre season rank is a bit weak, but with a new coach, I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_Stormin_
08-27-17, 02:44
My team (and alma mater), USC, is ranked higher than I think they should be. They have, arguably, the top QB in NCAA, but I don't think the rest of the team is there. They lost a number of star players to the NFL in the last draft. I don't think USC finishes anywhere close to 4. They're overrated.
As a UW grad, I'll completely agree with you...

My Huskies look great this year, and while we lost a lot of talent on defense, we have a pretty stacked team for the Pac-12. I think we have a legitimate shot to make it back to the playoff. Whatever happens, I'm happy to see Oregon unranked again.

docsherm
08-27-17, 11:39
OU Baby!!!

I think their pre season rank is a bit weak, but with a new coach, I get it.

I see OU had to not only get TTU quarterbacks but now coaches..... :jester:

Grand58742
08-27-17, 12:53

OU is completely overrated this year IMO. If I had to guess, I'd say OSU has a better than even chance of taking the Big 12 championship. The media is placing a lot of faith in Mayfield leading the Sooners to the championship and maybe beyond. But hell, he can't even outrun an Arkansas Deputy.

Okie State has the most favorable OOC schedule except maybe K State. And has OU, K State and TCU at home; Texas and WVU on the road. Unless "I need a haircut" Gundy completely blows it, this is his year to possibly go to the playoffs.

docsherm
08-27-17, 12:57
OU is completely overrated this year IMO. If I had to guess, I'd say OSU has a better than even chance of taking the Big 12 championship. The media is placing a lot of faith in Mayfield leading the Sooners to the championship and maybe beyond. But hell, he can't even outrun an Arkansas Deputy.

Okie State has the most favorable OOC schedule except maybe K State. And has OU, K State and TCU at home; Texas and WVU on the road. Unless "I need a haircut" Gundy completely blows it, this is his year to possibly go to the playoffs.

But if Tech can have even have a defense then we will crush everyone. Our offense is second to none....... We just need to defense do something.

Grand58742
08-27-17, 13:04
But if Tech can have even have a defense then we will crush everyone. Our offense is second to none....... We just need to defense do something.

Coach Bro is on his last legs. If he doesn't do something extremely impressive this year, he's gone.

JC5188
08-27-17, 14:47

Lol...you know, I'd hoped to sneak that by you... [emoji14]

JC5188
08-27-17, 14:55

Ok State has played OU 111 times since 1904. They've won exactly 18 times. And, you think they're gonna beat OU TWICE in one season?

I have a bridge in lolololollllllll to sell you [emoji13]

Grand58742
08-27-17, 15:26
Ok State has played OU 111 times since 1904. They've won exactly 18 times. And, you think they're gonna beat OU TWICE in one season?

I have a bridge in lolololollllllll to sell you [emoji13]

You assume OU even makes it to the championship game.

Let's put it this way, I wouldn't doubt if they go 8-4 this season, maybe 9-3 would be more likely. But Ohio State will smoke them. Texas is always a toss up. West Virginia looks pretty decent and the other OSU is on the road and they brought back a ton of talent.

The higher OU starts in the preseason polls, the lower they tend to finish.

docsherm
08-27-17, 15:28
I don't know what you people are talking about.... OU will loose to Tech. No way that Cliff will loose to his BACK-UP. ;)

JC5188
08-27-17, 17:01
You assume OU even makes it to the championship game.

Let's put it this way, I wouldn't doubt if they go 8-4 this season, maybe 9-3 would be more likely. But Ohio State will smoke them. Texas is always a toss up. West Virginia looks pretty decent and the other OSU is on the road and they brought back a ton of talent.

The higher OU starts in the preseason polls, the lower they tend to finish.

Meh...maybe. OU has more big 12 champs than the other teams combined...they'll be in the game.

(I'm an O State fan second, btw...)

And yes, ****ing Texas is always a wildcard. It will all come down to the Defense. Keep in mind, last year Westbrook was injured the first part of the season. Not making excuses for the Ohio state game...I think they'll play better than expected ;)

I just wish we could play the SEC OOC [emoji48]

Grand58742
08-27-17, 19:55
I just wish we could play the SEC OOC [emoji48]

2020, UT comes back to that...thing you call a stadium. And you return the visit in 2024.

The 2014 game sucked because Tennessee was still getting over the Dooley years, but that 2015 game? That was a barn burner.

JC5188
08-28-17, 00:02
2020, UT comes back to that...thing you call a stadium. And you return the visit in 2024.

The 2014 game sucked because Tennessee was still getting over the Dooley years, but that 2015 game? That was a barn burner.

Hey now...they've upgraded Memorial Stadium considerably since then. And, that's hallowed ground...home of the 47 in a row (albeit not just home games).

You can always stroll through the Heisman Garden while there. [emoji41]

ETA...and yeah, 4th quarter of that last game at y'alls place set in motion the "Legend of Baker Mayfield". And in a big time atmosphere. I have my issues with so called "SEC dominance", but the big schools know how to put on a damned football spectacle. [emoji869]

JC5188
08-28-17, 00:15
I don't know what you people are talking about.... OU will loose to Tech. No way that Cliff will loose to his BACK-UP. ;)

You mean, no way he'll lose to him AGAIN!!!

Lol

Love this time of year.!!!!

Seriously tho, was MaHomes that much more impressive? Everything I've seen, Mayfields been a gamer at every level. I don't understand why he's not throwing 6k yards a year for tech??

Grand58742
08-28-17, 07:03
Hey now...they've upgraded Memorial Stadium considerably since then. And, that's hallowed ground...home of the 47 in a row (albeit not just home games).

You can always stroll through the Heisman Garden while there.

That venue looks like someone barfed up four different stadiums and tried to piece them together. I've never seen a stadium where East, North, South and West sides are all completely different. They should have torn it down and started over like they did with Kyle Field.

I've never seen a stadium "upgraded" that made it worse.

chuckman
08-28-17, 07:32
My team, and alma mater (class of 2009) are the reigning champs, the Clemson Tigers. Our defense should be one of, if not the best in the country this year, particularly the front 7. The offense has a lot of talent, but we lost the best player in school history last year in Deshaun Watson. We also lost a lot of other leadership and production from the offense, so hopefully they'll catch on fast this year as we host Auburn in week 2.

NC State is a dark horse; some "experts" are calling for them the winning the ACC. I don't see it. Fla State is going to be scary good. I believe Clemson had their moment in the sun. A tier 1 bowl, but no playoffs.

Not that I have room to talk...both of my alma maters (undergrad, grad) will be lucky to get 6 wins this year.

HCrum87hc
08-28-17, 14:53
NC State is a dark horse; some "experts" are calling for them the winning the ACC. I don't see it. Fla State is going to be scary good. I believe Clemson had their moment in the sun. A tier 1 bowl, but no playoffs.

Not that I have room to talk...both of my alma maters (undergrad, grad) will be lucky to get 6 wins this year.

I pick FSU to win the ACC this year. I don't think Clemson will be as good as we were last year, and I figure we'll finish in the top 10. However, I don't think it was just a moment in the sun. Our recruiting has been very good the past few years, and with Trevor Lawrence coming in next year, it wouldn't surprise me to see him lead them to another championship. Dabo's done a phenomenal job, and I don't see us going anywhere any time soon.

chuckman
08-28-17, 15:10
I pick FSU to win the ACC this year. I don't think Clemson will be as good as we were last year, and I figure we'll finish in the top 10. However, I don't think it was just a moment in the sun. Our recruiting has been very good the past few years, and with Trevor Lawrence coming in next year, it wouldn't surprise me to see him lead them to another championship. Dabo's done a phenomenal job, and I don't see us going anywhere any time soon.

I think top 10 is very reasonable; I think that this year with the strength of some of the other teams, the NC is out of reach. I think Florida State is poised to be atop of the ACC for the next couple years, and you can't count out a lucky ACC team on a roll.

Last year the difference was Watson; without him, Clemson would have been a 8-4/9-3 team. They'll need a special player to replace him, and some special players to surround him. Lawrence might be that guy. Aren't y'all getting Hunter Johnson, too?

I agree, Clemson ain't fading into the sunset; I just think the ACC is cyclical and Fla State is poised for a run for the next couple years.

skywalkrNCSU
08-28-17, 16:35

As a lifelong NC State fan I can tell you the one thing we are guaranteed to be is a letdown

HCrum87hc
08-30-17, 07:03
I think top 10 is very reasonable; I think that this year with the strength of some of the other teams, the NC is out of reach. I think Florida State is poised to be atop of the ACC for the next couple years, and you can't count out a lucky ACC team on a roll.

Last year the difference was Watson; without him, Clemson would have been a 8-4/9-3 team. They'll need a special player to replace him, and some special players to surround him. Lawrence might be that guy. Aren't y'all getting Hunter Johnson, too?

I agree, Clemson ain't fading into the sunset; I just think the ACC is cyclical and Fla State is poised for a run for the next couple years.

We did get Hunter Johnson. He started school in January, so he went through spring and summer camps. He's listed at third string going into the game this weekend, but I suspect we'll see him play a few snaps. Unfortunately for him, everything I've seen and heard suggests Lawrence will be starting next year. He's on tap to break all of Watson's high school records in GA this year, and a lot of people say he's better than Watson was at his level. We'll see if he continues to develop. If so, he should be scary good.

As a lifelong NC State fan I can tell you the one thing we are guaranteed to be is a letdown

You guys gave us a run for our money last year. That was not a stress free afternoon. You should be improved this year, but Doeren somehow seems to find ways to lose.

chuckman
08-30-17, 07:52

#truth

I am curious to see how your offense is. If it can match the defense, y'all got a shot at 10 wins. Your defense will be very, very good.

chuckman
08-31-17, 13:55
Playoff predictions are in. Most are predictable; some are out there. A couple have both Fla State AND Clemson in the playoffs (I'd love to see that!); a few have no ACC in the playoffs (I don't see that).

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20507614/which-teams-make-college-football-playoff

WickedWillis
08-31-17, 16:21

Hook em Horns!

JC5188
08-31-17, 19:21

Hook em Horns!

I'm an OU fan, but damn the B12 needs for Texas to get their collective shit together...

WickedWillis
09-01-17, 10:31
I'm an OU fan, but damn the B12 needs for Texas to get their collective shit together...

I really do think that Strong got a bad rap, and no one financially invested in the University wanted him there in the first place. Herman should be good,I am hoping he's good.

I just can't wait until Manziel Jr.(Mayfield) leaves OU for the draft lol

JC5188
09-01-17, 13:55
I really do think that Strong got a bad rap, and no one financially invested in the University wanted him there in the first place. Herman should be good,I am hoping he's good.

I just can't wait until Manziel Jr.(Mayfield) leaves OU for the draft lol

Oh come on now, he's not as bad as Manziel. Lol.

Kid plays with a chip...I kinda like that. Total opposite of the recent OU QB's demeanors. And frankly, for a team that had lost its swagger, that chip was BADLY needed.

And yeah, for whatever reason, it just seemed like the 'Horns faithful never really accepted Charlie. I too feel he got a bad rap. I think the Kansas loss is what did him in tho.

WickedWillis
09-01-17, 14:17
Oh come on now, he's not as bad as Manziel. Lol.

Kid plays with a chip...I kinda like that. Total opposite of the recent OU QB's demeanors. And frankly, for a team that had lost its swagger, that chip was BADLY needed.

And yeah, for whatever reason, it just seemed like the 'Horns faithful never really accepted Charlie. I too feel he got a bad rap. I think the Kansas loss is what did him in tho.

He just comes off douchy to me, but I have a hatred for little guys it seems lol Manziel, Edelman, etc. But you are right he's not a POS like Maziel.

Yeah I felt like Strong had a very short leash with the Austin faithful, more so than I have seen with other new hires. I felt like even if he was good, they were going to find someone else.

JC5188
09-01-17, 19:43
He just comes off douchy to me, but I have a hatred for little guys it seems lol Manziel, Edelman, etc. But you are right he's not a POS like Maziel.

Yeah I felt like Strong had a very short leash with the Austin faithful, more so than I have seen with other new hires. I felt like even if he was good, they were going to find someone else.

Well, I hope Herman has immediate success (except the RRR, lol). The two truly iconic schools in the B12 MUST be legit for the national media to take it seriously.

And, OU and Texas better watch out for O-State. That offense is legit.

Grand58742
09-02-17, 04:50
And, OU and Texas better watch out for O-State. That offense is legit.

I told you. Big 12 Champions.

_Stormin_
09-02-17, 10:32
Not to change the subject, but DAMN did my Huskies look a little rough around the edges last night.

Defense got things figured out and they managed to limit them to one real TD (everyone who watched the replay on that second one saw the knee hit outside of the end zone). Offense has a lot of rust to shake off. A lot... Thank God for the rest of our non-conference schedule.

JC5188
09-02-17, 16:48
I told you. Big 12 Champions.

Lol...you did in fact. [emoji41]

JC5188
09-02-17, 16:53
Not to change the subject, but DAMN did my Huskies look a little rough around the edges last night.

Defense got things figured out and they managed to limit them to one real TD (everyone who watched the replay on that second one saw the knee hit outside of the end zone). Offense has a lot of rust to shake off. A lot... Thank God for the rest of our non-conference schedule.

Meh...a little rust is to be expected in the first game. It's when they aren't tackling/blocking...getting lots of procedural pens...thats when you need to worry.

And turnovers. F'ing turnovers are the great equalizer.

Bubba FAL
09-02-17, 20:16
Don't know about all that Big 12 noise, but it sure was nice to watch my Wolverines take the Gators apart today!

Grand58742
09-02-17, 22:18
Well, I hope Herman has immediate success (except the RRR, lol). The two truly iconic schools in the B12 MUST be legit for the national media to take it seriously.

Yeah, about that...

I can understand losing a home opener as it happens. But losing to Maryland? It's like getting kicked in the balls by the class nerd who also takes home your head cheerleader girlfriend.

NYH1
09-02-17, 23:07
I hope FSU's Deondre Francois leg/knee isn't hurt to bad. Glad the Tide won, but I hate seeing anyone get hurt.

Bama needs to work on their offense. Defense and special teams looked good with the exception of their FG kicker.

NYH1.

Grand58742
09-03-17, 09:03
I hope FSU's Deondre Francois leg/knee isn't hurt to bad. Glad the Tide won, but I hate seeing anyone get hurt.

Bama needs to work on their offense. Defense and special teams looked good with the exception of their FG kicker.

NYH1.

Along those lines, I hope Jacob Eason of UGA is okay. The kid has some talent and the shove he took out of bounds was completely dirty and uncalled for.

Nick Chubb scares the hell out of me though. Dude is straight legit. I can hope for a successful healthy season for him, however, really wish for a bad game against Tennessee.

Some interesting tidbits and upsets from yesterday:

The aforementioned Texas getting ball kicked by Maryland (lol)
USC barely holding off Western Michigan (not an upset, but the #4 team in the country shouldn't have to score 21 points in the 4th quarter to win)
Pittsburgh having to go to OT against Youngstown State (FCS team) for the win
James Madison U (FCS team) knocked off East Carolina University 34-14
Liberty (another FCS team) beat Baylor (that's what karma does for you, you raping bastards)
And Howard (yet another FCS team) beat UNLV as 45 point underdogs

JC5188
09-03-17, 09:08
Yeah, about that...

I can understand losing a home opener as it happens. But losing to Maryland? It's like getting kicked in the balls by the class nerd who also takes home your head cheerleader girlfriend.

Yeah that was a...ahem...less than stellar debut. I mean, couldn't block, tackle, had lots of penalties. That's basic shit. It appeared as if they spent spring practices trying to install shit, rather than starting over with the fundamentals.

Oh well, OU rolled which is a good sign. They've typically laid eggs in the first game or two...last year Westbrook was injured the first three games. Everybody is healthy now and that offense was clickin', so it's looking like next weekend is shaping up to be a shootout.

Good luck against GT Monday night. [emoji106]

Grand58742
09-03-17, 22:50
Don't know if we have any Texas A&M fans on here, but damn, that's gotta hurt.

VIP3R 237
09-04-17, 01:43
Don't know if we have any Texas A&M fans on here, but damn, that's gotta hurt.

That was an insane comeback.

Grand58742
09-04-17, 09:43
That was an insane comeback.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=136250&d=1504503441

WickedWillis
09-05-17, 10:43
Yeah, about that...

Yes that was really bad on every single level.

chuckman
09-05-17, 11:25
Along those lines, I hope Jacob Eason of UGA is okay. The kid has some talent and the shove he took out of bounds was completely dirty and uncalled for.

Nick Chubb scares the hell out of me though. Dude is straight legit. I can hope for a successful healthy season for him, however, really wish for a bad game against Tennessee.

Some interesting tidbits and upsets from yesterday:

The aforementioned Texas getting ball kicked by Maryland (lol)
USC barely holding off Western Michigan (not an upset, but the #4 team in the country shouldn't have to score 21 points in the 4th quarter to win)
Pittsburgh having to go to OT against Youngstown State (FCS team) for the win
James Madison U (FCS team) knocked off East Carolina University 34-14
Liberty (another FCS team) beat Baylor (that's what karma does for you, you raping bastards)
And Howard (yet another FCS team) beat UNLV as 45 point underdogs

JMU is no joke; they did that with a handful of starters suspended, and they are defending champs. (ECU is one of my alma maters; my other won their opener 60-7)

NYH1
09-05-17, 20:58
The Tennessee-Georgia Tech game was interesting last night. I only watched the last few minutes of the 4th quarter and overtime. I give GT credit for going for the 2pt. conversion and trying to end it. However...sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug.

NYH1.

Grand58742
09-08-17, 07:30
Looks like Irma is causing a bunch of the Saturday games to be postponed or cancelled outright.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/9/5/16256584/florida-college-football-teams-hurricane-irma

BangBang77
09-09-17, 22:38
Boomer Sooner!!!

JC5188
09-10-17, 06:29
Boomer Sooner!!!

Yeah baby!!!

Looks like we finally started a season strong which has been rare of late.

Now, if we can just lose to Texas, the season will be complete. [emoji14]

In all seriousness, OU rarely does less than split with the other big-time program home/home series'. And they usually sweep. So there was that. Was a bit worried about this one tho, not gonna lie [emoji41]

NYH1
09-10-17, 09:45
OU looked good. Mayfield's the real deal.

I watched both of Ohio States games and they just don't look good at all. I know they ended up beating Indiana. However, it's Indiana and it took them forever to get going. Could be a long season if they can't get it figured out.

NYH1.

WickedWillis
09-11-17, 11:03
Ohio State just had zero punch on defense, for a team that was supposed to have one of the best defenses in the Country.

JC5188
09-11-17, 17:32

I watched both of Ohio States games and they just don't look good at all. I know they ended up beating Indiana. However, it's Indiana and it took them forever to get going. Could be a long season if they can't get it figured out.

NYH1.

Ohio State just had zero punch on defense, for a team that was supposed to have one of the best defenses in the Country.

OU had the same issue list year. Key injuries to start, and played like shit. Got straight and ripped 10 in a row...nobody wanted to play them. Just ask Auburn.

Oh. St. will likely do the same.

WickedWillis
09-11-17, 17:38
OU had the same issue list year. Key injuries to start, and played like shit. Got straight and ripped 10 in a row...nobody wanted to play them. Just ask Auburn.

I sure hope not lol

Grand58742
09-11-17, 20:11

NYH1.

Ohio State was overrated to begin with. They have a QB that can scramble, but his throws are erratic.

I don't see them doing any better than 9-3, maybe 8-4 with additional losses to Michigan, Penn State and maybe Iowa.

NYH1
09-11-17, 23:59

How about LSU for all the marbles?

Ohio States gonna have a hard time peeling off 10 wins in a row with the team they have this year. Who knows, Myers might not be the top dog in the Big 10 or 11 or no it's 14 now right....have anxiety quit (Florida/Saban/SEC). Then maybe try the Big 12/Pac 12. Prolly doesn't want anything to do with the ACC right now Clemson/FSU to much competition. Texas....Texas is where he'll end up after he retires next time. You heard it here first.

NYH1.

NYH1
09-12-17, 00:12
Ohio State was overrated to begin with. They have a QB that can scramble, but his throws are erratic.

I don't see them doing any better than 9-3, maybe 8-4 with additional losses to Michigan, Penn State and maybe Iowa.
I think they were overrated too. The QB has to settle down for sure. However, I think it's more of his receivers not doing their part then him not doing his. He just doesn't have the receivers he used to have. That little freeman running back looks like he's going be good.

Their secondary is awful. Indiana exploited them. They have to figure that out.

NYH1.

JC5188
09-12-17, 03:43

I think they were overrated too. The QB has to settle down for sure. However, I think it's more of his receivers not doing their part then him not doing his. He just doesn't have the receivers he used to have. That little freeman running back looks like he's going be good.

Their secondary is awful. Indiana exploited them. They have to figure that out.

NYH1.

Overrated? Yes. On offense, and that secondary. OU was licking their chops after that 1st half with Indiana. All the pundits knew that, even though they put up the facade THE Ohio State "finally got rolling".

What OSU ACTUALLY did was wear out the team that wasn't as deep. That's usually the difference between good teams and the big boys..."it's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmies and Joes". The big boys have MORE of the Jimmies and Joes.

Only thing that pisses me off about OU, is this shit now where someone gets "injured" to slow down the other team. Ruffin and those guys did that shit REGULARLY at ECU and I hate it.

This is Oklahoma g-dammit. If they need breaks that bad, then Monday come out in helmets and shorts, drag out the BIG trash cans, and see who wants to play.

chuckman
09-12-17, 07:47
Only thing that pisses me off about OU, is this shit now where someone gets "injured" to slow down the other team. Ruffin and those guys did that shit REGULARLY at ECU and I hate it.

Yes, they did.

I understand ECU losing Riley; he was destined to stardom and ECU is notorious for paying coaches peanuts. He was never going to stay, even if they were priming him for HC. Firing Ruffin, though, was inexcusable, and the alumni have a big hard-on for getting rid of the AD, especially seeing how last year and this year (so far) has gone.

There were some things I did not like about Ruffin, the fake-an-injury-to-slow-the-play being one, but he was a good coach.

NYH1
09-12-17, 09:32
It's $h!*^y, but it's not just a OU thing.

NYH1.

JC5188
09-12-17, 18:00
Yes, they did.

I understand ECU losing Riley; he was destined to stardom and ECU is notorious for paying coaches peanuts. He was never going to stay, even if they were priming him for HC. Firing Ruffin, though, was inexcusable, and the alumni have a big hard-on for getting rid of the AD, especially seeing how last year and this year (so far) has gone.

There were some things I did not like about Ruffin, the fake-an-injury-to-slow-the-play being one, but he was a good coach.

Oh, no doubt. I watched them go down 18 plays in a row at the conf championship In tulsa a few years back. It was so obviously fake that we were booing them, lol.

Oh well, it legal. But to me , it's kinda like a cheat code in a video game. I hate those too!!

JC5188
09-12-17, 18:02
It's $h!*^y, but it's not just a OU thing.

NYH1.

It's That it's JUST NOW an OU thing, that is my problem. Ruffin brought that cheese from out east...

ETA...we're glad to have Ruff tho. He's already made a huge difference.

Grand58742
09-12-17, 23:33
Overrated? Yes. On offense, and that secondary. OU was licking their chops after that 1st half with Indiana. All the pundits knew that, even though they put up the facade THE Ohio State "finally got rolling".

What they finally did was wear out the team that wasn't as deep. That's usually the difference between good teams and the big boys..."it's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmies and Joes". The big boys have MORE of the Jimmies and Joes.

This is Oklahoma g-dammit. If they need breaks that bad, then Monday come out in helmets and shorts, drag out the BIG trash cans, and see who wants to play.

I wasn't trying to take anything away from the Sooners' victory with those comments. But let's face it, some teams are naturally overrated going into the season because of a name rather than what they can actually do on the field. OSU being one of them this year.

However, Oklahoma is no exception to that rule. Remember a couple of years ago when they were preseason top 5 and ended up finishing 8-5? I honestly didn't think they were as good as the rankings portrayed them to be at the start of the season. But plenty of the "Blue Blood" teams get higher rankings based on history or a coach or a name rather than being objectively rated. Normally, by week four or five it works itself out.

JC5188
09-13-17, 04:35
I wasn't trying to take anything away from the Sooners' victory with those comments. But let's face it, some teams are naturally overrated going into the season because of a name rather than what they can actually do on the field. OSU being one of them this year.

However, Oklahoma is no exception to that rule. Remember a couple of years ago when they were preseason top 5 and ended up finishing 8-5? I honestly didn't think they were as good as the rankings portrayed them to be at the start of the season. But plenty of the "Blue Blood" teams get higher rankings based on history or a coach or a name rather than being objectively rated. Normally, by week four or five it works itself out.

No, we're good, sometimes I come across wrong...and you're right. I've been a Sooner fan going on my 5th decade and I'm fully aware the of the "power" of that itty-bitty OU on side of the helmet.

The 8-5 season ranking was a product of curb-stomping 'Bama's ass the year before.

Now, this shit gets old...hearing about how great the SEC is every year. That self-fulfilling prophecy where "well, they're ranked 15th @ 8-5 because of the tough conference". Or, "they lost to (enter obligatory SEC team here) by ten and moved UP two spots to #9 cuz it's the Mighty SEC beating on each other" lol.

Everybody knows there are a couple of elite teams, and a couple rebuilding teams, and a bunch of fodder in the SEC, just like every other conference. I mean, TCU must've been cheating last week. To beat an SEC team like that. I don't know how they'll play this week after taking that physical beating. And Auburn probably didn't care about the Sugar Bowl last year, because....well, whatever.

Frankly, save LSU and Florida in a couple of Nattys, the only SEC team to have even given OU a game were the Vols that second game. And T had OU's ass BEAT.

Unfortunately, it appears that the Big10 has replaced the SEC as the media darlings. The only conference I dislike more is the Troj...er...PAC 12. [emoji48]

And I must say, I have many OU friends that travel to the road games, and they said that Tennessee trip was probably the best road experience they've ever had. Even better than visiting (and beating) "Touchdown Jesus" a few years back.

ETA...

I think I saw in my other post where you may have thought I was being defensive of OU...it reads a little different now. [emoji41]

Grand58742
09-13-17, 07:02
Unfortunately, it appears that the Big10 has replaced the SEC as the media darlings. The only conference I dislike more is the Troj...er...PAC 12. [emoji48]

And I must say, I have many OU friends that travel to the road games, and they said that Tennessee trip was probably the best road experience they've ever had. Even better than visiting (and beating) "Touchdown Jesus" a few years back.

ETA...

I think I saw in my other post where you may have thought I was being defensive of OU...it reads a little different now.

The Big 10 has always been the media darlings (along with Bama and Notre Dame) and they always will pump Michigan, OSU, Wisconsin, Penn State (though the Sandusky thing made them shy away) and one or two others. And when they play anyone of quality, they get smoked. Just look at Iowa and Nebraska in the last bowl games against UT.

The Sooners out here treated Volnation as honored guests in 2014 and they reciprocated the hospitality in 2015. Sadly, you caught us on a rebuilding year in 2014 since we were still suffering the effects of Dooley. The 2015 match was far greater and we should have kept the foot on the gas all the way to the end. Sooner fans had no idea just how loud a stadium like Neyland gets when the fans are into it. The upcoming UT-OU schedule should be fun, though I'd like to have seen the love spread around to someone else in the Big 12 or even a home and home with someone in the ACC.

docsherm
09-13-17, 08:40

That will never happen. The SEC will always get the most press. ESPN owns the SEC network. The BCS was all about money and ESPN had the most to gain. That is why the SEC "ruled" the BCS era.

The SEC logic is a self licking ice cream cone, SEC teams should be ranked higher because they have to play SEC teams. WTF? And when they do play other conferences in Bowel games they are set up to win.

http://m.thepostgame.com/commentary/201208/better-without-em-northern-manifesto-southern-secession-chuck-thompson-sec-bcs

skywalkrNCSU
09-13-17, 08:52
I'm not a Sooner fan by any stretch of the imagination but when Mayfield stuck that OU flag at midfield at Ohio State that was just awesome. Shame he had to come out and give an apology. College sports are so much better when teams hate each other.

NYH1
09-13-17, 11:51
I'm not a Sooner fan by any stretch of the imagination but when Mayfield stuck that OU flag at midfield at Ohio State that was just awesome. Shame he had to come out and give an apology. College sports are so much better when teams hate each other.
Agree. To me the thing that makes college football better then the NFL is they're kids and they have more emotion. It's not always a good thing, but to me usually it is. When a college age kid make a mistake or does something stupid, I usually give them the benefit of the doubt (no sexual assault or domestic violence).

Having 3 kids (24,20,16) they do things that make us want to think....do they have a brain or no. When you put more kids in the mix, it gets even worse....especially with boys. And my kids are pretty good.

Most college kids will never play again when they're done with college. Their college team is their team for life. They usually give everything they have now knowing this is their moment. To me it's more meaningful. YMMV.

NYH1.

chuckman
09-13-17, 12:49
It's That it's JUST NOW an OU thing, that is my problem. Ruffin brought that cheese from out east...

ETA...we're glad to have Ruff tho. He's already made a huge difference.

Ruffin is a good coach. He and Riley are a great team. And players (and alumni) LOVE Ruffin Mac.

NYH1
09-13-17, 13:58
So what's the big game this weekend?

(3) Clemson at (14) Louisville.
(23) Tennessee at (24) Florida.
Texas at (4) USC.
Notre Dame at Boston College.

NYH1.

chuckman
09-13-17, 14:34

Texas at (4) USC.

NYH1.

Duke vs Baylor. Very important for Duke's division, and we'll see if either team is an aberration. Not important for the national FB landscape but very important for the ACC.

JC5188
09-13-17, 17:14

Texas at (4) USC.

NYH1.

Probably the Clemson game. Tennessee will smoke Florida who is a joke again (or is it still?), and when Texas sucks, they can only beat OU.

JC5188
09-13-17, 17:16
Ruffin is a good coach. He and Riley are a great team. And players (and alumni) LOVE Ruffin Mac.

He is, and it seems he's already helped settle Mike down a bit.

JC5188
09-13-17, 17:18
That will never happen. The SEC will always get the most press. ESPN owns the SEC network. The BCS was all about money and ESPN had the most to gain. That is why the SEC "ruled" the BCS era.

The SEC logic is a self licking ice cream cone, SEC teams should be ranked higher because they have to play SEC teams. WTF? And when they do play other conferences in Bowel games they are set up to win.

http://m.thepostgame.com/commentary/201208/better-without-em-northern-manifesto-southern-secession-chuck-thompson-sec-bcs

Not to mention, no shit they put a lot of talent into the NFL...there's like 18 fickin teams!!

ETA...

On another note...Doc, you're Raiders are the team that always worry me. No shit they play OU tough every time. Except the '08 game. Not sure what that was about.

docsherm
09-13-17, 18:27
Not to mention, no shit they put a lot of talent into the NFL...there's like 18 fickin teams!!

ETA...

On another note...Doc, you're Raiders are the team that always worry me. No shit they play OU tough every time. Except the '08 game. Not sure what that was about.

Last year was the highest scoring game in NCAA history. Bob Stoops said that there was no way to stop Tech, we just had to keep up with scoring and be on top at the end of the game.

docsherm
09-13-17, 18:32
Last year was the highest scoring game in NCAA history. Bob Stoops said that there was no way to stop Tech, we just had to keep up with scoring and be on top at the end of the game.

Edit: it may have been the second highest. But it was still crazy. :)

Grand58742
09-13-17, 19:54

Texas at (4) USC.

NYH1.

Tennessee of course. :D

In seriousness, the UT-UF game will be interesting because it'll be the first conventional offense (if you can call Florida's offense...offense) the Vols have seen this season. And it could decide who challenges UGA for the East.

For pure ratings, Clemson-Louisville will be a good match just to see if Clemson has the "it" factor again this year.

JC5188
09-13-17, 20:42
Edit: it may have been the second highest. But it was still crazy. :)

I think it was most combined yards, too.

"I just got like, this 5.56 okay? And it's 55 grain ball. And everybody I've ever seen shot with it, it dicks them up."

---Clint Smith
Thunder Ranch

Grand58742
09-17-17, 09:20
Well, I felt like punching a puppy yesterday...

Grand58742
09-17-17, 09:24
And I have to say (without the colorful metaphors and adjectives I normally would be using) about how much Tennessee needs a new coach. I gave him three years, year four turned out to be a disaster, but injuries played into that a lot.

Now in year five? Butch Jones coached scared. And he needs to go. This isn't a lack of talent on the team, it's a lack of coaching and preparation.

Campbell
09-17-17, 11:38
And I have to say (without the colorful metaphors and adjectives I normally would be using) about how much Tennessee needs a new coach. I gave him three years, year four turned out to be a disaster, but injuries played into that a lot.

Now in year five? Butch Jones coached scared. And he needs to go. This isn't a lack of talent on the team, it's a lack of coaching and preparation.

A punched puppy could have called better plays... I actually felt bad for you guys...

chuckman
09-17-17, 17:01
I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. I said a few pages ago that Clemson would be good but not 'top-5 playoff' good. I was wrong. They are looking like the real deal. My hats off to their staff for reloading and getting right back in it.

NYH1
09-17-17, 21:45
I thought Texas was gonna pull it off last night.

NYH1.

JC5188
09-18-17, 03:55

NYH1.

I hope they don't play like that against OU.

However.....[emoji51]

"I just got like, this 5.56 okay? And it's 55 grain ball. And everybody I've ever seen shot with it, it dicks them up."

---Clint Smith
Thunder Ranch

WickedWillis
09-18-17, 11:18

NYH1.

Me too unfortunately. Got my hopes up. Freshman QB Ehlinger just never looked 100% comfortable out there and made the big fumble at the end.

NYH1
09-19-17, 12:07
Big games this week?

(16) TCU at (6) Oklahoma State
(17) Mississippi State at (11) Georgia
(4) Penn State at Iowa (could be interesting....maybe)
Notre Dame at Michigan State

Feel free to add gents, NYH1.

chuckman
09-19-17, 12:19
Big games this week?

NC State usually plays (12) Fla State well. NCSU is going up, Fla State may be going down.
Temple plays (21)South Fla. Last couple years Temple (Temple!) has been no pushover.
TCU at Okla State could get real interesting.
Fla at Ky could be good.

Of course, Duke is the only ACC school in NC to be 3-0 and plays UNC.

Grand58742
09-19-17, 13:07
Big games this week?

I will be at the OSU/TCU game.

NYH1
09-19-17, 14:40
Good and drunk....

NYH1.

NYH1
09-19-17, 14:49
I probably should've put NC St.- FSU on the list. FSU hasn't played since Deondre Francois went down. Nobody knows what's going to happen with them.

NYH1.

Grand58742
09-19-17, 19:51
Good and drunk....

NYH1.

I wish.

Working it.

NYH1
09-19-17, 20:54
I wish.

Working it.
Cool!

NYH1.

JC5188
09-20-17, 12:25

Last game I went to was OSU/TT in like 2009.

The facilities were better than OU. We were in the Company Suite...lots of BBQ, and it's all cowboy buddy. I mean the shitter has stitched leather for wall paper, lol.

Have fun!

ETA...

Shit, missed the working part. Well, don't let that paddle slap shit drive you insane then.

"I've just got like, this 5.56 okay? And it's 55 grain ball. And everybody I've ever seen shot with it, it dicks them up."

---Clint Smith
Thunder Ranch

Grand58742
09-20-17, 19:12
Last game I went to was OSU/TT in like 2009.

The facilities were better than OU. We were in the Company Suite...lots of BBQ, and it's all cowboy buddy. I mean the shitter has stitched leather for wall paper, lol.

Boone Pickens Stadium is way nicer than Gaylord Memorial.

By a country mile.

JC5188
09-21-17, 04:55
Boone Pickens Stadium is way nicer than Gaylord Memorial.

By a country mile.

Yeah they had just finished the first renovation when I went...the parking lot was still gravel.

OU just this year finished theirs. I'd imagine they are all pretty close by now. I mean, the last graduating class held their meetings and such in portable trailers, lol

"I've just got like, this 5.56 okay? And it's 55 grain ball. And everybody I've ever seen shot with it, it dicks them up."

---Clint Smith
Thunder Ranch

NYH1
09-21-17, 11:34
Syracuse go's to LSU this weekend. I hope they get their eyes kicked out of their skulls....go 'cuse. Jokers!

NYH1.

Grand58742
09-21-17, 12:54
Yeah they had just finished the first renovation when I went...the parking lot was still gravel.

OU just this year finished theirs. I'd imagine they are all pretty close by now. I mean, the last graduating class held their meetings and such in portable trailers, lol

The south end zone is nice, but it looks like someone barfed up four Lego sets and put Memorial Stadium together. Nothing, and I mean nothing, in that stadium matches.

BPS is nicer head to toe. That's not an anti-OU statement, but rather a practical one from someone that works in both places. Considerable thought was put into BPS with their big renovation. Gaylord Memorial? Should have been torn down and started from scratch.

JC5188
09-21-17, 15:16
The south end zone is nice, but it looks like someone barfed up four Lego sets and put Memorial Stadium together. Nothing, and I mean nothing, in that stadium matches.

BPS is nicer head to toe. That's not an anti-OU statement, but rather a practical one from someone that works in both places. Considerable thought was put into BPS with their big renovation. Gaylord Memorial? Should have been torn down and started from scratch.

Oh dear lord...you're speaking sacrilege now, lol. The "house that Bennie built" has seen every home game since the 20's. They may well rebuild it one brick at a time, but I doubt seriously it would ever be razed and replaced. Just not enough room as I recall.

Again, I've only been in the company suite so the bowl seating could be total shit.

---Clint Smith
Thunder Ranch

NYH1
09-23-17, 22:30
TCU whooped up on Ok. St. pretty good.
OU-Baylor was a lot closer then anyone would've thought.
Thought Iowa was gonna beat Penn. St.
NC St. beat FSU.
Vandy almost pulled off the upset over Bama....that was close!

NYH1.

skywalkrNCSU
09-23-17, 22:33
If there is any team we can give a hard time it is FSU. I fully expect us to lose next week to Syracuse now.

NYH1
09-23-17, 23:17
If FSU's O-line can't figure out a way to protect their new QB....they're gonna have another QB to try and figure out how to protect. That O-line is terrible. Blackmans 6-5" 185 lbs. that's awful skinny, he's gonna get killed.

NYH1.

docsherm
09-23-17, 23:19
I was sure glad to see TCU beat OSU. That was a great game. I was really surprised but Kirk Herbstreit called the TCU game just as it went down hours before the game. He even went on to say that he predicts TCU to be very competitive for the Big 12 championship.

I will say that I the TTU and Houston game was not the shoot-out that everyone thought it would be. I was shocked that the defense for both teams made he difference. If I would have said that the TTU defense would win a game last year I would have been committed. :jester: They have come a long way.

JC5188
09-24-17, 05:01
TCU whooped up on Ok. St. pretty good.
OU-Baylor was a lot closer then anyone would've thought.
Thought Iowa was gonna beat Penn. St.
NC St. beat FSU.

NYH1.

Yeah that sux for ok-st, and OU always has a dog fight with Baylor.

LOVE college football!!!!!!

You just never know.

---Clint Smith
Thunder Ranch

JC5188
09-24-17, 05:07
I was sure glad to see TCU beat OSU. That was a great game. I was really surprised but Kirk Herbstreit called the TCU game just as it went down hours before the game. He even went on to say that he predicts TCU to be very competitive for the Big 12 championship.

I will say that I the TTU and Houston game was not the shoot-out that everyone thought it would be. I was shocked that the defense for both teams made he difference. If I would have said that the TTU defense would win a game last year I would have been committed. :jester: They have come a long way.

Not taking anything from TCU, they're solid and scare me a bit as an OU fan.

But there was some shall we say...questionable play-calling from the O-State OC.

If you can't break the cover-2 (mainly from a nickel formation) with the run, get that big TE or a slot receiver over the middle and mis-matched on the LB who's left to fend for himself. But, they just kept running and running instead.

So, their big-time guys were doubled all night long.

---Clint Smith
Thunder Ranch

Campbell
09-24-17, 10:58
Go Dawgs!!

Grand58742
09-24-17, 11:29

NYH1.

Sometimes you get what you ask for. Their players talking trash the week prior to was uncalled for and completely unjustified given Vandy's complete and utter lack of performance over the past...80 years or so.

Vandy needs to learn the Kentucky football example. When your team wins, you celebrate, but you don't get cocky about it. I give the Wildcats all the props in the world for being humble in winning (football at least) and looking forward to the next game instead of talking trash.

chuckman
09-25-17, 07:57
NC State winning should not be a surprise to anyone. NC State almost always plays FSU competitively; FSU's first loss in the ACC was to NCSU.

FSU, stick a fork in them, they are done. Feeling better about Duke playing them.

NYH1
09-25-17, 22:13
Sometimes you get what you ask for. Their players talking trash the week prior to was uncalled for and completely unjustified given Vandy's complete and utter lack of performance over the past...80 years or so.

Vandy needs to learn the Kentucky football example. When your team wins, you celebrate, but you don't get cocky about it. I give the Wildcats all the props in the world for being humble in winning (football at least) and looking forward to the next game instead of talking trash.
I didn't know Vandy was talking trash. Maybe their parents should've told them when they little about pocking a bear with a dull stick....not a good idea.

I'm with ya on Kentucky, I thought they were gonna win, was hoping they would.

NYH1.

WickedWillis
09-26-17, 11:57
I get to go to the Washington State vs USC game this Friday. I'm pretty excited about it, should be a shootout.

Grand58742
09-26-17, 12:01
I didn't know Vandy was talking trash. Maybe their parents should've told them when they little about pocking a bear with a dull stick....not a good idea.

I'm with ya on Kentucky, I thought they were gonna win, was hoping they would.

NYH1.

He's a Bama fan, but funny. And this shows the trash talking that was done by Vandy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88RrKa3zfRs

NYH1
09-27-17, 18:09
Big games this week?

Friday-
(5) USC at (16) Washington State.

Saturday-
North Carolina at Georgia Tech.
Vanderbilt at (21) Florida. (maybe?)
Baylor at Kansas State.
Iowa at Michigan State.
(24) Mississippi State at (13) Auburn.
(2) Clemson at (12) Virginia Tech.
(15) Oklahoma State at Texas Tech.
California at Oregon.

To many, not enough? Feel free to add gents!

NYH1.

chuckman
09-28-17, 14:26
Big games this week?

Friday-

Saturday-
Baylor at Kansas State.
Iowa at Michigan State.
California at Oregon.

NYH1.

Miss State/Auburn can be a really good game
Clemson should beat Va Tech, but Va Tech is dangerous; I won't be surprised if Clemson loses
Miami at Duke, historically they play tight, Miami's secondary is 'meh' and Duke QB is very good

Grand58742
09-28-17, 20:21
Big games this week?

Friday-

Saturday-
Baylor at Kansas State.
Iowa at Michigan State.
California at Oregon.

NYH1.

Georgia at Tennessee.

Regardless of how good or bad either program is, this is always a good game and tends to go well into the 4th quarter.

docsherm
09-28-17, 20:58
Big games this week?

NYH1.

There you go...I helped you narrow it down a bit. ;)

That and I think that the Mississippi State at Auburn should be a good game also.

chuckman
09-29-17, 07:18
Miami at Duke tonight....

WickedWillis
09-29-17, 10:51
Wazzu USC tonight. Martin stadium should be rocking.

WickedWillis
09-29-17, 10:52
Miami at Duke tonight....

It will be a better game that is getting overlooked.

Grand58742
09-30-17, 19:28
Georgia at Tennessee.

Regardless of how good or bad either program is, this is always a good game and tends to go well into the 4th quarter.

Or not...

Campbell
09-30-17, 20:20
Or not...

Definitely not. I actually like Jones, and was hoping he would have success at UT

VIP3R 237
09-30-17, 21:21
My question is can anyone beat Bama this year? They look heads and shoulders above everyone else.

Campbell
10-01-17, 11:16
My question is can anyone beat Bama this year? They look heads and shoulders above everyone else.

There are IMO more than a few teams with enough talent to beat Bama... it's just tough to out- execute Satan, I mean Saban.

NYH1
10-01-17, 11:28
I hope not. Looks like they're on course for a Bama-Georgia SEC Championship Game.

Clemson looks really good too, right there with Bama IMHO.

I think Oklahoma has the hardest chance of going undefeated of the current top teams. They could be right there at the end and make the playoffs though. The Big 12 is likely to eat their own like the SEC of the past did. I think it's a toughest conference this season top to bottom.

Don't know what to make of the Big 10 or PAC 12 teams, that's just me.

There's still a lot of football to be played for everyone!

That Oklahoma State-Texas Tech. game was a good one!

ROLL TIDE, NYH1.

Grand58742
10-01-17, 12:11
Definitely not. I actually like Jones, and was hoping he would have success at UT

All the other SEC coaches like Jones at UT as well lol

He's got to go. I've never seen a team at UT more uninspired than I saw yesterday. Jones has been a good recruiter and has brought Tennessee up from the utter mess Dooley left it in 2012, but he just can't take that next step to challenging for the East every year. No slogans or trash cans or anything of the sort can help at this point.

Whether the UT boosters and admin are willing to spend enough for a high level coach is going to be the key in this.

10-01-17, 12:20
All the other SEC coaches like Jones at UT as well lol

He's got to go. I've never seen a team at UT more uninspired than I saw yesterday. Jones has been a good recruiter and has brought Tennessee up from the utter mess Dooley left it in 2012, but he just can't take that next step to challenging for the East every year. No slogans or trash cans or anything of the sort can help at this point.

Whether the UT boosters and admin are willing to spend enough for a high level coach is going to be the key in this.

As a UT alum, Jones has to go; period. Doesn't have what it takes to make it in the SEC. As the announcers said during yesterdays's ass whipping', UT is one THE elite programs and the current situation in untenable.

Students painted rock all white and put "Fire Jones" on it in orange.

UT is phucking' pathetic at this point. The upside is wife and I both have family in AL and she did part of her med. school rotations at Bama. So, we cheer for Bama as well. Roll Tide!!!

chuckman
10-02-17, 09:09
Clemson....

Dude, I am man enough to admit I was wrong. Clemson in en fuego, well on their way to the January 8 game in Atlanta. If they keep their heads about them there is no one in the ACC to stop them.

NYH1
10-04-17, 10:33
That time of the week gents....big games this week??

(17) Louisville at (24) NC State.
(13) Miami, FL at Florida State (FSU needs this one!).
(21) Notre Dame at North Carolina.
(23) West Virginia at (8) TCU.
Kansas State at Texas.
Michigan State at (7) Michigan.

What do ya think, NYH1.

chuckman
10-04-17, 10:38

Kansas State at Texas.

What do ya think, NYH1.

State is hot right now. Louisville is a mediocre team with a Heisman QB. I am taking NC State (which pains me ever so much....)
Miami over Fla State
Notre Dame over UNC. IF UNC was healthy they could be a 8-4 team, but like 50% of their starters are out.
TCU over West Va.

skywalkrNCSU
10-04-17, 11:26
Since we are ranked and doing well I fully expect State to crap the bed Thursday but then again I am forever jaded as a lifelong Wolfpack fan so I always expect to be let down.

chuckman
10-04-17, 11:39
Since we are ranked and doing well I fully expect State to crap the bed Thursday but then again I am forever jaded as a lifelong Wolfpack fan so I always expect to be let down.

I went to ECU, so not a big Wolfpack fan, but I will pull for them most of the time. This will be their first 'real' test since Florida State shit the bed, and if they do well, they can likely win the rest except against Clemson (I don't see anyone beating Clemson right now).

State's biggest problem is State. Somehow they just can't get of their own way in some games.

skywalkrNCSU
10-04-17, 11:41
I went to ECU, so not a big Wolfpack fan, but I will pull for them most of the time. This will be their first 'real' test since Florida State shit the bed, and if they do well, they can likely win the rest except against Clemson (I don't see anyone beating Clemson right now).

State's biggest problem is State. Somehow they just can't get of their own way in some games.

Absolutely agreed. Or as us State fans put it, NC State shit

HCrum87hc
10-04-17, 14:29
Dude, I am man enough to admit I was wrong. Clemson in en fuego, well on their way to the January 8 game in Atlanta. If they keep their heads about them there is no one in the ACC to stop them.

I tried to tell you... I didn't think we'd roll through September like that. I was expecting at least one loss. I think our toughest game from here on out will be NC State. I'm very interested in their game vs. Louisville this week. State played us tough last year, and would have won if not for a missed FG.

I won't be surprised if we see Clemson vs. Bama round 3.

The_War_Wagon
10-04-17, 16:58
My Tarheels suuuuucccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk... :( Come on, BASSETBALL season.

Western Carolina & Marshall are hangin' tough, however - better than LAST year, to be certain!

chuckman
10-05-17, 07:24
My Tarheels suuuuucccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk... :( Come on, BASSETBALL season.

Western Carolina & Marshall are hangin' tough, however - better than LAST year, to be certain!

How do you think they will do in basketball this year? The bigger questions is, how are the alumni and fans going to react when the NCAA lowers the hammer?

Watrdawg
10-05-17, 07:31
How do you think they will do in basketball this year? The bigger questions is, how are the alumni and fans going to react when the NCAA lowers the hammer?

They now have the #1 recruiting class for 2018. It'll be a stretch for them to win it all again this year but the future is looking bright. All could be derailed by the NCAA though. We will see what happens.

chuckman
10-05-17, 08:50
They now have the #1 recruiting class for 2018. It'll be a stretch for them to win it all again this year but the future is looking bright. All could be derailed by the NCAA though. We will see what happens.

They have number 1 recruiting class, but we all know how that goes (see Duke, Kentucky, Michigan....).

In all fairness, I went to grad school at Duke, my sister went to Duke, my father worked at Duke, I work at Duke now. I hate UNC about as much as anyone can, but have always respected the basketball program. All the NCAA shenanigans, that falls on other programs, but I think the bball program has always been a class act.

I absolutely loving that the football team is sucking right now.

Watrdawg
10-05-17, 09:04
They have number 1 recruiting class, but we all know how that goes (see Duke, Kentucky, Michigan....).

In all fairness, I went to grad school at Duke, my sister went to Duke, my father worked at Duke, I work at Duke now. I hate UNC about as much as anyone can, but have always respected the basketball program. All the NCAA shenanigans, that falls on other programs, but I think the bball program has always been a class act.

I absolutely loving that the football team is sucking right now.

Not a Duke fan typically. However when it comes to tourney time I'm all ACC. Never really cared for UNC Football. Definite Michigan fan when it comes to football.

Watrdawg
10-05-17, 09:09

Kansas State at Texas.

What do ya think, NYH1.

Would love for NC State to win this one! Not a Louisville fan.
Miami
Notre Dame - UNC could easily end up below .500 this year.
TCU by a long shot.
KSU x Texas - who cares. Give Texas a couple of years and maybe they will be relevant again.
Michigan

chuckman
10-06-17, 07:09
Well, my football weekend started well with my prediction of NC State over Louisville.

I like State to win at least 9 games this year, but I do not think they can get by Clemson.

In other pro football news, I saw an ad that Tampa Bay is looking for a FG kicker, no experience necessary......

NYH1
10-06-17, 08:26
Yeah, good win for NC St. for sure. ;)

Maybe T-bay's kicker hurt his leg kneeling....being facetious.

NYH1.

skywalkrNCSU
10-06-17, 08:34
We actually looked like a solid football team and played through the end of the game. I’m not sure what to think anymore.

chuckman
10-06-17, 09:03
We actually looked like a solid football team and played through the end of the game. I’m not sure what to think anymore.

I am believing State won't shit the bed against, say, BC or WF (because that's what they do) and will end the season with at least 9 wins (probably losing to Clemson--no shame in that--and maybe lose against a better ND).

skywalkrNCSU
10-06-17, 09:21
I am believing State won't shit the bed against, say, BC or WF (because that's what they do) and will end the season with at least 9 wins (probably losing to Clemson--no shame in that--and maybe lose against a better ND).

To be honest, those BC/WF type games are the ones I’m worried about the most. If we can show that we can actually beat the teams we are supposed to but lose to Clemson I’d be cool with that. I have seen to many seasons where we blow it against crappy teams and I would be glad to just see us right the ship on those.

NYH1
10-06-17, 11:10
Hopefully NC St. will be 7-1 going into the Clemson game and will play them close, maybe even pull off the upset, games in Raleigh. That's be awesome.

NYH1.

chuckman
10-06-17, 11:30
Hopefully NC St. will be 7-1 going into the Clemson game and will play them close, maybe even pull off the upset, games in Raleigh. That's be awesome.

NYH1.

I have never been a huge NCSU fan. My first degree is from East Carolina University, about an hour east of State, and we've have a pretty big out-of-conference rivalry in football. That said, when they aren't playing my alma mater I will generally pull for them, and this is as good a State team as I have seen in many, many years. They will give Clemson a run for their money, and I think it's even money against ND.

Watrdawg
10-06-17, 11:56
I hope they beat ND also!! ECU is getting pounded this year unfortunately. I love seeing the little guy beat the in state schools and VT every now and then.

chuckman
10-06-17, 13:19
I hope they beat ND also!! ECU is getting pounded this year unfortunately. I love seeing the little guy beat the in state schools and VT every now and then.

Yeah, ECU is a shit-show this year, and it won't change until we get a new coach and a new AD.

ECU was never Alabama--we never tried to be--but we have been in the top 25 many times, and slayed some giants (just watched a show recently about ECU beating # 9 Miami in Raleigh because Hurricane Floyd had flooded Greenville). Right now, I would just like some consistent 6-win seasons.

skywalkrNCSU
10-06-17, 13:41
Yeah, ECU is a shit-show this year, and it won't change until we get a new coach and a new AD.

ECU was never Alabama--we never tried to be--but we have been in the top 25 many times, and slayed some giants (just watched a show recently about ECU beating # 9 Miami in Raleigh because Hurricane Floyd had flooded Greenville). Right now, I would just like some consistent 6-win seasons.

Wasn’t that the time you guys pulled down our goal posts? Probably the main reason I have always cheered against ECU

chuckman
10-06-17, 13:48
Wasn’t that the time you guys pulled down our goal posts? Probably the main reason I have always cheered against ECU

Lol...that was in 1987 when we played State, came from behind to win. I was there for that. That was the game that cancelled the NCSU-ECU series for a while.

ECU may have done that in 99 when they beat Miami as well, and yeah, as an alumni it pissed me off, too...classless. I have always been like "act like you've been there."

skywalkrNCSU
10-06-17, 14:04
Lol...that was in 1987 when we played State, came from behind to win. I was there for that. That was the game that cancelled the NCSU-ECU series for a while.

ECU may have done that in 99 when they beat Miami as well, and yeah, as an alumni it pissed me off, too...classless. I have always been like "act like you've been there."

Yep, just checked and it did happen in 99. I’ll admit, if I was a student at ECU I would have loved it then so I can only be so upset by it. At least it ads to the rivalry, college sports are better when teams hate each other.

chuckman
10-06-17, 14:18
Yep, just checked and it did happen in 99. I’ll admit, if I was a student at ECU I would have loved it then so I can only be so upset by it. At least it ads to the rivalry, college sports are better when teams hate each other.

I have mellowed over the years regarding State, but I have never, ever mellowed about UNC. I am having wet dreams at the possible sanctions the NCAA might hand down....

skywalkrNCSU
10-06-17, 14:20
I have mellowed over the years regarding State, but I have never, ever mellowed about UNC. I am having wet dreams at the possible sanctions the NCAA might hand down....

And cheers to that my man

Grand58742
10-06-17, 18:50
Looks like Tennessee is getting a new coach fairly soon.

NYH1
10-07-17, 15:30
Down go's Oklahoma!

NYH1.

FlyingHunter
10-07-17, 17:37
Down go's Oklahoma!

NYH1.

Should help my Dawgs move from #5 to #4.

NYH1
10-07-17, 22:05
Should help my Dawgs move from #5 to #4.
Yep!

Bama played like crap tonight. They won but looked terrible. I saw that Clemson's QB got hurt, not sure how bad, hopefully nothing serious.

NYH1.

NYH1
10-07-17, 22:57
Michigan St. beat Michigan in the Big House!
TCU beat West Virginia making them the only unbeaten left in the Big 12.
Miami beats FSU in a close one. LSU did the same to Florida.
Texas beat K St. in OT.

NYH1.

26 Inf
10-07-17, 23:50
TCU beat West Virginia making them the only unbeaten left in the Big 12.

Texas beat K St. in OT.

NYH1.

In further Big 12 news Texas Tech defeated KU. EDIT: defeated, heck, it was a massacre. I'm so happy I have both football and basketball season tickets. Football season makes me appreciate the basketball wins all the more.

Three and a half hours to Lawrence, first quarter an hour and seven minutes long. Along about the fifth official review I was thinking about going down to a field gate and meandering onto the field, dropping my drawers in front of the FS1 cameras and saying 'Hey, review this Big 12.'

I didn't make it to half-time.

Damn.

Artos
10-08-17, 09:38
Both the TCU & UT game were a joy to watch...my son goes to TCU & got to watch ESPN's Game Day unfold right outside his dorm. Nephew goes to UT & looking at tickets to hook up for a fam rivalry in Nov. Should be a hoot if we can make it happen.

GO FROGS...

NYH1
10-10-17, 08:50
Where are all the Oklahoma fans amongst us....sure been quite. Just kidding! :D It happens. Remember Uncle Saban's Tide lost to UL-Monroe, member, you member, member?

So here we are again, big games for the week.

Friday's game.
(2) Clemson at Syracuse....I had to, couldn't help myself! :suicide:

Saturday's games.
(24) Texas Tech at West Virginia.
(12) Oklahoma vs. Texas (in Dallas).
Virginia at North Carolina.
Texas A&M at Florida.

Not a lot going this weekend.

NYH1.

JC5188
10-12-17, 06:43
Where are all the Oklahoma fans amongst us....sure been quite. Just kidding! :D It happens. Remember Uncle Saban's Tide lost to UL-Monroe, member, you member, member?

So here we are again, big games for the week.

Friday's game.
(2) Clemson at Syracuse....I had to, couldn't help myself! :suicide:

Saturday's games.
(24) Texas Tech at West Virginia.
(12) Oklahoma vs. Texas (in Dallas).
Virginia at North Carolina.
Texas A&M at Florida.

Not a lot going this weekend.

NYH1.

Been sick bro...literally and figuratively. ☹️

That’s the most Ill-prepared OU team I’ve seen ranked that high. Worst home loss in history.

I don’t know if Lincoln can stand too many more of those.

Fortunately, if they win out there is still a shot with the Ohio State game. This will be looked at by the committee as a game where their two most prolific skill players were out, also.

chuckman
10-12-17, 07:21

Every team deserves a mulligan or two. There are always 'shit happens' games. Riley is special, and one of the best minds in college football today. If OU fires him over a game or two like that, they are really shooting themselves in the foot.

Grand58742
10-12-17, 10:20
Been sick bro...literally and figuratively. ☹️

That’s the most Ill-prepared OU team I’ve seen ranked that high. Worst home loss in history.

As Chuck stated, it's one game. And to be fair, it's hard taking over for a legend at any school. Expectations are way higher and losses just aren't acceptable. I pity the coach that has to (eventually) take over for Saban when he decides to hang it up because Lord help that fan base the first time they lose to any SEC opponent. Regardless, Riley will be fine in the long run.

While you can typically throw records out the window when it comes to the Red River Rivalry, I have this feeling OU is going to go in there and kick the ever living snot out of Texas this weekend. They are angry, motivated and it's, well, Red River.

JC5188
10-13-17, 01:58
Every team deserves a mulligan or two. There are always 'shit happens' games. Riley is special, and one of the best minds in college football today. If OU fires him over a game or two like that, they are really shooting themselves in the foot.

As Chuck stated, it's one game. And to be fair, it's hard taking over for a legend at any school. Expectations are way higher and losses just aren't acceptable. I pity the coach that has to (eventually) take over for Saban when he decides to hang it up because Lord help that fan base the first time they lose to any SEC opponent. Regardless, Riley will be fine in the long run.

While you can typically throw records out the window when it comes to the Red River Rivalry, I have this feeling OU is going to go in there and kick the ever living snot out of Texas this weekend. They are angry, motivated and it's, well, Red River.

You guys know that and I know that, but I’ve been an OU fan since Switzers early days. More recently, every year they didn’t make the NC we had idiots calling for Bobs head. [emoji57]

Yeah.

I hope they right the ship, as they are playing multiple freshmen and have a chance to be really good in the near future.

HCrum87hc
10-13-17, 14:12
Yep!

Bama played like crap tonight. They won but looked terrible. I saw that Clemson's QB got hurt, not sure how bad, hopefully nothing serious.

NYH1.

Kelly Bryant is playing tonight, but I don't see Syracuse winning even against our second or third string qbs.

NYH1
10-13-17, 17:39
Kelly Bryant is playing tonight, but I don't see Syracuse winning even against our second or third string qbs.
I'm in the Central New York area (don't hold that against me). Don't follow Syracuse but it's local to me. If Syracuse wins for ANY reason....Clemson should quit football altogether. Clemson wins under the big top tonight going away! ;)

NYH1.

NYH1
10-13-17, 19:57
I hope Bryant is ok. That was nasty. Clemson looks terrible.

NYH1.

skywalkrNCSU
10-13-17, 21:31
Clemson just Clemsoned all over themselves

HCrum87hc
10-13-17, 21:36
That was atrocious. Defense never got off the plane, and from what I saw, Kelley Bryant should have never played tonight. Offensive line was porous. It’s also been made abundantly clear that losing our starting kicker for the season is hurting us badly. Syracuse came ready to play, and Clemson clearly didn’t.

NYH1
10-13-17, 21:47
Biggest win for Syracuse since they beat #1 Nebraska back in '84. Not good for Clemson.

NYH1.

JC5188
10-14-17, 04:54
That was atrocious. Defense never got off the plane, and from what I saw, Kelley Bryant should have never played tonight. Offensive line was porous. It’s also been made abundantly clear that losing our starting kicker for the season is hurting us badly. Syracuse came ready to play, and Clemson clearly didn’t.

Everybody makes fun of kickers...until you don’t have one.

Oklahoma in the same boat.

[emoji20]

docsherm
10-14-17, 09:46
Last night Washington State got killed by Cal. That is two top 10 teams that lost to unranked teams so far this week. Should be interesting.

Wreck'em Tech!!!

Guns UP!

chuckman
10-14-17, 16:44
I hated to see Clemson lose, and that sure was ugly. I will also be curious to see how far they fall, but unless they win the ACC, they are out of contention for the playoffs at this point.

NYH1
10-14-17, 17:38
I hated to see Clemson lose, and that sure was ugly. I will also be curious to see how far they fall, but unless they win the ACC, they are out of contention for the playoffs at this point.
With the four team playoff system you should have to win your conference to get in. Ohio St. last year was BS. Should have been Penn. St. Glad Clemson shut them out. Of course Ohio St. could probably lose a few games and still make the playoffs. Don't want to give Meyers anxiety so he quits again!

NYH1.

NYH1
10-14-17, 17:43
Got us a ball game going on in Dallas. Texas 24 - OU 23, 8:01 to go!

NYH1.

NYH1
10-14-17, 17:55
With the four team playoff system you should have to win your conference to get in. Ohio St. last year was BS. Should have been Penn. St. Glad Clemson shut them out. Of course Ohio St. could probably lose a few games and still make the playoffs. Don't want to give Meyers anxiety so he quits again!

NYH1.
Clemson lost at home to Pitt last year, won out, then went on to win the ACC and NC. Still a lot of ball left. If they can get Kelly Bryant back they should be fine. Just my $0.02.

NYH1.

chuckman
10-14-17, 18:07

NYH1.

I agree. They spent so many years claiming that a conference Championship was important, now some people are back-tracking saying that it really isn't that important. You can't have it both ways. Clemson needs to win out, and win the ACC to get a playoff spot.

JC5188
10-15-17, 02:20
Got us a ball game going on in Dallas. Texas 24 - OU 23, 8:01 to go!

NYH1.

Typical OU-Tex.

WHEW!

NYH1
10-15-17, 10:43
It's going to be interesting the rest of the way for Oklahoma. Can't wait for the OU-Ok St. game.

On a side note, hopefully the Giants will keep losing, fire mcadoodoo and draft Mason Rudolph, Eli's getting up there. Of course all this after they end their kneeing BS. Haven't watched an NFL snap since week 2!

NYH1.

skywalkrNCSU
10-15-17, 10:51
What a wild week for ranked teams. In a week where there were no ranked matchups we sure got a lot of unexpected games. Also, I can’t believe it but NC State is leading their division, still waiting on us to revert back to reality.

_Stormin_
10-15-17, 18:10
Well there goes my season. Huskies looked like absolute crap on offense. ASU got away with plenty of holding, but if you can't hang 30 on an unranked team you're done.

Grand58742
10-15-17, 19:15
Still waiting on the official word Jones has been fired.

He's coaching like he knows it's about to happen. And gonna get that fat paycheck from Tennessee until some other sucker college picks him up.

hotrodder636
10-15-17, 21:04
It’s a bad year to be a Husker fan. New AD, likely another new coach soon. It would be nice if we could get Les Miles.

Grand58742
10-16-17, 07:37
It’s a bad year to be a Husker fan. New AD, likely another new coach soon. It would be nice if we could get Les Miles.

I'd bet they go all in on Scott Frost.

And with the way he's performing right now, it's not a bad hire. Right "coaching tree" and proven.

docsherm
10-16-17, 09:06
I'd bet they go all in on Scott Frost.

And with the way he's performing right now, it's not a bad hire. Right "coaching tree" and proven.

I was reading this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-football-mike-riley-mike-leach-coaching-rumors/amp

NYH1
10-16-17, 13:56
Dabo Swinney is a stall up guy for sure.

After losing to Syracuse Friday night when he and Dino Babers (SU's head coach) met at midfield embracing in a genuine man hug, Dabo told Babers "I'm so happy for you". Later after both teams were in their respective locker rooms, Dabo went into SU's locker room to talk to them and congratulate them for their win. When asked after the game about the big upset, he said SU out coached, outplayed and wanted it more then we did....I'm happy for them, no excuses!

A lot can be said of how a man reacts when things don't go his way. Dabo's a good dude in my book.

NYH1.

HCrum87hc
10-16-17, 14:14
Dabo Swinney is a stall up guy for sure.

After losing to Syracuse Friday night when he and Dino Babers (SU's head coach) met at midfield embracing in a genuine man hug, Dabo told Babers "I'm so happy for you". Later after both teams were in their respective locker rooms, Dabo went into SU's locker room to talk to them and congratulate them for their win. When asked after the game about the big upset, he said SU out coached, outplayed and wanted it more then we did....I'm happy for them, no excuses!

A lot can be said of how a man reacts when things don't go his way. Dabo's a good dude in my book.

NYH1.

Dabo's incredible. We all thought the administration was insane to make a WR coach the interim head coach when they fired Tommy Bowden, but clearly someone knew something. Clemson has one of the highest graduation rates for a football program, and they've obviously found a lot of success on the field. He makes a point of raising up men, not just football players. We're fortunate to have him as a head coach.

Clemson can still make the playoffs, but they have to win out, including the ACC championship. We have a bye week coming up, so hopefully everyone can get some rest and our QB can recover.

NYH1
10-16-17, 18:17
Yeah, if Clemson can get Kelly Bryant back to form they should be fine.

NYH1.

NYH1
10-18-17, 13:55
Big games this weekend.

Louisville at Florida State (maybe not big, could be a good one though).
(10) Oklahoma State at Texas.
(9) Oklahoma at Kansas State.
(19) Michigan at (2) Penn State.
(11) USC at (13) Notre Dame.

NYH1.

chuckman
10-18-17, 19:16
Big games this weekend.

Louisville at Florida State (maybe not big, could be a good one though).
(10) Oklahoma State at Texas.
(9) Oklahoma at Kansas State.
(19) Michigan at (2) Penn State.
(11) USC at (13) Notre Dame.

NYH1.

Louisville and Florida State. Two stinkers. Whoever chooses to willfully watch this game is doing so because there is simply nothing better to do. I saw Florida State play live last weekend, I will say their D line is big and athletic.

Penn State/Michigan will be good

NYH1
10-18-17, 19:34
Penn St. has a tough few weeks ahead of them. Michigan this week, Ohio St. next week, Michigan St. the week after that. Think they'll come through it 3-0?

NYH1.

chuckman
10-19-17, 07:19
Penn St. has a tough few weeks ahead of them. Michigan this week, Ohio St. next week, Michigan St. the week after that. Think they'll come through it 3-0?

NYH1.

It is a brutal stretch. If they do, they are legit #2 with a good case for #1.

Grand58742
10-21-17, 13:17
Little over an hour until my team gets dismantled by Bama.

<sigh>

Grand58742
10-23-17, 07:07
And Jones is still employed this AM...

However, lot of smoke surrounding his firing and possible replacement coaches. Allegedly, the BOT have given the green light and open checkbook to make a splash hire when Jones is fired.

The_War_Wagon
10-23-17, 09:30
Don't look now - my Catamounts are 6 - 2, tied for first in the So-Con, and ranked 21st in the nation! Bow chicka-bow-bow! :dance3:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/WCU_zpsswy1xriu.png

VIP3R 237
10-23-17, 09:41

NYH1.

They beat up on Michigan more than I thought they would, so next week should be a good game.

NYH1
10-23-17, 17:38
Don't look now - my Catamounts are 6 - 2, tied for first in the So-Con, and ranked 21st in the nation! Bow chicka-bow-bow! :dance3:

WCU?? Is that like Washington Central University, Wisconsin Center Unlimited, Wyoming Calfropers United or W. Virginia something or other U?? What is that of which you speak my fellow M4Carbiner??

I kid the Catamounts! :haha:

Aren't they involved in a legit win and you're in type playoff system? A system of which the top tier of college football just seemingly can't get involved in....maybe some day!

NYH1.

NYH1
10-23-17, 17:45
They beat up on Michigan more than I thought they would, so next week should be a good game.
I thought PSU was going to put it to Michigan pretty good. I was a little surprised with the ND-USC game, thought it'd be closer. Don't watch much football Saturday. It was opening day of deer season here (rifle, northern zone) so my son and I were busy!

NYH1.

NYH1
10-26-17, 15:29
A few games this week.

(11) Oklahoma State at (22) West Virginia.
(14) NC State at (9) Notre Dame.
(2) Penn State at (6) Ohio State.
(4) TCU at (25) Iowa State (Iowa St. in the top 25 how about that.)
Texas Tech at (10) Oklahoma.

NYH1.

docsherm
10-26-17, 19:02
If Penn State wins I can't wait to see how they explain how they do not deserve to be #1 when Alabama is on a bye.

chuckman
10-27-17, 07:27
If Penn State wins I can't wait to see how they explain how they do not deserve to be #1 when Alabama is on a bye.

Agreed. Alabama get the benefit of the doubt with pollsters hanging on to the history that the SEC is the best conference, when it just ain't so. If Penn State wins they have a legit claim to #1 (and the target that it comes with); if they win out, they should just be moved to number 1 on SOS alone.

chuckman
10-27-17, 07:30

We used to joke that WCU is where kids went who couldn't get into college; in reality, for athletes it was UNC all along.

Joking aside, WCU has a beautiful campus.

NYH1
10-28-17, 00:40
Can't really fault Bama for having a bye.

Listen, Penn St. can win out, win the Big 10 and Ohio St. will still make the playoffs....don't worry about Bama being in PSU's way! ;)

NYH1.

JC5188
10-28-17, 12:29
Can't really fault Bama for having a bye.

Listen, Penn St. can win out, win the Big 10 and Ohio St. will still make the playoffs....don't worry about Bama being in PSU's way! [emoji6]

NYH1.

Oklahoma wins out...might ruin their party. (OSU)

FlyingHunter
10-28-17, 13:49
UGA vs Florida at 1530 today. The first serious test of the Dawgs ability to bite, not just bark and validate their national ranking. A few years back, I took my then teenage son to the game and he had a 4 hour lesson from both UGA and Fla. fans about how to cuss. He's now UGA alumni like me, however; unlike me he's actually at the game today!

Campbell
10-28-17, 13:57
UGA vs Florida at 1530 today. The first serious test of the Dawgs ability to bite, not just bark and validate their national ranking. A few years back, I took my then teenage son the game and he had a 4 hour lesson from both UGA and Fla. fans about how to cuss. He's now UGA alumni like me, however; unlike me he's actually at the game today!

Georgia should dominate both sides of the ball, and I’m praying for a complete beat down 😀

Eurodriver
10-28-17, 14:40
I literally went to grab a bag of potato chips and the Nittany Lions already scored on Ohio State.

I am so happy. Ohio St has the cockiest fans.

ETA: They scored again. And THE Ohio state can’t even catch the ball.

FlyingHunter
10-28-17, 15:09
UGA 21, Fla. 0 and we're in the first half of the first quarter. Call a vet...this Dawg finally has killer instinct. Go Dawgs!

FlyingHunter
10-28-17, 18:20
#6 Ohio pulls out a last minute win over #2 Penn. Reset coming for the top 10.

austinN4
10-28-17, 19:05
But they didn't.

austinN4
10-28-17, 19:07
I literally went to grab a bag of potato chips and the Nittany Lions already scored on Ohio State.

I am so happy. Ohio St has the cockiest fans.

ETA: They scored again. And THE Ohio state can’t even catch the ball.

sorry. you lose.

HMM
10-28-17, 19:21
Guess Penn State is regretting the We Want Bama chants last week...lol

I'm not a fan of tOSU but we owe them one from the first playoff semi final.

NYH1
10-28-17, 19:55
Oklahoma wins out...might ruin their party. (OSU)
Ohio St. won so if they win out they'll control their own destiny. Which in my opinion will be easier to do then Oklahoma.

I think OU has at least another loss in them this season. To many close games from the Baylor game on, games they should've won handily. They still have Ok. St., TCU and even W. Va. to play. Playing in close game after close game your lucks more then likely to run out again.

Just my $0.02, NYH1.

Eurodriver
10-28-17, 20:18
sorry. you lose.

I’m a Bama fan.

tOSU fan say what?

JC5188
10-29-17, 10:17
Ohio St. won so if they win out they'll control their own destiny. Which in my opinion will be easier to do then Oklahoma.

I think OU has at least another loss in them this season. To many close games from the Baylor game on, games they should've won handily. They still have Ok. St., TCU and even W. Va. to play. Playing in close game after close game your lucks more then likely to run out again.

Just my $0.02, NYH1.

They may. But they have a history of finishing strong, and with one loss that all of a sudden doesn’t look as bad as it did? I don’t see how they have the same record and OSU displaces them. They curb-stomped them IN the shoe.

I know they are currently ranked above them, but that’s the AP poll not the committee. And the committee decides based on body of work at the end, and HU, and conf champs.

I’m pretty comfortable if OU wins out, they’ll be in good shape. They still have at least 3 ranked opponents to play.

Grand58742
10-29-17, 21:51
This is straight up embarrassing. A completely inept "coach" at a university that generally is considered one of the blue bloods of college football.

And a nutless AD that won't sack up and fire him.

Jones should have been gone as of this morning.

JC5188
10-30-17, 08:13
This is straight up embarrassing. A completely inept "coach" at a university that generally is considered one of the blue bloods of college football.

And a nutless AD that won't sack up and fire him.

Jones should have been gone as of this morning.

Big contract?

chuckman
10-30-17, 08:17
I’m a Bama fan.

tOSU fan say what?

They talk the talk, they just can't walk the walk (see "2016"). Of all the teams in the top 10 that could be standing alone in January, they ain't one.

NYH1
10-31-17, 11:22
They may. But they have a history of finishing strong, and with one loss that all of a sudden doesn’t look as bad as it did? I don’t see how they have the same record and OSU displaces them. They curb-stomped them IN the shoe.

I know they are currently ranked above them, but that’s the AP poll not the committee. And the committee decides based on body of work at the end, and HU, and conf champs.

I’m pretty comfortable if OU wins out, they’ll be in good shape. They still have at least 3 ranked opponents to play.
After the Oklahoma game Ohio St. won big in the games they were supposed to win big in and beat Penn. St. Oklahoma has struggled in games they should have won big in and lost to Iowa St. That's why Ohio St. is ranked higher. Just how it works.

Like Notre Dame get church points, Ohio St. gets Urban points. ;)

NYH1.

chuckman
10-31-17, 11:43
After the Oklahoma game Ohio St. won big in the games they were supposed to win big in and beat Penn. St. Oklahoma has struggled in games they should have won big in and lost to Iowa St. That's why Ohio St. is ranked higher. Just how it works.

NYH1.

Good article about this very thing:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/RoadtoAtlanta103117/five-pressing-questions-cfp-committee-first-top-25-rankings

Right now Notre Dame is the best 1-loss team, and right now, Ohio (ugh...) is better than Penn State. That said, there's a lot of football left to play so none of those might make the playoffs. Ohio (ugh....) isn't better than Penn State or other 1-loss team, and I bet should they make the playoffs they will lay an egg. My top 4: 'Bama, Georgia, ND, Clemson. If Clemson wins out and wins the ACC, they will be in.

JC5188
10-31-17, 19:13

NYH1.

Like I said...AP poll means squat.

OU 5

tOSU 6

OU has the meat of the schedule left as well.

It’s a different era, gents.

FlyingHunter
10-31-17, 19:17
UGA Dawgs now #1 rank in the ESPN Top 25. Alabama #2.

NYH1
10-31-17, 20:10
Like I said...AP poll means squat.

OU 5

tOSU 6

OU has the meat of the schedule left as well.

It’s a different era, gents.
Not really, they'll pick who they want regardless. Penn. St. in fact beat Ohio St. and won the big 10 last year. How'd that work out for them? Don't get to caught up with head to head wins. The committee doesn't use logic like most of us.

If Ohio St. and Oklahoma both win out and win their conferences, Ohio St. will get in. Like I said....Ohio St. gets Urban points

NYH1.

JC5188
10-31-17, 20:21
Not really, they'll pick who they want regardless. Penn. St. in fact beat Ohio St. and won the big 10 last year. How'd that work out for them? Don't get to caught up with head to head wins. The committee doesn't use logic like most of us.

If Ohio St. and Oklahoma both win out and win their conferences, Ohio St. will get in. Like I said....Ohio St. gets Urban points

NYH1.

Well we’ll see[emoji106]

NYH1
10-31-17, 20:44
Hopefully Ohio St. loses and we won't have to worry about it! ;)

NYH1.

JC5188
11-01-17, 03:14
Hopefully Ohio St. loses and we won't have to worry about it! ;)

NYH1.

Lol, OU will break my heart you watch. [emoji14]

NYH1
11-01-17, 14:47
Ok.-Ok. St. game should be interesting. Why are they playing it this early this year?

NYH1.

NYH1
11-01-17, 14:55
Here we are again.

(7) Penn State at (24) Michigan State.
Syracuse at Florida State (had to put this one in here).
(15) Iowa State at West Virginia.
(4) Clemson at (20) NC State.
(21) Stanford at (25) Washington State.
(5) Oklahoma at (11) Oklahoma State (game of the week IMHO).
(19) LSU at (2) Alabama.
(13) Virginia Tech at (10) Miami, FL.
(22) Arizona at (17) USC.

NYH1.

chuckman
11-01-17, 15:15
Penn State should beat the crap out of Mich State. Penn State's coach should have that team ready after laying into them all week.

Clemson should take care of NC State, but State is a good team. I will not be surprised if State wins.

Va Tech will destroy Miami. Miami is the worst no-loss team out there.

Ok and OK State...that will be a very fun game.

JC5188
11-01-17, 15:18
Ok.-Ok. St. game should be interesting. Why are they playing it this early this year?

NYH1.

I think it’s because they expected them to play in the new “championship” game, and didn’t want it b2b.

NYH1
11-01-17, 15:36
I think it’s because they expected them to play in the new “championship” game, and didn’t want it b2b.
I never thought of that. The Big 12 doesn't have a split conference with 2 divisions like the other conferences have? How do the determine who makes their championship game?

NYH1.

NYH1
11-01-17, 15:37
Penn State should beat the crap out of Mich State. Penn State's coach should have that team ready after laying into them all week.

Clemson should take care of NC State, but State is a good team. I will not be surprised if State wins.

Va Tech will destroy Miami. Miami is the worst no-loss team out there.

Ok and OK State...that will be a very fun game.
Hard to argue with any of that.

NYH1.

Grand58742
11-01-17, 20:39

NYH1.

TV times.

Grand58742
11-01-17, 20:43
I never thought of that. The Big 12 doesn't have a split conference with 2 divisions like the other conferences have? How do the determine who makes their championship game?

NYH1.

Ah, early as in earlier than usual in the season.

No, the Big 12 doesn't have divisions. They will go by final conference record and final overall record to determine who gets in IIRC. If it was played tomorrow, it would be TCU and Iowa State.

NYH1
11-01-17, 22:49
Ah, early as in earlier than usual in the season.

No, the Big 12 doesn't have divisions. They will go by final conference record and final overall record to determine who gets in IIRC. If it was played tomorrow, it would be TCU and Iowa State.
Ok, thanks.

Wasn't there an NCAA rule that a conference had to have at least 12 teams in order to have a conference championship game? That's why the Big 10 couldn't have a conference championship game until they expanded. Did they do away with it?

NYH1.

chuckman
11-02-17, 07:21
Ok, thanks.

Wasn't there an NCAA rule that a conference had to have at least 12 teams in order to have a conference championship game? That's why the Big 10 couldn't have a conference championship game until they expanded. Did they do away with it?

NYH1.

I don't think it's a NCAA rule; the NCAA can't make that rule Probably more of a football conference association thing.

JC5188
11-02-17, 08:22

NYH1.

Round robin, then 1 v 2

ZGXtreme
11-02-17, 09:11

NYH1.

So there’s not a back to back Bedlam, as it was you’d play Bedlam the last game of the season, then the possibility of playing it again the following game in the worthless Championship Game.

NYH1
11-02-17, 10:48
I don't think it's a NCAA rule; the NCAA can't make that rule Probably more of a football conference association thing.
The Big 12 asked the NCAA to change the rule and the NCAA did. Here (https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/big-12-adding-championship-game-meetings-bob-bowlsby-060316). Not sure why they did it for the Big 12. They wouldn't let the Big 10, ACC or PAC 10 do it a few years back and the main reason they all expanded. That's how I remember there being the rule.

"After the Big 12 was left out of the first playoff, the conference began looking into reviving the championship game and petitioned for a change to NCAA rules to do it with a 10-team conference. The NCAA recently approved the Big 12’s request to allow conferences to hold football title games with less than the previously required 12 teams split into two divisions."

NYH1.

chuckman
11-02-17, 10:54
The Big 12 asked the NCAA to change the rule and the NCAA did. Here (https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/big-12-adding-championship-game-meetings-bob-bowlsby-060316). Not sure why they did it for the Big 12. They wouldn't let the Big 10, ACC or PAC 10 do it a few years back and the main reason they all expanded. That's how I remember there being the rule.

"After the Big 12 was left out of the first playoff, the conference began looking into reviving the championship game and petitioned for a change to NCAA rules to do it with a 10-team conference. The NCAA recently approved the Big 12’s request to allow conferences to hold football title games with less than the previously required 12 teams split into two divisions."

NYH1.

Thanks for that. I learned something today. The NCAA should have zero business in how it works out; it's frankly none of their business. Just like government intrusion, they get their tentacles into everything. I loathe the NCAA and this is just another reason why.

ZGXtreme
11-03-17, 14:38

NYH1.

The NCAA should’ve denied it. Having a championship game for a round robin conference is beyond stupid.

NYH1
11-04-17, 08:26
I think they'd be better off having two divisions like the other conferences. I don't get the round robin thing. Just me though.

NYH1.

HCrum87hc
11-04-17, 18:51
I was sweating bullets during that NC State game. Oh, and the big10 has imploded.

FlyingHunter
11-04-17, 19:29
Go Dawgs - handled their business with South Carolina. Auburn will be the next big test.